When's BM6?

Registration now open!

Re: When's BM6?

by Hiryuu » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:21 am

>Slow day at the office

>Best-mix email

Excuse me?

Hi. What is this? I thought this was a dead thing. I haven't made simfiles full time in a decade ever since I hit the bricks and went full time into a career for myself. Haven't even opened StepMania in years. They'd probably suck more than they did then.

I guess let me know if you want me to throw one your way though. Could be fun to blow the dust off.
Image / Image
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 am

Since you've got a lot going on in your life nowadays, would you want anybody else to help you run the contest? I know you traditionally hosted these things all by yourself (which is a serious and commendable effort), but if your personal life nowadays is too hectic to juggle with and you need any help reaching out to people, judging, organizing things, etc., I think a number of us would be willing to assist. :D
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Hiryuu wrote:I thought this was a dead thing. I haven't made simfiles full time in a decade ever since I hit the bricks and went full time into a career for myself. Haven't even opened StepMania in years. They'd probably suck more than they did then.

Welcome back! I think a lot of us will be in the same boat here.

It's really cool seeing so many of you returning already!

#Infinity wrote:Since you've got a lot going on in your life nowadays, would you want anybody else to help you run the contest? I know you traditionally hosted these things all by yourself (which is a serious and commendable effort), but if your personal life nowadays is too hectic to juggle with and you need any help reaching out to people, judging, organizing things, etc., I think a number of us would be willing to assist. :D

If we do this, we should do this BIG. That will likely require help, and I'm definitely open to getting more people on board to make this happen.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Telperion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:47 pm

wh...what year is it

Depending on when BM6 runs...I'm absolutely game! I've been actively simfiling since BM5 and mostly focus on "ITG style" content these days, but regardless of format I will have a hat to throw in the ring :D
Posting Member

by Pandemonium X » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Yo, I'd be down for trying out for BM6. I ran the ZIv Summer Contest for about a decade and was more focused on that when BEST-Mix was active. I'd love to expand and reach out to new players and show what I got to offer.

I started out doing DDR style charts in 2008ish doing only BEMANI files but since about 2010, I've expanded to anything from to license music, other music games, and so on. I've adapt to the modern DDR style but I do throw in a few gimmicks (mines, rolls) into files every now and again.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and would love to see this be a thing. Excited to be here.

by Foxytail » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Telperion wrote:wh...what year is it

Apparently the year where most would read the email we got as the forum equivalent to an "@everyone".

Anyway, I'm down with a new BEST-MIX to pass the time. Actually would be extremely fitting to call it something like BEST-MIX IIDX as the follow-up to FINAL. I dunno...just something that came to mind since that sticks out like a sore thumb after dubbing 5 as the last.

Meanwhile, I'll just wait to see who in this present time checks their email frequently enough to respond to demand...without checking this off as some sort of spam. xD;
Posting Member

by t7r » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm

BEST-six?
Posting Member

by Rage » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm

I've been working on some files lately after a long hiatus so this is great timing.
(I'm sure I had an older account on here back in the day but I tried every combination of username and password I could think of, and no luck.)
Posting Member

by Lisek » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:29 pm

BLueSS wrote:If we do this, we should do this BIG. That will likely require help, and I'm definitely open to getting more people on board to make this happen.

Just like in past, I'm willing to help to some degree. Be it helping with discord (I admin 2 servers so have some experience) or some graphic work.
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Hiryuu wrote:I guess let me know if you want me to throw one your way though. Could be fun to blow the dust off.

Oh shit what's up Hiryuu! Haven't seen you since like Bemanistyle 2009 or something.

You should absolutely make something for this.
Posting Member

by Jezendar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 pm

I've not been involved in the simfile scene for several years now. It would be nice to take part in one of these competitions again, if only for nostalgia's sake. I hope I haven't gotten too rusty...

As for whether it's handled through a forum or Discord, I could go either way, really. Forums would be more familiar to the old-schoolers like myself, but I can't imagine Discord being an issue of any sort.
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. - Popeye the Sailor Man
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 am

#Infinity wrote:I have to be brutally honest, I tried getting back into simfile contests last year with a Z-i-V summer contest, and it went so badly that it kind of killed my remaining nostalgia for Dance Dance Revolution. I got last place in my bracket after previously doing generally well in step contests here and on DDREvolved. I also strongly disagreed with the rest of the results.

tbh I sorta crashed and burned from the ZIv contest scene too. I dunno HOW I ended up getting 5th in a contest at the start of 2020, but somehow I did...and in that way I kinda feel like a hypocrite if I talk crap about the contests. Ah well.

Anyway, Discord's really, really good for this sort of thing. You do have to have a secondary upload source to put the packs on, though. I think there's a 8Mb maximum in single uploads on there.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:14 pm

MixMasterLar wrote:Oh shit what's up Hiryuu! Haven't seen you since like Bemanistyle 2009 or something.

Hah. Thanks.

Yea, I announced retirement in 2010 on ZiV back around when the last recession hit and I was basically jobless for eight weeks. Had to get things in order and that pretty much required me to go at my career choice full time and focus on getting certified and the like.

Good news is it worked out.
Image / Image
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Hiryuu wrote:
MixMasterLar wrote:Oh shit what's up Hiryuu! Haven't seen you since like Bemanistyle 2009 or something.

Hah. Thanks.

Yea, I announced retirement in 2010 on ZiV back around when the last recession hit and I was basically jobless for eight weeks. Had to get things in order and that pretty much required me to go at my career choice full time and focus on getting certified and the like.

Good news is it worked out.

I remember that happened, glad it worked out!

I think shortly after I disappeared for like 3 year haha
Posting Member

by Rage » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:02 am

Anything I submit will have an old-skool DDR vibe as thats what I love, but I'll try and throw in a little modern flavour as well.
Posting Member

PreviousNext