Stuff found on FFR

Stuff outside the world of simfiles.

Moderator: MODS

by sanchny » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Juub005 wrote:Oh, and BlueSS, I'd be interested in knowing which sims :)

I don't know what BlueSS was referring to, and I know I risk starting a huge flamewar with part of this statement, but I was a big fan of Bemaniruler's and DWInsanity's old DWIs from back in the day.
(I know fooby's still around, yes, but I used the past tense to talk about his sims back when people used to use DWI and Notepad, not to imply that I'm no longer a fan.)

I started making my first simfile in Notepad, and I stepped some of the song, but I never finished it. I found it impossible to do good placement with Notepad since I never made the connect between DWI code, what the steps would look like, and how it would play along with the music. Running DWI in test mode to preview the steps was too much of a hassle considering the number of times I preview steps to get them right.

(That song I was making for my first simfile was in English. That's all I'll say. :wink: I still have it backed up, too, haha.)
Posting Member

by Zounder » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't see a problem making simfiles in notepad if it's comfortable for the author, as long as you test them before it's released.

To me, the funniest part about the

Come on, Does anyone even make steps anymore using notepad?

Because my parents will be pissed if I download it. [referring to stepmania]

comment is that the guy who made the second comment makes the files in notepad, but can't test them. I would think it would be near impossible to make a good simfile without at least -once- running it in stepmania! Unless he uses DWI... I forget if DWI has an editor or not.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Hahahaha, he can't test them. DWI has a thing where you can test your files, but he's certainly not making a DWI; look at his code...

Oh, and I would probably still enjoy a few of BMR's sims. Spin from TM3 is quite great as far as files intended for pad go, and come on, anyone from back then had to enjoy trying to beat A and mashing his way through V. I do remember one user/loser who, when someone reuploaded BMR's old files on Bemanistyle (5.0?), posted a long-ass tirade or review on EVERY file denouncing BMR as being a keyboard blasphemer. Silly kids. BMR started the keyboard-file community (unless someone can claim otherwise...)
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Zounder wrote:I would think it would be near impossible to make a good simfile without at least -once- running it in stepmania! Unless he uses DWI... I forget if DWI has an editor or not.
He'd be using FFR for testing by uploading the entire sim first then playing, hence why he finds CDTitles and such useless.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm

cpubasic13 wrote:
Zounder wrote:I would think it would be near impossible to make a good simfile without at least -once- running it in stepmania! Unless he uses DWI... I forget if DWI has an editor or not.
He'd be using FFR for testing by uploading the entire sim first then playing, hence why he finds CDTitles and such useless.

Ohhh, that makes sense then. I am not at all familiar with how FFR works.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm

sanchny wrote:
Juub005 wrote:Oh, and BlueSS, I'd be interested in knowing which sims :)

I don't know what BlueSS was referring to, and I know I risk starting a huge flamewar with part of this statement, but I was a big fan of Bemaniruler's and DWInsanity's old DWIs from back in the day.

Bemaniruler will always hold a special place for me simply because his early files were the only .dwi files I had at the time, along with some early 4th mix simfiles.

BMR = Pulse, Tomorrow Perfume, all those Ayumi Hamasaki songs... (even though not all of his stuff was his own, like the chart for V and some graphics work) they still set the standard back in the day for proper simfile making.

DWInsanity's stuff was great. All those files were played religiously by my friend and I.
CMCM = ELYSIUM!!!, Missing, Movin' On, Stomp to My Beat (Speed Mix)
Shortysnmn2010 - all the AlbumMix'es
BANTU (from ddruk) - Baby Baby, DOOP, Will I Ever (Alice Deejay)
LMK Remix files...
The entire DWI Extreme series...

Man, all these great files would be the first ones I'd go through if I ever made a "TOTALLY AWESOME SIMFILES FROM ALL TIME" mix.

...anyone interested in such a mix? :P

PS: And props to all the old files before SM came out that used BPM/movie scripts; because those things were a pain in the ass to code back then, and all the new SM kiddies have no clue now freakin hard it was to make your simfile look good back in the day.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by sanchny » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 pm

BLueSS wrote:BMR = Pulse, Tomorrow Perfume, all those Ayumi Hamasaki songs... (even though not all of his stuff was his own, like the chart for V and some graphics work)

I heard about the graphics, but not about the chart for V. Elaborate?
BLueSS wrote:Man, all these great files would be the first ones I'd go through if I ever made a "TOTALLY AWESOME SIMFILES FROM ALL TIME" mix.

...anyone interested in such a mix? :P

Do it.

Something related: I wanted to do a chat review for the first few TMs, but no one ever really cared for that idea. :cry:
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:27 pm

sanchny wrote:I heard about the graphics, but not about the chart for V. Elaborate?

BMS/BME IIDX Simfile -> dwi converter. :lol:
(At least I believe it's for that file... it's been a while since I've discussed BMR simfiles)

sanchny wrote:Do it.

Something related: I wanted to do a chat review for the first few TMs, but no one ever really cared for that idea. :cry:

Alright, added of my list of things to do. :P

....a chat review for the first few TM's would
1) not only take a heck of a long time
but 2) be absolutely PAINFUL. >.<
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by sanchny » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:24 pm

BlueSS wrote:
sanchny wrote:Do it.

Alright, added of my list of things to do. :P

....a chat review for the first few TM's would
1) not only take a heck of a long time
but 2) be absolutely PAINFUL. >.<

Well, it wouldn't be all at once. And painful is the point! It's taken for granted nowadays how much better the community as a whole has gotten, and people's files (newcomers especially) are put down for relatively inane crap.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:08 pm

I'd happily take part, so count me in! :)
Posting Member

Re: Stuff found on FFR

by Juub005 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Haha, was just reading through a couple of old threads and I found this. Does anyone want to do a chat review for a select group of TM files (including Solar Plexus)?
Posting Member

Re: Stuff found on FFR

by Zounder » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm

I'd totally be up for a chat review of older TM files.
Posting Member

Previous