DDR 1-1 Judging Thread

DDR 1-1 Judging Thread

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 am

DDR Bracket 1-1 Judging Thread
- The scoring from this thread will determine which 3 songs move on to the next round.
- This thread will be locked sometime on Friday morning/afternoon so scores can be tallied to go with the release of Bracket 2. Get your reviews in before Friday.
- You must pick 1 review method, you can't mix them.
- The entire bracket must be reviewed.
- The list of songs in this bracket are below for reference:

Code: Select all
Disco the Ground - hooky
Fascination eXtasy - Spork!
Freeze - Juub005
Sumire September Love (feat.IZAM) - tsugaru7reveng
Teknopathetic - Valex
Tweet Tweet - Akira

Thanks to Lisek, here are easy to use scoring templates

Option 1 - Complete Review
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 25
[color=#008040]__ / 10 - Heavy[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 10 - Secondary Chart[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / +/- 01 - Tilt[/color]

example:
Template Song 24 / 25
08 / 10 - Heavy
Great fun chart but lacks something. It needs more 1/16th jackhammers.
10 / 10 - Secondary Chart
It's great, nothing to add.
05 / 05 - Presentation
The background is dazzling so much that I lost my eye-sight.
01 / 01 - Tilt
Nice video but I understand that some people may not like it.

Option 2 - Partial Review
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b] __ / 15
[color=#008040]__ / 10 - Heavy[/color]
[color=#BF8040]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 01 - Tilt[/color]

example:
Bad Song 08 / 15
06 / 10 - Heavy
Could be better. I thought that this was pad competition thought.
02 / 05 - Presentation
The background is ugly. Comic Sans is so 90's.
00 / 01 - Tilt
No tilt. Leave me alone.

Option 3 - Approval Vote
[b][size=150]Song Title[/size][/b]

example:
Blue Sad Song
I cried. I cried a lot. It's nice.

Option 1: Complete Review (25 points/song)
- Heavy (10), secondary chart (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 2: Partial Review (15 points/song)
- Heavy (10), presentation (5), and tilt (±1)
Option 3: Approval Vote (5 points/song)
- Typical approval vote style; vote for as many songs as desired, each vote awards equal points (5)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR 1-1 Judging Thread

by Zounder » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:47 am

A couple notes:
-I'm pretty easy-going in reviewing presentation.
-I think of 5/10 as an average chart, with everything higher being better than average, everything below as lower than average. This system helps counterbalance the fact that most scores are going to be giving at the very least 4/5 in presentation and allows for more variation in my scores.
-I consider tilt after everything else if I feel the current score doesn't reflect my actual enjoyment of the file.

Disco the ground 8.5 / 15
4 / 10 - Heavy
-1 2 3 4 5 6 Move it! The rhythm of the steps is great. But what really ruined my enjoyment of this file is the incredibly boring step placement. How come there are so many step patterns that only involve two arrows? It leads to a massive lack of movement and leads to facing the same way on the pad for long periods of time. I'd almost rather there be double steps everywhere then step placement that allows for so little movement. Additionally, the step-jump 16th note pattern at the very end is pretty hard for any chart, let alone an 8 footer. Ultimately, this file is redeemed by having a really fun rhythm in its steps, but otherwise I couldn't get into it.
4.5 / 5 - Presentation
-The white text is a bit hard to read, otherwise everything is fine.
0 / 1 - Tilt

Fascination eXtasy 10 / 15
5 / 10 - Heavy
-So after the reading the readme, it wasn't clear if the original Fascnation song (songs?) has these BPM gimmicks, but I don't like them at all. That includes the stops and the doubling. It's a shame because I can tell the simfile is professionally done. At least from what I can tell in the readme, you didn't expect this to do so well. Otherwise, the steps felt pretty solid. I liked gallops especially. But those gimmicks make me sad. For what it is, it's pretty well done, but overall it's not for me.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-I can see these are based off the original graphics, and they look nice.
0 / 1 - Tilt

