Bracket 3 - Rating and Discussion

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

Bracket 3 - Rating and Discussion

by BLueSS » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:55 am

B3: 7 Files, 3 will move on to the next round.

All Rights Reserved
CHOU!
Face of Fact -RESOLUTION-
Ievan Polkka (Tiegel Radio Edit)
Nantettatte Densetsu
Pretty Green Eyes
Secret

All ratings and discussion for these 7 files belongs in this thread.

REVIEWS MUST FOLLOW THIS FORMAT:
Light: /5
Standard: /5
Heavy: /10
Presentation: /5
Tilt: +5 - Used for any reason, like extra charts or similar (This can only fill in points that the entrant missed in other areas!)

For a Grand Total of /25 Possible Points

If you do not judge the entire file (say you did just heavy and presentation), your judging will be worth less.
ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation, and the post will be deleted.

Entrants cannot review their own bracket!
Judging must be consistent for all the songs in the bracket! - All must have the same aspects reviewed.

If you think someone has given a file a bad score, call them out on it! Make some noise! :P
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Sir.Rendr » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:42 pm

I vote this bracket as the best song choices of all.

And tied at a very close 2nd would be brackets 4 & 5.
Posting Member

by t7r » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:01 am

I wonder how Akira would react to CHOU!, in terms of KOG.G3-ness.
Posting Member

by Aki » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:04 am

tsugaru7reveng wrote:I wonder how Akira would react to CHOU!, in terms of KOG.G3-ness.

CHOU! CHOU! CHOU! CHOU! CHOU! CHOU!
Posting Member

by DGJ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

the original song is actually called "GO" :shock:

(i'm something of a dj ozma expert)
Image Image
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:17 pm

DGJ wrote:the original song is actually called "GO" :shock:

(i'm something of a dj ozma expert)
Well, it is a cover/remix of GO by U;NEE.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by DGJ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 pm

yes
Image Image
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Ok, judging this bracket. #3 review comin' right at'cha!

All Rights Reversed - The Chemical Brothers feat. Klaxons

Steps

Light – 2.5/5
First thing’s first. Waaaay too difficult for a 3 footer. I mean, seriously. Corner jump madness on a 3 foot chart? The patterns at the start were perfect for the song and level of difficulty, but freezes and corner jumps hurt this file too much.

Standard – 3/5
The beginning started good, but it went downhill from there. Ewww… short freezes for one. There was repetitiveness and inconsistency in the step patterns. The jumps got me going, but then towards the end my opinion went astray.

Heavy – 6/10
Well, what could you really do with the steps? The jumps got really wacky at the end. Some of the 16th triplets didn’t feel that right in the middle of the song. The 8th beat patterns in the beginning were a bit repetitive, as well as many other parts of the song. Nothing terribly wrong technically with this file, but it was kind of repetitive and there weren’t too many creative techniques included in here.

Presentation

2/5
Graphics were pretty simple and non-appealing. I think it got the mood of the song across though. However, song choice was terrible. It wasn’t necessarily the song that was all that bad. However, the repetitiveness of it reflected in your steps.

Tilt

+0/5
No extras. My first impression of this file was not positive. I didn’t like the steps, nor the song and the graphics were just very average. I wouldn’t play this song again.

Total

13.5/25
Yep, I smell an Average Joe. I think you had the right thought on the beginning of all the steps, but also in all of the steps, they became very repetitive and unfortunately boring as they progressed.

CHOU! – DJ OZMA

Steps

Light – 5/5
You know, there were a little bit too many jumps, but I really don’t care because this reminded me soooooo much of DDR 3rd Mix Plus! Your stepping techniques in this chart were brilliant and they were very old school. I LOVED THIS!

Standard – 4.5/5
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Amazing, really! I loved almost every bit of this step chart! The only parts I didn’t like, but minor, were that I felt some areas of the step chart had a teeny bit too many jumps and I thought at some parts there would be more 8th patterns. But, yah, very minor things and they both are based solely on opinion, not technicality. Thanks for making this!

Heavy – 9/10
Very nice! The steps felt very old-fashioned, which is a good thing in this case. There was a lot of double stepping, but it was handled expertly. This almost reminded me of DDR MAX’s step charts. The only thing I would fix would be the part where the Asian man screams “CHOU!” 10,000,000 times. The steps followed the main synth, but it kind of went on its own as a whole. It’d be better if there were more 8ths to follow the man’s chants. But, nonetheless, great fun!

