ITG 1-3 Judging Thread

ITG 1-3 Judging Thread

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:48 am

ITG Bracket 1-3 Judging Thread
- The scoring from this thread will determine which 3 songs move on to the next round.
- This thread will be locked sometime on Friday morning/afternoon so scores can be tallied to go with the release of Bracket 2. Get your reviews in before Friday.
- You must pick 1 review method, you can't mix them.
- The entire bracket must be reviewed.
- The list of songs in this bracket are below for reference:

Code: Select all
ANTI THE∞HOLiC - Excel
Hammerhead - #Infinity
iNSaNiTY - Jezendar
Major Demon - rikame
Omega Gangster - k//eternal
The Lost Portrait - Dark Luke

Thanks to Lisek (and will-i-am for ITG fixes), here are easy to use scoring templates

Option 1 - Complete Review
[b][b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 25
[color=#0000FF]__ / 10 - Expert[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 10 - Secondary Chart[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / +/- 01 - Tilt[/color]

Template Song 24 / 25
08 / 10 - Expert
Great fun chart but lacks something. It needs more 1/16th jackhammers.
10 / 10 - Secondary Chart
It's great, nothing to add.
05 / 05 - Presentation
The background is dazzling so much that I lost my eye-sight.
01 / 01 - Tilt
Nice video but I understand that some people may not like it.

Option 2 - Partial Review
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 15
[color=#0000FF]__ / 10 - Expert[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 01 - Tilt[/color]

example:
Bad Song 08 / 15
06 / 10 - Expert
Could be better. I thought that this was pad competition thought.
02 / 05 - Presentation
The background is ugly. Comic Sans is so 90's.
00 / 01 - Tilt
No tilt. Leave me alone.

Option 3 - Approval Vote
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b]

example:
Blue Sad Song
I cried. I cried a lot. It's nice.

Option 1: Complete Review (25 points/song)
- Heavy (10), secondary chart (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 2: Partial Review (15 points/song)
- Heavy (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 3: Approval Vote (5 points/song)
- Typical approval vote style; vote for as many songs as desired, each vote awards equal points (5)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: ITG 1-3 Judging Thread

by Braeden47 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 pm

ANTI THE∞HOLiC 12 / 15
08 / 10 - Expert
I liked the use of 16ths and 12th following the voice. I'm not sure about the 48th notes in the slowdown. Some of the plain 8th note sections were boring. The difficulty matches the song well. The use of jumps was good in general.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics seem a little grainy, but that may be the style. Full difficulties too.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Nothing special.

Hammerhead 15 / 15
09 / 10 - Expert
Liked the use of jumps and the alternation of jumps and gallops. There were streams were there were streams in the music and it followed a variety of things in the music like an ITG chart should. The only things I didn't care for were the mine section and the crossovers at the end.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics are good and capture the energy of the song. Also, full difficulties.
01 / 01 - Tilt
I enjoyed the song and chart.

Insanity 07 / 15
04 / 10 - Heavy
Boring for an ITG chart. There were a few 16th patterns that you did not follow. Felt more like a 7 footer, and like a generic DDR chart with mines thrown in. It would be an OK heavy chart in DDR without the mines. The hand at the end would be difficult on the pad.
03 / 05 - Presentation
Where's the Expert chart? This is ITG! Graphics were OK but not up to par with some of the other entries.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Wasn't hard enough for ITG.

Major Demon 13 / 15
08 / 10 - Expert
Good ITG chart, but seemed a little long - I prefer under 2:30 if possible. I liked the variety of rhythms used, although it seemed that some were slightly off. Liked the used of rolls except for the 16th notes and rolls alternating.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Typical anime graphics. Not bad. Font is strange, Full difficulties also.
01 / 01 - Tilt
Enjoyed the song and chart.

Omega Gangster 04 / 15
00 / 10 - Expert
This is an example of how some people go overboard with boss songs. Everything up to the first speed up wasn't bad. Once the speedup hits, you have incorrect rhythms, some random double taps, and a few steps to nothing. The jumps on the 8th notes were interesting but with too many mines and followed by an incorrect note after. Then there's the 560(?) BPM speed ups. You should have just put 16th notes in the 280 section. Then, mines everywhere with double stepping 8th notes and some 8th streams at 560! I'd like to see someone pass this on pad. It's hard enough on KB. Take it easy on the mines and >400 BPM speedups.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Unlike the chart, the graphics were good. The text looked "gangster.", although a little hard to read. There was no extra difficulties except an empty edit chart.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Bad chart.

