DDR 2-1 Judging Thread

DDR 2-1 Judging Thread

by BLueSS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:30 pm

DDR Bracket 2-1 Judging Thread
- The scoring from this thread will determine which 3 songs move on to the next round.
- This thread will be locked sometime on Friday morning/afternoon. Get your reviews in before Friday.
- You must pick 1 review method, you can't mix them.
- The entire bracket must be reviewed.
- The list of songs in this bracket are below for reference:

Code: Select all
3y3s - Kewing
Banzai Venus - Chmurek
Ghost Town - itzJV
L'avide ~ル・アビデ~ - Silverhawke
Mr. Saxobeat - DjJRun
The Call Disconnected - k//eternal

Thanks to Lisek, here are easy to use scoring templates

Option 1 - Complete Review
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 25
[color=#008040]__ / 10 - Heavy[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 10 - Secondary Chart[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / +/- 01 - Tilt[/color]

example:
Template Song 24 / 25
08 / 10 - Heavy
Great fun chart but lacks something. It needs more 1/16th jackhammers.
10 / 10 - Secondary Chart
It's great, nothing to add.
05 / 05 - Presentation
The background is dazzling so much that I lost my eye-sight.
01 / 01 - Tilt
Nice video but I understand that some people may not like it.

Option 2 - Partial Review
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 15
[color=#008040]__ / 10 - Heavy[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 01 - Tilt[/color]

example:
Bad Song 08 / 15
06 / 10 - Heavy
Could be better. I thought that this was pad competition thought.
02 / 05 - Presentation
The background is ugly. Comic Sans is so 90's.
00 / 01 - Tilt
No tilt. Leave me alone.

Option 3 - Approval Vote
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b]

example:
Blue Sad Song
I cried. I cried a lot. It's nice.

Option 1: Complete Review (25 points/song)
- Heavy (10), secondary chart (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 2: Partial Review (15 points/song)
- Heavy (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 3: Approval Vote (5 points/song)
- Typical approval vote style; vote for as many songs as desired, each vote awards equal points (5)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR 2-1 Judging Thread

by Zounder » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm

3y3s 13.5 / 15
8.5 / 10 - Heavy
-I love the variety of patterns present in this chart. The song itself got quite repetitive but the steps didn't suffer at all from it. Even with all the variety, I think this chart lacked the "oomph" that Vertex had, for lack of a batter term. I guess another way of saying that is that nothing stood out to me as especially creative or brilliant, but the chart is certainly enjoyable.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-Pretty!
0 / 1 - Tilt

Banzai Venus 12 / 15
6.5 / 10 - Heavy
-So once the chorus kicks in, the chart is very fun and has a nice rhythm to it, although I think I would have liked to see a removal of all those 8th note step-jumps in the chorus, since they didn't seem to gel with the simplicity of the rest of the patterns and rhythms in the chart. Now, I understand simplicity in the opening verse, but that long string of only 4ths was pretty overkill. And then the string of triple 8th notes and 4th felt very formulaic right afterwards. I would have liked to see the same style that the rest of the chart had applied to the opening as well. All that being said, this chart as a whole was still enjoyable.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-I like the shadow effect in the banner. Nifty video too.
.5 / 1 - Tilt
-I guess I'm a sucker for J-Pop.

Ghost Town 9 / 15
3.5 / 10 - Heavy
-I have a lot of issues with this chart, which is at the very least still somewhat enjoyable. First, there was a -lot- of left-facing throughout. Next, there seemed to be a lot of re-used step patterns and rhythms (I'm not accusing of copy/paste, but they were VERY close.) Lastly, much of the rhythm of the steps followed the vocals. I understand that during the part where the music drops out there's not a lot to follow, but there were certainly some opportunities to place steps in such a way that they didn't fall only on the vocals -both- times through that section. All that being said, the song choice was great and the chart has a lot of energy despite it's setbacks. There were just so many things that could be better.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-Just like Fireflies' graphics, these are fantastic.
.5 / 1 - Tilt
-Eh, what I can I say, I enjoyed this more than the score indicated. Even if it is incredibly karaoke, they're still fun rhythms. Still could have been better though.

