Graphics!

Files not related to BEST-mix.

Moderator: MODS

Graphics!

by Juub005 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 pm

So one of the main obstacles to me releasing more files is a lack of ideas for graphics. I generally make do off of a very limited set of resources: what I know from experimenting with Photoshop filters, my knowledge on how to make text work, and flickr.com's Creative Commons images. This slow and, again, very limited routine has gotten tiresome, however, so I was wondering if you all could share some techniques that you've learned or developed for making graphics, or link to sites that you've consulted or that I could consult for the process.

Posting Member

Re: Graphics!

by Super_Ray » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Do you have access to Illustrator. Flash, or any other vector drawing programs? If so, maybe you can use those to create an image the song may bring to mind.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Hehe, I was hoping for one of these topics to show up eventually. Everyone could use a few extra tips on how to make their graphics even better.

Unfortunately, I can't really be of much help since I don't use Photoshop/Photo Impact to make my graphics. It's surprising even to me that I still use the Gimp to create my graphics. I've gotten tremendously familiar with it over the past years and I don't find much of a reason to convert to programs like Photoshop if people don't see that my graphics using the Gimp are any worse than others using Photoshop.

However, the Gimp definately lacks a bit of nice features found in other programs, like curling/bending text cleanly in multiple angles and light effects (not to mention the Gimp doesn't even have a simple shape generator, sheesh), so I am planning for the future to start getting familiar with more versatile programs. I would certainly like to get my hands on a nice copy of Photoshop.

Oh, and I also use flickr to get base images, but they're always edited of course. I usually choose 2 main images and converge them together in some way that makes the new image look much different and more interesting. If I was familiar with Photoshop's tools, I could probably tell you my process that I take to edit the base images, but I'm sure the steps are different between each program.

Just curious - anyone else use the Gimp? Maybe we could share some tips and whatnot.
Posting Member

by Jezendar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm

I use the GIMP as well. But I'm still not really familiar with it, so I don't have any tips to share at this point. If I do figure out anything interesting, I'll be sure to post it here.
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. - Popeye the Sailor Man
Posting Member

by Xythar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 am

I'd quite like to know too. Evan seems capable of churning the graphics out like an assembly line but they take me forever (and his look way nicer to boot). Half the time I end up spending longer on the presentation of my files than the actual steps.

Usually I just go with tutorials or various filters/brushes but it's hard to get good ideas.
Posting Member

by Valex » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Everyone should post everything they know about graphics RIGHT NOW
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Xythar wrote:
Usually I just go with tutorials ...brushes

Link please ;) Also explain the "brushes" part, which I think I get but might be wrong on.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:03 am

I subscribe to this site's RSS feed. They daily have free brush downloads or step by step tutorials showing you how to do various design work with photoshop.

I'd suggest this to ANYONE who uses photoshop. The stuff is easy to follow, and unless you know everything, chances are you'll learn what a tool does as well as a unique situation to apply it to. :)

http://psd.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by will-i-am » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:38 pm

WHAAAAAAA !!!

Okay, now I'm glad I don't have enough tools in The Gimp to get as complicated as that!

And that's probably not even the most complicated one! :shock:
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am

The TEXT EFFECTS category on that page is VERY helpful for banners and backgrounds (obviously since they require text).

http://psd.tutsplus.com/category/tutori ... tutorials/

This one is pretty shiny. :D
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Valex » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Shiny text?

I can't lose now
Posting Member