Tournament Questions

First time there's been a tie for first; and it's a three-way. :o

Moderator: MODS

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Super_Ray wrote:I wish I had known about this way earlier. I live only 6 hours from San Diego.

I don't think it'd be very fun to have to wake up 6 hours before work starts in order to get there. That's why after the anouncement was posted twice at bemanistyle, the only person that met all the requirements was DukAmok, a keyboard simfile maker. Too bad Konami didn't add in another specification for that.

For more of DukAmok's disasters clike here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoxO4d6DVU&feature=related
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh yea...I remember that. I actually got into contact with a few people on that but it didn't seem like I could do anything long-distance-slash-correspondence. Unsurprising...but at the same time I was 1000+ miles off the target place and wasn't betting that moving would be worth my time, especially after I changed jobs to get a computer technician position right when they mentioned it (which has paid off).

Wasn't really surprised. I'm all the way here in Arkansas. You want to talk poor state for this stuff. I started in Illinois and then moved to find few people cared about this stuff in the central region of AR. >_>
Posting Member

by Forbidden » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:50 pm

Super_Ray wrote:For more of DukAmok's disasters clike here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoxO4d6DVU&feature=related

Wait, Super Samurai? I came under the impression that it was one of the more plausible Konami 10s.
Last edited by Forbidden on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm from San Diego, but I'm really not as old as you'd think I am and have precious school dedications. Still, I sure wouldn't pass up the chance to write a few steps for Konami after noticing such a decline in quality since SuperNova 2.
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Since 2?

Some of the charts from SN had me going 'what'. :\ Some of the Onis looked like a six-year-old did them.

I no longer have college priorities but I have a feeling I'm not gonna work for Konami any day of my life. :P
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:05 pm

SN1 really wasn't that bad imo. There are numerous stepcharts in it that I easily consider favorites (Wookie Wookie, What A Wonderful World, Morning Glory, Nijiro, and Honey Male Punch for example, but the list goes on) and very little actually stands out to me in a bad way. I only enjoy a few select tracks from SN2 (A Thing Called Love is one of them); beyond the absolutely hideous "boss" charts it offered that managed to be even worse than those from SN1, even the majority of the normal stepcharts seemed extremely uninspired, poorly laid-out, and badly-flowing, like the Konami crew was sorely running out of new ideas and thus decided to get so experimental with brainstormed ideas that they didn't even put much care into the enjoyment factor of their creations.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 am

Sir.Rendr wrote:
Super_Ray wrote:I wish I had known about this way earlier. I live only 6 hours from San Diego.

I don't think it'd be very fun to have to wake up 6 hours before work starts in order to get there. That's why after the anouncement was posted twice at bemanistyle, the only person that met all the requirements was DukAmok, a keyboard simfile maker. Too bad Konami didn't add in another specification for that.

I would have been happy to move to San Diego (although I hear the cost of living is prety high). It's one of the awesomest cities in the US. I actually used to live there back in '00 to '02. Anyway, I'm kicking myself for not going for that.

#Infinity wrote:SN1 really wasn't that bad imo. There are numerous stepcharts in it that I easily consider favorites (Wookie Wookie, What A Wonderful World, Morning Glory, Nijiro, and Honey Male Punch for example, but the list goes on) and very little actually stands out to me in a bad way. I only enjoy a few select tracks from SN2 (A Thing Called Love is one of them); beyond the absolutely hideous "boss" charts it offered that managed to be even worse than those from SN1, even the majority of the normal stepcharts seemed extremely uninspired, poorly laid-out, and badly-flowing, like the Konami crew was sorely running out of new ideas and thus decided to get so experimental with brainstormed ideas that they didn't even put much care into the enjoyment factor of their creations.

Thier boss charts seem more like badly brainstormed ideas than anything else. Most of the rest just feels kinda like generic filler and even most of the doubles I've played from SN2 feel like they're autogennned from singles.
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 am

Forbidden wrote:Wait, Super Samurai? I came under the impression that it was one of the more plausible Konami 10s.

Oh, I just love that blue note syndrome.

I agree to the fact that SuperNOVA wasn't bad at all. My favorite PS2 US release is actually between Max, Extreme 2, and SuperNOVA. The banner graphics in SuperNOVA looked really nice overall and the steps, although many contained way too many unnecessary jump patterns, played pretty well.