L'avide ~ル・アビデ~ 8.5 / 15
6.5 / 10 - Heavy
-The steps themselves are solid, if a bit boring. The rhythms don't very much and it seems like most of the chart is just lots of medium-length stream. It's not terrible but not very exciting. The biggest issue here though is that the song choice does little in the way of making this chart exciting. While the song does have it's moments, most of this song is too soft and not very danceable, which gets in the way of my enjoyment of the steps. A solid chart, but could have used more help from song choice to be exciting.
2 / 5 - Presentation
-Somebody tell me if I shouldn't be penalizing for this, (or if I'm mistaken) but I don't see the song title anywhere on this background. And the text I do see is pretty hard to see.
0 / 1 - Tilt

Mr. Saxobeat 11.5 / 15
6.5 / 10 - Heavy
-I'm digging the song choice. This chart is an interesting one to break down. there's nothing majorly wrong here, but two somewhat small issues added up for me. First, I liked the step-jump stuff in the first third of the song, but during the final stretch I thought it didn't really fit in very well. Second, I also thought that the funky rhythm that gets repeated throughout the whole song was too closely stepped, meaning the steps seem to follow it (and rarely anything else) whenever it shows up. This is mostly the fault of the song, since that rhythm shows up so often, and you -do- make an attempt to not follow it the same way each time, but there are only so many step rhythms you can use when it shows up so often, it's going to feel stale. I think I would have kept the steps simpler during those rhythms at the start of the song, and maybe followed it closer and closer as the song progressed to have a difficulty increase that didn't involve step-jumps. Overall, still a pretty solid chart and it was enjoyable.
5 / 5 - Presentation
Simple, effective.
0 / 1 - Tilt

The Call Disconnected 11.5 / 15
6.5 / 10 - Heavy
-Better than Trial Machine, for sure. The song had a good beat and the steps reflected the hoppy nature of the song with plentiful jumps and good patterns and rhythms. But it suffers from one of the same issues as Trial machine did: I felt like this chart just bled together throughout, for what I guess I can call a lack of "phrasing." A step chart needs to progress and there's little to no no progression here. Secondly, those short freezes were completely unnecessary. I want to ask "have you ever seen short freezes like that in a a DDR song?" But I'm sure by now it's been done on either a home version or something, or some newfangled arcade version, but back in my day freezes actually meant something! >_> Anyway, that wasn't a big deal, just wanted to mention it. My last issue is the 8th note step-jump patterns, which seem like overkill at this BPM given the rest of the chart wasn't very difficult. I can understand patterns like that if the rest of the song matched it in terms of style, but they felt very awkward here given the composition of the rest of the chart.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-Looks very DDR-ish.
0 / 1 - Tilt
Posting Member

by Greg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 am

All SIMfiles in this bracket are IMO really good so my final scores will be very close to each other :)

3y3s 12.5 / 15
8.5 / 10 - Heavy
Nice chart. Some parts felt like it had steps where it shouldn't, like the 8ths at the beginning, but it's not like there's nothing in the song to put them to at that moment. The end part is really cool, I liked the crossovers.
04 / 05 - Presentation
The title and the artist's name both look cool but I somehow don't like the background behind them.
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

バンザイ Venus 15 / 15
10 / 10 - Heavy
Great steps :D I liked the chorus with gallops and stepjumps, it really fits the music. Also the crossovers for "NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA" at the end XD
04 / 05 - Presentation
Extremely vivid video xD The banner and background were made by me so it feels a bit weird to judge them, but now I see they're not happy enough to fit the song xD Oh well, I'd probably create something better if not the fact that it was 7AM after 2 days long m&a convention with almost no sleep at all XD
+1 / +/- 01 - Tilt
I liked this song, really happy and it feels cool to play :)

Ghost Town 13.5 / 15
8.5 / 10 - Heavy
Really cool chart. Some moments followed the vocal a bit too much, I think the drums in that moments would be more interesting. I especially liked the part just before the chorus.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Cool banner and background, that's it :P
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

L'Avide ~ル・アビデ~ 13 / 15
9 / 10 - Heavy
Great chart! The spins at the beginning are a bit too much though. I think one would be enough, but two makes it too hard. Nice use of crossovers and generally I liked how the steps went along with the music.
03 / 05 - Presentation
Banner is not so bad, but the background is not good at all. The titles on it are almost unnoticable.
+1 / +/- 01 - Tilt
Zektbach's song = lots of cool streams, I really liked it :)