Freeze 12.5 / 15
(I commented about this in the B1 discussion thread as well)
7 / 10 - Heavy
-There's such great variety in the steps here, despite the fact that the song keeps the same feel throughout, so interest is kept throughout the playthrough. But a side effect of the variety is that some parts feel like there's simply too much going on-- I think some of this chart could have been simpler step-wise. An example would be right after the first "freeze!" But speaking of those freezes, those were awesome. Overall, this was a great song choice and the steps reflected the fun, upbeat nature of the song pretty nicely, and was enjoyable.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-Love the banner especially. Great video too.
0.5 / 1 - Tilt
-There was enough of a fun factor that I felt the score was slightly lower than it should be, so I'll give it a slight bump here.

Sumire September Love (feat. IZAM) 11.5 / 15
6.5 / 10 - Heavy
-I have the same exact comments here that I have for Disco the ground, except less extreme. There's more movement here than in Disco, but it could still use more. The rhythms are fun though, I like the use of gallops. The song choice didn't do much for me in terms of my enjoyment of the chart, but it's not a big issue.
5 / 5 - Presentation
-Simple but effective.
0 / 1 - Tilt

Teknopathetic 13.5 / 15
9 / 10 - Heavy
Very nice! I REALLY liked the step pattern and rhythm used for the "o-oh, o-oh" parts. Overall, the rhythms used here are really fun. My only minor complaint is that there's one step pattern that gets repeated very often through the middle of this chart, and it's hard to tell at first because the rhythm is usually different, but the pattern remains the same. it's a bit hard to explain. But there's massive use of patterns in the style of DLUDRU, basically patterns that move you from the back of the pad to the front of the pad in a straight fashion. That kind of pattern showed up a bit too frequently for my liking and I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety. Otherwise, this was a great chart.
4.5 / 5 - Presentation
-The text color doesn't stand out much from the background color, but otherwise everything looks great.
0 / 1 - Tilt

Tweet Tweet 13 / 15
8 / 10 - Heavy
-Definitely an Akira stepchart! Also a very Akira song choice. Very solid, I liked the blend of streams and jumps. There's a couple places with seemingly random double steps, including one near that start that was dangerously close to a 16th note double step. I didn't really see the point in including those kinds of double steps in a chart like this. Everything else flowed pretty nicely, athough the song doesn't really change up at all, and the steps kind of stay the same throughout, but it isn't a huge issue. Overall, this is nicely done.
5 / 5 - Presentation
Banner and video are great.
0 / 1 - Tilt
Last edited by Zounder on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:56 pm

QUESTION: Whose job is it to make sure all the graphics follow the RULES per required dimensions ratios? If it's the judge's job will you advise which files are violating the rules and how many points to dock them? For instance in Trial of Phoneix and Omega Gangster both use .jpg images and Max 150 is a 256x105 ratio.

I rate charts based on how they flow with the music and are dance-able. So a perfect score means I thought it went well with the music and had no errors (not that I was amazed at the steps I am being entirely objective). I'll decrease the score if I hate gimmicks enough. For brevity I thought all the arrows went well with the music unless noted otherwise, if so then I only knocked off points for making me face away from the screen unless it's a full spin and I enjoyed doing it.

Disco The Ground 20 / 25
10 / 10 - Heavy Nice solid chart, some fun turns, good job of following proper step patterns.
07 / 10 - Standard Nice groovy medium chart, three awkward parts that caused me to double-step.
04 / 05 - Presentation Good job on using the video for everything. The banner looks like Disco The GroWnd, you should have used an over-lay or contrasted the TEXT.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt The singer is ANNOYING.

Fascination eXtasy 16 / 25 I'll spare you and skip the Challenge
04 / 10 - Heavy Clearly a throwback to DDR style boss songs, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, I don't like the use of spins here or gimmicks that just make me want to punch you.
07 / 10 - Standard Seems like you took this right out of the How To Make a Standard for a DDR boss song, a little bit easier but with some insanity here and there for good measure. It works well enough but I still hate the gimmicks.
05 / 05 - Presentation I like it, nice graphics and video.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt Brave song choice and even though I hate it, it's definitely DDR style but there is already a good Fascination song and simfile for Fascination MAXX (Callie & Juice's Maxxmimum Overload Mix).

Freeze 15 / 25
04 / 10 - Heavy Bad flow, I counted 6 sections that put my back to the TV and kept it there, pad test your files.
07 / 10 - Standard Other than 3 bad turns, it was a great standard chart.
03 / 05 - Presentation I really don't like the BG image, it has nothing to do with the song, you should have used part of the video, the song isn't about COLD it's about staying still, and it contrasts the video which is very cartoonist.
01 / ± 01 - Tilt For use of FREEZE arrows during the "FREEZE".

Sumire September Love 21 / 25
09 / 10 - Challenge One double-step beat 205 and 205.5 both use the Right foot.
09 / 10 - Heavy Beats 96 and 97 cause the player to turn away from the TV, bad positioning, otherwise this seems alot like the Challenge chart I just played but with fewer jumps.
04 / 05 - Presentation I don't like how the BGVideo jumps to BLACK when the steps stop but the song keeps playing. But I do like having the video and your graphics are good.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt I don't like the song, sorry.

Teknopathetic 13 / 25
04 / 10 - Heavy I counted 6 half-spins at all the Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh sections, shame because the original file had the same types of steps but better patterns that didn't cause players to turn backwards, I'm not sure why you changed it unless it's just to not STEAL so much from the source.
05 / 10 - Standard I counted 5 bad spins in this, it's as if the double-stepping was intentional because they followed different parts of the music than they did in Heavy.
05 / 05 - Presentation So you admit you made this based on an ITG simfile? Why didn't you include the original chart as an EDIT? I like your graphics and SampleStart better than the ITG version and I like the song.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt Because it's not all original work (basically you already knew it worked well in dance game world before you choose it = unfair).

Tweet Tweet 19 / 25
07 / 10 - Heavy 3 Sections spun me backwards, why do you do that to me what did I do to you?
07 / 10 - Standard Three here as well, although at least one was because I went from a JUMP to the UP arrow with my right foot, but that should be expected a LR jump into Up is most natural to do with the right foot, if you wanted a left leading foot you should have used a hold or something to force it.
05 / 05 - Presentation Cute and interesting song-choice, perfect artwork for the song and thanks for the video.
00 / ± 01 - Tilt It's good but not spectacular.
Last edited by hellrazor on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm

hellrazor wrote:QUESTION: Whose job is it to make sure all the graphics follow the RULES per required dimensions ratios? If it's the judge's job will you advise which files are violating the rules and how many points to dock them? For instance in Trial of Phoneix and Omega Gangster both use .jpg images and Max 150 is a 256x105 ratio.

Reviewers should not worry about checking for image dimensions. The image rules are mostly for compatibility and consistency between files. If you think the size of the file detracts from your enjoyment of the presentation, mark it down on the scoring appropriately for how much it mattered.

I will not be providing lists of which files had graphics that were off, even if they are "breaking the rules". The spirit of this competition is not to DQ or penalize for small things (like simfiles given extensions over the size limits) so don't nitpick the non-significant parts of the files and everyone will have a good time.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by k//eternal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:17 pm

approval vote:

Fascination eXtasy
Teknopathetic
Tweet Tweet
Image Image
Posting Member

by Telperion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 am

hellrazor wrote:02 / 05 - Presentation I don't like the song, I don't like how the BGVideo jumps to BLACK when the steps stop but the song keeps playing, and I don't like how the girl in the video sounds like a man. But you get I do like having the video and your graphics are good.
-01 / ± 01 - Tilt I don't like the song, did I just decrease this twice because of that, why YES I did.

OK, I gotta get this off my chest: song choice is not one of the simfile aspects that should be judged for points unless the song is objectively awful or unsteppable. Sumire September love doesn't fit that and, although yes that is the sort of thing you can reserve the Tilt category to express, docking points in the Presentation category as well is just double jeopardy and rather unfair.
Image Image
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am

Disco the Ground:

Standard – 7.5/10
For the most part, this is a pretty fun and solid set. It could be a little more interesting, though. Some sections are a little dull, as your placement gets a bit modest in certain parts. Also, it starts to drag a little later on, since the patterns during the standout phrases in the song aren’t distinguished very well. Overall though, not bad.

