FINAL RESULTS & WINNERS!

FINAL RESULTS & WINNERS!

by BLueSS » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 am

First off, I want to say thanks to all of you. Organizing these tournaments has been fun for me, and over the 9 (!) years of running simfile tournaments, I have enjoyed seeing the simfile community grow and change. I will miss running these tournaments, but it's also time for me to move on. I am glad to bring an official close to what has been quite a long run of tournaments (BEST-mix, and DDR OSC before that).

My goal with each tournament was to try to make it as fun and enjoyable as possible, and I feel that the number of returning entrants year after year really shows the quality and effort that everyone (not just myself) put into making this a fun tournament. Entrants files were great, moderators helped clean-up drama, others helped organize scoring results, and I am thankful to everyone.

For BEST-mix 5, I'd like to thank will-i-am for helping compile judging info (except the last 2 rounds), and Lisek for organizing the Community Pack!

Without any delay, here are the results.
The voting ballots are secret, so you get just the final totals.

DDR RESULTS
FIRST PLACE
12 Votes - Space Truckin' - Telperion

SECOND PLACE
11 Votes - ELECTRIC SHOCK - Zounder

THIRD PLACE
8 Votes - Vertex (Stage 1) - Kewing

6 Votes - Teknopathetic - Valex
5 Votes - CANDY GIRL - #Infinity
5 Votes - Ghost of Stephen Foster - Lisek
5 Votes - Russian Unicorn - Zero-X
4 Votes - Canonloid -memorandum- - cpubasic13
4 Votes - CONTROL YOUR MIND - y3v0n
4 Votes - MAX 300 takamatt MIN REMIX - Oni-91
3 Votes - FIREFLIES - itzJV
3 Votes - The Ultimate Grilling Restaurant! - Ronin
1 Votes - I'll be there for you Zero no tsukaima F - Greg
1 Votes - Totalimmortal - jammitch!
0 Votes - The Call Disconnected - k//eternal

ITG RESULTS

FIRST PLACE
9 Votes - Kung Fu Empire - sudzi781

SECOND PLACE
7 Votes - Rising - Chmurek
7 Votes - Twisted - Telperion

6 Votes - HAMMERHEAD - #Infinity
5 Votes - Hardkore of the North - cpubasic13
5 Votes - Muenzuka Set 02 Oriental Dark Flight - joe2
3 Votes - SOUND OF DELIGHT - Lisek
1 Votes - Brilliant 2U (AKBK Mix) - Valex
1 Votes - Pop - (-'Nsync Cover-) - rikame

Thanks everyone! And congratulations to the winners. :D
This was a fun, final BEST-mix.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: FINAL RESULTS & WINNERS!

by Hainaut » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 am

Congratulations to Telperion and sudzi781 for winning their respective brackets! Special congratulations to Zounder for getting a very close second place against Space Truckin' with Electric Shock, and to Kewing for coming in a solid third!

Thanks a lot to everyone who got Candy Girl to tie for 5th in the DDR Bracket and Hammerhead to finish 4th in the ITG division. Special thanks to BlueSS for 9 incredible years of running fair and balanced simfile tournaments. I think the DDR OSC and Best-Mix series have both produced some pretty fine entries, and your leadership has allowed these contests to survive for such a long time.

Anyone still interested in simfile designing is welcome to participate in the Halloween-themed SpookyMix 2012, currently open for reservations in the Simfile Discussion forum on this site.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:17 am

Wow! My best Best-Mix finish! I'm totally cool with 2nd, as Space Truckin' is certainly a deserving winner. Congrats Telp! As well as Kewing, sudzi, and Chmurek.

BlueSS, thanks for running all of these contests. It brought many hours of fun to all of us.

I hope to see you all around!
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 am

Congratulations to Telperion and sudzi781 for winning DDR and ITG respectively :)

Thanks to BlueSS for the stellar work he's put into running and judging for tournaments - Tournamix 6 where you were a reviewer (maybe some Tournamixes before then, too?), DDROSC (Original Step Contests) on Bemanistyle, and of course your own Best Mixes. The step community will miss you. Not many could bring people together and tame conflicts as you could, and it's going to be tough finding someone who can attract both DDR- and ITG-style stepmakers for a simple, non-themed tournament like this again.