Presentation

4/5
Nice cd-title and really awesome graphics! It would’ve been really nice if you included an .lrc file, though. I, as well as many others, would really enjoy chanting “CHOU!” with the crazy dude saying them over and over again.

Tilt

+2/5
Excellence in everything you did! Great song, too. My first impression was good, but my after impression was even better! I would definitely play this again, and again, and again, as many times as I’d even hear the word “CHOU!”.

Total

24.5/25
WOW! What else is there to say? …hmmm… Oh, right. CHOU!

Face of Fact –RESOLUTION- - KOTOKO & Mami Kawada

Steps

Light – 3.5/5
Ahhh! Why was that end freeze there?! Sorry, but that prevented this chart from receiving a 4. Speaking of 4, this was a very solid 4 foot chart for the most part. All of the quarter note freezes were executed very nicely. I especially liked the jump freezes (except for the end). The 8th taps were very appropriate, but the 8th freezes weren’t. I really liked your 8th note usage in this chart, but I found a couple offbeat notes that didn’t really follow anything.

Standard – 3/5
Too much freezes… It was kind of odd that you put that many freezes in the song and left the whole ending of it completely freeze less. Some of the 8ths were alright, but some of the streams didn’t please me, but freeze usage hurt you the most here. Try not to just add in random short freezes either. Kind Lady has them, but crazy enough, they work really well. Unfortunately, that factor wasn’t present here.

Heavy – 7.5/10
Lol at the end jump. Not bad, though. I liked most of the patterns you set with the music and they worked well, but your freezes hurt your score. The freezes in the intro were going right, imo, but then you switched to 8th patterns. It’d work better for the freezes to continue. At the end, the freezes took too much control. There shouldn’t have been that many and it reminded me of DoLL’s Challenge chart, which I don’t really admire. Otherwise, good job with this.

Presentation

3/5
I liked the video a lot, but not so much the graphics. The banner doesn’t look very pretty, but the background is a bit better, although I really can’t read it when it shows up before or after playing the song, but when I took a look afterward, it didn’t even have the title of the song on it.

Tilt

+2.5/5
Ok, a lot of extras here. First off, very nice video you’ve got there. An anime intro I actually like! Some Japanese lyrics that I can Japanese to are also included. Challenge was very ITG and, unfortunately, this is a DDR-styled competition, so I won’t give you many points for that. Beginner broke 2 very important rules that I don’t think DDR SuperNOVA has foolishly broken yet. That of non-double step notes and that of arrows during a freeze. You’ve also added a complete set of double steps. To be honest, my first impression was basically, “Oh no! Ugly banner and the music is… anime?” But, after I played it, my opinion changed a lot about the song. I might play this song again just for the video.

Total

19.5/25
There were a TON of extras, which really helped your score, but the graphics and steps weren’t of the best quality. However, the background fit into the great video, but the title of the song wasn’t even in it. Step-wise, there were waaaaaay too many freezes. I docked off points for them in all the necessary step charts. Overall, it was a pretty decent file, more decent that I had expected it to be.

Ievan Polka (Tiegel Radio Edit) – Tosh from RIGHT STUFF

Steps

Light – 4.5/5
Ooooh. Very yummy! The 8ths were appropriate in almost all parts, but in the beginning of the song, those first 4 sets of 8th taps rubbed me the wrong way. On the contrary (I can’t believe I just used that phrase…), I loved all of your freezes and all of your corner jumps! This was the ultimate Light chart for this song, besides those first few 8th notes!

Standard – 4.5/5
OMG! I love this so much! Excellent freeze and 8th note usage. A nearly perfect chart! … But, saying that, it wasn’t perfect. All I had issues with were a couple of random corner jumps like the jump in the middle of the slow section of the song. That made me wince. Odd how something like a misplaced jump can do that… Nice triple 8th taps, btw. I think this beats CHOU! as my favorite Standard chart so far.

Heavy – 7.5/10
Awww… I was expecting a lot more from this chart. It was fun, but it was also a bit repetitive at points. The 16th trills were predictable, but very necessary. The gallops, however… I’m not sure if they were all that necessary at points. I was expecting more freezes for a trancy song like this. But, you did what you could and it turned out moderately well.

Presentation

5/5
I LOVE THIS SONG!!! My first impression of this song was so good I even had a dream that Ilona Mitrecey was dancing to the addictive beat of the Ievan Polkka (well, not really)! The graphics were expertly done! I could stare at them while listening to the amazing preview music for hours (well, not really either)! You presented this simfile very well and I have no problem awarding you full points (well, REALLY)!

