Who will you vote for in the 08 Election?

Stuff outside the world of simfiles.

Moderator: MODS

Who will you vote for in the 08 Election?

by BLueSS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:50 am

Note: USA Elections (for those outside the country)

I was willing to vote for Ron Paul, but he didn't get much support.
I totally dislike Hilary, as well as McCain; but I'd be willing to vote for Obama, even though I disagree with some of his policies.
Healthcare doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other, so I'd rather have someone who won't take away more of our freedoms due to "national security" measures.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Juub005 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:10 pm

Yeah, I voted for Paul in the primary and was a little peeved when Massachusetts voted more for Huckabee than for him. I'm probably going to end up voting for Gravel, who switched over to the Libertarian candidacy. I like Obama the most out of the three major candidates but I have major problems with his ethanol policy and his Pakistan policy (as well as pretty much any policy which supports spending money that we don't have on unnecessary wars).
Posting Member

by DGJ » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 pm

i'm going to vote for chou! because of its work on campaign finance reform
Image Image
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:24 am

ron paul is a whackjob are you guys serious
This special title makes me look cool.

by tammie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:38 am

ron paul is scary
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:35 pm

BYE is clearly the winner.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm

lrxevan wrote:ron paul is a whackjob are you guys serious

Well, I disagree with him on some things, but I disagree with the other candidates far more so there you go?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm

He had several points that I don't think any of the candidates left will handle correctly, such as:
-Getting rid of No Child Left Behind.
-Repealing the Patriot Act and preventing stuff like the Real ID from passing.
-Getting us out of Iraq as soon as possible.

Basically I'm a libertarian on most of the issues. I don't want the government to mess with my business as much as possible. They're not protecting us by monitoring our internet, illegally wiretapping our phone calls and putting RFID in our passports. While I'm not a "big brother" conspirator, the government has gained too much power the past two presidencies, and none of it has been effective.

Plus he was the only one that actually explained why the economy is bad and proposed a way to fix it before the others said a word about it. :?

Hilary will suck balls and McCain will be Bush ver2.
Site Admin

by lrxevan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:36 pm

He also thinks that free, public education is a bad idea and I can't see myself ever getting behind that.

HOWEVER, I understand that in many cases when you're looking for a candidate to get behind you need to avoid taking too much stock in their whackjob extremist ideas because generally speaking they're never going anywhere. Examples include banning M-rated video games, rescinding Roe vs. Wade, etc. These are all things that extremists believe could or should happen but will likely never happen. We hear a lot of these things during the primaries race but none of these things really ever come to pass.

Ron Paul is scary in other ways, however. He's charismatic, but a very villain-esque kind of charismatic. When he talks I get the feeling he's... talking down to me. He speaks as though he's talking to an assembly of elementary school children who have misbehaved, not to a country of people looking to him for guidance.

I think a big mistake many candidates make is assuming that their country is stupid. For the most part, it's true, but there are people who are intelligent who will catch on and make sure the rest of the world knows it, and in my opinion Ron Paul has made that mistake.
This special title makes me look cool.

by Juub005 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Yeah, but that really has nothing to do with the issues or what he'll do. As far as his character goes, I mean... at least he's honest, which isn't something I can say for either of the Democrats still in the race although I wish I could.

I think what's really scary is that none of the three big-government major candidates will stop spending on the war or taking the Iranian president's threats seriously (except Obama on this one, thank God). Hopefully they'll have to cave to public pressure eventually. Compared to Paul I think it's really the three candidates out there that are the radicals.

The other interesting thing is that Hillary talked about taking a bunch of troops out a month after she got into office or something, which is great if you trust her.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:11 pm

lrxevan wrote:He also thinks that free, public education is a bad idea and I can't see myself ever getting behind that.

Well, public education is absolutely horrible due to the national regulation that's been added to the education system. I have attended both public education and private, and while they both have advantages, I think that current regulation makes it tough to attend a private school and end up treated equally; or get a proper high school education in the public school system that compares to the world. It's a known fact that our high schools pale in comparison to other parts of the world like Europe.

We hear a lot of these things [extremist ideas] during the primaries race but none of these things really ever come to pass.

Exactly. Laws still have to be passed by Congress and that's what our checks and balances are for; to make sure extremist ideas of the President don't automatically get passed.

Ron Paul is scary in other ways, however. He's charismatic, but a very villain-esque kind of charismatic. When he talks I get the feeling he's... talking down to me. [...] I think a big mistake many candidates make is assuming that their country is stupid.

Hmm, I kinda actually liked that about him, in that he wasn't afraid to tell stupid people that they were wrong. :P
There are too many "nice" people that are afraid of hurting people's feelings in the US, and it's created a generation of wimps. We've tried to "protect" generation y from the "harms of the world" by giving them a bubble; and the way Ron Paul spoke appealed to me because it was a "grow up, let's get stuff done" sort of attitude.
I'll readily concede that he knows a HECK of a lot more than I do, and I want a candidate that isn't just going to to be nice and water down his message.
Site Admin

by will-i-am » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Nice, BLueSS. You just had to start a topic on politics.

Nice. :roll:
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Well, at least it's not religion. :wink:
Last edited by BLueSS on Wed May 14, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

by Super_Ray » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:36 pm

BLueSS wrote:

He had several points that I don't think any of the candidates left will handle correctly, such as:
-Getting rid of No Child Left Behind.
-Repealing the Patriot Act and preventing stuff like the Real ID from passing.
-Getting us out of Iraq as soon as possible.

Colour me ignorant, but what is 'real ID"? I don't recall hearing anything about it on the evening news or related shows.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm

It's a universal, nation-wide ID card that they want to use in the US. You'll need one to fly, enter state buildings, stuff like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/laws/gc_1172767635686.shtm

Supposedly our driver's licenses aren't good enough, so everyone gets a new card (in addition to the driver's) enhanced with rfid.
The Department of Homeland Security (another agency that needs to be revamped or dissolved) has basically told states that if they don't accept it, they'll lose federal funding.
Site Admin

Next