First time there's been a tie for first; and it's a three-way. :o

Moderator: MODS

by Sir.Rendr » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:31 pm

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanned

Oh goodie another page
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

hahaha

They're split into 3 folders, one per bracket...

:?:

Anything that was in a file's folder remained the way they submitted it (although I did delete all of the .old files people left in).
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by 0rion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I seriously don't think public review scores have enough weight to them, if ALL of them together only equal ONE judge's score. This is one of the reasons I disliked the idea of judges in this contest... like, at all.

And for that matter, keeping an otherwise good reviewer from eligibility simply because he wasn't at one of the previous two tournaments is absurd. Basically, for 80% of us, our reviews carry practically NO WEIGHT. This is one of the reasons the electoral college is such a mess...

Oh, well. Just felt like venting about that...
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:21 pm

0rion wrote:I seriously don't think public review scores have enough weight to them, if ALL of them together only equal ONE judge's score. This is one of the reasons I disliked the idea of judges in this contest... like, at all.

And for that matter, keeping an otherwise good reviewer from eligibility simply because he wasn't at one of the previous two tournaments is absurd. Basically, for 80% of us, our reviews carry practically NO WEIGHT. This is one of the reasons the electoral college is such a mess...

I've never had first time people do reviews, unless I knew them from other tournaments. This is not new. If you want to prove that you're a capable reviewer, do good public reviews and I'll be able to consider you in the future.
People who are new here either come in with their own simfile agendas, or don't really know what the tournament is like until their second time.

And the PR's actually do make a difference. There will be 3, maybe 4 judges in each bracket; meaning PR's give 20-25% of the song's score. In close scoring situations, the reviews can make a HUGE difference... as many people here can tell you about.
Site Admin

by 0rion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Just because it's established doesn't make it a good idea. Not that I expect to change anything, I was just expressing an opinion.

Let me put this in perspective for you.

ALL of the public reviews AVERAGED TOGETHER equal 20-25% of the voting. There are 15 potential voters in each bracket (edit: actually even more than that). This means that their individual votes will have about 1.333...% of the weight of the overall contest.

Now, a judge, who is every bit as partial will control 20% of the voting BY HIMSELF. I absolutely don't trust a judge's opinion more than anyone else's (since they're every bit as prone to partiality), and I think it's ridiculous that one person holds 1.333...% of the voting, while another person in the same contest controls 20%.

Like I said, I'm not expecting to change anything, and I'm sorry for making waves, but this prospect makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

(Edit again; I think I did my math a little bit wrong. This seems more accurate.)
Last edited by 0rion on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Zounder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 pm

BLueSS wrote:
0rion wrote:I seriously don't think public review scores have enough weight to them, if ALL of them together only equal ONE judge's score. This is one of the reasons I disliked the idea of judges in this contest... like, at all.

I've never had first time people do reviews, unless I knew them from other tournaments. This is not new. If you want to prove that you're a capable reviewer, do good public reviews and I'll be able to consider you in the future.
People who are new here either come in with their own simfile agendas, or don't really know what the tournament is like until their second time.

And the PR's actually do make a difference. There will be 3, maybe 4 judges in each bracket; meaning PR's give 20-25% of the song's score. In close scoring situations, the reviews can make a HUGE difference... as many people here can tell you about.

QFT

proven to work
Posting Member

by 0rion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Don't get me wrong, I hope that my fears are groundless, but it sounds like a very bad idea.

And no offense to either of you, but Argumentum Ad Traditio isn't the way to establish something as a good idea.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Krazy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 pm

0rion wrote:ALL of the public reviews AVERAGED TOGETHER equal 20-25% of the voting. There are 15 potential voters in each bracket (edit: actually even more than that). This means that their individual votes will have about .01333...% of the weight of the overall contest.

It would be 1.333%, not .01333%. Pretty big difference.

IMO this system in place is fine.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:40 pm

0rion wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hope that my fears are groundless, but it sounds like a very bad idea.

And no offense to either of you, but Argumentum Ad Traditio isn't the way to establish something as a good idea.

That's not the only argument used in BlueSS's post, it was just the one I accentuated.

Give one tourney a shot before you begin criticizing the system. That's not meant to be rude or anything, 8)
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:46 pm

The last few tournaments had very, very few public reviewers.
Normally lots of people DON'T do public reviews.

If a lot (15 would be a lot) of people do PR's, heck; I may just bump it up to be worth more.

15 people doing reviews for ALL 3 brackets is a good amount of time, and most end up doing just one or two brackets; so you may end up with 5 or 6 complete for each bracket. And the PR's are usually based on one play through of the file. Giving one play through a lot of weight isn't a very good idea.
Site Admin

by 0rion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Krazy wrote:It would be 1.333%, not .01333%. Pretty big difference.

Corrected it right as you posted. :)

Zounder wrote:That's not the only argument used in BlueSS's post, it was just the one I accentuated.

Give one tourney a shot before you begin criticizing the system. That's not meant to be rude or anything, 8)

Don't get me wrong! I'm very enthusiastic about this, and mostly want to see how people feel about my song. I'm already working on my Bracket 1 reviews tonight, and I'm looking forward to doing all of them.

I'm just raising constructive criticism. I hope I'm not coming off as an ogre or anything; that wasn't my intent...

BLueSS wrote:The last few tournaments had very, very few public reviewers.
Normally lots of people DON'T do public reviews.

If a lot (15 would be a lot) of people do PR's, heck; I may just bump it up to be worth more.

15 people doing reviews for ALL 3 brackets is a good amount of time, and most end up doing just one or two brackets; so you may end up with 5 or 6 complete for each bracket. And the PR's are usually based on one play through of the file. Giving one play through a lot of weight isn't a very good idea.

That's fair. I appreciate the response!
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

Previous