Mr. Saxobeat 12.5 / 15
9.5 / 10 - Heavy
Really nice, lots of things that you don't see in other SIMfiles so often like double-crossovers, 192nd or 24th notes. Quite unique SIMfile :)
03 / 05 - Presentation
The colors feel a bit too pale, somehow it doesn't reflect how this song feels. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the correct offset for this is -0.135 instead of -0.120. It's not that I check if each SIMfile has exactly 1ms correct offset but in this case -0.120 felt a bit off while playing and after checking in DDReam Studio I think it should be -0.135. It's only 15ms but you can feel the difference getting more Marvelous instead of Perfects.
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

The Call Disconnected 14 / 15
9 / 10 - Heavy
Cool chart. I simply liked it. The only thing I don't get are these incredibly short holds that are literally impossible not to get OK on them once you step them. What's the point?
04 / 05 - Presentation
Nice graphics. The text on the banner could be moved a tiny bit to the right and maybe the title could be slightly different color because it blends a bit with that white flash in the background.
+1 / +/- 01 - Tilt
I liked the extra chart, quite hard, especially the 16ths :O
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 pm

3y3s 24 / 25
9 / 10 - Heavy
Good variety of twists and spins. I think the breakdown should have been more intense by following the main synth lead, but when everything picked up it was great and I do see why you decided to hold off on the difficulty earlier.
10 / 10 - Standard
I witnessed no issues.
5 / 5 - Presentation
#Infinity's graphics style doesn't naturally fit IIDX song choices, but the graphics are satisfactory nonetheless.
0 / ±1 - Tilt

Banzai Venus 18 / 25
7 / 10 - Heavy
Wow. The one Chmurek step chart that I'm considerably underimpressed of. This is textbook technique, minus that terribly lengthy section of just quarter notes. The movements were nauseatingly uninspired. Nothing was creative. At all! This blends in pretty well with every other forgettable J-pop step chart. I'm being harsh on this because it's a Chmurek chart. I don't know what you were thinking when you submitted this... Was this rushed?
6 / 10 - Standard
Boring.
5 / 5 - Presentation
Graphics are ok. Video of 16-year old girls makes up for them. No pedo. Song cut was long.
0 / ±1 - Tilt
After all the Gee's and ARTILLERY's, this was nothing short of disappointing.

GHOST TOWN 17 / 25
6 / 10 - Heavy
Not too bad but I already forgot what I liked about this. Maybe it wasn't anything in particular?
6 / 10 - Standard
Meh.
5 / 5 - Presentation
Ghosts ✓ Town ✓
0 / ±1 - Tilt

L'avide 18 / 25
8 / 10 - Heavy
I liked how organized this was. I was picking up your technique of patterns while playing the chart, which is always fun to do with a nicely structured chart.
8 / 10 - Standard
Another well-organized chart.
2 / 5 - Presentation
Low qual banner. What is that background!? I don't see the song title... *cough*it'srequired*cough*
0 / ±1 - Tilt
Zektbach can make calming music.

Mr. Saxobeat 12 / 25
5 / 10 - Heavy
You really struggled with the repetition, didn't you?
3 / 10 - Challenge
This made me move like a freak.
4 / 5 - Presentation
Similar to Braeden graphics, but I can tell you tried.
0 / ±1 - Tilt

The Call Disconnected 21 / 25
7 / 10 - Heavy
Don't like the short freezes, but that's not my problem here. It was simply uninteresting. Stale, but still edible, know what I mean?
9 / 10 - Standard
The call connected!
5 / 5 - Presentation
I mean, I can deal with orange.
0 / ±1 - Tilt
Oh, hey, it's FELM at the end. Clever.

