BRACKET 1 - DISCUSSION

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Re: BRACKET 1 - DISCUSSION & DOWNLOAD

by Aki » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:59 am

Haha~ Thanks guys! I knew the old-generation players would appreciate it~

...and again, sorry if the file got corrupt.

Time for some quickies...

I think Ray's aim with S.P.A.M. is the WTF factor, which I had with the BGA XD ...it could've been less esoteric though

Well, I don't have a problem with Kachoufuusetsu's cut, and i'm a IIDX player too. My only gripe would be the exaggerated steps at heavy. It made me feel like it's 2003-2004 once again, when heavy required heavy 16th notes to be "awesome".

Airman ga Taosenai reminds me of the way I did graphics back then, blurred. You could've found high-resolution graphics of airman and rockman. Or go chibi :3

And... am I the only one that facepalmed on Barbie Girl Challenge? ...but then, I am thankful I didn't choose Robin Robin Hood by Jenny Rom.

and... edit: I'll just have to wait for Jammitch's explanation for the 1/5 rating >:3
Last edited by Aki on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by TheBaldOneMpls » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:30 am

Kinda find it funny that out of 16 songs, we have two from the Kumikyoku itself (Airman and Invisible Moon) and a third by a singer with three songs in the Kumikyoku (Super Driver).
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 am

Thanks for the link to the codec, BLueSS, but nothing seems to be working. I also tried the re-encoded .mp3 you uploaded and that just made the skipping worse.

I figured I would try playing the file in a different Stepmania set-up, to see if it was just the Stepmania I was playing in that had the problem, but the skipping in the song still occurred.

I think this problem may be a bit more serious and has to do with my more internal computer settings. I remember a couple years ago I could play every file on my Stepmania, but after my computer went through a crash and was thankfully revived, I remember I found a number of files that mysteriously became unplayable. Out of the couple thousand files I had back then, only about 5 or so files were corrupt, so the chance of any file playing as a corrupt file is very slim.

I will try playing this file on another computer, though. I know there must be something wrong with my settings for the computer I'm using now. I should be able to get the file to play on a separate computer with no problem.

I'd still like to know where the music file originally came from, since the most common reason why this happens is because of an .flv to .mp3 conversion or possibly another video to music conversion. It would just be a reference, and I'd at least know some root of the problem instead of just walking away from this without a clue of how this happened.
Posting Member

by The Period » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 am

will-i-am wrote:I'd still like to know where the music file originally came from, since the most common reason why this happens is because of an .flv to .mp3 conversion or possibly another video to music conversion. It would just be a reference, and I'd at least know some root of the problem instead of just walking away from this without a clue of how this happened.

Not, is a really .mp3 source, as I explain lines after.

BLueSS wrote:
will-i-am wrote:Okay, Angelier's .mp3 is still corrupt even after I re-downloaded the pack multiple times.

I have uploaded an *unofficial* re-encoding of Angelier.
http://best-mix.net/BM3/Fixes/

See if that might help? I have not tested it, as my original one works fine.

Also regarding codecs, the K-Lite Codec Pack always plays whatever I've needed, so I recommend installing it.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_sof ... 5250&s=775

ADDITIONALLY: The original link has been updated to include the AVI for Son of Sun (which should have been included). If you don't have the avi, you can download just it in the fixes link above, or the link posted on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks BlueSS.

I´m so sorry will-i-am for the issue.
The source was a .mp3 300+ kbps but my PC is kinda "old" (256 ram), and I used CoolEdit Pro to make this cut. So I noticed that it save files using "MP3 Pro" codec instead of LAME. This Is very probably the cause of this issue. I´ll re-encode next contest.

I´m so sorry again cpubasic13 for the bga issue.
I tried SM4 once last year I guess. Since then, I don´t want to have it until the final release. I´m using SM 3.9, so it should work well there. For SM 4 alpha 4, as well as i said I didn´t tried it.
____

Quickly and try-to-unbias review

-Son of Sun rules.
-MY BOY and Super Driver are high energetic songs, I like a lot playing this kind of songs in my SM... but there are some steps that didn´t convinced me at all. "why the purpose?! why the purpose?!" you know, "for every 16th I find I shall kill you"
-Can´t beat Airman and Back2Back were too straight to WOW me. I guess I should play them again. BTW those files are a bit funnier than Come Back to Me and nearly Release Me.
-I absolutely don´t know what to say about Kachoufuusetsu (Nice IIDX crossover, but It should be a boss, but is affordable and nice to play... but isn´t a boss, but it´s challenging, but it´s not a boss!... yeah, I know this title is in red, but I couldn´t consider it as a boss, I guess because the BPM, or by instinct, so for me it isn´t a boss), so I´m confused.
-Come Back to me, I guess i saw this before... Anything Goes I guess? well, as every #Infinity files, nice, solid but generic to WOW me. I want to play your Final Impact to see how competitive are you.
-Release me and Come Back to Me seems solid as hell, their charts fix ok on DDR concept and I think they are ok but didn´t WOW me.
-Lost... now I know why this title. I get lost when played.
-This time I must feedback nobody (neither super_ray for the looooooooooooooong SPAM and the failed randomness) so I guess my file was the "less epic" one, so I´m waiting more criticism by your side.
-jammitch! nice job with the video reviews!
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 am

Alright, thanks for the response. It's interesting to see it's probably just a codec issue instead. But no biggie. I'm sure I'll be able to play it on a different computer.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 am

Akira wrote:And... am I the only one that facepalmed on Barbie Girl Challenge?