Of course, as resilient as they used to be, dancing games of the DDR/ITG/PIU category are having trouble attracting new audiences to replace the old as they used to, perhaps giving way to the batch of motion-sensor-based games on modern systems. (I can't speak as an authority on this, of course, but it does seem to be true.) It was interesting to me to see the four years between DDR Extreme and DDR Supernova pass by, where many said DDR was on its way out (as Tournamix 6 closed the door to an era in stepfiles), but still stepfile competitions thrived and new generations of players came in to replace the old. The Roxor-Konami lawsuit concluded in the formal end of ITG, but r21 was there to keep the spirit alive. And PIU survives still (two newer machines in my university arcade!), but I was never aware of a single Pump competition myself. In any case, I was always a home-version DDR player (which, as Zounder has attested to in the past, has left a fairly visible mark on my style of stepfiles), and my favorite strictly DDR game memories come from DDR 1st, 3rd, DDRMAX US, and DDR Supernova US. From the time of Extreme 2 onward, though, it was really all about the stepfiles. All the DDRExtreme.co.uk (later DDREvolved) tournaments and packs, nDDRo (as dramatic as it was, sometimes), and of course the tournaments I mentioned above. And occasional releases on Bemanistyle, which is where for me it all started (remember Bemanisims?). But yeah, what made it for me was all you guys and your fun, imaginative creations. :)

Some are saying their goodbyes, but I think I'll be continuing to drop by personally myself. I hope to see some of you around :)
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 pm

That was a nice surprise to see coming back from work. I expected to come last. Tied 8th. Not bad, me. Competition was tough as hell this time. It's a shame that it's the last one, because in my opinion this one's was the most consistently good BEST-mix.

Aaaanyway, congrats to Telperion for coming 1st and also 2nd. Congrats to sudzi for winning the ITG bracket. Congrats to everyone who made the finals. Congrats to everyone who didn't make the finals, because your files were nearly all keepers. Congrats to BlueSS for sticking by BM for so long and letting it out to pasture. Dammit, congrats to everyone.

I really hope this isn't the end for big sim contests. I know z-i-v will keep going until electricity stops existing, and r21freak will cater for the ITG lot just as well, but to me BM felt like it was the big one. One that brought together all the sites for a big knees-up. And for the most part we've got along with each other and it's been great fun. Granted, I'm not giving up simming, not by a long shot. I just don't know how many are still going to join me :/

Holy crap I made a semi-long-ish post.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Lisek » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:57 pm

And so it has come to the end.

Yay, two of my favourite files won both categories :D I L-O-V-E Space Truckin', it's so much fun and Kung Fu Empire was brilliantly simmed Nekomata song. I recently downloaded all of the Telperion's simfiles from Z-I-V, loving most of them.

I'm also really happy with how my files turned out. 5th place? That's awesome :D It turned better than I thought it will, thanks for all the votes!

Thanks and see you somewhere else :)
Posting Member

by rikame » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah, considering the fact that I still have no idea why Pop made it this far in the first place I'm glad that it did, well, as well as it did. Lots of really good files here, and congrats to sudzi and telephones for winning their respective brackets! Thanks for the sweet tournament yall
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow, I got a vote somewhere! And it wasn't me!

Congrats to the top five; they were all pretty good files, if not in the order I'd have put them :)

Hopefully everyone enjoyed PPTSotR at least, and I might stop by Z-i-V at some point if the itch strikes me. (r21freak, on the other hand, I don't think I'll ever be visiting if I can help it.) Otherwise, friend me on Steam or XBLA if you'd like to keep in touch.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Bit late to the party, but it's never too late to celebrate. Congrats to the winners! Congrats to the finalists! And, most importantly, congrats to everyone for giving this legendary series one last go! Especially to "telephones" haha.

I must say, it's been quite the journey participating in these contests since DDR OSC 5. I learned so much about computers from this hobby that I swear I wouldn't have had the patience to put up with had I been forced to learn all the technical stuff, from dealing with audio and graphics editing programs to managing windows explorer, through an alternative that I didn't wholeheartedly enjoy. The progress everyone has made since the beginning is just amazing. I'm so glad we all decided to give simfiling a chance. All we ever wanted to do was to make some fun custom step charts, but we ended up accomplishing so much more. Our common desires evolved into a community-wide need to create forward-thinking DDR step charts that surpassed Konami's (and later, ITG step charts that surpassed Roxor's) that, maybe a little too suddenly, only became second nature.

