ROUND 2 - APRIL MADNESS!

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

ROUND 2 - APRIL MADNESS!

by BLueSS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Forget March Madness and the silly college basketball... we've got APRIL MADNESS!

With the finalists that made it through round 1, we're going to have a new and different way of deciding the winner. Instead of a single popularity vote, there will be a series of head to head simfile battles, NCAA Bracket Style.

Files have been randomly matched up with a song from a different bracket, with one file receiving a bye for the first round due to their only being 15 files.

LINK TO THE BRACKET

Whatever file gets the most votes moves on! BUT, each vote must have a reason why the file is better than the other.

BOLD your choice as well please!

There will be a thread for each battle. Once the thread goes a day without a new vote or reaches 15 votes, it is locked. Any possible new rounds will start. If a file hits 15 votes and it is within 1 vote (7/8 vote), I will extend the voting to 21. First one to reach 21 wins.

You cannot vote in the battle your own file is in.

Any questions?
Last edited by BLueSS on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:11 pm

And to preemptively answer the question, "Won't us not voting for our own show what file is ours?" no, it won't.

Unless you vote for all but one of the brackets, then it might. But things can change at different levels of the brackets to throw some guesses off...
Site Admin

by DGJ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 pm

so should be bold our vote or something to make it easier to pick out when the inevitable debate/discussions pop up in the threads?
Image Image
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Yes, that would greatly help.

I started reading the first few replies and I had to actually... read it to find out which one was the one they were voting for. I was going to read it anyway, but it will be less confusing if it's bolded.
Site Admin

by DGJ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:16 pm

east battles 2-4 and west battles 1 and 2 have gone 24 hours without anymore votes
Image Image
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 am

3 - Round 1 Battles left

2 - NEW Round B (or 2) Battles
*NEW RULE* - YOU MUST VOTE IN ALL 4 BATTLES! (Only two are up right now) - If you have a file in the top 8, you can vote, and are allowed to vote for your own.
THIS ONLY APPLIES TO ROUND 2 BATTLES!

EAST BATTLE B1 - Chou! vs With Your Smile
WEST BATTLE B1 - Levan Polkka vs Time To Move
Last edited by BLueSS on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 am

Site Admin

by DGJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:35 am

how will stuff like third and forth place be figured?
Image Image
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:41 am

DGJ wrote:how will stuff like third and forth place be figured?

You're such a traditionalist. :P
Why do we need a third or fourth? I don't think we do... especially since a "third or fourth place file" could have been knocked out in the first ladder of round 2. Thus the end resulting "third" place might have actually been 6th, but just was in an easier ladder bracketing.

There's only one winner anyway. :wink:
Site Admin

by DGJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:44 am

haha, i was going to add "or is that not important in this tournament?" but couldn't figure out a way to say it without sounding like i was complaining or talking down the tournament.

just curious, thanks :D
Image Image
Posting Member

by sanchny » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:01 am

BLueSS wrote:*NEW RULE* - YOU MUST VOTE IN ALL 4 BATTLES! (Only two are up right now)

When does voting close? I'm gonna be gone for a few days.
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:59 am

Okay, first off I apologise if people think I'm taking this too seriously, but this has to be said...

Anyone else get the impression that they are making up the rules to this contest as they go along?

Certain battles in the 2nd round have ended because they hadn't had any votes in 24 hours, and the rest of the battles have been kept open. This of course means that the songs in the other battles that are losing have more time to allow people to vote for them and for them to possibly even win.

This just smacks of unfairness and inequality in my eyes - you should apply the same rules and deadlines to all files to allow for a fair result. Wouldn't it have just been easier and fairer to just say "all voting will close by XX:XX on XX/XX/2008"?

Sour grapes on my part? Perhaps - I think it's obvious to a crapload of the people playing the contest which entry I made, but I just can't see how you can justify giving certain songs more time to amass votes while cutting off other songs prematurely. It's clear that people have automatically voted for the battles that their favourite files feature in first, but in doing this they've neglected the other battles.

If this is how the Best-Mix contests are going to work, I doubt I'll be entering another one...

