ROUND 2 - APRIL MADNESS!

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

by Hainaut » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 am

DGJ wrote:
#Infinity wrote:I don't like it that a good simfile can be pitted against another good simfile and vice versa, it makes it possible for worse files to easily beat out better ones simply based on the luck of the bracket they end up in. Best-Mix 1 was fair in giving all files a near-equal chance of winning (only difference includes separate reviews for both brackets; all scores are averaged and compared in one), but now seeing some fantastic entries going against a very tough fight and ulitmately losing, whereas Otso Otso, a file with horrendous sound quality, won this round by default and has already made it to the quarter-finals. If this were Best-Mix 1, I doubt it would've seen the light past Round 1.

looking at the big picture, so what? yeah otso otso advances but it's not like it has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. the "best" file will still take top honors, and isn't that what's important? as for other ranks, bluess has already said that's not a factor in this tournament.

Not everyone's gonna win. Can't I at least get the credit of ranking close to 1st as I did in Best-Mix 1?
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:41 am

What I was saying is that every file should have been given an equal amount of time to allow people to vote for it. To me, it's like having a vote with 5 entries and saying "you can only vote for song 1 and song 4 until Thursday - but you can keep voting for songs 2, 3 and 5 until Sunday".

I hope that illustrates the point I'm making. When I mentioned files having more time to amass votes, I meant having the battles for certain songs open longer.

But whatever - the decision has been made and there's not much can be done now. I just think there are fairer ways that this round could have been run.
DDRExtreme.co.uk REVISITED - Video Games event now playing!
Posting Member

by DGJ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 am

are you really convinced that would've made much of a difference? do you think there's going to be some influx of voters at a later time who have missed out at their chance? if you put a similar time limit on each bracket you'd probably have the same results. there'd be brackets with a lot of votes because people really like those songs, and then you'll have brackets with a few votes because people aren't that interested in them.

while i might not agree with this style of tournament (for different reasons), at least it opens up the opportunity for those brackets people are uninterested in to get a little more attention than they would normally.
Image Image
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:50 am

the_ditz wrote:Anyone else get the impression that they are making up the rules to this contest as they go along?

Ok, first off the "they" here is me.

Certain battles in the 2nd round have ended because they hadn't had any votes in 24 hours, and the rest of the battles have been kept open. This of course means that the songs in the other battles that are losing have more time to allow people to vote for them and for them to possibly even win.

Yes, it does. In the old system, a good file may have been ignored completely if it was in a crappy bracket, and the same thing on a very smaller scale applies here. If people didn't feel moved to vote for your file, there's nothing I can do about it. :?

This just smacks of unfairness and inequality in my eyes - you should apply the same rules and deadlines to all files to allow for a fair result. Wouldn't it have just been easier and fairer to just say "all voting will close by XX:XX on XX/XX/2008"?

No, because that could end up with some brackets with only 1 vote. Imagine that outcry. I gave the exact same deadlines to everyone. If interest in a bracket continued, I was not going to close it, unless it hit 15. In hindsight, it seems 15 was too lofty of a goal, but that's what happens when you try new systems - you have to see if it works or not. Interest has died down a little, so 15 was not obtainable.

Sour grapes on my part? It's clear that people have automatically voted for the battles that their favourite files feature in first, but in doing this they've neglected the other battles.

Everything was going fine until now...
So you're saying if they voted for their favorites first, anyone who had your file as a favorite already voted for it, right?

If this is how the Best-Mix contests are going to work, I doubt I'll be entering another one...
And yes, before anyone says it, I know this is a "fun contest", but even fun contests should have the same ruleset applied to every file.

No, this is not how every future Best-mix will be. This was a FUN, MINI-COMPETITION that was to allow you guys to have fun before summer comes, and allow me to test out rulesets that we could adopt for the summer contests.

Super_Ray wrote:I agree here. Who knows how long some of these battles will go on if the no posts in 24 hrs rule is applied arther than setting a deadline.

They will go on until 15 votes are reached or 24 hours of no post. See my reply to the_ditz above.

#Infinity wrote:And besides, does anyone think this bracket thing is also a bit unfair compared to BM1? I enjoy it enough at DDRExtreme.co.uk with its Survivor Max contest because that's really just a side competition for fun, but when it's serious as it is here, luck seems to play out more than ever.

It's not my fault you guys are making this SIDE COMPETITION FOR FUN into something serious.