1) 3y3s 24 / 25
2) The Call Disconnected 21 / 25
3) Banzai Venus 18 / 25
3) L'avide 18 / 25
5) GHOST TOWN 17 / 25
6) Mr. Saxobeat 12 / 25
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:40 pm

3y3s 12 / 15
07 / 10 - Heavy
The rhythms were generally pretty good here, but a few of the patterns weren't my cup of tea. The gallop section could have used some consistency in alternating feet, rather than moving all over the place. The crossovers and step-jumps were also a bit much at this speed.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Nice art, good sample, no need for a cut. I'm pretty sure it should be romanized "Seiryuu", although that depends on the system, and the word is "romaji", not "romanji", but I'm definitely not knocking points out for a file name like that.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Extras: Full singles

Banzai Venus 09 / 15
06 / 10 - Heavy
This felt like a pretty nice 7 most of the way, until the step-jumps. Especially with the crossovers involved, it doesn't really fit the rest of the chart, which is a pretty standard J-Pop chart. The cut runs a verse too long for my tastes as well.
03 / 05 - Presentation
Sample runs too long. Art is acceptable.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Extras: Full singles, video.

Ghost Town 11 / 15
07 / 10 - Heavy
This song had some nice rhythms, and the rappy parts reminded me of Hysteria, in a good way. What reminds me of Hysteria in a less good way are the step-jumps. My main critique of this song, however, is that you're facing left way too often. This song needs to use the whole pad. There were a few odd bits of flow as well.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Nice art. .old files in directory and "Copied from Copied f" show a lack of final polish.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Extras: Full singles.

L'avide 12 / 15
08 / 10 - Heavy
I liked the patterns in this song; it used crossovers well without being gratuitous with them. It felt like there were a few awkward parts, but I think I was just playing it sloppily, given how well the rest of it flowed together. Generally a fun chart.
03 / 05 - Presentation
Art is good. Background misses the standard DDR rule of including the title somewhere.
01 / 01 - Tilt
I liked this one enough to push it up another point here.
Extras: None.

Mr. Saxobeat 11 / 15
07 / 10 - Heavy
The rhythms in this song are excellent, except for a few specific places. One that comes to mind is the yellow jumps early - they didn't feel right to me. Some of the later patterns require double-stepping, which is manageable at this speed, but still doesn't feel great. The end gets a bit overstepped, whereas the breakdown is understepped. Still, the parts I did like outweighed the parts I didn't.
04 / 05 - Presentation
OK art. No other deductions.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Extras: Full singles.

The Call Disconnected 12 / 15
07 / 10 - Heavy
Knowing coming into this about the freeze arrows, I don't think it helped. It told me something was coming, but not what. I think you'll either know the gimmicks or you won't. Rhythms are nice throughout, but some patterns at the end have awkward transitions from jumps back to runs, where you have to shift feet, or otherwise guess which way to go. Also, this has an Unlimited/LoM Standard level of jumping. Probably want to tone that down.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Good art; no deductions.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Extras: Full(ish) singles.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 pm

3y3s:

Heavy - 9/10
Lots of fun stuff here. Great use of crossovers, and nice step variety. It's an all-around fun and creative package.

Presentation - 5/5
Again, I did the graphics for this. In this case, the song length is fine.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 14/15

Banzai Venus:

Heavy - 8.5/10
This is kind of uninteresting early on, but it quickly becomes livelier and fun by the time the chorus comes along. I like the use of gallops and step-jumps especially. It could be a little more polished, but so far, I think it's an underrated stepchart.

Presentation - 5/5
The graphics are kind of funny because the text effects look like some of the sample styles offered in PhotoImpact. They look a little tacky to be honest, but they're satisfying enough, and the background video adds a nice touch.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 13.5/15

Ghost Town:

Heavy - 6.75/10
I would love this, except that the steps face the same direction for way too long most of the time. Try varying your placement a little more - it'll yield great results.

Presentation - 4.75/10
I love the banner, but I dislike the artificial, aliased ghosts in the BG.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 11.5/15

L'Avide:

Heavy - 7.5/10
Your placement is excellent here, but this could definitely use some breaks because the steps seem indistinguishable throughout.

