ANONYMOUS - Public Review

Registration now open!

Re: ANONYMOUS - Public Review

by BLueSS » Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 am

Hey there! I'm the author of Airhead. Let's get this show on the road!

Are You Ready to Fly
22/25

Expert
Lots of really clean, fun placement throughout this. The interplay between the 16ths, streams, and freezes makes for a solid experience. Unfortunately, not all of the karaoke 16th triplets work, due to the vocalist not following the rhythm perfectly at all times, as well as some of the chaos being hard to hear. Regardless, this is great for the most part.
8.5/10

Moderate
As far as mid-level steps go, this gets quite adventurous, despite being on the easy side. The variety here is quite flavorful, with my only nitpicks being the sort of slow start with the freezes, as well as the 16th triplets leading into the first verse not gelling with the rest of the chart.
9.5/10

Presentation
Graphics are readable and have a nice mix of fonts, but I wish there were more than to colors to behold.
4/5

Tilt: 0

Candy (Twerkz Remix)
24.5/25

Expert
Oh, this is so great! It's boldly fearless to take risks, such as the continuous step-jumps leading into the chorus and extensive use of crossovers, yet everything seems really planned. Each section has a unique identity that articulates the song in a unique but equally fitting way. I'd be hard-pressed to say anything holds these steps back. A+, whoever you are!
10/10

Moderate
Another showcase of extensive originality. However, I can't give this one the full score because some of the inner-phrase patterning is too inconsistent when more repetition would've helped me sink into the groove a bit easier. Expert did a much better job of balancing repetition with substance.
9/10

Presentation
Graphics are a clear venture into nDDRo theming. However, the outlining surrounding "Candy" looks really ugly, especially on the banner in particular. Stock DDR clips only make for a modest bump.
4.5/5

Tilt: +1
This file is easily one of my favorites, and for being one of the most creative entries in the contest so far, it deserves to be a bit closer to a full 25.

Cheers to Us
9/25

Expert
As a Moderate chart or set to something with a faster tempo, this might be okay, but if you're only strolling at 103 BPM, you gotta have something to spice up the experience, or else there's just not much to care about. The placement, while clean, is dull and straightforward, never becoming any more complex than moderate-length 8th streams, even when the song itself presents at least some opportunities for more interesting ideas. The lack of jumps and minimal use of double-steps or even crossovers causes everything to blur together, and by the end of it, I feel cold.
3/10

Moderate
More or less the same experience as Expert. Even with the notes technically matching the song, the lack of texture or any ambition whatsoever makes for an exceedingly dull experience. The generic placement and conservative rhythms fail to really punctuate anything in the song, so there's almost no sense of momentum throughout the entire thing.
3/10

Presentation
The banner is tolerable at best, but the background is quite abrasive with that heavily pixelated backdrop and tacky blend effect. At least the video is crisp and functional.
3/5

Chewingood!!!
16.25/25

Expert
These are pretty solidly middle-of-the-road. While the placement is appropriate and easy to follow, the notes follow the song in the least creative way possible, so there aren't many peaks and valleys to speak of. I think the only section that I truly enjoyed was the middle, where you added some same-note quarters and jumps, which accentuated the buildup pretty nicely.
6/10

Challenge
Treating these as ITG Expert steps, these are not too bad. The ability to get more creative with step-jumps and 16th bursts makes for a more varied experience than Heavy, even though I still wouldn't go out of my way to say this blew me away. The HVAM-ish double-steps are kind of forced though and feel like an arbitrary boost to the chart's difficulty.
7/10

Presentation
Really not a fan of the soft shadow underneath the title text in the banner, and the rainbow-coated characters aren't blended well into the dark, muddy backdrop. The background still is a low-res mess. Music video gives this a small boost.
3.25/5

Everybody Jumping
20.5/25

Expert
The phrases set to "Jump" by Kris Kross are easily the best parts of the song, as those are the only parts of the chart that genuinely feel like they're heading somewhere. The intro is also decent with its 16th runs. The other parts are identifiable, but they kind of meander around in their simplicity without much real development. The "People Everyday" finale has some nice use of double-steps, but is otherwise hampered by the song's emptiness during that section.
8/10

Moderate
Another solid, if not phenomenal experience. The first phrase after the intro could use more variety than just jumps all the way through, while later moments could have spicier movement in a few spots. The smart use of double-steps is nice, though.
7.5/10

Presentation
Really gorgeous simplicity. The diverse color scheme blends fatanstically with the thick text strokes and swirling stripes.
5/5

Good Girl
16/25

Expert
Your patterns are competent and have roughly the perfect amount of movement, but the placement I find too leading for most of the track. At many points in the song, I'm itching to shift my feet in a different direction, rather than linger along the same tangent for the entirety of the track. To put it in more straightforward terms, this could've greatly benefitted from some smart use of double-steps, as well as some crossovers to avoid the excessive forward-facing or occasionally ineffectual placement, like when you're lingering sideways during the gallops during the slowdown.
6.5/10

Moderate
Like Expert, this chart is perfectly serviceable, if a bit lacking creatively. There's not a whole lot of distinction between the different phrases despite the bite and variety throughout the song itself.
6/10

Presentation
Sample start is a bit off, and I'd like the text to take up a larger percentage of the banner.
3.5/5

How to Be a Human
17/25

Expert
Don't have a whole lot to remark on with these steps. They match the song and feel quite clean and planned, however the patterns are rather redundant and don't become any more creative than your typical 8th streams intermixed with step-jump freezes. It's enjoyable enough, but not anything I'd come back to repeatedly.
6/10

Moderate
Felt the same about these. While everything seems intentional, there just isn't enough variety or ambitious placement to ever elevate these steps above so-so.
6/10

Presentation
Really loving these graphics, which blend together well and suit the music video.
5/5

Karma (TOTA US Intro)
14.25/25

Expert
Plays like the vast majority of anime simfiles. The steps are playable, but the song itself gives you extremely little to work with, and all you really do is follow the guitar closely all the way through, making for a rather mundane stepping experience.
5/10

Moderate
Hard to really comment on these types of Trick steps, but with the necessary scaling back, they at least use 8th notes at the appropriate time while having just enough note variety to not drag too much. The interest level is still inherently harmed by the lackluster song choice, though, since there just aren't many great things to follow.
7/10

Presentation
Really weak graphics. Bonus for the music video.
2.25/5

Karma (Electric Fountain)
23/25

Expert
I like that there are distinct rhythms during every phrase, which makes for some great variety in a chart with very little air. The few jumps that do show up work wonderfully. I do find the triplet gallops during the chorus a bit forced, however, as they over-emphasize the section for me personally. For the most part though, this chart is lots of fun, despite its unrefined feel.
8.5/10

Moderate
Not many people are willing to toss in so many 16th notes in a Trick chart, so kudos to you for pulling that off so effectively here! The notes are spaced out enough that it doesn't feel overdone for its difficulty, but the chaos really spices up the flavor nicely. The chorus is a lot more effective here because you're more cleanly punctuating that synth line, rather than just decorating around it.
9.5/10

Presentation
Graphics are detailed and everything fits into place.
5/5

Last Surprise (You'll Never See It Coming)
9/25

Expert
Very little happens throughout this chart. It's mostly just some long freezes and notes that occasionally try to follow the vocals. Unfortunately, the rhythms are consistently incorrect throughout the chorus, so at almost no point do things become genuinely enjoyable. On top of that, the chart starts and ends exactly with the song, rather than allow a few buffer seconds on both sides.
2.5/10

Challenge
This benefits slightly from there being a bit more going on, but the errors with the rhythms are still present, and the placement feels really unplanned and unbalanced. The freeze arrows are also needlessly long.
3.5/10

Presentation
Graphics are an abysmal, fuzzy rip. Song quality is at least on point.
2/5

Tilt: +1
The song is really nice. I feel a little more positive about the entry just for that.

My Head and My Heart
15.5/25

Expert
I would not have played things quite this safely. Mostly this chart reminds me of early US CS license charts, where interesting riffs and rhythms are squandered for a more generic experience. In this case, I would definitely have integrated a little more chaos during the buildup to the chorus, as well as had the chorus itself stick out more. Not a bad chart, just sort of underwhelming.
6.5/10

Moderate
The intensity seems about right, but I can't help but feel something is severely lacking here. There's not much creative direction to the placement, so the chart has sort of a mundane, auto-gen feel to it.
5.5/10

Presentation
These graphics are bright and shiny, but the backdrop contrast is way overbearing. Would have appreciated a more diverse color scheme than just pinks and blues.
3.5/5

Out of the Sky (Andres Sanchez Remix)
12.5/25

Expert
These fit together where they should, but they're not especially creative, either. Partially due to the song, the patterns come off as really repetitive. The "So Deep" section does not feel appropriately built up to and would have worked better with less going on, as that would lead better into the following phrase (with the 3-note 16th streams), anyway.
6/10

Moderate
This really feels like it was designed out of obligation, rather than inspiration. The sheer reliance on quarters and 8ths doesn't pan out smoothly due to the excessively rigid phrasing, and the huge middle section is so sparse that I start to lose attention.
4.5/10

Presentation
Artwork is another bland, blurry rip. Nothing else holds this category back, though.
2/5

Pretty Green Eyes
8.25/25

Expert
Although the placement is clean throughout, the variety is so lacking that I barely feel any sense of journey throughout the whole chart. Every section is overstepped, from the beatless intro to the chorus with triplet-galloping forced to make the section harder than the aforementioned intro. Later on, it's basically just unbroken 8th streams.
2/10

Moderate
The notes match the song better here, but they're still crushingly repetitive. The intro once again comes across as overdone, trying to keep the player moving instead of quietly emphasizing only a few notes during a really sparse section of the track.
4/10

Presentation
Graphics feel like a rush job, with a rather tacky font choice and minimal effects.
2.25/5

Quiero L'Amor
15/25

Expert
In most cases, eurobeat charts are very difficult to make distinct or interesting, due to the main melody being so far at the forefront of the track and there being a general lack of texture to the backdrop. The most memorable thing here is just how haywire the crossovers are throughout the course of the piece. I will admit they add a nice challenge, but with so much of the focus being placed on following the song directly, I just don't see a whole lot that gives this chart much mileage.
6.5/10

Challenge
Frankly, as far as eurobeat songs go, this one is actually really smooth and laid-back. Such frenetic, movement-intensive patterns just don't click with it. The jackhammers and crossovers give the chart a little bit of flavor on their own, but I still wish you had gone for a far different approach.
5.5/10

Presentation
Aside from the pleasant-if-basic text, these graphics do little for me. The incredibly blurry backdrop image looks so awful juxtaposed with those bare-bones, transparent parallelograms.
3/5

Rock U (feat. Namie Amuro)
19.5/25

Expert
The patterns themselves are sharp, but I wish there were more breaks, since the chart is basically consistent movement throughout its entirety. The one big highlight is the Electro Tuned ending.
7.5/10

Moderate
This feels quite planned, but I still find it very repetitive. Part of that is the song's fault, but it doesn't ever seem like you're crescendoing to anything.
7/10

Presentation
Graphics are crisp and pleasing.
5/5

Shake It Off (The Factory Team Speed Mix)
19/25

Expert
It's as crisp and upbeat as you can expect from a Saifam speed chart, but it lacks the wow factor I've experienced with other speed remixes. A big part of that is just the song, whose rhythmically uninteresting melody doesn't allow room for very creative or interesting interpretation, so the chart ends up being fun but not exactly memorable.
8/10

Moderate
Basically a slightly easier version of Expert. It works well for what it is, but it still comes across as ever so slightly bland and doesn't have as good a development throughout its course.
7.5/10

Presentation
I'm sorry, but regardless of how nice the text looks, I cannot get over that stretched, pixelated backdrop. It just kills the professionalism that the artwork would've exuded otherwise.
3.5/5

Someone You Loved
23.5/25

Expert
While it's not the most varied chart, the 8th streams and triplets all fit together splendidly, and the placement is challenging while still being controlled enough to feel coherent.
9/10

Moderate
This isn't quite as engaging as Expert, but it has great placement that ensures a high score.
8.5/10

Presentation
Graphics are cheesy, but what else do you expect from a meme-style song? It still does what it must.
5/5

TetraQ
20/25

Expert
Doesn't follow the song in the most creative way, but it has enough variety and decent placement to be fun enough.
7/10

Moderate
Also strong, perhaps even a bit better in this case. Still not exactly the most original interpretation of the song, but it feels surprisingly varied while also having a clear structure.
8/10

Presentation
Graphics are great. The banner is especially nice. The background is a bit empty in the back, but I'll forgive it for the use of stock DDR clips.
5/5

Upside Down (Almighty Club Remix)
24/25

Expert
Yes! This is how an easy-end Heavy chart is done! All these patterns are simple and accessible, yet the sheer variety and sharp movement makes for an honestly flawless dancing experience.
10/10

Moderate
Parts of this could be a little more interesting, but it still has satisfying placement throughout, and it still has its highlight sections.
9/10

Presentation
I'm bothered by the imperfect resolution in the backdrop, but how often do you come across a simfile with original animations of all things? Definitely captures the feeling of a 3rd Mix Dancemania license.
5/5

Waratte Pon
10.25/25

Expert
This song has one of the juiciest, grooviest beats I've ever come across, and that helps the playability of this rather mundane chart more than anything. You really needed more variety in your placement than just running all around the pad.
5/10

Challenge
The relative restraint of Expert at least allowed the steps to somewhat get into the song's irresistible groove. By giving the player even less room to breathe here, the chart is basically just a bunch of uncreative streams with the occasional obligatory chaos.
3/10

Presentation
Graphics look super amateur. Better luck next time.
2.25/5

Whine & Kotch
25/25

Expert
This is soooo good. It's both smooth and focused, as well as complex and flavorful. Low BPM charts don't get much better!
10/10

Moderate
Another winner! You play well within the boundaries of Trick charts, yet you get creative enough that this is engaging all the way through.
10/10

Presentation
Love the animated banner. Artwork blends into the video really nicely.
5/5