Tilt

+2/5
Extras included were an interesting cd-title, a very fun beginner, and a whole doubles set! I’ll also give you extra some points for a tremendous display of presentation. I’ll probably overplay this song until there are no more Ievans to Polk on.

Total

23.5/25
I loved everything in the simfile but the Heavy steps. Unfortunately, the Heavy steps are worth the most points, and since they were highly predictable and not all that creative, I docked off some points. But don’t get too down on yourself for that because this was an amazing simfile overall!

Nantettatte Densetsu Lucky Star PS2 – Hirano Aya & Katou Emiri & Fukuhara Kaori & Endou Ayu (Any more artists I should know of?)

Steps

Light – 3.5/5
Alright, this was a bit easy for a 3, but the steps kicked up the pace near the end. The beginning really felt like a Beginner chart. I think the quarter note patterns were alright. The freeze usage near the end was kind of awkward, but that was minor. The major issue here was that of inconsistent difficulty. Some parts were very beginner, the beginning, and some parts were difficult, the end. I guess you could call that difficulty progression, but it makes this 3 foot chart seem too easy.

Standard – 3.5/5
Whoa, isn’t that a little too easy to be a 5? Anyway, pretty nice job here. The freezes were fun and the few 8ths that were there were good for the most part. There was a random corner jump in there for some reason during the chorus. I liked this chart, but it’s just too easy too be a 5 and it felt a lot like it could be a Light chart, besides the streams of quarter notes.

Heavy – 7.5/10
Ehhh, way too karaoke. The beginning parts were really nice, but then all of the sudden… KARAOKE DDR PARTY! Lol, ok, it wasn’t like that, but I didn’t like how everything during the chorus followed the cutesy Japanese voices. Some of the corner offbeat 8th jumps got a bit repetitive. I liked the overall patterns of the song and the beginning and end were good. Just don’t follow the chorus sooooooo much.

Presentation

2.5/5
The graphics were kind of bland, especially the banner. The text wasn’t too appealing and I could barely read the artist text. It’s not your fault there were that many girls that sang the song, but it could’ve certainly been bigger. Luckily, the video boosted you up. I had no idea Lucky Star was made into a video game for the PS2.

Tilt

+2/5
The video was cute. The Challenge steps were better than Heavy. The Beginner was a bit too freezy. My first impression was kind of meh. But, after watching the amazing video, I kind of liked it. You really should’ve put the chorus section of the song as the sample music, not the “NANANANA” whatever parts. An .lrc is included, which is nice for late night karaoke. I’d play this again for the video of the cute anime girls.

Total

19/25
You had some trouble with the steps and presentation, but there were some extras to help you out, like the video added. Overall, not bad.

Pretty Green Eyes – Ultrabeat

Steps

Light – 4/5
Freeze mania, eh? I don’t think there should’ve been that many freezes, but I guess that’s what made it a 2 footer. In the beginning, you actually followed a distinct beat, which was good this time around. I liked nearly all the freezes in here, and the jumps were fun too. Don’t go too crazy on the freezes. Otherwise, nicely done.

Standard – 2.5/5
Well, this was quite repetitive. From beginning to end of chorus, you used the same freeze jump patterns and the same 8th freezes. You also followed a very subtle beat in the beginning with those freezes. There wasn’t much to grasp onto at the beginning, so the steps kind of went on their own. Next time, think of new patterns to do. Don’t follow the same one over, and over, and over again.

Heavy – 7/10
Why was the beginning soooo quiet? It prevents you from stepping to anything but beats that aren’t even there. Those beginning 16ths didn’t even fit into the music since it was so quiet. The song really should’ve started at about half the original BPM so you wouldn’t have overstepped it. Some of the 8th freezes felt weird. The chorus to the end was alright. There were actually beats there that you could follow. I just really disliked the beginning. This chart kind of disappointed me, as I was expecting more from it.

Presentation

3/5
The song is amazing! The banner fits very well, but the background was not so pretty.

Tilt

+.5/5
I really love all of Ultrabeat’s music and you picked one of their bests that would really fit well in DDR. However, there aren’t any extras whatsoever. My first impression was really great. I thought this file was going to be really amazing, as much as the song is. Yet, the steps as a whole disappointed me. You could’ve achieved a lot more, but that didn’t happen. I would play this again just for the song, but maybe not since the beginning was sooooo quiet and the steps didn’t match that aspect.

Total

17/25
I was quite unimpressed by the steps in this file. I had high expectations for this file, but I guess you can’t judge a simfile by its song. Pity.

