DDR 1-1 Judging Thread

Re: DDR 1-1 Judging Thread

by Valex » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:03 pm

aurae wrote:Another minor nitpicky thing is how you use the japanese character representation of the artist in the song wheel, yet the banner doesn't have those. I'd have prefered "HIDEKI NAGANUMA" in the song wheel.

The .sm has Hideki Naganuma as the artist, in English, and no Artisttranslit or anything. I think some versions of Stepmania auto-translate it, that's why it's in Japanese for you
Posting Member

by Zounder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm

aurae wrote:but I didn't really like the number of spins in this chart

They aren't spins. Double step them, they're a quarter note apart. It's fun.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Teknopathetic
Really fun stuff.

Tweet Tweet
DJ Mass MAD Izm* is trending. #banner #larrybird #doublesteps

Freeze
Now FREEEEZE! Like me.

Fascination Molly
Is that one of w1p3out's vids? MDMA with DDR? DDR is my MDMA. <333333333
Posting Member

by Telperion » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Approval vote! (Detailed feedback next round for the songs that get through)

Teknopathetic
Image Image
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 am

Zounder wrote:
aurae wrote:but I didn't really like the number of spins in this chart

They aren't spins. Double step them, they're a quarter note apart. It's fun.

Or don't double-step them, they're a quarter note apart spins. As a step-artist you can't expect everyone to double-step where you want them to especially if you use recognized spins. If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X do you double-step the whole song or do you get dizzy with it?
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 am

hellrazor wrote:Or don't double-step them, they're a quarter note apart spins. As a step-artist you can't expect everyone to double-step where you want them to especially if you use recognized spins. If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X do you double-step the whole song or do you get dizzy with it?

that's one of the really few charts in DDR X that i like

but yeah in short if you don't like them as spins don't do them as spins. if you do, go for it
Image Image
Posting Member

by Telperion » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

hellrazor wrote:If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X

Now hold on just a hot minute there
Image Image
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 am

k//eternal wrote:
hellrazor wrote:If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X

that's one of the really few charts in DDR X that i like

I think that's because it's actually from EXTREME 2.

Ahhhh, EXTREME 2... Good times, good times.
Last edited by will-i-am on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am

will-i-am wrote:
k//eternal wrote:that's one of the really few charts in DDR X that i like

ohhh, right. poor DDR X
Image Image
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am

k//eternal wrote:
will-i-am wrote:
k//eternal wrote:that's one of the really few charts in DDR X that i like

ohhh, right. poor DDR X

LOL, my bad.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am

hellrazor wrote:Or don't double-step them, they're a quarter note apart spins.

They're not spins, because they leave you facing backwards if you try to spin them, as you pointed out yourself. We've had this conversation.

As a step-artist you can't expect everyone to double-step where you want them to especially if you use recognized spins.

I absolutely can. You seem to be the only person (maybe Aurae too, but in his case it was just this one file as opposed to the entire contest's worth) who has trouble distinguishing spins and double steps. Again, we've had this conversation. It's probably because you are playing the files at 500 BPM. I suggest playing the files at their intended BPM.

If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X do you double-step the whole song or do you get dizzy with it?

Those are actual spins. I don't see how that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Anyway, it boils down to this: It's your preference to attempt to spin non-spins, and no one is trying to stop you from doing that. You're free to play however you like. But try to understand that the vast, vast majority of people here do not share that same preference. And again, I'm not talking about actual spins.

I'm done with this conversation, by the way. I'm tired of repeating myself. It is what it is.

(Edited to fix the messed up quoting tags)
Last edited by Zounder on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 am

Also, don't click on that link ya'll quoted. It's a misrepresentation of the best DDR US home gave ever!! Stupid edits cluttering YT...

Click here instead for epic spinnage. Or here for some sugar.
Posting Member

by Valex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 am

SPOILERS: Teknopathetic was intended to have doublesteps, not spins
Posting Member

by Excel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Approval Vote! It was a tough decision because I ended up liking all stepfiles...

Disco the Ground
Fascination eXtasy
Teknopathic
Tweet Tweet
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:38 pm

Zounder wrote:
hellrazor wrote:Or don't double-step them, they're a quarter note apart spins.

They're not spins, because they leave you facing backwards if you try to spin them, as you pointed out yourself. We've had this conversation.

As a step-artist you can't expect everyone to double-step where you want them to especially if you use recognized spins.

I absolutely can. You seem to be the only person (maybe Aurae too, but in his case it was just this one file as opposed to the entire contest's worth) who has trouble distinguishing spins and double steps. Again, we've had this conversation. It's probably because you are playing the files at 500 BPM. I suggest playing the files at their intended BPM.

If you play "Spin Spin Sugar" from DDR X do you double-step the whole song or do you get dizzy with it?

Those are actual spins. I don't see how that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Anyway, it boils down to this: It's your preference to attempt to spin non-spins, and no one is trying to stop you from doing that. You're free to play however you like. But try to understand that the vast, vast majority of people here do not share that same preference. And again, I'm not talking about actual spins.

I'm done with this conversation, by the way. I'm tired of repeating myself. It is what it is.

(Edited to fix the messed up quoting tags)

Zounder, you're really bugging me. I can play however I want, whether it's C150 or C800, it doesn't make a difference. If there's a long section of 48624862486248624862 that is intended to be DOUBLE-STEPPED because the last step leaves you backwards well how slow does the BPM need to be to know that (C50?) and how many arrows ahead does someone need to look to figure it out? This is a BEST-MIX contest, not a medicore-mix or a subpar-mix, anticipate someone will actually pad-play your file (in this case two people did) and will not want to double-step the spins. Give them a means to be forward after the spins, does it take much more work? NO, it does NOT. Then someone who wants to double-step can do it all day long and someone who wants to spin can do it as well and both will enjoy. You don't tell me how I play the game, if I C500 a 40-song workout course, I DO NOT want to memorize anything, I don't want to have to think that if it's Song A, Chart B, Section C that I need to double-step when I have 7,000 songs and 30,000 charts, you should instead put flow into your charts. Do you think a single person would have complained for LACK OF double-stepping? Can you show me a single review where anyone complained for LACK of double-stepping??? And to be perfectly honest I haven't pad-tested any of these files yet, I've only keyboard played them at 1.5x speed so I can feel all the BPM changes and STOPS and my natural reaction even at 1.5x is to SPIN.

And what NERVE you have to respond to my honest review by attacking me. I took the time to review your file and charts and I pointed out the problems I saw. Your response should have been along the lines of, "thank you for taking the time to review my file, I had not anticipated someone performing the turns, I'll consider different play-styles in my future simfiles". If you went to a restaurant and asked for a Caesar Salad hold the cheese and the waiter told you that ten people ordered a Caesar Salad and all of them liked the cheese, you are WRONG for not liking cheese, you would be pissed. Instead you expect them to do the best they can and cater to your tastes and hold the cheese even if 10 others all enjoyed it with cheese, then all 11 people enjoyed their meal and the restaurant gets a good review from everyone. You DO NOT attack the reviewer and tell them they have been playing the game WRONG all along. Thank you for linking to the original simfile, it has a much better chart than yours and doesn't require any double-stepping (and somehow you also enjoyed it). I didn't want to cause drama or take this personally but you've really annoyed me. Grow a pair and learn how to accept criticism, not everyone will think your shit smells like flowers, and maybe next time you'll actually consider someone besides yourself playing your simfile a different way and place your steps accordingly.
Last edited by hellrazor on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

PreviousNext