Bracket 1 - Discussion

Re: Bracket 1 - Download Link & Discussion

by will-i-am » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Haha. Spliced slam pig is just universally satisfying.

Seriously though, if nDDRo was back they'd be raving about SPARKS FLY. Mostly cuz of it's presentation, but that aside, it's GrrrrrrSWEEEEET!
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:00 pm

i've obviously already said my piece on sparks fly, but i just gotta say again how perfect that song is for DDR. the preview and banner are amazing, too. i'm really glad that the chart suits some people's tastes (even if not my own) just because it'd be such an immense waste otherwise.

(same with gangnam style, and i hope you didn't take too much offense, zounder.)
Image Image
Posting Member

by Aki » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Zounder wrote:most of the instances of you "facing backwards" on a pad is intentional double stepping on the author's part.
This. It's more like you don't play the steps, the steps play you.
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by y3v0n » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 am

sparks fly is one of the most steppable almighty covers since they ditched the "definitive" pseudonym [sad times for all, it's all offbeat vocals now]

personally my favourite file in the contest thus far is gangnam style, it's just got everything i ever wanted from a contest simfile; without even succumbing to CG anime girl graphics. although the guy looks vaguely like jujubee from drag race out of drag...
Posting Member

by Lisek » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:30 am

2 of my files got out of sync for no reason. I have no idea what caused that...

If possible please change:
Sound of Delight
#OFFSET:-0.640;
to
#OFFSET:-0.657415;

and

The Master ov Time
#OFFSET:-1.452;
to
#OFFSET:-1.47667;
Posting Member

by hajtos » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 am

Zounder wrote:Hyadain no Kakakata 11.5 / 15
8 / 10 - Heavy
-I enjoyed this quite a bit. I like the overall feel of the chart-- Simple 8th note streams with jumps, kind of like a slightly more difficult Love <3 Shine. I have a couple issues, though. First, and this really isn't a big thing, but I would have liked to have seen a BPM slowdown in the middle. I think it would have been appropriate and given you more of a varied feel to the chart, which allows me to segue into my second issue which is that the step patterns didn't change too much throughout. This isn't big deal either but I would have liked the last sequence (when the song repeats what I guess is the chorus) to have been a bit more difficult than the first time, given that the song is building up at that point. I would have liked the steps to build up as well. Still this was a great chart.

You have no idea how much I tried to fit in the bpm change in there but no matter how or where I did it, it always looked bad. I even tried to insert it somwhere in the middle of the slow part, where it seems even slower but nothing worked. I guess I could have tried making the bpm change gradual but I don't think it would work either.

by t7r » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:02 am

Akira wrote:
Zounder wrote:most of the instances of you "facing backwards" on a pad is intentional double stepping on the author's part.

Pretty much. I intended to make Sumire September Love somewhat just like that. Haters gonna hate.
Posting Member

by Yuke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 am

I am the most unlucky person ever. In my Bubble Pop's Standard everything is moved down a beat. :( I have no idea how this happened. I probably just randomly pressed 'Insert' while going through this chart for the last time before submitting it here.

So, I will do the same thing that Lisek did a few posts ago.

If it is possible, I would like to request everyone to go to the Editor Mode before judging Bubble Pop's Standard chart and press 'Delete' on keyboard once (At the beginning of the file). Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.
Posting Member

by Aki » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am

D'awww, we forgive you
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Spork! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:09 pm

After playing basically everything, I have two observations.

1: Song choice is damn good compared to many earlier competitions I've been involved in.
2: Still a sad lack of doubles charts. I know they aren't necessary, but I play far more doubles than singles and it really sways my favor to have them, unless they're autogenned, of course.

I'll get some reviews up soon. Good luck to everyone!
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm busy finishing up my thesis revisions for masters degree. All my entries are either very rushed or were WIP charts for my upcoming Castlevania pack that is stuck in development hell for 2 years.

There will be a double hard chart from me for the bracket 2 ITG division.

I also have a doubles-only full version Nightwish pack waiting for my master's degree to finish. Difficult range 7-11 so far, 1 chart per difficulty. First part to be released with 12 songs.
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by Spork! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Dark Luke wrote:There will be a double hard chart from me for the bracket 2 ITG division.

I also have a doubles-only full version Nightwish pack waiting for my master's degree to finish. Difficult range 7-11 so far, 1 chart per difficulty. First part to be released with 12 songs.

Best news I have heard in a while :D
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

tsugaru7reveng wrote:
Akira wrote:

Pretty much. I intended to make Sumire September Love somewhat just like that. Haters gonna hate.

Q: Can I deduct points in presentation if I don't like the audio???

I do let the steps play me "THE ARROWS TELL ME WHAT TO DO". In my opinion a good step-chart can be played throughout without double-stepping even if it means playing a few steps backwards (if it's intentional it can work) but if your natural reaction is to double-step instead of turning backwards and the artist intended you to hit a few arrows backwards then you missed the point of the chart (can someone who double-steps on habit do the Afronova turns? Answer is maybe if they are lucky or saw someone else do it, where someone who plays like me would get it on their own and enjoy the chart much more). I am being very fair however since I am not judging steps in some abstract manner nor am I treating any single file different than another whereas another judge will give a song a higher score for steps because they like the way the steps go to the music which really is more of a factor of GOOD MUSIC and not so much the steps where another song had no chance because the song was not as interesting, my method is much less subjective and much more objective.

Oh and I can't believe there's a MOVIE called 'The FP' which Omega Gangsta is a direct reference to. I had never even heard of it and it seems like a great movie (seriously), DTRO vs. Sugga Nigga in Omega Gangsta mode FTW!!
Posting Member

by Excel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:42 pm

hellrazor wrote:Q: Can I deduct points in presentation if I don't like the audio???

Generally for Presentation, I would probably just grade based on how well they showcase the stepfile. It seems like the theme of this category has been how well people do with graphics/videos/full set of stepcharts and whatnot based on some of the reviews.
Once they choose the song for their stepfile, they can't really change that aspect of it. Maybe if the cut/splicing of the audio is unbelievably bad, it could get some marks docked off in Presentation.
If you're turned off by the audio, maybe put some negative value in tilt or something.

hellrazor wrote:Oh and I can't believe there's a MOVIE called 'The FP' which Omega Gangsta is a direct reference to. I had never even heard of it and it seems like a great movie (seriously), DTRO vs. Sugga Nigga in Omega Gangsta mode FTW!!

Yeah, Omega Gangster is part of the FP's soundtrack! You should watch it. It's a pretty dramatic movie :]
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 pm

What are you for Halloween, a bitch?

[has never seen The FP]
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

PreviousNext