by MixMasterLar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:16 am

Hiryuu wrote:
Oh I still talk to him...

https://twitter.com/Gpop119/status/1318728829582610432

Oh word. Saw that account but didn't realize it was you lol
Posting Member

Re: When's BM6?

by Zounder » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi everyone! Glad to see familiar faces. I don't think I am going to be able to participate here, as I haven't touched anything DDR related in ages. (I've since moved on to making maps for Beat Saber, though even there I've been absent lately.) However, I will definitely be downloading these simfiles and enjoying the contest!
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Zounder wrote:Hi everyone! Glad to see familiar faces. I don't think I am going to be able to participate here, as I haven't touched anything DDR related in ages. (I've since moved on to making maps for Beat Saber, though even there I've been absent lately.) However, I will definitely be downloading these simfiles and enjoying the contest!

Oh man, hey there! :)
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:19 pm

lrxevan wrote:Song length is tricky because I know many folks really dislike the shorter song lengths of DDR Extreme. In the nDDRo days we went with the max length of the longest DDR song, which I believe was Kakumei at 1:51. However generally I think we grew to agree that it was okay for the steps to end at the 1:51 mark, rather than the length of the mp3 to be 1:51 at most.

While a set of 3 songs around 2 minutes nowadays seems like a rather short workout, I started to appreciate those short song lengths again when I was waiting at the Stepmania arcade machine nearby for one person to finish 3 full-length songs.

I think back in the day the consensus was that generally the cuts should be between 1:00 and 2:30, with both those endpoints being extremes. Apparently the shortest song ever in DDR is Jason Derulo's "In My Head" at 1:07 from DDR II (2011). Keep On Movin' is also 1:07.
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:10 am

Moonside wrote:...All of those files are at least seven years old by now lol, I wouldn't use them as a benchmark of anything...

Well, that's good but you'd think they'd choose some better charts for demo use, at least...

And I'm fine with the aforementioned 512x160 banners, 16:9 BGs and jackets for said future-proofing, too. I just think my main wondering was if this was going to be in some 'retro' pack or cab or something similar. I didn't know if that was the intention or if this was just your basic community pack, which it sounds like it more or less is.

As for song length, I'm pretty sure the 1m-2:30 ITG-esque length is fine but most I saw were between 1:30-2:15. Anything north or south of that was getting into it being way too short or too long.
Image / Image
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 am

Juub005 wrote:
Zounder wrote:Hi everyone! Glad to see familiar faces. I don't think I am going to be able to participate here, as I haven't touched anything DDR related in ages. (I've since moved on to making maps for Beat Saber, though even there I've been absent lately.) However, I will definitely be downloading these simfiles and enjoying the contest!

Yes, welcome back! I've missed you! Since you're going to download and follow the pack, I hope you still do ultimately decide to submit something!
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:58 pm

#Infinity wrote:
Juub005 wrote:

Yes, welcome back! I've missed you! Since you're going to download and follow the pack, I hope you still do ultimately decide to submit something!

Hello to both of you as well! We will have to catch up once the Discord gets going.
Posting Member

by chewiiii » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but I would be interested in a BEST-mix 6, depending on when it takes place. Especially if it's a focus on the classic style of DDR files.
ImageImageImageImage
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Am hyped

....anyone heard from Timer Rabbit yet? I dont think they posted here yet and I'd love to see them submit something
Posting Member

by Kewing » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:16 pm

OMG, what's this? An unexpected revival?

Maaann, it's been so long already. I caught the email out of pure coincidence.
I'm glad to see there's still so many people still around :)

Another Best mix, huh? I mostly quit both playing and simmaking not too long after last BM but I slowly got back into playing 3 or so years ago after getting a metal pad, and would very sporadically work on simfiles.
This year I have actually gone a lot more into chart making because of lockdown times, however, I don't really finish most of them; I'm extremely blocked on the art side of things, and lack the motivation to do so (I'd rather not release it than do it half assed or generic art)

While it would be really nice to see it happen, I doubt I would enter, because of that (also I'm not that much into tournaments anymore). I hope someday I can find someone to make art for my files. I also agree with what's been said that it might be appropriate to go for a more classic DDR style and fill in that gap.

But count on me hanging around :)
Why do you need SEGA Original Hedgehogs...?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Kewing wrote:I hope someday I can find someone to make art for my files.

Hi! BTW, this is totally allowed to have someone else do your artwork (has that been unclear?)! I bet someone here could be interested in providing some art if you were to enter! :D
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Kewing » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Oh, yeah, I understood that, but wasn't counting too much on it; if one already has enough work doing steps and graphics for themselves, imagine adding graphics for someone else on top of it hahahah. Besides I was also referring to all my files in general, not just the hypothetical one I would be subtmitting.

But, ok, we'll see how it goes :)
Why do you need SEGA Original Hedgehogs...?
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:36 am

Yooooo so 2021 happened

We still down to make this happen?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am

MixMasterLar wrote:Yooooo so 2021 happened

We still down to make this happen?

Yes! Coming between now and summer. More info soon!
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Titiln » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 pm

i'll definitely join, after all i won best-mix 2 so i never really retired, just took a quick 12 year break
same as it ever was
Posting Member

PreviousNext