I wouldn't trade this nearly decade long adventure for any other online partaking. I've met some cool people along the way that I will keep in touch with regardless if I continue making simfiles for much longer or at the pace that I've been pushing myself to keep up with. I do think I'll continue to stick around to check on everyone's work whether or not I actually contribute myself. It doesn't seem right to put this all behind me just yet.

All in all, through the vendettas and harmonies, I've thoroughly enjoyed the company of such colorful minds. Unlimited thanks to BLueSS for sticking around even after officially quitting, and for trusting me enough to keep track of vote counts, and to everyone who encouraged me to go above and beyond the call of duty. Keep on doing great things. Image
Posting Member

by Kewing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:34 am

Wow.

Look at that... It seems I'll have to eat my own words. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting it. I loved the end result but I thought it would end up like the many other I've done in the past. Seems like in the very end, it finally paid off a little.
In any way, congratulations to the winners (very well deserved) all the other contestants, regardles of where you placed; like many have already said, the quality of all files in this Best-Mix was consistently high and the final voting kind of reflects that. I must specially thank #Inifnity for doing the graphics in my latest entries; wouldn't have done it without, man. And of course, thanks to BlueSS for hosting all these sim competitions; not only it kept the community going all this time, but without these events I don't think I would have ended up going as far and polish my skills in simmaking as I've done.

I can't believe it's been already 8 or so years since I started fiddling around with stepmania edit mode. Never would I have thought it would evolve into something as big as it's been for me. It just started as something for kicks, because I wanted to play sims of songs that I liked but nobody had made. Something purely for myself. And here am I; it's been a long way, and a fun one at that. Thanks for all the support guys, even more when I went away with rather odd/uncommon song choices haha. While this is pretty much the end of simmaking for me, I can't deny I might give it a shot sometime, if just for old time's sake. Besides I still have a few decent files that never got released, and I might toss them up at my z-i-v account some time.

Anyway, tl;dr: Thanks a lot. It's been a lot of fun. I hope to see you guys around and whatever you keep churning out.
Why do you need SEGA Original Hedgehogs...?
Posting Member

by Valex » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 am

4th place YEAH

Thanks for all the support guys, as well as all the ~fun times~ I'm not done with simfiling, but (as many of you probably know by now lol) my interests nowadays are primarily in the ITG spectrum so I'm basically focusing on that. I'll do my best to stick around the DDR parts of the community though, I've certainly had some fun times

It's too bad I didn't get (for my own standards) "good" at simfiling until the final Best-Mix, but at least I was able to go out strong :P
Posting Member

by Telperion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Just got back from a tourney this weekend and now I can post again~

Whoa. I know you guys liked my files, but...wow. I'm flattered 8] Such a difference compared to my placement last BEST-mix. Congratulations to everybody who made it to finals - I'm glad to see that the votes were close, the top positions deserved a good fight. Even though Teknopathetic and MAX 300 rmx finished well I still think they were robbed haha. Special shoutouts to sudzi781 and Chmurek in the ITG bracket. A well-deserved win and tie, for sure. And shoutouts to all who participated; you made this event the go-to comp that it was. We put aside petty differences and arguments (for the most part) and had a wonderful last fling, and you all are to blame~

Well, I think it's safe to say that I won't quit simfiling for a while yet. I'm too new to the game ;) Like Valex, my primary target is now ITG instead of DDR, but I'll continue to try to provide a didder experience in my lower difficulties, both single and double. I'm also going to try breaking into the Pump customs scene; there's less opportunity to pad-test charts but sooooo much to mess with, and people like Lisek give me the impetus to branch out. You can find my past, present and future work on Zenius and r21freak.

Hope to see everybody continue to make simfiles and enter contests! I'm sad to see BEST-mix and its great cross-section of the different sim communities go, but we don't have to split up, you know :] Go submit to SpookyMix and r21freak Doubles (and End of 2012 and SMProject comp when it's time)!
Image Image
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I'll definitely miss you guys. Make sure to post on the forums here when you guys release new & interesting files!
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin