BRACKET 1 (Non-Anon) - Download & Discussion

Registration now open!

BRACKET 1 (Non-Anon) - Download & Discussion

by BLueSS » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:38 pm

SPECIFICALLY DISCUSS BRACKET 1 IN THIS THREAD.

This is a NOT Anonymous / Revealed Bracket

LINK: http://best-mix.net/downloads/BM6-B1.zip

• Chmurek - BAAM
  • Pie-kun - Be With You
  • Air - Booty Me Down
  • ThreeFish - Count What You Have Now
  • RaverAce - Fly On The Wings Of Love
  • jammitch! - Hallucination XXX
  • aurae - Itsuko
  • Foxytail - Mirror Prism
  • lrxevan - OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN
  • Aki - QUAKE
  • Silver - Sunshine (Wippenberg Remix)
  • Juku - UMBRELLA BEACH
  • will-i-am - UP N DOWN
  • tammie - WHO THE HELL ARE YOU (Original Mix - Edit)
  • Braeden47 - World Coming Down
  • forcednature - それは花火のような恋
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: BRACKET 1 (Non-Anon) - Download & Discussion

by will-i-am » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:24 pm

Initial Thoughts (Initial Talk Remix)!

Omg Chmurek is back! Wow jammitch! steps another hard song. aurae stepping something obscure again, of course. Evan is still living in the 2000s, perfect. A beach isn't a beach without umbrellas and a wild Juku appearing! Going up n down this list, I still don't know who the hell any of you are!

Ok now actual thoughts.

BAAM is fun just a little samesy with the following the vocals throughout both choruses. Booty Me Down is overall creative with those short freezes but maybe could use a switch up down the line in terms of patterning them with the jumps. Halucination XXX is like Arrabiata in the sense it's arguably a 9 in old scale but probably a 14/15 in X scale. Mirror Prism has a lot of cool ideas with the freezes and it's pretty symmetrical. Itsuko has a lot of ideas in general (def gonna need to give this a fair number of plays). OOPS! is enjoyable and that 16th run sent me. QUAKE is like an A20 big room exclusive I'd never play from the songwheel but is actually decent enough. UMBRELLA BEACH is a return to form for Juku. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU is straight up HIGHS OFF U energy and I'm here for it.

Pretty strong start to this contest! I'd say I like WHO THE HELL ARE YOU most so far but it may change over time and I haven't played everything just yet. If I wasn't in this group I'd be submitting a full review, but I'll def get approval votes in whenever they're due.
Posting Member

by Titiln » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm

i haven't quite played all of them enough for a proper review, so i'll just review the graphics and presentation for now

BAAM - 8/10
i think the graphics have too much black for how colorful the song and video are, and i would've used a different font for momoland, but the rest of the concept was pulled off really well

Be With You - 9/10
i like the concept and colors, maybe a little simplistic and the capitalization between the songwheel and title don't match (could do all caps in the song wheel along with a dancemania ex7 cdtitle) but that's clearly nitpicking

Booty Me Down - 4/10
the text and drawn character are alright but the rest of the image is vile

Count What You Have Now - 6/10
the original artwork for the song used in the background is very cool, i think you could've done a little more to complement it with the COUNT WHAT YOU HAVE NOW text, a plain pink box works but is a little lazy when there are so many concepts to reuse there. i'm not sure if the character replacing the T in VANTAGE in the banner is gonna work for everybody but i liked it.

Fly On The Wings Of Love - 5/10
the song title is rough to read and you could've had more variety in the font choices. i was never a fan of using unrelated characters in stepmania graphics, although i guess winona makes sense because of the flying situation.

Hallucination XXX - 8/10
i don't know what i was expecting when i googled this song's title in google images.
i really like the original jacket and how it was cleaned up, and an excellent job with the banner taking elements from the same jacket, but i wish the background also did that. i understand that it's referencing the "video" for the song, but the jacket seemed like a far more visually appealing image to pull inspiration from

Itsuko - 5/10
i appreciate the reference to the very dull graphics for sigrev2 with the pretty boring text, but it'd be unfair to rate this any higher, it accomplished what it was going for

Mirror Prism - 6/10
the mirror prism text is kind of boring, both in font choice and the text itself. there's some interesting texture business going on in the background but it's also barely noticeable

OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN (Rise Team Eurobeat Bootleg) - 10/10
great job referencing the ddr 5th mix oops graphics, while also doing something different with the song title itself. great font and color choices, and a great background video sequence as well. there's probably some amount of bias here because lrxevan is a fellow nddro member but i really don't have any feedback to give

Quake - 10/10
i don't really like the quake text and i think the background's color scheme is better than the banner's, however the original background video brings this up to a solid 10

Sore wa hanabi no youna koi - 5/10
the original jacket is very cool and i don't think you did it justice by turbo blurring it for the banner

Sunshine (Wippenberg Remix) - 6/10
i'm a fan of the color and font choices but the text itself seems like it's missing something to make it more visually appealing

UMBRELLA BEACH - 10/10
i don't like the colors used for the owl city logo but the rest of the graphics make up for it, and a good video sequence as well

UP N DOWN - 9/10
i like this one a lot, my only issue with it is that the arrows aren't as visible in the banner and jacket

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU (Original Mix - Edit) - 9/10
after looking at it for a longer while i think the song text would've benefitted from a brigher color but i like the concept otherwise. like for OOPS there might be some bias because tammie is a fellow nddro member

World Coming Down - 4/10
i like the concept with the DOWN going down but the execution isn't really there, the text is just very bland.
same as it ever was
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:54 am

Not gonna lie, I never went back to Booty Me Down and adjusted it a to more fair score---it isn't the best file in the bracket and probably should be an 8 and not a 10. That said, guys come on it isnt THAT bad....

.....i can tell most of my reviews are gonna be outliers here.

Anyway glad Who The Hell Are You is getting mad love
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm

I see a bunch of comments on the art for Hallucination so:
The jacket comes straight from CxB iOS. But that's the only art the game gives me to work with - CxB iOS did not have videos except for licenses - and I didn't want to use the same art in all three places, and I had zero inspiration and zero time so yeah the BG's kinda crappy :D

Seeing "8/10 yep it's jammitch" is probably the best compliment I can get :) I see that the difficulty is up there for a lot of people but if we're doing a throwback tournament I really wanted the Afronova throwback steps for the Afronova throwback sample, come what may!

I have a second song partially ready... considering trying to put together an "outtakes" pack if anyone's interested.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member