BRACKET 1 - DISCUSSION

First time there's been a tie for first; and it's a three-way. :o

Moderator: MODS

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Bracket 1's just got too much MAX

New pages always pop up when I don't want them to...
Posting Member

by Kamek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:40 pm

I've never really enjoyed the simfile tournaments for this very reason: people judge files based on what THEY like (I'm probably guilty of this too), or by who can make the best remix of MAX 300. There are really only a few ways you can actually screw up a simfile: bad sync/tempo, yellow/blue/whatever color arrow syndrome, or just flat-out making retardedly hard steps that nobody could ever pass on a pad. Other than that, it's mostly creative liberty. We just accept a certain standard as the norm because that's what we're used to playing. If you find something that works for you, and you play it on an actual pad and you like it, then go for it!
Posting Member

by AmazingKenchan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Wow guys, I'm disappointed with your lack of maturity. I'm siding with Camacho an 0rion on this one, this kind of hostility is why I don't share simfiles.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Can we just drop it please? Let's not turn this into drama...
Posting Member

by Parama » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 pm

AmazingKenchan wrote:Wow guys, I'm disappointed with your lack of maturity. I'm siding with Camacho an 0rion on this one, this kind of hostility is why I don't share simfiles.

If you weren't paying attention, from what I saw Camacho was doing most of the trolling.
Posting Member

by AmazingKenchan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Parama wrote:"trolling"

I see a valid point garnering unnecessary hate just because one guy doesn't see it that way. You want to keep letting this take off, go ahead. For me, I'm taking his point to heart, because regardless what anybody says, a good chart is a good chart to me and I'm personally not going to be docking anyone for making hard light steps when I'm reviewing these. The fact that it's going to discussion about WHY or WHY NOT it should be graded positively or negatively, I think both sides are bringing forward some pretty stupid arguments. Zounder, just "dropping it" is like saying "I'm right and we should step all over Camacho". This isn't the case. Let people decide for their own.

Sound good? People are going to grade however they want, no matter what anyone thinks. I think Camacho's suggestion is something for people to consider, not a set guideline. Let's accept some opinions with a grain of salt, 'k guys?

That's my 2 cents. Have fun guys, because this is supposed to be fun :3
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Alright, let's just play a nice, easy game of Duck Duck Goose to settle the nerves. Duck... Duck...
Posting Member

by Titiln » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:48 pm

i think there's a point here and maybe the thread could be split instead of just killing off the argument altogether
same as it ever was
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Titiln wrote:i think there's a point here and maybe the thread could be split instead of just killing off the argument altogether

I'd be for that.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by AmazingKenchan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Actually maybe what there should be is a grading/judging suggestions and comments thread. Post suggestions, whether it be one way or another, with an explanation and let people figure out what's more comfortable for them in judging. I'm too busy to start one myself, so if anyone's up to it...
Posting Member

by Wellian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 am

I'm going to quote this:

0rion wrote:If something creative is automatically going to be criticized because it doesn't fall in line with (very) ill-defined convention, what's the point of submitting something to a contest that's supposed to be creative?

and this:

0rion wrote:EVERY STEPFILE AUTHOR SHOULD HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR EVERYTHING HE DOES.

and this:

Kamek wrote:People judge files based on what THEY like (I'm probably guilty of this too), or by who can make the best remix of MAX 300.

and this:

Sir.Rendr wrote:Alright, let's just play a nice, easy game of Duck Duck Goose to settle the nerves. Duck... Duck...

and then completely forget the point I was trying to make.
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 am

C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Guys...like...go review brackets 2 and 3. There are some people that want some attention there and your nerd drama is gumming it all up on the first bracket. :(
Posting Member

by 0rion » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:53 am

Don't look at me. I was already halfway through rating B1 when the fireworks broke out. I'm already heading to another bracket, I'm just not sure which, or how long it'll take.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Aki » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 am

Sir.Rendr wrote:Bracket 1's just got too much MAX

I agree. (Seizure inducing)
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:22 am

WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL Author wrote:0rion:
Don't really see the need for either a readme or an .sm file. Last time I checked, Stepmania reads DWI files fine.

Candle-step? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that term...is there any other way you can put that? I tried different patterns through the choruses to avoid karaoke stepping [trying rhythm, following the softer parts of the song] and to try keeping things interesting. I don't think they were disruptive at all, maybe they needed a little more working into the rest of the chart. What would you have rated Light yourself?

While I [really really] appreciate your feedback, I thought your reviews were generally too fixated on the foot ratings, at least by whether they mentioned it. It's the chart, not the foot rating [I suppose that won't save me anyway ha!], and I felt you were kind of harsh on some files, however that's merely my own opinion. At least somebody's talking about the goddamn pack! :P

Kamek:
Yeah, the cut was a little difficult, since there is an existing WIFLFAG file out there, so I wanted to make the cut different. I cut the song using Mixmeister and I was going to speed it up using that, but decided to use Goldwave instead. What you hear is the end of the song, just a lot higher than I intended for it to sound...I thought the echo steps kind of fit, and I didn't know what else to use, aside from "awkward" gallops ala Trance De Janeiro.

Krazy:
I don't really have much to reply to, but I pieced it together from a lower-quality copy of the radio edit and the extended mix, so the difference is kind of noticeable, yeah.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

PreviousNext