Where Konami really got messy with was the Universe series, SuperNOVA 2, and Disney Channel Mix. Both Universes released so far are way too wannabe ITG, with a 9 foot Oni chart for every other song you come across. SuperNOVA 2 had horrid steps and Unbelievable banner graphics. Disney Channel Mix contained the most nasal covers of any group of songs I have ever heard in my life, with a whooping count of 39 songs for the mere price of $40.
Posting Member

by Skorpion9x » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 am

Sir.Rendr wrote:far are way too wannabe ITG, with a 9 foot Oni chart for every other song you come across.
God forbid some people might want a challenge. I mean that's what the difficulty is called, right? "Challenge?" As for DDR being "way too wannabe ITG"... I don't think so. Maybe (hopefully) it will change in DDR X, but so far, there is nothing in DDR even near the difficulty of the toughest songs in ITG. Also, ITG had a lot more songs with Expert steps that were actually challenging, whereas DDR challenge steps usually tend to be 8-9 feet when they could be much more challenging.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Skorpion9x wrote:God forbid some people might want a challenge.

There's a difference between challenging and just a long flow of steps that make little "DDR" sense in most cases (see: A lot of ITG songs, and a lot of recent tough DDR charts, which from what I can tell is what people are complaining about here.)

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing ITG, if that's what people like, then that's cool, I'm just clarifying what I believe was meant.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Acording to a post in ZIV (that was taken from one of the SN2AC developers), the following songs were made by the american team (which may or may not include recently hired members such as Dukamok):

-A thing called LOVE
-Trust -DanceDanceRevolution Mix-
-Blind Justice
-Angelus
-Me Against the Music
-switch
-CaptivAte ~Chikai~
-volcano
-Venus
-Pluto Relinquish

I'm quite proud of our national stepping team 8) .

Regarding the xbox games, I like how they have a lot of challenge charts for most of their songs and take care of players who want the extra challenge as opposed to the japanese-brewed games, that after you've taken care of 90% of the game (mostly 7's and 8's) you are left with pretty much nothing but the boss songs that, while challenging, get old fast since it comes down to playing the same 4 or 5 songs over, and over, and over, and over...

ITG was supposed to do that (what the xbox team is doing), but it seems that all the effort went to the Expert charts while not so much was put into Hard, even less into the lower difficulties, which is why ITG is so popular among the hardcore crowd but DDR easily retains the casual crowd with quality charts on every level.
Last edited by CoreyBlaze on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by Danny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Back to quiestions.

Can the graphics be bigger than the required meassures?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Danny wrote:Back to quiestions.

Can the graphics be bigger than the required meassures?

Yes, but keep them in the same multiplied ratio.
Example: 512x160, 768x240, etc (for banners) - that way they are the right ratio for Stepmania to render.

Do note that old pcs sometimes have sluggish responses to larger graphics, depending on how large you save them as.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Hiryuu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:20 am

How I usually had to do it on my old P3 before I got a semi-decent vid card (and before I got my dual-core I have now) I would have to resize the graphic if it ever went past 800x600, because the lag at sizes of 1024x768 or greater would eventually tear my system up to unplayable means. So it kinda made it pointless for me to go above that line and as such I don't think I'll ever cross it because of that reason...at least for a while.

I wouldn't really know why you'd want to go above 640x480, a 4:3 ratio, anyways unless you weren't wanting to downsize a wallpaper you found on the internet for the sim background... >_>

I also notice that 512x160 or higher for the banner tends to be a bit blocky when it resizes in SM too with some graphics that I've seen that are usually in much higher quality. 16:5 ratio on those and I generally don't hear many people going over 320x100 unless the simfile theme supports it.

Course that's just me...your mileage may vary. As long as you stay with the ratios and your images are at least the minimum dimensions of even-numbered pixel width/height, you should be fine.
Posting Member

by Camacho » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:21 pm

I have a question. WHY ARE ALL THE FILES LUMPED TOGETHER IN ONE FOLDER? This makes everything so much harder for everyone. You even got rid of folders that were already there. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

FFFF
F

FF

F
sup
Posting Member

PreviousNext