Secret – Goto Maki

Steps

Light – 4/5
Well, could you have really done anything wrong with a 1 foot Light chart, but to make it a little too easy for Light? This was definitely a Beginner chart. Play some DDR Light 1 footers and you’ll find out they’re much harder than this. Still, there wasn’t anything wrong here. I guess that’s the outcome you’ll pretty much always get when making an easy chart. There’s not much room for improvement because there’s not much steps.

Standard – 4.5/5
Not your average everyday Standard chart, is it? It’s good, but soooooo easy. There wasn’t much wrong with it, but it feels really awkward to be playing a 2 foot Standard chart, not like that hasn’t been done before in DDR. I can’t give you a perfect score here because of some of the quarter note streams. They just felt kind of weird at points.

Heavy – 8.5/10
Nice try with your read-me. The steps still don’t make much sense. Well, there’s nothing terribly wrong with them, as a matter of fact, they’re pretty well made, but I don’t know. I don’t like giving really easy steps a higher score than others that were harder, since there’s less room for mistake in an easier file, but if they’re good, I probably should. The sudden bursts of 8ths didn’t work for me, especially the end stream. I think I’m getting a little too critical here. I just don’t know whether or not to keep the read-me in mind while playing this simfile.

Presentation

4/5
Really nice banner and video. They both fit well with the song. I feel you presented this file pretty well. Not much else to say, though.

Tilt

+1.5/5
My first impression of this song went like, “sanchny, can you try to be a little less obvious?” I’ll give you a point for the added videos to fill up points missed in your presentation, but the song was a little too boring for me. There was also a lyric file so you get something for that. I probably wouldn’t play this song again, even though I gave it a high score. Read-me is win.

Total

22.5/25
Ok, if I’m being honest, I didn’t like this song. The steps were too easy and therefore gave me less to critique on. I’m not badgering lower difficult files. I think you were just being too safe. The read-me is the only thing that I enjoyed about your file, not because it was made well, like the steps, but because it was fun. If this competition were based on fun factor, this file wouldn’t have gotten such a high score, but I judge by truth and truth be told that these steps are good. Pick a higher BPM’d song from the Hello! Project next time, alright, sanchny?

Alright, TIMES UP! Let’s go to the breakdown, shall we?

SIMFILE LINE-UP

7th – All Rights Reversed – 13.5
6th – Pretty Green Eyes – 17
5th – Nantettatte Densetsu Lucky Star PS2 – 19
4th – Face of Fact –RESOLUTION– – 19.5

And now… give it up for…

YOUR TOP 3

3rd – Secret – 22.5

2nd – Ievan Polka (Tiegel Radio Edit) – 23.5

And… the winner is…

Is…

IS!

1st – CHOU! – 24.5

Alright, I hope you all enjoyed my review. I hope I graded as fair as I could. But before I go, I’d like to share some things about my journey through BEST-mix – Spring Break! – Bracket 3.

I had fun!

Now, wasn’t that exciting! However, I hit some roadblocks through this very emotional journey. During my adventure, I found out some very disturbing information on one of the songs I reviewed. You may want to grab a tissue before reading this, or at least a pillow to smack someone with when your dreams are suddenly crushed.

Jackie Chan sang CHOU!

WHY, JACKIE, WHY?!

Ok, enough nonsense. However, besides all this insaneness, there was one thing that I know happened for sure during my reviews. This time, it wasn’t a hallucination, but fact.

Can you guess which is correct?

A. I actually did have a dream about Ilona Mitrecey, but this time, she was dancing to Lucky Star theme songs!
B. Whenever I stare into light, since my eyes are a light hazel-green color, they turn completely into Green Eyes.
C. I finished my 6-inch hollow milk chocolate bunny from Easter while listening to the peaceful atmosphere of Secret.
D. During Face of Fact, my cat farted in my lap and made me break my combo on the song’s Beginner chart.

Well, I’ll leave you confused puppies to decide what exactly was my fate, but make sure you mind doesn’t complete Reverse psychologically while thinking about this.

Read, comment, but don’t keep in the anger. If you’ve got any problems with anything listed above, don’t be afraid to butcher my head off with a spoon. Hopefully, it’ll be a knife. The faster, the better, right?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:53 pm

ANONYMOUS POST:

Sir.Rendr wrote:Secret - Goto Maki
The steps were too easy and therefore gave me less to critique on. I’m not badgering lower difficult files. I think you were just being too safe.

