Bracket 2 - Discussion

Re: Bracket 2 - Download & Discussion

by jammitch! » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:34 am

Akira wrote:HAHAHAHAHA OH WOW

Apologies for that banner... I made a DDR banner, read the rules right before submitting, went "Oh crap" and quickly redid it. I don't have an ITG theme, nor have I played ITG in at least four years, so I forgot about the curve.

I'm cleaning up both my other files since they didn't advance, and this one won't either, so I'll get it at that point.

(No apologies for the Challenge chart, although you'll want to replace it with the Edit chart after the first play.)
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Aki » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:02 am

Nah, but I laughed at how the ITG theme handled long titles... while DDR Extreme (3.9) squishes it all together, this one looped it and mirrored it, interesting.

Also, it's cool jammitch. I got a big splash coming in with my own :D
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:11 am

I've only played a couple of these entries, I'm glad judging won't be so cumbersome since I have entries in two of the categories so I can't judge them. I so wish I had entered "Ghost of Stephen Foster", I thought it was quite unique and amazing.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 am

Comments on DDR Bracket 2-4 since I can't score them, and it's quick because there's only four other entires:

apricot stone: My favorite of bracket 2 thus far. once the music picks up this chart is excellent all around. I like the buildup in the steps as the song builds up. My main issue: I know it's more of a personal thing and other people don't mind it as much, but I really don't like when there's a lot of steps with very little background music, like in the very start of this chart. I do imagine it would have been near impossible to not include that part of the chart, but it still bothered me a bit. But that's really the only thing going against this file for me, because otherwise it's incredibly fun, and I've already replayed it numerous times. Nicely done! (Also, boobs.)

MAX 300- I have very similar feeling for this file as I did MAX 150: The steps were fine, but I really couldn't get into it. I don't get the obsession with remixed MAX songs, they tend to be really boring for the most part for me. The original MAX songs had allure not because of their musical brilliance but because of their difficulty at the time. That being said, the steps are solid, but I just couldn't get into it.

Sweet Magic: Holy karaoke, batman! Solid step chart pattern-wise, but following the vocals the whole time got boring pretty quickly. Also, those slowdowns were very unnecessary. Could have been a lot worse, but there's some significant flaws here.

The Koto Chill: A very braeden file. Offsync, bland, but solid nonetheless. The song choice was interesting but it got pretty repetitive. I understand the need to follow that one percussion portion very heavily leading to all the 16th streams, but i felt that was overstepped a bit. I liked seeing a difficulty spike there, but I think it was too much, especially that 16th note step-jump. Mostly, I think this chart suffers from the repetitive nature of the song, but it's still pretty solid overall.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 am

I, for one, adore MAX 300. Good on ya, Oni! I think you're becoming much more consistent! :D And I'm not just saying that to disagree with you again, Zounder. ;) It's my favorite of the files I've played so far (around 6 or so) with Canonloid close behind. That one surprised me, and it's so damn cute!, but then again, it is a cpubasic13 file and that dude really knows how to handle STRREEEAAAMMMZZZ!!
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks :3 I hope you like the graphics, I almost annoyed my fiancé to make them, haha In case you were wondering they are based on the original Max 300 bg. I'd have LIKED to include a background video, but appearing on SVB, there really isn't one, and using the "18 spikes 18 pains" vids would just be predictable, and wouldn't look very good anyway considering how they're all 320x240.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 pm

I'm saddened that You Just Got Arabia'd's Expert chart is a joke. As a fan of breakcore like that, it had the chance of having a pretty hard chart that was good and challenging. Oh well.
Posting Member

by DjJRun » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Does everybody else see an Expert chart with only 42 steps for "Shine We Are!" in DDR B2-2? I wanted to see if that was a mistake and maybe the creator sent the wrong file or something.

I wouldn't worry about it much except the song only has one complete chart, otherwise.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah, it's not complete for me either.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 pm

The Readme wrote:if you're wondering why the challenge difficulty is so empty it's supposed to be freestyle-- the ddr mat cramped my style for the longest time; don't let the same happen to you.
embrace your inner choreographer and dance off the mat

Although why the concept couldn't have been applied to an easier difficulty is beyond me.
EDIT: To clarify, I don't mean "not Challenge because that isn't hard at all" but I mean putting the chart to an easier difficulty as part of the simfile anyway. Pump It Up did this for the longest time, and I've seen quite a few 4-panel charts on easier difficulties encourage various dances depending on the genre.
Posting Member

by Aki » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:45 pm

cpubasic13 wrote:I'm saddened that You Just Got Arabia'd's Expert chart is a joke. As a fan of breakcore like that, it had the chance of having a pretty hard chart that was good and challenging. Oh well.

Ahaha sorry, I'd revise that though. But still, I didn't expect that the rating system would be Expert>Hard instead of Hard>Medium

Nevertheless, you just got Arabia'd

EDIT: I just noticed how meta the lyrics are for "Please Play This Song..." Major props, jammitch!
Last edited by Aki on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Kewing » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:37 am

Bracket 2 seems to be as good if not slightly better than 1, overall.

I'm officially addicted to Ghost of Stephen Foster now; to the point I'm having a big urge to do an edit chart just to give a shot at it hahaha.
It's a shame that file doesn't seem to achieve perfection on both charts by just a bit: Heavy has a more consistent rhythm but feels a tad bit toned down and with not enough movement considering the length. Expert on the other hand is a lot more varied but feels a bit overdone (those 16ths should be more simple), and has more rhythms breaks (the slowdown part comes to mind). A chart combining the best both would be perfection in my book. Still a great file and extremely unique.
Why do you need SEGA Original Hedgehogs...?
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:50 am

jammitch! wrote:(No apologies for the Challenge chart, although you'll want to replace it with the Edit chart after the first play.)

It's actually a little sad that it turned into an I Hi Hi Mood faire at the very end of Expert, because Hard, as well as the rest of Expert, were both actually very fun, in my opinion. :(
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:04 am

#Infinity wrote:It's actually a little sad that it turned into an I Hi Hi Mood faire at the very end of Expert, because Hard, as well as the rest of Expert, were both actually very fun, in my opinion. :(

But... you can't play this song on Stepmania!

Seriously, the Edit is the Expert chart with a real ending. Swap them out for future enjoyment, and then rate the chart a LOLNO/10 as intended. :)
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Zounder » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 am

Kewing wrote:It's a shame that file doesn't seem to achieve perfection on both charts by just a bit: Heavy has a more consistent rhythm but feels a tad bit toned down and with not enough movement considering the length. Expert on the other hand is a lot more varied but feels a bit overdone (those 16ths should be more simple), and has more rhythms breaks (the slowdown part comes to mind). A chart combining the best both would be perfection in my book. Still a great file and extremely unique.

Word-for-word exactly how I feel. The simplicity of the heavy chart wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the length. Still really fun though!
Posting Member

PreviousNext