Tournament Questions

First time there's been a tie for first; and it's a three-way. :o

Moderator: MODS

by kynayo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:07 am

I think they would disqualify it. Try a shorter song.
Stop nagging me and I'll leave you
be when you're alone...
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:13 am

DM Ace wrote:Would a song that is over the 2:30 min length disqualify my sim or would points be taken off? Because I have a really good sim I like but its about roughly 4 min long. =\

"Good sim" and "4 min long" can never be in the same sentence. =/
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:45 pm

They just were, haha.
Posting Member

by Parama » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:49 pm

CoreyBlaze wrote:
DM Ace wrote:Would a song that is over the 2:30 min length disqualify my sim or would points be taken off? Because I have a really good sim I like but its about roughly 4 min long. =\

So even though I put hours upon hours of work into a 6+ minute sim, it's not a good song because it's over 4 minutes? Even if I spent about 30 minutes on a 10-second section?

Fail.
Posting Member

by DM Ace » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Parama wrote:
CoreyBlaze wrote:

So even though I put hours upon hours of work into a 6+ minute sim, it's not a good song because it's over 4 minutes? Even if I spent about 30 minutes on a 10-second section?

Fail.

I mean I can understand if its like strictly 2:30 min, but I've played some of the best sims out there and some of them are almost 10 min. long. I can see where they might be coming from in a point that it might be just the same thing and steps over and over, but its not. I guess it wouldn't hurt to submit it and if it is required to be under the 2:30 limit I can either shorten it or just remake. Thanks for the feedback. ^.^
Posting Member

by Zounder » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:48 pm

The thing is, no DDR song (even ITG, to my knowledge) is over roughly 2:30 with the exception of a those "long version" DDR songs. This is not a keyboard competition, files will be judged by DDR standards (With ITG being okay in challenge, if I recall correctly) and by DDR standards, 10 minutes is waaaaaay too long.

If you want a less technical/more opinion-based explanation, 10 minute songs simply get boring after while, no matter how good the steps are.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Zounder wrote:The thing is, no DDR song (even ITG, to my knowledge) is over roughly 2:30 with the exception of a those "long version" DDR songs. This is not a keyboard competition, files will be judged by DDR standards (With ITG being okay in challenge, if I recall correctly) and by DDR standards, 10 minutes is waaaaaay too long.

I think the longest(aside from long versions from 5th mix) DDR song is around 2:10 (Nemesis from DDR Ultramix)
Posting Member

by kynayo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Blakcalicious 2:14
be when you're alone...
Posting Member

by DGJ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Parama wrote:So even though I put hours upon hours of work into a 6+ minute sim, it's not a good song because it's over 4 minutes? Even if I spent about 30 minutes on a 10-second section?

Fail.

he said good "sim", not good "song". and amount of time spent working on a simfile doesn't necessarily relate to the quality.
Image Image
Posting Member

by Parama » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:26 am

DGJ wrote:
Parama wrote:So even though I put hours upon hours of work into a 6+ minute sim, it's not a good song because it's over 4 minutes? Even if I spent about 30 minutes on a 10-second section?

Fail.

he said good "sim", not good "song". and amount of time spent working on a simfile doesn't necessarily relate to the quality.

I'm sorry, I didn't know this tournament was elitist only...
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:01 am

Parama wrote:
DGJ wrote:

Fail.

No, it's pad only. The truth is that a song has to be pretty much perfect to keep you playing for 4+ minutes. We're trying to do some decent DDR-styled sims. Therefore the song really should be 1:30-2:00, but they allow some leeway either side. Less of your bloody cheek, or you'll get a taste of the back of my hand!
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Aki » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:12 am

there are good stepfiles that are more than 4 minutes but they can be pretty rare. (even my long simfile bohemian polka is less than 4 minutes)

It's not the length of the song or whatever but the way you do it.

There are some people that do dragonforce songs do it like this...

Some manage to cut it at around 1:30 but it fades out at the first verse.

Some have good cuts and good graphics but are just made of 8th runs of 48268248268248 *jump* over and over again

So bluesS... what if we had a round that we're supposed to make a 4-minute stepfile and make it a very high-quality one.

Setting aside the perfection of sync, a good simfile is not how long it is or something, it's the way it is done. If it's well-thought and well-planned.

Please understand. We've been doing this for years now.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:27 am

Parama wrote:
DGJ wrote:

Fail.

How the heck does his comment come off as elitist? :roll:

He's right.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:21 am

kynayo wrote:Hey, would it increase points if you put in a video?

It potentially could if someone liked it for the tilt score, however nothing is given automatically for it.

Akira wrote:So bluesS... what if we had a round that we're supposed to make a 4-minute stepfile and make it a very high-quality one.

That would be interesting for a side tournament; LONG VERSION mix or something like that. It won't happen in BM2 though.

Zounder wrote:The thing is, no DDR song (even ITG, to my knowledge) is over roughly 2:30 with the exception of a those "long version" DDR songs. This is not a keyboard competition, files will be judged by DDR standards (With ITG being okay in challenge, if I recall correctly) and by DDR standards, 10 minutes is waaaaaay too long.

This is why the limit is 2:30. It's not because we automatically think you suck at making good steps for longer songs; but it's that this is a DDR style pad tournament.

DM Ace wrote:I mean I can understand if its like strictly 2:30 min, but I've played some of the best sims out there and some of them are almost 10 min. long. I can see where they might be coming from in a point that it might be just the same thing and steps over and over, but its not. I guess it wouldn't hurt to submit it and if it is required to be under the 2:30 limit I can either shorten it or just remake. Thanks for the feedback. ^.^

If it's up to 2:35 I will even let it slide; however it's a strict no longer than that limit. The judges and everyone else have to play the files as well, and it takes much longer to judge. In addition, it's not DDR style.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by kynayo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Hey, what are the prizes gonna be?
be when you're alone...
Posting Member

PreviousNext