Heavy – 5.5/10
You made a chart with a lot of potential, as the rhythms you used are pretty spot-on throughout. The major problem I have here is your placement, particularly during the phrases with 16ths. During the chorus and intro, there’s way too little movement, not to mention you have the player facing the same direction the entire time. I can understand if you didn’t want to overdo the chart or something, but I can’t help but find hose sections dull and unbalanced. In measures 20 through 26, there’s a lot of experimentation with step-jumps and jackhammers, but it’s not executed very cleanly and feels very awkward. The verses are much better, but still not completely polished.

Presentation – 5/5
Nice video. Syncing and sound quality are both good. This song kind of reminds me of Oscillator X, mainly because of the vocalist.

Tilt – 0/1

Final Score: 18/25

Fascination eXtasy:

Heavy – 8/10
I had to play this on a c-mod to give it a fair evaluation; never been a fan of the chaos-style use of pauses, especially in boss charts. Overall, this is a pretty solid 10 footer, certainly easier than the original song on a general level, though the speed pauses can be tricky at first. Earlier on, I found your use of doublesteps a fair enough idea, but I do think you could’ve done with slightly fewer of them, because it causes the chart to lose a bit of direction and become slightly awkward. I understand that the awkwardness was probably part of the challenge you wanted in this, but I think you could’ve used the doublesteps a little more sparingly in order to fit the track more effectively.

Challenge – 8/10
This is an appropriate step up from Heavy, for the most part. The extra 16ths are all used effectively, and the final stretch is fittingly challenging. The two major nitpicks I have are some of the early step-jump transitions, which require some very awkward turning to make and stick out pretty oddly, as well as a slight excess of step-jumps during the piano phrase. The step-jumps are again a good idea to maintain this chart’s momentum, but since the music isn’t that intense during the phrase, I don’t think you needed to go as overboard as you did.

Presentation – 4.5/5
Eh, I’m a little unsure about the graphics. The filter you used for the backdrop image just looks tacky and amateurish to me, and the extasy text is a bit cheesy. Maybe you should’ve ditched the rainbow color scheme or at least used a different font – one that’s not so, honest to goodness, girly, because it doesn’t blend well with the rest of the image, nor with the song.

Tilt – 0/1

Final Score: 20.5/25

Freeze:

Standard – 9.5/10
You sure lived up to this track’s namesake here. What I love about this chart the most is definitely your variable and creative use of freeze. I honestly don’t have anything to complain about with this chart. Maybe it feels a tad overstepped, due to the very thin production, but it’s still quite enjoyable and creative all the way through.

Heavy – 9/10
The limitations caused by the song not having a very strong beat or baseline affect this chart a little more. Some sections, especially the second half of the verse, as well as the acapella phrase after the chorus, feel especially overstepped because their isn’t enough strength in the music to support their full-on patterning. The first half of the verse and the chorus are really fun, however. Overall, a bit odd due to the song choice, but still very creative and a lot of fun.

Presentation – 5/5
Great as always. I especially love the effects used on the ‘freeze’ text in the banner.

Tilt – 0.5/1
Even though I had to take off some points due to the effect of the song’s thin instrumentation, I’d most likely still find myself playing this a LOT because it’s so creative and interesting.

Final Score: 24/25

Sumire September Love (feat. Izam):

Heavy – 5.5/10
Unfortunately, while I am pretty impressed with the rhythmic factor here for the most part (it’s a little hard to hear the triplet 16ths you’re following during the chorus), some pretty mediocre placement kills this chart for me. You seem to have the player facing directly forward for almost the duration of the song, and it causes the steps to feel stagnant and lifeless. Although you do occasionally focus more on the up and down arrows, it’s usually only for a brief moment and not followed upon thoroughly enough that it fits. This would be a lot stronger if you had added a lot more movement across the entire pad and maybe a few more crossovers. As it is, I just don’t enjoy it very much, sadly.