And yes, before anyone says it, I know this is a "fun contest", but even fun contests should have the same ruleset applied to every file.
DDRExtreme.co.uk REVISITED - Video Games event now playing!
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:12 am

the_ditz wrote:
Certain battles in the 2nd round have ended because they hadn't had any votes in 24 hours, and the rest of the battles have been kept open. This of course means that the songs in the other battles that are losing have more time to allow people to vote for them and for them to possibly even win.

This just smacks of unfairness and inequality in my eyes - you should apply the same rules and deadlines to all files to allow for a fair result. Wouldn't it have just been easier and fairer to just say "all voting will close by XX:XX on XX/XX/2008"?

I agree here. Who knows how long some of these battles will go on if the no posts in 24 hrs rule is applied arther than setting a deadline.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:51 am

And besides, does anyone think this bracket thing is also a bit unfair compared to BM1? I enjoy it enough at DDRExtreme.co.uk with its Survivor Max contest because that's really just a side competition for fun, but when it's serious as it is here, luck seems to play out more than ever.

I don't like it that a good simfile can be pitted against another good simfile and vice versa, it makes it possible for worse files to easily beat out better ones simply based on the luck of the bracket they end up in. Best-Mix 1 was fair in giving all files a near-equal chance of winning (only difference includes separate reviews for both brackets; all scores are averaged and compared in one), but now seeing some fantastic entries going against a very tough fight and ulitmately losing, whereas Otso Otso, a file with horrendous sound quality, won this round by default and has already made it to the quarter-finals. If this were Best-Mix 1, I doubt it would've seen the light past Round 1.
Posting Member

by DGJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:10 am

the_ditz wrote:Certain battles in the 2nd round have ended because they hadn't had any votes in 24 hours, and the rest of the battles have been kept open. This of course means that the songs in the other battles that are losing have more time to allow people to vote for them and for them to possibly even win.

they also have an equal chance to continue losing, so i'm not really sure what your point is. the only way it could be advantageous is if someone saw they were losing and recruited a bunch of people to vote for them. but given that this isn't some anonymous poll voting, if a bunch of people suddenly registered to post votes i'm pretty sure people would figure it out.

the_ditz wrote:This just smacks of unfairness and inequality in my eyes - you should apply the same rules and deadlines to all files to allow for a fair result. Wouldn't it have just been easier and fairer to just say "all voting will close by XX:XX on XX/XX/2008"?

okay, do that. then you'll have brackets which got far less votes than others because people simply weren't interested in the files. is that fair?

the_ditz wrote:Sour grapes on my part? Perhaps - I think it's obvious to a crapload of the people playing the contest which entry I made, but I just can't see how you can justify giving certain songs more time to amass votes while cutting off other songs prematurely. It's clear that people have automatically voted for the battles that their favourite files feature in first, but in doing this they've neglected the other battles.

what? amass votes? it's not like votes carry over and are figured into your final score or anything.

the_ditz wrote:And yes, before anyone says it, I know this is a "fun contest", but even fun contests should have the same ruleset applied to every file.

every file got the same 15-vote/24-hour rule.

Super_Ray wrote:I agree here. Who knows how long some of these battles will go on if the no posts in 24 hrs rule is applied arther than setting a deadline.

i don't know, maybe when they get to 15-votes or people stop voting in them after the deadline has already passed?

#Infinity wrote:I don't like it that a good simfile can be pitted against another good simfile and vice versa, it makes it possible for worse files to easily beat out better ones simply based on the luck of the bracket they end up in. Best-Mix 1 was fair in giving all files a near-equal chance of winning (only difference includes separate reviews for both brackets; all scores are averaged and compared in one), but now seeing some fantastic entries going against a very tough fight and ulitmately losing, whereas Otso Otso, a file with horrendous sound quality, won this round by default and has already made it to the quarter-finals. If this were Best-Mix 1, I doubt it would've seen the light past Round 1.

looking at the big picture, so what? yeah otso otso advances but it's not like it has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. the "best" file will still take top honors, and isn't that what's important? as for other ranks, bluess has already said that's not a factor in this tournament.
Image Image
Posting Member

Next