Point: The other files were being too safe in not including as many spaces for people to critique.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Sir.Rendr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Hahaha! I LOL'd here!

sanchny, you're in the top 3 in my review. There's only one review so far and you're in.

I'm beginning to think you left this little portion out of your read-me and forgot about it until I sparked the little lightbulb in your mind with my review, which reminded you to state this very important point.

I mean, you are joking, right?
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Sir.Rendr wrote:sanchny, you're in the top 3 in my review.

OMG AUTHOR ASSUMPTION

Well okay, I do still think it's very obvious this file is by sanchny.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Sir.Rendr wrote:Hahaha! I LOL'd here!

sanchny, you're in the top 3 in my review. There's only one review so far and you're in.

I'm beginning to think you left this little portion out of your read-me and forgot about it until I sparked the little lightbulb in your mind with my review, which reminded you to state this very important point.

I mean, you are joking, right?

Wha?

I don’t like giving really easy steps a higher score than others that were harder, since there’s less room for mistake in an easier file,

Well, that's not really fair, since you're assuming that there actually is less room for mistake in an easier file, which would imply that in order to get a higher score everyone should just make harder files. Just assume that easier files are as easy or as difficult to make as harder files and look at it that way.

And judging by how a lot of the DDR community is, it's really MUCH riskier to make a 4-footer than to make anything of a higher difficulty.
Posting Member

by Rob00996 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 am

I hope its not too late to review this,

All Rights Reversed - The Chemical Brothers feat. Klaxons

Light 3/5
The steps were actually not that bad. It went well for the most part, except for having a few too many corner jumps. The stepchart also should have been at least a 4 footer.

Standard 3.5/5
Steps aren't too bad either, the steps did become a little repetitive in the middle, but it wasn't too bad.

Heavy 7/10
I liked these steps a bit. It did seem like there was
alot of double stepping after 16th note triplets and jumps.

Presentation 5/5
The background and banner fit the song perfectly and well made. There was nothing wrong here.

Tilt 0/5
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any extras

Overall 19/25
A simfile that most likely won't win, but still enjoyable.

CHOU! – DJ OZMA

Light 5/5
Well done. I especially like how you repeated the step patterns when the vocalist in the song said "Shake Shake Shake Rewind"

Standard 5/5
Perfect steps here. Nothing wrong here

Heavy 10/10
Once again, awesome steps. I liked how you didn't have jumps whenever the vocalist said the word Chou.
Following the synth during that part prevented the steps from being a repetitive amount of jumps.

Presentation 5/5
Nice looking background and banner as well.

Tilt 0/5
Unfortunately, no extras were found.

Overall 25/25
Even without the extras, this simfile stood out alot,
and could probably win this tournament.

Face of Fact –RESOLUTION- - KOTOKO & Mami Kawada

Light 3/5
I thought the steps were alright for me. There seemed
to be a part in the middle of the song that there was
a few 8th notes that didn't go with anything.

Standard 2.5/5
I didn't enjoy these steps alot. The short 4th note freezes that appear when the vocals start weren't necessary. The steps also got boring and repetitive around the end.

Heavy 7/10
The steps were decent for me. It seemed at the beginning that the step patterns in the beginning seemed almost identical to the standard step patterns.

Presentation 3.5/5
The banner looked allright. It seems a little strange how the background said "Stand By, Loading" at the end of the song.

Tilt 3/5
+.5 beginner steps (would have been +1 but there are not supposed to be freezes in beginner mode)
+.5 challenge steps (would have been +1 but the steps were ITG style steps)
+1 lyrics
+1 video

Overall 19/25
The extras helped this simfile alot. The steps are by no means bad either.

Ievan Polka (Tiegel Radio Edit) – Tosh from RIGHT STUFF

Light 5/5
Really fun. Nothing wrong here.

Standard 5/5
Once again, really well made steps, probably one of the best standard stepcharts I've played in a while.

Heavy 4.5/5
I also thought these steps were really good. There was alot of variety, but there seemed to be a bit too much double stepping throughout the song.

Presentation 5/5
Nothing wrong here.

Tilt 2/5
+1 beginner steps
+1 doubles steps

Overall 25/25 (supposed to be 26.5)
Another amazing simfile. But I still like Chou just a wee bit better because of its heavy steps.

Nantettatte Densetsu Lucky Star PS2 – Hirano Aya & Katou Emiri & Fukuhara Kaori & Endou Ayu

Light 1.5/5
The steps in the beginning were really repetitive and
were pretty much the same pattern throughout the first half of the song. Then it starts becoming a little better during the chorus. There was also a few
freezes that weren't really necessary.