Presentation - 3.5/5
The BG is a little blurry, and why is there no song title in it? Whatever tiny text you have in the center doesn't correspond to this track.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 11/15

Mr. Saxobeat:

Heavy - 4.5/10
As alluring as this song is, stepping it effective seems to be no easy feet, and unfortunately this chart doesn't change my mind about that. It seems like you tried really hard to make the most out of what you had to deal with, but these steps are just very messy and don't flow coherently for me. Placement, for the most part, needs a lot of work. The transitions into "like a freak" are especially odd to me. The sections in-between the choruses are mostly uninteresting. Although I do kind of like the "mmm-ye-ah" phrase, the synth area has very poor and awkward use of 16ths, and the "hey sexy boy" section is just kind of dull.

Presentation - 4/5
The graphics are kind of cheesy, but okay. The sync is notably early.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 8.5/15

The Call Disconnected:

Heavy - 8.5/10
Actually quite fun. This is definitely a weird song to step, but this chart flows well, and I have very little to complain about technically.

Presentation - 4.5/5
So what is it with you and your interest in mashups? I'm not taking off any points for song choice this time because this remix is fine musically, but I still wish you would make slightly less farfetched song choices, since I really like your Tournamix-era simfiles. I don't like the graphics; the white-orange combination just doesn't do it for me, and the collage in the backdrop is messy and unbalanced.

Tilt - 0/1

Final Score: 13/15
Posting Member

by y3v0n » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:28 pm

3y3s
Song choice is hardly novel, but i have no problems with a bit of Ryu* in my life. It felt far more authentic than any other song in 2-1, from the steps (perfect balance of karaoke and rhythm) to the bpm gimmicks, which also changed things up wonderfully. Presentation is stellar too.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 pm

バンザイ Venus
GHOST TOWN
L'avide ~ル・アビデ~
Image Image
Posting Member

by aurae » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm

バンザイ Venus
L'avide ~ル・アビデ~
The Call Disconnected
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I rate charts based on how they flow with the music and are dance-able. So a perfect score means I thought it went well with the music and had no errors (not that I was amazed at the steps I am being entirely objective). I'll decrease the score if I hate gimmicks enough. For brevity I thought all the arrows went well with the music unless noted otherwise, if so then I only knocked off points for making me face away from the screen unless it's a full spin and I enjoyed doing it.

3y3s 17 / 25
05 / 10 - Heavy I counted 5 double-steps and they are ill recieved due to the many useful and well placed turns in the song, how would someone know if they were intentional or not, and no nonsense about playing at 1x StepMania is NOT meant to be played at 1x, there are Extra modes at 1.5x reverse, Beginner mode at C150 default (for ITG PC), and a default course called Tortoise and the Hare that forces much higher speed mods with random songs, StepMania is meant to be played at both high and low speeds and everything inbetween which is why I frown so much on necessary double-stepping. If you do learn to double-step then you miss all the great turns that you used, you just need to learn to make them ALL work.
09 / 10 - Standard Just one case of double stepping here, good chart in general.
04 / 05 - Presentation Text on background nice and simple, not sure about pink on pink.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt I do not prefer using "safe" songs from rhythm games, I reward risk takers.

Banzai Venus 24 / 25
10 / 10 - Heavy As much as I don't enjoy the songs, the steps did a fantastic job and more importantly the patterns were perfectly proficient.
10 / 10 - Standard Good job of paying attention to foot placement especially on the freeze arrow sections, it was again proficiently perfect.
04 / 05 - Presentation Images look blurry, they look like a low-res video rip. Nice contrast of text on images.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt Did I mention I don't like this song? But due to the video the -1 becomes a 0.

Ghost Town 13 / 25
07 / 10 - Heavy Three double-steps, they all had lots of time between them like at beat 48 but they are still double-steps in my book and could have been corrected, steps overall aren't that exciting.
02 / 10 - Standard Terrible chart, lots of double-stepping and ambiguous arrows (I mean a LR jump followed by an Up or Down that if you use the right foot then you mess up the next steps half the time, you should have used a freeze arrow to force the correct foot or a less ambiguous arrow such as L or R) and some of the 1/4 arrows felt like they should have been 1/8 to go with the music better.
04 / 05 - Presentation Who couldn't LOVE those graphics, not me. 194.001 really? Was 194.000 just a tad off, if YES then fix your OFFSET not the BPM. Copied From-Copied From, at least remove those tags.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt None, I wanted a tougher chart for this song.