Harmony of despair 08 / 15
03 / 10 - Expert
You went a little overboard on hands. Some of these hands would require you to bend backward to hit them. Some of the mines are too hard to avoid when doing hands. You missed some rhythms during the hands. This would have been better as an easier chart with not as many hands.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics were good. Full difficulties.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Last edited by Braeden47 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:49 pm

approval votes:

ANTI THE∞HOLiC
Hammerhead
Major Demon
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:36 am

Braeden47 wrote:Review

I count a total score of 15 for Hammerhead and 7 for Insanity, rather than 14 and 8.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Telperion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:50 pm

ANTI THE∞HOLiC 22.5 / 25
9.5 / 10 - Hardest Chart
This is what I think of when I hear "ITG chart": not full of mines or hands, but relatively fearless in following the rhythms in the music without sacrificing patterning. I wouldn't say it's a groundbreaking chart, but it's very solid, and a good deal of care shows in the balance of the 16th streams with breaks and natural flow. I'd say it's more of a 12 than an 11 ;)
8.0 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
Also quite decent, but a bunch of the patterns come directly from the SX and it feels cheap as a result.
5.0 / 05 - Presentation
Great graphics (although the banner develops a strange effect when it's scaled down in a theme).
0.0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

Hammerhead 23.0 / 25
9.0 / 10 - Hardest Chart
A bit jumpy, but overall looks very fun. I especially like your use of eighths in the chorus - it gives the chart more urgency without increasing the difficulty. The mines could stand to be more orderly, although the tread-lightly effect does carry through as it is.
9.0 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
Also very good. I don't really like the jacks in the post-chorus; cutting out a few of the steps would work just as well.
5.0 / 05 - Presentation
Fantastic graphics! Sync wanders a bit but is generally on.
0.0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

iNSaNiTY 14.0 / 25
3.0 / 10 - Hardest Chart
Would have made a better second-hardest chart, for sure. Doesn't feel at all like an ITG chart (yeah I know, there's a couple mines and a couple hands, you still aren't convincing me) Not using the same step elements (jumps, mines, freezes) for that repeating section in the verse/bridge bugged the hell out of me, and in general the chart feels disorganized.
7.0 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
Would have made a better third-hardest chart, for sure. I preferred this heavily to the Hard chart even though it was easier.
4.0 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics are pretty basic. Sync is a bit off - is that a MixMeister BPM value?
0.0 / +/- 01 - Tilt
This song is basically the best case for legalizing Vocaloid abortion. I nearly didn't vote on this bracket because it meant I had to play this song.

Major Demon 23.0 / 25
9.5 / 10 - Hardest Chart
Very well put together. Faithfully following the lead guitar and repeating the x-xx-xxxx placement patterns made the chart memorable. It's not my cup of tea, but it's quality.
8.5 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
Not as solid as the SX but still solid. A good stamina trainer for a 10-block player.
5.0 / 05 - Presentation
Decent graphics, but the text and the backdrop feel mismatched.
0.0 / +/- 01 - Tilt

Omega Gangster 14.0 / 25
2.0 / 10 - Hardest Chart
7.5 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
OK, that was a lot more reasonable. Reminds me a lot of Pandemonium with your choice of patterns in the 284 BPM parts. A couple jump-to-step ambiguities.
4.0 / 05 - Presentation
OK graphics, good sync. Whydja leave the autogen charts in there? That D15 made me very sad :/
+0.5 / +/- 01 - Tilt
While I think the song itself deserved that Expert chart, it was still pretty unplayable.

The Lost Portrait 15.5 / 25
4.0 / 10 - Hardest Chart
Well then. That was an interesting idea, but the hands couldn't stop being mad awkward and the 16th streams were always too sudden and I really didn't get how most of it fit well with the music.
6.0 / 10 - Second Hardest Chart
A lot easier to understand and far more sensible, but still felt forced.
5.0 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics are nice - the text could use a few effects to create more coherency with the backdrop. Sync is very on, props for that.
+0.5 / +/- 01 - Tilt
An extra smidge for the sync. The song is lovely, by the way - I just don't think I'd ever have expected to see charts for it x_x

In summary:
Hammerhead 23.0 / 25
Major Demon 23.0 / 25
ANTI THE∞HOLiC 22.5 / 25
The Lost Portrait 15.5 / 25
iNSaNiTY 14.0 / 25
Omega Gangster 14.0 / 25
Image Image
Posting Member

by Lisek » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm

ANTI THE∞HOLiC 20.5 / 25
08 / 10 - Expert
It's 12. First part was meh, overly karaoke and lot of flow breaks. Second picked it up.
09 / 10 - Secondary Chart
Really similiar to expert. But that's not bad thing in this case - it's good training material before the true thing. First part of song was much better.
3.5 / 05 - Presentation
Background is pretty. Artist on banner is not readable. Great song quality and ok preview.
00 / 01 - Tilt
It's ok.

