FINAL RESULTS - 3 WINNERS (and 1 Runner Up)!

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

by Xythar » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:24 am

With Your Smile was one of the more obvious ones I thought.

I didn't guess the Hellrazor one either, haha. Never managed to guess Ebisu's either, although I did play it and noted that it was a good file. I'm surprised it didn't do better.

Juub caught me by surprise too although I guess I'm not really sure why. Also zeh, definitely.

The most surprising of all was definitely Night Fighter though. None of us saw that one coming, that's for sure ;)
Posting Member

by Titiln » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 am

after his reaction for an uncomplete review of a joke file i could tell it was either hellrazor or wellian
same as it ever was
Posting Member

by Valex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:52 am

I sucked

brb offing myself
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:23 pm

And you thought I was joking when I said that k// did Sunny the Ride...HA!

And considering my file:
1) I can't believe people thought I did September. Me? Dynamic BPM!?
2) I didn't do as well as I thought I was gonna. Of course, once the brackets were announced, I knew I wasn't going to advance.
3) Why do you hate me, TW? You slammed my files for both BMs now!!
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:46 pm

First off, I want to say congrats to Spork!, Super_Ray, Titiln, and Chmurek for making fun files for this competition. I had fun with nearly every file submitted into BEST-mix 1.5, so I appreciate everyone else that entered this tournament. I hope for only the best in BEST-mix 2.

However, I was pretty disappointed at the feedback I got from my file. Who knew sound quality, out of all things, could ever get that many people to show hate towards a simfile? I mean, sound quality wasn't even in the grading system. The only place you could fit sound quality into would be presentation, but that's only 5 out of the 25 points you can earn from a file. Basing my presentation score off of just one factor in my file, especially since I included bg changes, would really be a cheap shot to take at it.

It was either that or the fact that it moved on to the next round beating out "BYE" that I recieved the feedback I did. It really was unnecessary, and to those of you who have never heard the song before, chances are you'll never hear a better version of the song unless Juub or Akira sends the .mp3 to you. So, basically, the negative opinion was being based off the fact that just because someone said the sound quality was bad, everyone else agreed even though they had never heard a better version, let alone even heard the song before (not saying that all of you haven't).

The steps were something that seemed to hurt my file as well. However, I looked over the reviews and Greenhorn recieved the same overall scores for steps, if not, lower than my file did. How could you say that the steps were any more mediocre than the other file? I guess that point is obsolete, though, since different people have different grading scales, but it certainly confused me.

Please, don't take this as me bashing any of your opinions. I would hate that to ever be the case since I value every opinion you guys have. Besides, how would I get any better at making files without constructive criticism? I was just very confounded about some things that I felt went wrong with my file, so I wanted to point those out.
Posting Member

by TakeWalker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Unexpected and awesome results! I have to say I'm quite happy, especially with both Chou and Artillery getting recognition. :D Congrats to all you winnarz!

We gonna have a big ol' authorial reveal? :O
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:04 pm

TakeWalker wrote:We gonna have a big ol' authorial reveal? :O
This happened. Check right at the bottom of the first post.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Haha, I got you, Spork!, as well as the rest of you Top 4 finishers. :P

I also guessed a number of you other people out there.

I was most surprised by the authors of 4 Minutes, All Rights Reserved, Butterfly, Otso Otso, September, & Ievan Polkka (and it's spelled with an "i" people! :wink:). So congrats to you guys for being as sneaky as possible, whether it was for the good or bad of your files.

I'm glad CHOU! was one of the "Unofficial" winners, since I personally thought it was the strongest file in the competition, but that doesn't mean the other 3 don't deserve their spots, for they were all fun files.

So, yeah, congrats to everyone! :D

...but, I have just one thing to say...

#Infinity wrote:
tsugaru7reveng wrote:will-i-am

Didn't enter.

R YU SOOR?
Posting Member

by tammie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah Otso Otso wasn't as bad as everyone said it was. Some of you were just downright bitches about it. And we all know I'm king bitch, so you guys need to recognize.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm

RVN-G wrote:I'm really surprised at the revealed authors. Some of my guesses are right, some are really off. :P (For instance, hellrazor did that fun aerobics simfile

Eh, you guys didn't pay much attention, my file was extremely obvious.

Who else submits compressed .dwi files w/o a .sm file? Who else uses the #CDTITLE:.\CDTITLES\.....png; tag? Who else enters the long version of songs?

I was actually shocked that someone tried to pin Crank Dat on me, while I have a fondness for west coast gangster rap, I despise southern hip hop.
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:02 pm

hellrazor wrote:Who else submits compressed .dwi files w/o a .sm file?

Me? I don't put in SM files at all.
Posting Member

by t7r » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 pm

hellrazor wrote:Who else submits compressed .dwi files w/o a .sm file? Who else uses the #CDTITLE:.\CDTITLES\.....png; tag? Who else enters the long version of songs?

Normally, I do that, but I didn't do it in this competition. (Yes, I grew up liking DDR:UK's files too.)

Expect oratio with Beginner steps and the OST audio soon. The OST version has an orange arrow syndrome though.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 pm

I didn't get a chance to play 88, but listening to the sound quality now, well, that's what it was when I first downloaded the mp3 years ago. In fact, that's pretty much the only mp3 of Otso Otso circulating around the internet. But the problem is that you really should have better sound quality than that when you release a file (especially in a competition), because the quality of that mp3 is pretty awful, and there's really no way of getting around it. I mean that in both ways: there's no getting around the fact that it's a problem, and unfortunately there wasn't much you could've done about it unless you bought it online, which I think might actually be possible nowadays. Putting in background changes is nice, but it doesn't fix the glaring problem that's there.

I played Greenhorn (and the rest of the final 4), though, and that was an excellent file and the one I voted for in the final 4, so you were up against something that was pretty good anyway.
Posting Member

by t7r » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:04 am

tsugaru7reveng: Is Sir.Rendr a Filipino?
akira: dunno
akira: probably
akira: he ain't gonna get away from me.
tsugaru7reveng: Why?
akira: i'll buttraep him with a 2-meter pole
Posting Member

by Xythar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:09 am

I didn't really notice what the big deal was with OTSO OTSO's audio, but then I am pretty much the exact opposite of an audiophile. If nobody had mentioned bad sound quality I don't think I'd have noticed anything at all.

I voted for Greenhorn because I thought the steps were a little better, simple as that.
Posting Member

PreviousNext