Bracket 1 - RESULTS & SCORES

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Bracket 1 - RESULTS & SCORES

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Scores [pdf - recommended due to awesome visuals]
Scores [htm - ugly, but works too]

Link to Judge's comments

File #4 had a slight gap above #5, but look at the gap between files 3 and 4! :shock:

The top 4 from each bracket will receive:
1st Place - 1.5 extra votes in the final round (.5 for tiebreaking advantage)
2nd Place - 1 extra vote
3rd Place - 0.5 extra vote (.5 for tiebreaking advantage)
4th Place - No extra vote

Final round voting will be the "vote for however many you want, 1 point for each vote" type that we've had in the past.

Congratulations to the top 4 and to the rest, good job too. :) There was a lot of good feedback in the judging and the PRs this bracket! I feel that the B1 judges really did a great job too! Thanks judges. :D
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: Bracket 1 - RESULTS & SCORES

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Congrats to you top 4! I can say all of you definitely deserve to be up there.

It's disappointing to see that Son of Sun didn't advance, though. It was easily one of my favorites in the bracket, and the judges were in its favor, but the PR's didn't seem to help very much.

Kachoufuusetsu was also a good file, and for a boss song it did really well based on how boss songs normally do in tournies. I don't think I've ever seen one end up that high in the standings, so that's definitely an accomplishment.

Anyway, I'd like to say I found something to enjoy in every single one of these files, and if I may have seemed a little harsh in some of my judging, which I hope I was being nice for the most part, I apologize. Most of what I said in my review was there to help you with any future simfiles you'll make, and I think of it as some advice besides just giving you a score.
Posting Member

by JukuGuy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:24 pm

^
I think you were just as much more nicer than I was. ;)

And woah, yeah I'm pretty much shocked with my results. I mean, it's my second time entering a tournament so why should I be? Hehe.

To be honest, yeah I think I've worked hard just to make those charts seem accurate and enjoyable both at the same time, but I wouldn't have expected it to become at LEAST top 3 based on how tight the bracket was. Thanks, really you guys. Everyone.

And thanks to you irxrevan especially for giving me a perfect score? I wouldn't have least exceed my expectations to a perfect file, though I feel you were being way to curtious. :roll: But really, thanks.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Wow my favorites were ALL at the top, congrats! :)
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I thought Release Me was the best file in Bracket 1 easily. There were a lot of VERY CLOSE contenders though including the entries from #Infinity (best file from him I've seen in a while) and jammitch! both of which placed. I wasn't really fair in my comments about Release Me so if I could elaborate:

There was a lot of really great execution. Every step made sense coming off the previous note. I thought the turns were remarkably tasteful for a fan-made stepfile. I really felt like if someone asked me "what's release me's gimmick?" before playing it at the arcade, I could tell them about it. I could say something other than "this is a standard 8 feet file," maybe say "it has difficult turns." It challenges players at that difficulty in a correct and DDR-like way.

I too am disappointed by Sun of Son not advancing. That file really deserved to place. Ah well.
This special title makes me look cool.

by Super_Ray » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Glad you guys got a kick out of the bgas (well, will.i.a.m seemed to and lrexevan said he was enjoy) in my file. The steps were kind of serious, but I wasn't too enthusiastic regarding stepfiling at the time, so I threw in the bgas because I figured the steps would turn out a bit lackluster.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 pm

@Chmurek: Regarding M22, I don't think I could have done quarter-quarter there because the eighth note synth would have been conspicuously missing - it either had to be the hold, or three eighth notes. I did the former on Heavy, and the latter on Challenge. I didn't want to end on a step-jump or break the run, so I repeated the motif from earlier (which is a part of the song I'm really partial to).

@will-i-am: The last pattern repeating for six measures rather than four... it's fair to say that's a tad repetitive, but it was necessary to lead in to the end. I tried to make sure I grabbed a representative sample of the song. It's made out of a lot of the same building blocks, but they're moved around a lot, so I don't think it's too repetitive.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying my file this time around, and I agree with the top four at a glance (although not necessarily so much beyond that).
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 pm

lol, thanks for the re-assurance, Juku. ;)

I played your Heavy chart again and I realized what you did with all your double-stepping, and found a way to run through the chart without getting too caught up in the freezes with the little tricky turns in them. I can see now why Evan gave you a perfect score for that, and if I noticed this earlier I may have given you a higher score. Congrats anyway for advancing!

And jammitch!, that's why I took only .25 off of the whole Heavy chart. I didn't consider it perfect, which is why I deducted, but I still really liked it. It was probably a bit unfair to take points away for slight repetitiveness, but yeah I definitely liked it overall so no worries. :)
Posting Member

by Spork! » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Totally disappointed that I didn't succeed to get myself into the finals, but I guess it happens. I like how I either got a really high rating or a subpar rating from both the public and the judges, depending on the actual tastes. Guess that shows that you just can't please everyone ;)

Good luck in the finals, guys!
Posting Member

by Valex » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

:-(
Posting Member

by Zounder » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Remember how I beat DGJ by .1 or something like that for 5th(?) place in BM1? I suppose this is retribution, although on a much lesser scale, since this isn't the finals. =P

Congrats to the rest of the top 4, and thanks to the judges for the comments and their time.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Aww, too bad about Barbie Girl and Anjelier. Congratulations to the top 4, especially for Juku because I believe this is his first contest?
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:50 pm

First OSC/BEST-mix contest for him. Magaling, pinoy!

I noticed that you made a little mistake in the score sheet. I gave Kachoufuusetsu a 23.5 instead of a 23.25. It's not a very big difference, but that should definitely be changed to the correct score if possible.
Posting Member

by Leticia » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 am

Not surprised. I think criticism of my file it was pretty fair. Actually, the reason Megaman and Air Man were blurred was because they had a really ugly white border that I couldn't get rid of because of my own Photoshop stupidity. It was a quick fix, albeit a terrible one.

My submission to the Community Pack will be much better, I assure you.

Edit: I've been using the same CD Title for forever, and this is the first time I've heard that it was HUGE. It's definitely smaller the Hello Project CD Title, in both dimensions and file size, and that has no criticism, so uhh... Yeah, run that by me again, lrxevan.
This account belongs to Trick Master Mint.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 am

will-i-am wrote:First OSC/BEST-mix contest for him. Magaling, pinoy!

I noticed that you made a little mistake in the score sheet. I gave Kachoufuusetsu a 23.5 instead of a 23.25. It's not a very big difference, but that should definitely be changed to the correct score if possible.

Fixed and updated on the scoring sheets. It did not change it's place at all, so nothing else to report.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Next