L'avide 23 / 25
10 / 10 - Heavy A double-spin at the beginning that flows into a great chart, no points removed that was a well executed spin that players who have a tendency to double-step would miss out on but I appreciated it, steps like those are the reason I so adamantly oppose double-stepping in preferrance for intentional stepping, yes the arrows do guide every step and I don't have an issue with that at all.
10 / 10 - Standard Two full spins, they probably should have been in the harder chart but I'm just grading on proficiency and these steps were perfect (spins and all).
02 / 05 - Presentation Graphics leave much to be desired, the texts are to plain, seems like an unedited image found on the web, no SongTitle in the BG image two points for meeting requirements and a good sample/cut etc.
01 / ± 01 - Tilt No wonder I loved the song, it's Zetbach, great DDR music IMHO.

Mr. Saxobeat 10 / 25
00 / 10 - Challenge ALL of those 192nd arrows (or whatever they were) need to be changed to 24ths and there are MANY of them, the ones at beat 222 need to be 16ths, there are many double-steps and the patterns used are highly repetitive. Sorry for such a low score but there are just so many technical issues here, I do appreciate how you so closely tried to follow the music and make the steps fairly difficult for the song.
06 / 10 - Heavy I counted 4 double-steps and there may be more, I did not enjoy this chart it was to random, some patterns were just tossed around here and there, there's one section with a long freeze and you hit arrows then the very next part you just hit arrows without the freeze, the whole chart seems rushed. Some areas where I would have had steps but there were none, it was both to easy for Hard with some really dull sections and to random with complex rhythms even though the song is pretty consistent, but I'm only removing the 4 points for double-steps.
04 / 05 - Presentation I like it all of it well the sample cuts off abruptly that's it.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt I know you put alot of effort into this file but it just didn't jive with me, I really do like the song however even if it's just 127bpm pop.

The Call Disconnected 23 / 25
08 / 10 - Heavy 2 doublesteps otherwise pretty simple straightforward chart.
10 / 10 - Standard 10 this is a great Standard chart nice and jumpy.
04 / 05 - Presentation I didn't feel that slow-down into NOTHING at beat 196.5, other than that I liked the gimmikcs you used with the freeze identifiers, images are bright and the text is difficult to make out looks like the Bg is a concert that exploded.
01 / ± 01 - Tilt Amazing song-choice!!!!!! Just needs a CHALLENGE chart.
Posting Member

by Yuke » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:38 am

Approval vote:
3y3s
I liked the chart in general. Some crossovers, gallops, holds. The slowdowns were okay. I didn't like the super-short-holds thing. The banner and tha background were really nice. Overall, nice 9-footer, will play again for sure.

バンザイ Venus
I am unsure about this one. It was great at some parts, but I didn't really like the other ones. Maybe I got my hopes too high up for your new simfile.
Firstly, why the hell this starts with 6-7ish 1/4ths, and ends with 9ish crossovers with stepjumps and tricky holds involved? Did you want to make the player fall asleep with the first part of the simfile, just to see him trip and fail at the end? That is cruel! :D I get it, that you wanted it to be progressive but this is a little bit too much, I think.
I liked the first part (after the 1/4ths), refrain, the crossovers for "nanananana" are probably my favorite part. I love crossovers that match the music itself. <3 Zero doublesteps, variety of patterning, gallops are awesome and really fun. Next time just try to do it the more-fun way (like Gee).
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Approval Vote

Banzai Venus
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Simply quoting this for reference in case the original post gets edited.

hellrazor wrote:I rate charts based on how they flow with the music and are dance-able. So a perfect score means I thought it went well with the music and had no errors (not that I was amazed at the steps I am being entirely objective). I'll decrease the score if I hate gimmicks enough. For brevity I thought all the arrows went well with the music unless noted otherwise, if so then I only knocked off points for making me face away from the screen unless it's a full spin and I enjoyed doing it.

