RULES - Files due August 23rd

First time there's been a tie for first; and it's a three-way. :o

Moderator: MODS

RULES - Files due August 23rd

by BLueSS » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:46 pm

I am sorry for the delays. Life is busy.

(It's pretty much the BM1/1.5 rules)

***ALL FILES MUST NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING THAT CAN IDENTIFY YOU TO THE FILES***
This is an anonymous entry tournament.
One entry per person.

Minimum Guidelines
- 15MB zip file size limit
- .SM or .DWI File
- DDR STYLE ONLY. No Mines, Rolls, Handplants, or anything else not seen in DDR. And no, no shock arrows or whatever those new things are.

Song
- .MP3 or .OGG required. 128 bitrate or higher.
- 1:10-2:30 minute length.
-No Songs from a previous BEST-mix or tournament within the last year. I'll try my best to make sure nobody accidentally picks one already entered.

Banner
-PNG
-256x80 px, or higher multiplier
-AVI Banner optional (Normal PNG Banner Must be included if using an animated one)
-Artist and Title required.

Background
-PNG
-640x480 px, or higher multiple
-Song Title required, Artist optional.

OTHER STUFF
-Readme files: MUST BE ANONYMOUS! Readme files will be included with the file, like normal, but cannot contain any references to previous files, patterns you use in other files of yours, geographical location; any stuff like that, that can be used to identify you is not allowed. It's best just to keep it simple about your file itself, instead of your simfile history.

-------------------------------------------
Quick Rule Summary:
DDR STYLE ONLY
1:10-2:30 Song Limit
PNG Graphics
ANONYMOUS ENTRIES!
-------------------------------------------

Scoring formats will use the following format:
Light: /5
Standard: /5
Heavy: /10
Presentation: /5 (Remember, this is not "graphics", this is the overall presentation of the file (including work put into extras, if the graphics happen to be sub-par.)
Tilt: +3 - Used for any reason, like extra charts or similar (This can only fill in points that the entrant missed in other areas!)

For a Grand Total of /25 Possible Points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

FILES DUE THE 16TH of AUGUST
To Enter: PM me the song and artist
Last edited by BLueSS on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Hainaut » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Are there gonna be judges this time? I think it's a definite MUST for any tournament to provide a truly solid basis of feedback to every file in the tournament. BM1 was just REALLY unlucky with the judging situation; usually, scores/spreadsheets are submitted in time, so hopefully it'll work out better if we give it another shot.
Posting Member

by 0rion » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of peer judgment. It adds a lot more variety to the process (since all of these judgments are basically subjective), and it adds a lot of incentive to be fair about the marks you give out (since your file is being judged by the same process by other people).

I have no objections to judges per se, it's just that I worry about having a judge who pans a song/chart unfairly (since their grades would carry more weight overall). I like having as many people as possible reviewing, personally.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Well, I never stated that we can't apply both as we always have in the past. A contest without action until the release of judge material is pretty lame.
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:06 pm

You mean, like have peer judgment for the preliminary voting, then have judges for during the latter rounds, or something?
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:10 pm

I mean both public reviews and judge reviews are calculated into the 1st round results (both sets are averaged individually and then averaged again for the final total).
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:31 pm

I suppose that could work. It looks a little complex, but it might be a way to go.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Zounder » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:17 pm

0rion wrote:I suppose that could work. It looks a little complex, but it might be a way to go.

What Infinity is suggesting has pretty much been standard procedure in previous contests (OSC, Best mix 1) so it's not like it hasn't been done before.
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:44 pm

I wasn't around for part 1, so I can't really say. Like I said, the main thing that worries me is the possibility for increased partiality and/or arbitrary deductions from appointed judges. If this can be done without this issue occurring, I have no problem with it; I'm just raising a general note of caution.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:30 pm

I feel like I recognize you from GameFAQs or something. Do you post there? :)

I find that careful judging (which has existed with most major tournaments since Tournamix 6) usually does a good job of eliminating personal preference. That's not to say that the judges don't have their own preferences or that their preferences don't affect the scores. Still, preference generally has much less of an effect on the judges' scores than on the public vote, or at least that's what I've seen. And judges generally do explain why something would be preferable in the cases where they deduct points and suggest something else. I know BlueSS (you need a nickname dude) will probably throw out deductions left with no justification from the judges. In fact he's done that for the public vote (including cases where scores are asininely low--- like getting rid of a 0/10 score for a cut being too long, and by too long I mean like 2:30).

You won't have anything as stupid as OSC4 where someone rated an entry 4/10 just because the scorer thought it had Aya Matsuura in it too much, and the score was actually allowed to be kept.
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Groovy. It looks like there's a pretty nice system going on here.
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by DGJ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Juub005 wrote:I know BlueSS (you need a nickname dude)

B2S
Image Image
Posting Member

by 0rion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 pm

DGJ wrote:
Juub005 wrote:I know BlueSS (you need a nickname dude)

B2S

I take it "WWE Superstar John Cena" is taken?
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 pm

but BLueSS is the nickname.

:?:

I guess B2S might work, but it's not much of a nickname, but more of an abbreviation.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by 0rion » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 am

I still think you should call yourself WWE Superstar John Cena (remember, you have to say WHOLE THING).
-Sir "O"
Posting Member

Next