I don't like it that a good simfile can be pitted against another good simfile and vice versa, it makes it possible for worse files to easily beat out better ones simply based on the luck of the bracket they end up in.

The BEST file WILL still win. There isn't a 1st place -9th place ranking this time, just a winner.

whereas Otso Otso, a file with horrendous sound quality, won this round by default and has already made it to the quarter-finals. If this were Best-Mix 1, I doubt it would've seen the light past Round 1.
And the next round is where a better song can beat it out. It's not about "how far you advance into the bracket" it's about who wins.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:55 am

the_ditz wrote:But whatever - the decision has been made and there's not much can be done now. I just think there are fairer ways that this round could have been run.

Sure, there could have been. Will it be changed for next time? Probably. Will it be changed for this side competition for fun? No.
Site Admin

by Juub005 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:01 am

I'm just going to state that I personally like the way the tournament has been run, so...
Posting Member

by tammie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:06 am

hey look the ddrextreme crew is mad
Posting Member

by Spork! » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:07 am

Juub005 wrote:I'm just going to state that I personally like the way the tournament has been run, so...

[edit]

I agree. Thanks for that ebi :)
Last edited by Spork! on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 am

I don't want to bring you down or demean you BlueSS - lord knows I know how tough it is to run one of these contests. I just felt that I had to put my feelings across.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one... ;)
Posting Member

by tammie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 am

Spork! wrote:
Juub005 wrote:I'm just going to state that I personally like the way the tournament has been run, so...

QFT.

wait what you quoted an opinion for truth
wouldn't "i agree" work better
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:28 am

the_ditz wrote:I don't want to bring you down or demean you BlueSS - lord knows I know how tough it is to run one of these contests. I just felt that I had to put my feelings across.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one... ;)

Yep, I don't hold any hard feelings; besides, if you guys didn't speak out there wouldn't be any way to fix problems the next time around.

I'd hope the same would be true for the flip side though; that just because things didn't go exactly as well as it could be (or as well as people wanted), that you'd just give up on it.
Heck, I remember the OLD OSC contests... we experimented so many times with different rules that this competition would have been near flawless in comparison to some of the mishaps I've dealt with before. The good thing about all those mishaps, is that (at the time) NekoIncardine and I were able to fix it as much as we could the next time around.

Anyone remember the time before "presentation" was judged, and we all judged just graphics? Yeah, stuff like that is what we've been able to fix.
Site Admin

by Sir.Rendr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Ebisumaru wrote:hey look the ddrextreme crew is mad

No, it's just everyone who's file didn't make it to the next "round", quite obviously.

And guys, if you really want to go back to what BEST-mix 1 was like, then why not do it yourself? I personally think this system is quite innovational. Yes, it's unfair to a point, but the best file will still win no matter what and you all should really take that in mind. Like BLueSS said, "THERE WILL BE ONLY ONE WINNER!" I do remember him saying this towards the beginning of the competition very clearly, but I guess no one else remembers...

It wouldn't possibly be that hard to make your own poll at the end of this competition and decide who's file is the best based on the good ol' opinion votes, even though no one would even care to vote for Otso Otso because apparently it was completely Otso Otso's fault for just happening to luck out by recieving the only BYE in the competition because BLueSS obviously jacked up the cards he picked randomly out of his hat. Undeniably, BLueSS made Otso Otso and that's why it "unfairly" moved on to the next bracket.

In other words, don't vote for Otso Otso because it moved on and your files didn't. Besides, it's only "fair" that way, right?
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:49 am

I would have had to same opinion even if my file had advanced to the next round of voting.
Posting Member

by Xythar » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 am

For what it's worth I agree that the "24 hours with no votes equals end of poll" rule was unnecessary. Even though it was applied to all files, it still makes a lot more sense to just set a deadline for all polls. That's the way it's always been done before for public votes in these competitions and I see no reason to change it.

That being said, can we please not try to turn this into some kind of Best-Mix vs. DDRExtreme rivalry? There's absolutely no reason we can't just get on and contribute to each other's competitions (which has been happening just fine so far, hence why I'd like it to continue). I don't think Ditz aims to be an ambassador the DDRExtreme community with every single one of his opinions, so you should really just respond to the person instead of taking shots at the community.
Posting Member

by tammie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:30 am

my comment wasn't really about the ditz or meant seriously enough to be offended about
Posting Member

PreviousNext