Hammerhead 25 / 25
10 / 10 - Expert
Perfect.
9.5 / 10 - Secondary Chart
There has been one jump that I didn't quite liked it didn't fit with rest. Also it is a little too hard for 8.
05 / 05 - Presentation
That's what I call great graphics.
0.5 / 01 - Tilt
There has been some sync issues in this file, but I'm not going to lower points. I understand how hard that song was to sync. Brave song selection.

iNSaNiTY 03 / 25
01 / 10 - Hard
That is not ITG chart. Doublesteps. A lot of omitted sounds.
03 / 10 - Secondary Chart
Much better than hard but still lacks a lot. Weird constructions for 6. Ankward step placement.
00 / 05 - Presentation
Just no.
-01 / 01 - Tilt
For usage of ponies when not needed. For bad artist/subtitle tags. For low quality mp3.

Major Demon 22.5 / 25
10 / 10 - Expert
No objections here.
Some of the patterns got boring. This chart would be better shorter.
3.5 / 05 - Presentation
Ok song quality, good preview. Graphics aren't too special but ok.
00 / 01 - Tilt
Did I heard right, it contains some melody from Uchū Senkan Yamato? Could be a little shorter.

Omega Gangster 05 / 25
00 / 10 - Expert
Keyboard file.
02 / 10 - Secondary Chart
It is hard and boring. Not a lot of step variety. BPM speedups make the chart unreadable. It is kinda like Vertex... but no one said that Vertex was a good file in ITG...
04 / 05 - Presentation
Good song quality, pretty nicely done graphics.
-01 / 01 - Tilt
Such fun song, such potential wasted...

The Lost Portrait 21.5 / 25
08 / 10 - Expert
Very brave and original chart. Still. Some of the hands were not needed. Even so it is fun.
Even better than expert chart. I think you pulled it out here. It's not ideal but interesting nevertheless.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Really good graphics.
0.5 / 01 - Tilt
Really brave steps and song choice.

[25] Hammerhead
[22.5] Major Demon
[21.5] The Lost Portrait
[20.5] ANTI THE∞HOLiC
[05] Omega Gangster
[03] iNSaNiTY
Posting Member

by rikame » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Lisek wrote:Did I heard right, it contains some melody from Uchū Senkan Yamato? Could be a little shorter.

It does. It's an arrangement of a Sorcerian song but for some reason beyond me (I know nothing about this stuff) S.S.H combined Sorcerean with Uchū Senkan Yamato in both this song and another song called Space Battleship Sorcerian Z
Posting Member

by Spork! » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Approval vote:
(I'll do full reviews of everything in both brackets that survive the first round)

Hammerhead - #Infinity
Major Demon - rikame
Posting Member

by Nusa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 am

Approval vote:

HAMMERHEAD
The Lost Portait
Posting Member

by Aki » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 am

Approval Votes:

Hammerhead
Major Demon
ANTI THE∞HOLiC

Though props to Lost Painting, the original from SOTN is my relaxation BGM
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 pm

ANTI THE∞HOLiC I love trying to say this title and while I don't like the song, your steps are marvelous and I appreciate that you made an ITG chart without mines. This is a very enjoyable simfile.

HAMMERHEAD My favorite of the ITG simfiles, it does everything right.

Major Demon Seems like a quality ITG simfile, I'm not sure about some of the rolls but I'm willing to give it a shot, overall it's nicely done.

Omega Gangster Yes I do hate everything about this simfile other than the song, but props for everything else. Beat Beat Nigga 4 LIEF 1000 skank bitch!!! I would pad try it but I fear the dreaded 187. Best DDR movie hands down.

//--------------------Some comments on the other files------------------

iNSaNiTY - Bad cut, under-stepped (you can't just throw mines around and think it's an ITG file), bad patterns that caused spinning. I also didn't like the song choice personally. If I offered any advice it would be to work on better graphics (ponies in the graphics for no reason != good) and player positioning. Stay away from ITG charts until you master the basics.