Standard 2.5/5
The steps were now less repetitive in the beginning. The steps during the prechorus were a little repetitive with what seemed like a long 4th note stream.

Heavy 6/10
The steps seemed to follow the vocals way too much. You could have done alot better steps if you let the steps follow the beat along with vocals a bit more.

Presentation 5/5
Pretty good bg and bn

Tilt 3.5/5
+.5 beginner steps (would be +1 but there shouldn't be freezes in a beginner file)
+ 1 challenge steps
+ 1 video
+ 1 lyrics

Overall 18.5/25
Wow, the extras in the simfile really helped out the score.

Pretty Green Eyes – Ultrabeat

Light 5/5
Not bad. The freezes fit the song perfectly and the everything was perfect for a 2 footer.

Standard 3/5
The patterns in the 1st half on the song, unfortunately were repetitive. You could have slightly changed the patterns up and not follow the vocals as much.

Heavy 7/10
Pretty Good. The steps were alot better in the beginning for me. There was a few weird freezes here and there and a bit of double stepping

Presentation 4/5
Nothing amazing, the text looked a little bit ugly.

Tilt 0/5
No extras that I could find

Overall 19/25
A solid simfile, and it only took you about 3 days to make.

Secret – Goto Maki

Light 4/5
Steps seemed really boring, but then again, its a 1 footer. At least you could have added a jump here or there.

Standard 4/5
Same thing here as in light mode.

Heavy 8/10
The steps were allright for me. But I can't find much
wrong here either.

Presentation 5/5
Nice animated bn and nice bg

Tilt 2/5
+ 1 video
+ 1 well made readme

Overall 23/25
Even though it's not my favorite file, it does appear to be almost flawless.

Top 3

3. Secret
2. Levan Polka
1. Chou!
Last edited by Rob00996 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by Sir.Rendr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Juub005 wrote:Well, that's not really fair, since you're assuming that there actually is less room for mistake in an easier file, which would imply that in order to get a higher score everyone should just make harder files. Just assume that easier files are as easy or as difficult to make as harder files and look at it that way.

And judging by how a lot of the DDR community is, it's really MUCH riskier to make a 4-footer than to make anything of a higher difficulty.

Yes, making a lower difficult file is a lot riskier than making a medium difficult file, or your average 3/5/7 (not saying there's anything wrong with those, they're just one of the more common step charts out there), but there's more to why I chose to say what I did about Secret's steps.

I'm not just going to knock of points for low difficulty, you should know that. That would definitely be a biased opinion, don't you think? There were things with the charts that I disliked that didn't even involve difficulty. Heavy was a tad bit karaoke during the chorus, even though it fit the song pretty well, but was it perfect? No. That's why I didn't give it full credit, or at least a 9, and a 9 out of a 10 is pretty much a perfect grade in my reviews. So, Secret's charts were all nearly perfect anyway, regardless of difficulty.

I'll try to explain my opinion better with a "hypothetical" situation. Say, you play two completely different files. One file was a slow, very easy file, and the other was an energetic, instensly difficult file. Now, say, hyothetically, I found 10 notes in the slower file that confused me and I also found the same number of notes with the same problem in the more difficult file. The slower file contained a maximum combo of 190 and the fast-paced song included a whoping 400 combo. Pretend that everthing else about both of the files were perfect but for the 10 notes in each that bothered me. Do you think I should give the faster song the same score as the slower song? Probably not. If the problem is exactly the same in both cases, why give a chart with more combo the same score as one with not as much combo?

Do you get my point? If you create an easier file, you have a higher chance of getting deducted points for messing up just a few notes than does a harder file. In this case, creating an easier file is more risky only because if you make a mistake, the deduction on that mistake will be greater.

BTW, I never said anything about the fact that there is less room for mistake in an easier file. I said that there is less room for improvement (the less steps, the less amount of steps to fix, right?) and less steps to critique on (the hypothetical situation above explains this point clearly).

I hope you're still not confused as to why I said what I did. The grades for all the files I've reviewed in this bracket are pretty much final. Anyway, what would happen if you managed to change my mind and get me to give Secret an extra .5 points? Nothing. It would still be in the top 3 and would therefore be moving on to the next round.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 pm

No, it just was somewhat unclear to me. Never mind; I kind of feel wrong for posting that since you wrote a lot in reply but yeah, I understand what you mean now.
Posting Member

Next