3y3s 17 / 25
05 / 10 - Heavy I counted 5 double-steps and they are ill recieved due to the many useful and well placed turns in the song, how would someone know if they were intentional or not, and no nonsense about playing at 1x StepMania is NOT meant to be played at 1x, there are Extra modes at 1.5x reverse, Beginner mode at C150 default (for ITG PC), and a default course called Tortoise and the Hare that forces much higher speed mods with random songs, StepMania is meant to be played at both high and low speeds and everything inbetween which is why I frown so much on necessary double-stepping. If you do learn to double-step then you miss all the great turns that you used, you just need to learn to make them ALL work.
09 / 10 - Standard Just one case of double stepping here, good chart in general.
04 / 05 - Presentation Text on background nice and simple, not sure about pink on pink.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt I do not prefer using "safe" songs from rhythm games, I reward risk takers.

Banzai Venus 24 / 25
10 / 10 - Heavy As much as I don't enjoy the songs, the steps did a fantastic job and more importantly the patterns were perfectly proficient.
10 / 10 - Standard Good job of paying attention to foot placement especially on the freeze arrow sections, it was again proficiently perfect.
04 / 05 - Presentation Images look blurry, they look like a low-res video rip. Nice contrast of text on images.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt Did I mention I don't like this song? But due to the video the -1 becomes a 0.

Ghost Town 13 / 25
07 / 10 - Heavy Three double-steps, they all had lots of time between them like at beat 48 but they are still double-steps in my book and could have been corrected, steps overall aren't that exciting.
02 / 10 - Standard Terrible chart, lots of double-stepping and ambiguous arrows (I mean a LR jump followed by an Up or Down that if you use the right foot then you mess up the next steps half the time, you should have used a freeze arrow to force the correct foot or a less ambiguous arrow such as L or R) and some of the 1/4 arrows felt like they should have been 1/8 to go with the music better.
04 / 05 - Presentation Who couldn't LOVE those graphics, not me. 194.001 really? Was 194.000 just a tad off, if YES then fix your OFFSET not the BPM. Copied From-Copied From, at least remove those tags.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt None, I wanted a tougher chart for this song.

L'avide 23 / 25
10 / 10 - Heavy A double-spin at the beginning that flows into a great chart, no points removed that was a well executed spin that players who have a tendency to double-step would miss out on but I appreciated it, steps like those are the reason I so adamantly oppose double-stepping in preferrance for intentional stepping, yes the arrows do guide every step and I don't have an issue with that at all.
10 / 10 - Standard Two full spins, they probably should have been in the harder chart but I'm just grading on proficiency and these steps were perfect (spins and all).
02 / 05 - Presentation Graphics leave much to be desired, the texts are to plain, seems like an unedited image found on the web, no SongTitle in the BG image two points for meeting requirements and a good sample/cut etc.
01 / ± 01 - Tilt No wonder I loved the song, it's Zetbach, great DDR music IMHO.

Mr. Saxobeat 10 / 25
00 / 10 - Challenge ALL of those 192nd arrows (or whatever they were) need to be changed to 24ths and there are MANY of them, the ones at beat 222 need to be 16ths, there are many double-steps and the patterns used are highly repetitive. Sorry for such a low score but there are just so many technical issues here, I do appreciate how you so closely tried to follow the music and make the steps fairly difficult for the song.
06 / 10 - Heavy I counted 4 double-steps and there may be more, I did not enjoy this chart it was to random, some patterns were just tossed around here and there, there's one section with a long freeze and you hit arrows then the very next part you just hit arrows without the freeze, the whole chart seems rushed. Some areas where I would have had steps but there were none, it was both to easy for Hard with some really dull sections and to random with complex rhythms even though the song is pretty consistent, but I'm only removing the 4 points for double-steps.
04 / 05 - Presentation I like it all of it well the sample cuts off abruptly that's it.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt I know you put alot of effort into this file but it just didn't jive with me, I really do like the song however even if it's just 127bpm pop.

The Call Disconnected 23 / 25
08 / 10 - Heavy 2 doublesteps otherwise pretty simple straightforward chart.
10 / 10 - Standard 10 this is a great Standard chart nice and jumpy.
04 / 05 - Presentation I didn't feel that slow-down into NOTHING at beat 196.5, other than that I liked the gimmikcs you used with the freeze identifiers, images are bright and the text is difficult to make out looks like the Bg is a concert that exploded.
01 / ± 01 - Tilt Amazing song-choice!!!!!! Just needs a CHALLENGE chart.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Juub005 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Approval vote:

3y3s
Posting Member