Challenge – 7.75/10
Stronger overall. Your rhythmic accuracy is quite spot-on, and I find myself enjoying this as a whole. I still think your placement could be more effective and not face forward as much, but it’s not quite as serious a problem this time.

Presentation – 5/5
These graphics look suspiciously similar to something Super_Ray would put together. The video adds a nice touch.

Tilt – 0/1

Final Score: 18.25/25

Teknopathetic:

Standard – 8.5/10
You still have a bit of a habit of structuring your placement to move across the pad a little too much, sort of like a figure 8 motion, but the frequent use of crossovers are a nice way to break that pattern up a bit. This is still maybe a little redundant, but overall, pretty solid.

Heavy – 8/10
I still find the figure 8 pattern to be a bit excessive here, and I wish you had changed up the placement to be a little more conservative in areas to break up this chart’s redundancy. Still, the uses of crossovers and doublestep spins are quite fun. I don’t really like the last phrase though – the combination of wide crossovers with frequent gallops is sort of clunky, and I think should’ve been handled differently and more smoothly.

Presentation – 5/5
Nice graphics. Sync, sound quality, and everything else are a-okay.

Tilt – 0/1

Final Score: 21.5/25

Tweet Tweet:

Standard – 9.5/10
This is just what a drum ‘n bass stepchart should be – a perfect mix of syncopated 8ths, and some quirky, yet sparing experimentation during the verses. I absolutely loved this overall, although the earlier chorus phrases are a tad generic in my opinion.

Heavy – 9.5/10
Once again, this is a ton of fun and surprisingly creative for a fast-paced, mostly 8th-note based stepchart. Your placement is pretty fantastic from start to finish, and you do a pretty solid job of distinguishing each section so that the chart doesn’t become too repetitive. This is maybe not my favorite heavy chart in the whole competition, but so far, it’s pretty darn close.

Presentation – 5/5
D’argh, this song is sooo cheesy! Not that that has to do with this; I just HAD to get that out! Anyway, everything here is fine, no complaints.

Tilt – 0/1

Final Score: 24/25
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:15 pm

These are (mostly) based on one play. Also remember that my scores are generally lower than a lot of people's, but that will all scale out in the end :)

Disco the Ground 11 / 15
06 / 10 - Heavy
Rhythms were okay, but I've nominated these patterns for America's Next Great Running-in-Place Simulator. Use the pad! Also, you could have cut an entire verse - about 45s - and not lost a thing.
05 / 05 - Presentation
Due to complaints, files with solid art and good sound are now 5s.
(Two bonus charts, good graphics. Barebones readme.)
00 / 01 - Tilt

Fascination eXtasy 12 / 15
06 / 10 - Heavy
I have some mixed feelings about this song. First, I made the mistake of trying it on Standard first. This is, except for the end, harder than Heavy, since the missing notes just make it really hard to follow. At that point, I thought the memorization burden of this song was going to be ridiculous. Playing it a few times (an unfair advantage to you) on Heavy on keyboard, the gimmicks actually aren't too hard to follow. But it's still not all smiles and lollipops. Most of the first half of the song is fake difficulty - spins, awkward gallops, bizarre rhythms in the slowdown, and the like. And then, at the end, there's a sudden death run that's just not equaled by the rest of the chart. In the end, after a bunch of plays (again, unfair advantage), I actually want to like this - as a 9-foot chart with those parts smoothed out. As it is, it's somewhat fun on keyboard. But not so much as a real DDR chart. And even though it fits modern-day DDR boss songs, that's about when the series jumped the shark anyway.

One more tip: please don't use the random BPM. It just makes me want to rip your skull out.

05 / 05 - Presentation
(Lots of charts, good sound quality. Photoshop filter graphics. Good readme.)

01 / 01 - Tilt
Extra-compensating for my disagreement with the presentation score.
(Commence skull ripping. Also, dat standard.)

