When's BM6?

Registration now open!

Re: When's BM6?

by Super_Ray » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am

I was just getting back into DDR when covid hit. I actually downloaded SM5 and got the DDR A theme and updated all my pop'n mix files
Posting Member

by Aki » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Holy shit, everyone's here!

Oww my back... depression hit me hard, but i'm getting back on my feet and basically living a new life. Glad to see everyone again.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Akira wrote:Holy shit, everyone's here!

Oww my back... depression hit me hard, but i'm getting back on my feet and basically living a new life. Glad to see everyone again.

Good to see you too broski
Posting Member

by mintessence » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Saw the notification in my spam folder (serendipitous; I no longer use that e-mail and was only checking it for an update on a runescape account recovery appeal!)
Is this happening again? Would love the opportunity to rickroll another unsuspecting stepper!

Seeing my profile pic; man I used to be so crazy about SNSD then.
doo doo doo doo doo
kissing you baby!
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am

My obsessions haven't changed too much in 12 years.
Image / Image
Posting Member

by lrxevan2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 am

Rage wrote:Anything I submit will have an old-skool DDR vibe as thats what I love, but I'll try and throw in a little modern flavour as well.

Second trying to encourage an old-school DDR vibe for this contest. ZIV summer contests have the other stuff covered. Old-school DDR players are refugees now looking for a home.

Also hi Rage!!!

by lrxevan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am

lrxevan wrote:
Rage wrote:Anything I submit will have an old-skool DDR vibe as thats what I love, but I'll try and throw in a little modern flavour as well.

Second trying to encourage an old-school DDR vibe for this contest. ZIV summer contests have the other stuff covered. Old-school DDR players are refugees now looking for a home.

Also hi Rage!!!

Also lol it turns out that this was my username back then what a meme lord I was
This special title makes me look cool.

by tammie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 am

It's weird to use this username which is connected to me being a bratty teenager, now I'm in my 30s and I swear I'm nice! It's really great to see some old faces here. Not to call any of you old.

I joined some modern contests, which was fun as a motivator to be creative and making files, but I was told my stepping style is "obsolete"... I would love a contest that is geared towards 1st-Extreme style files!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 am

It feels like a high school reunion up in here! Or more like a family reunion? Take your pick at whichever one is more likely to give you fond memories!

So here's what I'm thinking so far based on the responses.

1) DDR old-school style tournament only. No ITG category, which was present in previous tournaments (that game is gone, and has been absorbed into modern mixes).
    No mines or other DDR features that weren't present in Extreme.

2) Since we're back to 1 category instead of 2, I'll allow 2 Simfiles per person; not anonymous. Only 1 file can proceed to the finals (such as top 8). Author gets to pick which one advances.

3) Judging will be familiar: first be done by judges, then public review, then vote. There might be some surprises/changes along the way.

4) We're going to need time to get some files created, so what about starting in January? We're all (presumably) busy adults now with jobs and the such, so some of us have less time to dedicate to hobbies. From my personal experience, holidays are now a busier time instead of when I was young and had breaks from school/other obligations.
    This will also give people time to re-discover the resurrected tournament.

5) DDR Extreme rating scale, with the addition of slightly higher difficulties. 1-12 foot rating scale, with 11/12 being the ITG-level difficulties. I still don't know what the modern scale is supposed to be, and I'm not going to learn it for my tournament!

6) Packs with groupings of songs will release over several weeks. If you submit 2 songs, they'll be in different weeks.

I have zero tolerance for drama these days. [I have 3 kids thank you very much.] We're here to have fun so any super-serious drama will get a ban. We're adults now, so I don't think this should be a problem. Sarcasm and throwing shade will be allowed; but anyone who starts complaining about things being unfair, or trying to stir up any trouble that would make this no longer fun is going to get an immediate ban hammer.

Let me know
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by MixMasterLar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 am

All that sounds good to me

November is bloody jammed pack for me anyway so starting afterwards is ideal. Sometime doing the first week of January sounds reasonable for a deadline, but if we wanted to make it the last day of January so people didnt feel pressure to skip holiday stuff or risk rediscovering the Stepmania editor in only a week that's super cool too.

Also super cool: Congrats on the family dude! Man we're getting far in the video game of life rn haha
Posting Member

by t7r » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 am

BLueSS wrote:5) DDR Extreme rating scale, with the addition of slightly higher difficulties. 1-12 foot rating scale, with 11/12 being the ITG-level difficulties. I still don't know what the modern scale is supposed to be, and I'm not going to learn it for my tournament!

Was thinking this:
Classic 10 should probably be X-scale 15 to mid-16
Classic 11 should probably be X-scale hard 16 to mid-17
Classic 12 should probably be X-scale hard 17 and up

This is assuming we don't go all the way to "ITG 15" like this converter does.

January also fits since the ZIv competition will have ended by then, also assuming that lasts for just two rounds with 3 weeks each starting now.

I created some initial graphics too and I might create a separate thread for this.
Posting Member

by Aki » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Everything seems good. I'm pretty sure we've all got tired of all the drama and how much it has ruined.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Rage » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:19 pm

DDR-style files and a January start sound good to me.

Gives us all time to give it our best, and in terms of our personal lives I'm sure we'll all get caught up in the usual Autumn and Winter type things before too long as well.

I'm sure many of us will be releasing other simfiles before then (or entering the ZIV) contest, so we could have a fun couple of months ahead, to build anticipation.
Posting Member

by Hiryuu » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm curious what we're building this on or what the intended release version is. Last I played heavily was on 3.95+ and I wasn't a big fan of SM5 at the time I dropped out of the game.

Are there any specifics I need to keep in mind for that, graphics (i.e. resolutions of images, do I need a jacket file, etc.)? I mean we can go back to old low-res like it used to be back around the turn of the century if you want to keep it really DDR EX-esque.

Also, did you have any theming suggestions for songs in mind since we're sort of basing this on old stuff in general or were you more or less going open season on any and all songs?

Just wondering if there's some sort of standard you expect in that regard.
Image / Image
Posting Member

by MixMasterLar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:48 pm

I mean my graphics are gonna be lo res XD

I think open song/no theme for music would ne idea since idk how to define "old school DDR music" without either limitng songs by release year or songs Konami did.
Posting Member

PreviousNext