RESULTS - Bracket 1

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

by the_ditz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:52 pm

I could be anal and say that Rock Mix didn't have only 9 footers, but I won't do that... :P

I can go on the record in saying that I'm more comfortable stepping up to about 160BPM (i.e. Eurobeat!) but that's not to say that I find it impossible to step harder tracks. I enjoy making my harder charts to songs with more complex rhythm structures rather than songs that have ridiculously fast BPMS though.

I admit to complaining about double-steps in the past, but I've generally got past that now. What I hate is charts that have no consistancy or a clear focus or structure. One thing that strikes you about the vast majority (if not all) of the best Konami charts is that they all have a clear structure in terms of patterns and rhythms. There is a tendency quite often for harder charts to just be a bit all over the place in a "let's try this and if it doesn't work that's okay cos I'll switch to something else in a measure and a half even if the music is repeating the same rhythms".

Anyway, I just wanted to say my piece to defend the easier charts as I feel there are groups in the community that have a deep-rooted resentment towards them that always rears its head during contests like these. If a song sounds like it should be a 6 footer and it's a 9, then quite clearly something's wrong. Similarly, if a clear 9 foot opportunity is watered down to a 6 foot generic Heavy chart, I'd have as much problem with that. It's all about interpreting the music as accurately and fairly as possible to stay true to the feel of the song.
DDRExtreme.co.uk REVISITED - Video Games event now playing!
Posting Member

by Xythar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Raf wrote:I can't remember the last 9 footer that won a contest. Rock Mix doesn't count cuz every file was a 9.

That, and the file which won was an 8 :P

Valex wrote:In DDR OSC 5, Inspiration won in some bracket and it was a 9 footer

I win!

Won the whole competition actually, but that really should have been an 8.

Not to say 9s can't win, they've just been kind of out of fashion for a while and most people stepping them haven't been as good at it as the people stepping 7s and 8s. There are exceptions, sanchny for instance has made a lot of excellent 9s.
Posting Member

by TakeWalker » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:02 pm

I think working in the contests has really broken me of the "EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE A 9 OR IT SUCKS" mentality, but I do think there's often overcompensation the other way, "It's gotta be a 6 or everyone will hate it." Truthfully, both extremes tend to be a little... well, extreme. 9s get overdone, 6s and 5s get underdone.

That being said, I want to give a shout out to ARTILLERY. The BPM gimmick files in this contest pissed me the hell off, but the more I thought about that one, the more I realized it was the only one that worked. It's quirky as hell, but it's really very charming and I'm glad it passed.
Posting Member

Previous