Freeze 10 / 15
05 / 10 - Heavy
This chart was just not very interesting. I get the feeling this song was chosen just to meta-step "Freeze".
05 / 05 - Presentation
(Besides the video, this is a pretty barebones file.)
00 / 01 - Tilt

Sumire September Love 13 / 15
07 / 10 - Heavy
A much better use of limited motion than Disco the Ground at the beginning. The song had some nice rhythms that you used well, but all in all, this song isn't stretching too far.
05 / 05 - Presentation
(Full set of Singles charts, decent graphics, and a video.)
01 / 01 - Tilt
Compensating for my disagreement with the presentation score.

Teknopathetic 14 / 15
8 / 10 - Heavy
The beginning taps are a bit forced - I'd have done without. The freezes in the early part didn't work for me, and neither did the rhythms at the end. The (somewhat) advanced crossover patterns at the end were good though. The slowdown worked well too - predictable going in and out.
05 / 05 - Presentation
(A few extra charts, and decent graphics, but not much else here.)
01 / 01 - Tilt
Spinning on the turntables, back to back.

Tweet Tweet 12 / 15
7 / 10 - Heavy
The lack of the breakdown here breaks my heart. It's the core of the song. There's some odd flow breaks, including the early sixteenth notes - those really hurt the song. The rhythms are very fun though.
05 / 05 - Presentation
(A nice video, and one extra chart. Obvious graphics are obvious.)
00 / 01 - Tilt
I'm balancing the awesome song with the complete lack of the awesome breakdown. Of course, I'll never finish or release my own WIP, so it's moot. :)
Last edited by jammitch! on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by DjJRun » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Disco the Ground 20.5 / 25
7.5 / 10 - Heavy
I enjoyed the variety of rhythms, but the steps were repetitive, especially during the chorus. It did sort of feel like it was going back and forth doing the same thing as it did earlier. One or two awkward jumps as well.
7.5 / 10 - Standard
This is a solid standard chart, but suffers from almost the exact same thing as heavy. Just too much back and forth, feeling like you're doing the same thing each time. A couple awkward jumps here too. But overall not bad!
05 / 05 - Presentation
A fun, bouncy song with a cool banner and bg.
+0.5 / 01 - Tilt
I greatly enjoyed your little "down down down…" joke : )

Fascination eXtasy 20.5 / 25
8.5 / 10 - Heavy
A good nod to the pre-existing Fascination stepcharts. I feel the stop-go gimmicks are actually enjoyable because they're easy enough to pick up on after a go or two. A tad repetitive though except for the gallops and final drive.
08 / 10 - Expert
Very similar to how I feel about the Heavy chart. And I know this one is supposed to be tougher, but I don't like how frequently you're set up "the wrong way" going into those really fast runs. But from the middle onward has some pretty crafty patterns in it.
04 / 05 - Presentation
Banner and background are good, and the rainbow-ness of the word ecstasy is funny. And while I'm glad you had video in general, it practically blinds me at the toughest part of the song. Headache-inducing.
00 / 01 - Tilt

freeze 15.5 / 25
05 / 10 - Heavy
I just feel this is a song with a weak rhythm track with nothing to follow well except vocals, accents and synth - and you did take advantage of those things well enough. Good variety of patterns, too. I just got bored. And the 1/16ths in the middle of the song followed something so subtle that it felt awkward to me.
06 / 10 - Standard
You did what you could with this. I actually felt this was a bit more solid than the heavy chart, mostly because a song this mellow feels weird when there's too much going on.
4.5 / 05 - Presentation
The banner is okay, but the background is kind of weak. Nice that you included video, and good thing so it gets rids of the background quickly. And while I appreciated picking a song with this title and using it to your advantage in the steps, it didn't have enough of a payoff for what I felt was a boring song.
00 / 01 - Tilt

