SIXTH EVENT: Doubles Charts

/Plays Olympics theme. *Games begin soon!*

SIXTH EVENT: Doubles Charts

by BLueSS » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:53 am

...probably just heavy, unless we have time to play more.

This is the last event for the BM2 Olympics. :)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by DGJ » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

this is the most difficult to choose from, so for right now i'm just gonna say

superstar
wow
Image Image
Posting Member

by Zounder » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Don't know much about doubles but here goes...

Turd Surfers
Mother Nature
Starstruck
Fat Lip
Superstar
WOW
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:35 pm

For those who may not know, I rarely play singles charts in arcades. I play doubles on DDR/Pump 90% of the time, so I have a bit more experience than the other two judges in this area.

A few general comments about the doubles chart entries:
1) Keep in mind that moving back and forth between two pads takes much more work. Thus, if you had a 4 panel chart that included a lot of 12th/16th notes and it worked there, don't just throw them over to doubles. Doubles should be slightly less technical for the compared difficulty level. Many of the groove radars for these files greatly reflect that.
2) Crossovers. Few of the were done well. Unless you have lots of time to move to the other panel, crossing from say up-right to down-left for the next 8th note is *not* a good thing (especially if it's a relatively moderate-high BPM). This is harder to pickup on if you haven't played much doubles though.
3) Staying in the very middle between pads (1P right & 2P left) isn't fun either. Don't make the doubles player stay in the middle.

My Recs:
Turd Surfers - A little demanding in the fast runs, but all the crossovers were executed successfully. This is slightly harder than I can easily pass, but still an excellent chart.

Mother Nature - Best crossovers out of the doubles charts. There in the bridge(?) part of the song, and they were really fun.

Starstruck - Take out the hands and I don't have anything to complain about.

Fat Lip - Jumps in the chorus were a little spread out, but still reasonable to hit. I give a warning about the crossovers during the slow sections: they work because of the slower bpm in that part, but if you were to put those in the fast section it'd be a mess. This chart didn't mess them up though, and the jumps were fun.

Superstar - Good use of freezes in the chorus.

WOW - My favorite doubles chart from this mix. Fun, not overly complicated, and moves back and forth on the pads.

Side Comments:
Liar Game - Crashed SM3.9
Mario Paint - Long Freezes with slow BPM songs aren't as fun on doubles. We want to go from pad to pad.
EGGMAN - had potential, but awkward crossovers killed it.
Professional Party People - Really technical. If it was in ITG, someone might like it...
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:37 pm

haha, I think Zounder has some good doubles picking skills, considering we both picked the exact same six - and I didn't notice that until putting the two together. :P

-Three Recommendations- (Moving on)
Superstar
WOW

-Two Recommendations-
Turd Surfers
Mother Nature
Starstruck
Fat Lip

-One Recommendation-
None

Looks like a solid 6 files to me.