The Lost Portrait - Loosely synched and extremely over-stepped. I do like the song choice so much but I do not at all enjoy this simfile.
Posting Member

by Valex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 am

Anti the Infinity Holic 21 / 25
9 / 10 - Expert
Hey, this was pretty alright! There were a few missed rhythms in the breakbeat part, and I didn't like the bracket stomp, but overall this looks pretty fun; I'd gladly pad it if I liked the song (I don't)
8 / 10 - Secondary Chart
Parts of this were really similar to the Expert; I wish you had been more independent with this. Pretty cute tho.
4 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics are kind of weak; the artist is kind of hard to read in the banner, and overall it's not that appealing to look at. Full charts are cool though.
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt
This was pretty cool; nice job. Too bad the song sucks, otherwise I'd have this carded probably :P

Hammerhead 22.5 / 25
7.5 / 10 - Expert
Interesting stuff. Tbh this didn't feel very ITG; it felt more like a DDR file that happened to be a 10 and also had mines in one section; it was a lot more loose with the rhythms and patterning than most ITG files. I think this actually might have worked out, since following the rhythms exactly would have made it repetitive. Some parts seemed like they'd be a bit awkward on pad though, and the mine section was really unnecessary.
10 / 10 - Secondary Chart
This was pretty awesome, no complaints.
5 / 05 - Presentation
Good across the board.
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt
I really like this song, and the Expert chart was a bit different than I would've liked it, though it might grow on me more over time. Nice job though.

iNSaNiTY 14 / 25
3 / 10 - Expert
This wasn't really interesting tbh; the endless 8th notes didn't really do anything to capture me, and the mine usage was completely random and totally unnecessary. It seems like a DDR song that you just added mines to to have an ITG entry. The song doesn't offer that much, but it has enough rhythms to make an OK 9 or something; I don't know why you took this approach.
8 / 10 - Secondary Chart
Uh this was OK I guess? I'm bad at rating 6s, haha. I wasn't ~captivated~ by it, but I didn't see anything really wrong.
4 / 05 - Presentation
I like that you went through the effort to draw your own picture, so I'm giving you a 4 in Presentation for that and the full set of charts. HOWEVER, the text is rather lazy-looking, the background is literally just straight blue, and the art suffers from "brony syndrome" aka LET'S SHOVE PONIES INTO EVERYTHING WHETHER IT FITS OR NOT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS CHILDREN'S SHOWS
-1 / +/- 01 - Tilt
ponies
Also get rid of the mines and bring this to the DDR bracket, you would've been much better off

Major Demon 18 / 25
7.5 / 10 - Expert
A lot of this seemed really really understepped; the soloing at the ending should have had a lot more steps, there were a few parts that should have had more jumps instead of single steps, and I think the first time the sample music part is heard you missed a lot of rhythms. It also felt repetitive, due to the fact that it's just repeating the same few things over and over until the solo at the end. Nothing really -wrong- with it though, and definitely playable on pad.
7.5 / 10 - Secondary Chart
lol 666 steps. This was OK I guess, though a bit too much 8th streaming (not that 8th streaming is so bad, but with a song like this I'd like to be a bit more active) Also this is a 9 (didn't take off points for that though)
3 / 05 - Presentation
Ew, default bubble pattern? Come on rikame, you can do better than that graphically. Background image didn't really work either; really busy and distracting, and why was it anime?
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt
Pretty good, I guess. Would have liked to see more done with it though.

Omega Gangster 8 / 25
1 / 10 - Expert
HOW'S A NIGGA SUPPOSED TO GET HIS SHIT STRAIGHT WITHOUT ANY DUCKS?
5 / 10 - Secondary Chart
I guess it's playable on pad but I probably wouldn't
2 / 05 - Presentation
Nice skeleton pause not. Seriously though, why this ran at anything but 139 BPM is beyond me. Graphics are good, but that skeleton made me really angry haha
0 / +/- 01 - Tilt
Did you know? In the two scenes which depict characters vomiting, the actors weren't faking their puke. The actors voluntarily chugged a disgusting mixture of cold clam chowder, chocolate milk and beer and then did jumping jacks so they were able to vomit for real on camera. (source; IMDb)

The Lost Portrait 9.5 / 25
2 / 10 - Expert
It's a Queen of Light wannabe chart in the year 2012. Unnecessary and annoying.
3 / 10 - Secondary Chart
See above. Also the freeze 8ths in the beginning had really weird flow, and what was with that jumpy part?
4.5 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics are alright, but not amazing. Nice job nailing the subtle BPM changes in the skeleton though.
1 / +/- 01 - Tilt
Gave you the 1 point of tilt cause this deserves to be farther away than Omega Gangster, haha. Tbh this was sort of doomed from the moment you chose to recreate Queen of Light. Song choice was kind of meh also; it doesn't really offer a lot, though I'd probably meditate to it or something.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Approval vote:

Anti the Infinity Holic
Again, the only one in this bracket I like.
Posting Member