Bracket 3 - Rating and Discussion

Experimental judging, high quality files and FUN!

by Sir.Rendr » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 am

Well, the reply wasn't only to you, but anyone else that was a bit confused. I had a feeling that would confuse some people, so I wrote that to settle my point.

You weren't wrong as to write that at all. I'm sure other people shared the same problem, so I'm definitely not mad at you.
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:40 am

Let's give this reviewing thing a try...

ALL RIGHTS REVERSED

Light: This definitely felt underrated - I reckon a high 4 would be more accurate due to the amount of stream. Some fun ideas - liked the part with the freeze & step sequence interspersed with jumps during the middle breakdown. 3/5

Standard: Has more focus and energy than Light, but I still feel like you didn't really use the best rhythm patterns at the right time (the 8ths during the verse, witht he exception of the offbeat snare). It felt a little disjointed. 3/5

Heavy: The first few measures of this seemed very focused and on the money, but things gradually came undone a little. Too many corner jumps during streams that were unnecessary and also the isolated 16ths didn't work nearly as well as the 16th gallops or triplets. 7/10

Presentation: Graphics are a unique concept. Banner artists could have been done better. 3/5

Tilt: nothing 0/5

TOTAL: 16/25

CHOU!

Light: This all felt very controlled and a bit safe. During the verse, you took a few more risks with the jump placement to make things more interesting though. Still, there were a few too many gaps. 4/5

Standard: I love this chart. The off-beats during the hook are what the Light chart was missing, and the awesome balance of jumps and stream made this chart really fun! 5/5

Heavy: This has the most energy of all three charts, which is what I'd expect. The repeated 8ths during the hook weren't the best, but everything else worked pretty great! 9/10

Presentation: These graphics are really well made and it's nice to have the cd-title as well. 5/5

Tilt: nothing additional 0/5

TOTAL: 23/25

FACE OF FACT -RESOLUTION-

Light: When this chart got into the stream, things worked pretty well I think. However, early on with all the gaps and 8ths, I don't think it quite worked as well as I'd hoped. The steps tried to be too clever. 3/5

Standard: Again, this chart worked well when the beat was behind it and the stream level was high. I don't see the point in the really short freeze arrows, and be careful with placement sometimes as there are some awkward twists and double-steps. 3/5

Heavy: Finally you seem to have found a level you're happy with. This chart feels much more focused and works well with the music. Placement is great and I really enjoyed pretty much everthing about the chart. The final freeze sequence was perhaps a bit of overkill... 9/10

Presentation: Graphics were a little primative, but I can see you went for a similar effect as in the video. 2.5/5

Tilt: Video +1, Lyrics +.5, Beginner +.5, Challenge +1 - 3/5

TOTAL - 20.5/25

IEVAN POLKKA (TIEGEL RADIO EDIT)

Light: This feels a little jump-heavy for me. The more streamy sections worked much better than the fragmented parts, and during the intro measures it seemed like you couldn't decide how best to place the steps. 3/5

Standard: I didn't have much of a problem with these steps. Some of your placements could have been better to make the transition between phrases better, but everything seemed to flow fine. Try not to over-complicate things though - less is more. 4.5/5

Heavy: A nice tricky chart that provided plenty of varied challenges. The gallop stream worked well, but the 16ths got a little erratic towards the end and ruined the flow a little. 9/10

Presentation: I love these graphics. Colourful and well-made with a nice cd-title. Great job! 5/5

Tilt: Beginner +.5 - 0.5/5

TOTAL - 22/25

NANTETTATTE DENSTSU

Light: Very simplistic steps that I can't really find fault with, but at the same time a bit more variation in the rhythm streams would be good. 4/5

Standard: Love this chart! It plays perfectly with great flow all the way throughout. No faults found. 5/5

Heavy: A couple of awkward double-steps at the very start, but this quickly settles into a really fun chart that matches the music really well. I do wonder whether halfway through it matches the music a bit too well though, as it's mostly just karaoke. Still, I don't think this is much of a problem. 9/10

Presentation: Really simplistic but well-made anime-style graphics that tie in well with the video. The artists are mega difficult to read! 4.5/5

Tilt: Video +1, Lyrics +.5, Beginner +.5, Challenge +1 - 3/5

TOTAL - 25/25

PRETTY GREEN EYES

Light: This song is virtually impossible to step in an interesting fashion because the beginning is so sparse. This was all a bit too empty and freeze-heavy, and the steps didn't really feel like they belonged until the beat dropped. 2/5

Standard: Once again, the steps tried their best to keep the interest level high, but when you are laying down 4/4 step streams and there is no steady 4/4 beat, it just seems odd. 2/5

Heavy: If you choose to follow a certain synth line (i.e. during the intro), stick to it. Don't try to lay steps where there is nothing happening. Again, this felt disjointed and lacked any real flow. A little better than Light and Standard though. 5/10

Presentation: Good concept, but the artist text needs some work and the title text in the background is a bit plain. 2.5/5

Tilt: nothing 0/5

TOTAL - 11.5/25

SECRET

Light: Woah, laid back or what? I don't think there's much you can say about these to be honest. They work, but then again you could really go far wrong. Not that inspiring. 3/5

Standard: Are you sure these are a 2 footer? You could have gotten away with rating them a 3 maybe, but I dunno. I struggle to find things to feedback about files like this - it works, but the song doesn't inspire me. 4/5

Heavy: This was a bit better and held my interest more. Nice use of 8ths during the chorus. Still not going to win massive legions of fans, but it was fine. 8/10

Presentation: Can't fault these graphics. Very crisp and high-quality! 5/5

Tilt: Video +1, Lyrics +.5 - 1.5/5

TOTAL - 21.5/25

FINAL RESULTS:
1) NANTETTATTE DENSETSU - 25/25
2) CHOU! - 23/25
3) IEVAN POLKKA (TIEGER RADIO EDIT) - 22/25

SECRET - 21.5/25
FACE OF FACT -RESOLUTION- - 20.5/25
ALL RIGHTS REVERSED - 16/25
PRETTY GREEN EYES - 11.5/25
Last edited by the_ditz on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Regarding karaoke steps--SuperNOVA (2).

Whether that's a plus or a minus is still your call, though.
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:14 am

It depends on the song - luckily Nantettatte Densetsu was the kind of song where karaoke steps actually enhanced the chart; just thought I'd point out that most times karaoke steps are lazy and won't work unless the melody lines are really, really prominent.
DDRExtreme.co.uk REVISITED - Video Games event now playing!
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 pm

the_ditz wrote:PRETTY GREEN EYES
Heavy
5/5

And since I know a little about fractions 5/5 == 10/10.
Posting Member

by Titiln » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 pm

same as it ever was
Posting Member

by the_ditz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 am

Lol. my bad - changed to 5/10 which is what it should have said all along XD
DDRExtreme.co.uk REVISITED - Video Games event now playing!
Posting Member

by Spork! » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Kind of a bump at this point, but I want whoever made Ievan Polkka to know that everytime I play the sim now, I love it more and more. Freaking BRAVO.
Posting Member

Previous