No. I facepalmed. The only thing missing that would mean it used every note type available in Stepmania is rolls and fake notes.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am

Ok, I took a look at the double charts, and they were good, specially Kachoufuusetsu, although that would be hell to play, it's so much harder and stamina draining than single :shock: . My Boy was good fun too, and barbie girl had it moments of win, and also had it's moments of :| .

The couple chart of back2back was...meh lol. Not much going on there, I would have preferred a good double chart instead. BTW, the challenge chart of back2back is so much better than Expert, you should have scrapped Expert and made Challenge the new Expert.
Posting Member

by The Period » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:30 am

JukuGuy wrote:BTW, I 100% completely agree with everyone that your sim, hands down, was the best out of this bracket. So good luck to you, and sooner or later I will post on my review. I'm really enjoying this bracket, and its great to see that the sims I've played so far aren't as bad to be honest.

Really?, I think Son of Sun is more epic than back2back, b2b is too straight, orthodox to be better than Son of Sun, I think.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm

I can't help but laugh at the video reviews.

Oh my god.

Then again I can do crossover 8th note runs at 220 BPM hitting every step and having a blast doing so, so my thoughts are completely different on what are "awkward" or not.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 pm

@ jammitch!
-you mentioned in the beginning of the review whether there was something to those graphics, and they're based on the cover for Shonen Knife's Genki Shock! album cover (which looks kinda similar). I tried to replicate it (to a degree) in Adobe Illustrator. Anyway, the review was fair enough. Thanks for taking time to play and review everything.
Posting Member

by Valex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 pm

A note about the sync for Like This; it was fine for me when I played it, but I have worse timing than most of the SM community, so the excess Perfects/Greats you guys got probably just looked like regular lack of skill to me

So really it's a limitation of my own, so just take that into consideration (I would have had somebody else playtest it but releasing it to somebody else via the internet would have defeated the point and nobody else I know where I am IRL plays above Beginner)

Out of last place is good enough for me though :-D
Posting Member

by Xythar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:06 pm

re: Anjelier's readme, haha what

Yes Romaji doesn't exist which is clearly why the Japanese use it constantly

"Now, imagine a Japanese folk arriving to your country and playing in any hacked ITG cabinet any song with lyrics in romanji...
... How would he think about you?"

probably the same way they'd feel about seeing romaji in any of the 5,000,000 places it's written in japan

I'll give you another hint as well: Japanese keyboards don't have kana on the keys.

P.S. it's "romaji"
Posting Member

by Leticia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Akira wrote:Airman ga Taosenai reminds me of the way I did graphics back then, blurred. You could've found high-resolution graphics of airman and rockman. Or go chibi :3

I literally heard about this contest the day before the files were due and threw this all together, from scratch, rather quickly. That means finding a song, cutting the mp3, constructing the file, and making the graphics. I did everything my power to avoid using Gaussian Blur but then screwed something up and couldn't fix it. Those graphics were done on the due date, and I really didn't want to spend hours working on making stellar graphics with a headache. Not much of an excuse, though. I'm sure I could've done better had I the motivation and the time.
This account belongs to Trick Master Mint.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 pm

@CoreyBlaze: I was working on doubles, until I decided that it really didn't bring anything new to the table. I felt like I was writing the same steps again, but with 8 arrows instead of 4, so I quit. The couples steps, on the other hand, are genuinely different to some degree, and this song is too call-and-response to pass it up.

As for "not much going on there", it's a 6, and it's supposed to be a 6. You clearly like harder charts, but that's not what I was going for this time. FWIW, I think the Heavy is better than the Challenge, and I'm a strong believer in always doing five single charts. If I had a 9 foot Heavy then I wouldn't have had anywhere to go with the Challenge chart, and I'd have a 6 foot light chart. Not much bugs me more in IIDX than a 10+ Hyper chart with no Another. Plus, having a fiancée who plays 6s and 7s gives me a different perspective on these things. :D

@cpubasic: Funny in what way? It sounds like you're implying that I'm a bad player who doesn't know what I'm talking about, but I might be misreading that. I'm not the best player on a pad, and I never claimed to be, but I can tell the difference between real crossovers, double-stepping and a mix of the two even if I can't quite keep up at that speed.

Also, I just started playing again last month after not really playing for three years because I finally moved out of a 3rd floor apartment, so I'm still out of practice. And no, there aren't any arcades around here.

My tastes were never the same as everyone else's anyway.

Regardless, I'm going to KB the harder ones and see if my mind changes at all.

@Super_Ray: I'll compare the two and adjust the presentation score accordingly. At most, it'll be a half-point gain.

@Akira: You'll have to ask Osprey - she supplied the ratings for Standard, from the eyes of an actual Standard player (gasp). I didn't see much of it, although I remember some long LDRD runs, which definitely feel like 9-foot territory, which should be done sparingly on Standard. Also, as I said, we're trying to use the whole scale, so 1 isn't "total fail" (there were no 0s), but it's clear she didn't find it very fun. I'll see if she wants to come on and elaborate beyond what she said in the video.

EDIT: After discussing it, I'm gonna go and replay everything that's an 8 or higher on Standard myself, since that's a bit out of Osprey's range.
Last edited by jammitch! on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Spork! » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Oh yeah, Jammitch! Sorry about making Kachoufuusetsu so hard, it just felt right the way it got made :-S
Thanks for that presentation score, BTW ;)
Posting Member

PreviousNext