Sumire September Love 15.5 / 25
05 / 10 - Heavy
Some interesting rhythms. Too much side-to-side, front-facing. The patterns just didn't change up a whole lot…it started to make the song feel longer than it actually is.
06 / 10 - Challenge
This too suffers from abundant front-facing and repetitive patterns. This one did have some more variety though.
4.5 / 05 - Presentation
The banner and background are rather uneventful. Yay for having video though.
00 / 01 - Tilt

Teknopathetic 23 / 25
9.5 / 10 - Heavy
Cool patterns - a lot of fun choices in how the notes play off the song. Just a little empty awkwardness in the middle. The half-time section was cute. I like how you chose to do some flow breaks during rhythm breaks…so it let you sort of hop back and forth. I can't explain it better than that, but the pattern choices were clever.
9.5 / 10 - Secondary Chart
Even though you need slightly easier patterns for a Standard chart, you kept it interesting. Good mixture of 8ths, jumps, freezes. Just enough of everything to keep the variety going. Was odd that the beginning was more eventful than on Heavy.
04 / 05 - Standard
Bg and background okay. But I guess it's text laid over a screenshot from something? Also, song is cut very suddenly at end. Is it supposed to do that?
00 / 01 - Tilt

Tweet Tweet 18.5 / 25
06 / 10 - Heavy
The steps are appropriate, but oh lordy the repetition. I know a lot of it is the song's fault, but even the patterns felt like the same thing over and over. It started to save itself around halfway through.
08 / 10 - Standard
I felt standard has a little less repetition. It focused on a couple different things. Some jumps, some freezes - helped drum up interest.
4.5 / 05 - Presentation
Generally speaking I kind of hate this song. Banner and bg are cute, but at the end of the day are just based on the Twitter logo. Video is amusing and annoying simultaneously. I just don't know how I feel anymore!
00 / 01 - Tilt
Posting Member

by Aki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:22 am

Guess what the song is about :v

Also, i'll try to squeeze in some time to get my revs in *flies away*
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by DjJRun » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 am

Guess what the song is about :v

I know, I know. But you could've manipulated the logo maybe to play at the humor of this, or do something more with the other text. The graphics aren't bad, just not a lot of creative effort there.

I had songs where I could've taken screenshots of video game footage or album art, but opted to try a different route. Not saying my graphics are better (I expect to be docked actually), just trying to explain my reasoning.
Posting Member

by Aki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Don't worry, I don't curse you to damnation for that. Working with minimal resources is tough shit, but it's still better than effortlessly putting text into a plain image xD

I really intended to draw a character to tell the story, but I don't want it to end up like chocolate disco, where I never had time to finish, but blah... no biggie
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Nusa » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 am

Approval vote:

Freeze
Tweet Tweet
Posting Member

by Greg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 am

Aprroval vote:
すみれSeptember Love
Teknopathetic
Posting Member

by aurae » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Approval votes:

Fascination eXtasy
Unlike some others, I liked the retro style of this file, including the gimmicks you put into this.

freeze
Aside from the cool gimmicks (hence the title), this is a very solid file with lots of swag. Loved the step patterns and usage of freeze arrows to alter the foot placement. :D Too bad there's no Light chart!

tweet tweet
This is easily the worst song in the bracket to me, but ironically it delivers some of the best steps! So much fun to dance around to this.

A word to the others:

Disco the ground: I kind of like the song (even though that "Disco" sample bugs the crap out of me), but I'm with Zounder on the step placement issue. It's a great file with cool rhythms, but I also had to notice the lack of movement.

Sumire September Love (feat.IZAM): I didn't really like the song the first time I heard the song preview, but once I got into actually playing the file, I can see why you chose it, it's quite danceable to be honest! However, I didn't enjoy the step placement during the two chorus sections too much... I got the idea behind them, but I didn't find the marimba to be the most outstanding instrument during the chorus, therefore strictly following only this instrument with the steps.

Teknopathetic: The overall style of this file is great, but I didn't really like the number of spins in this chart, as hellrazor already pointed out. Another minor nitpicky thing is how you use the japanese character representation of the artist in the song wheel, yet the banner doesn't have those. I'd have prefered "HIDEKI NAGANUMA" in the song wheel.
Posting Member

Next