Rankings

1. Whine & Kotch - 25/25
2. Candy (Twerkz Remix) - 24.5/25
3. Upside Down (Almighty Club Remix) - 24/25
4. Someone You Loved - 23.5/25
5. Karma (Electric Fountain) - 23/25
6. Are You Ready to Fly - 22/25
7. Everybody Jumping - 20.5/25
8. TetraQ - 20/25
9. Rock U (feat. Namie Amuro) - 19.5/25
10. Shake It Off (The Factory Team Speed Mix) - 19/25
11. How to Be a Human - 17/25
12. Chewingood!!! - 16.25/25
13. Good Girl - 16/25
14. My Head and My Heart - 15.5/25
15. Quiero L'Amor - 15/25
16. Karma (TOTA US Intro) - 14.25/25
17. Out of the Sky (Andres Sanchez Remix) - 12.5/25
18. Waratte Pon - 10.25/25
19. Cheers to Us - 9/25
19. Last Surprise (You'll Never See It Coming) - 9/25
21. Pretty Green Eyes - 8.25/25
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sun May 16, 2021 6:34 am

Hello! From the extensive team behind AggroSantos.com and its hit single Candy, here are our votes for the semi-final of the BEST-mix #6 Anonymous competition:

Airhead
- tacky ass heauxs singing bout a man they got involved wit like is dis song truly bout dem playin dumbselves!? but their lewks served w what dey were given wit in VHS times

ARE YOU READY TO FLY (Almighty Master Mix)
- am i ready to fly?! ill tell u what FLEW wig

Chewingood!!!
- the way my crylic nails chipped from dis n how i still had fun, A SERVE

Karma (Electric Fountain)
- what u did. was. THAT. --i

Last Surprise
- u did amazing sweetie

Out of the Sky
- ugh i Miss E yall n my plastic flower crowns while basking in the sweaty air of youths

QUIERO L'AMOR
- paul harris sounds like Calvin's trust fund daddy who's VERY rich, lush me with your riches daddy $$$$$ xoxoxo

Someone You Loved
- if i just ignored everything else, how cursed she was here, surprisingly she had a good time YES.YES.SHE.DID.

TetraQ
- inject nostalgia to my glittery veins UGHGHGHGHHH

Upside Down (Almighty Club Mix)
- the audacity to flip my wig back from down the drain to its upside position on my bald head--the A Twinks were screeching

Whine & Kotch
- the way they (&mine) PAWPED THEIR BUSSIES severely and da GIRATION JIGGLE-A-THON OF IT ALL da HOLE time we have no choice but to stan
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 am

Not BLueSS's feedback.

I'm the creator of Karma (Electric Fountain). This was a hard bracket to vote for; somehow I feel the average quality level of the files here, is really high. Except maybe 2 songs, all of them are really well constructed, flow well, and have some nice pattern ideas, but there some smaller issue that were preventing them to reach perfection (difficulty flow/spikes, movement, restrained creativity, etc). That's why there's a lot of honorable mentions, and even 2 that just almost make it.
In any case, good job to everyone, amazing quality overall

Approval Votes
HOW TO BE HUMAN
QUIERO L'AMOR
ROCK U
SHAKE IT OFF
Upside Down

Almost a yes
Candy (Twekz Remix)
MY HEAD & MY HEART

Honorable Mentions
AIRHEAD
ARE YOU READY TO FLY
Cheers to us
Everyday Jumping
GOOD GIRL
Pretty Green Eyes
SOMEONE YOU LOVED
TetraQ
Waratte Pon
Whine And Kotch
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 am

Not BLueSS's feedback.

Greetings, community. I am the stable genius behind SOMEONE YOU LOVED by ALI SPAGNOLA FEAT. SOME HIPSTER DUDE WHO MEGA LOVES HIMSELF, a cover of the Lewis Capaldi song which is probably the most miserable piece of music since that ugly man in a hat covered "Mad World". WTAF was that about, lads?

I hope you have enjoyed my file and it didn't give you the nightmares.

Trivia: the intro to the song was ripped from an Aqua video by moi and edited in to add to the 90s euro vibezz.

I've sadley abandoned my full review due to time constrains so instead here is an approval vote for my top ten favorits, based on how much I enjoyed playing them. This pack was a ton of fun and every single file had something good to offer. BEST-mix is back babay.

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this story "The Tale of the Creepy Ass Lewis Capaldi Cake".

AIRHEAD
ARE YOU READY TO FLY (Almighty Master Mix)
Candy (Twekz Remix)
Everyday Jumping
HOW TO BE A HUMAN
KARMA (ELECTRIC FOUNTAIN)
PRETTY GREEN EYES
SHAKE IT OFF (The Factory Team Speed Mix)
UPSIDE DOWN (Almighty Club Remix)
Whine & Kotch

xoxoxo
Site Admin

Previous