Bracket 1 - Discussion

Re: Bracket 1 - Download Link & Discussion

by hellrazor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I plan on approval voting for ITG brackets because I have a hard time judging ITG quality but I do have strong opinions and a few favorites. I plan to finish the DDR judging by Friday.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:51 pm

ITG peeps:
The two long form reviews of The Day that the Earth Stalled note that the mines are too close to the notes. Guess I've been bad at mines (and playing on crappy soft pads) long enough to miss that. If 1/8 @ 182 BPM is too close, would 3/16ths work?

I'm going to fix up the mines, check the sync, tone down the Challenge chart a bit (I'm a bit out of touch with harder charts at this point, it seems) and re-release after the file's eliminated (I'm assuming it doesn't make it out of the first round at this rate :))

hellrazor wrote:Two bad turns/spins at the very end... Your banner looks great although the image seems random, BG is washed out and completely random.

Looks like the freeze at 67.4 is a melt (as in, the right foot on that freeze should hit the note at 68.15, even though it overlaps it). That's a mistake. But I wouldn't classify anything there as a spin.

All Afronova walks are intentional.

The BG is supposed to be somewhat thematic... there's apparitions, and for some reason the song sounds dark forest-y to me. I'm not sure I could have done anything more direct for such a bizarre song anyway.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm definitely going to vote for the brackets I haven't voted for yet. It's just a matter of how I'll go about voting on them.

I may be able to submit 2 more reviews for the DDR division (1-1 and 1-3). At the moment, I'm not in the mood to commit to that as my midterms are tomorrow and the day after. I'm hitting the books right now like the good procrastinating student I am. I do finish testing Thursday, so I suppose I'll have a drop of 5 hour energy left in my system to squeeze out a partial/complete review or two by Friday. It's probably better to write some comments rather than just picking songs out of a hat. Tried that with ITG 1-3, but I think it worked out!

As for the rest of the ITG division, I will continue with my highly professional technique in submitting approval votes for the other lucky files.
Posting Member

by Greg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:55 am

I'm planning to do a complete review of at least one bracket, but I'm very busy last days, I hope I'll eventually find some time to do it >_<

BTW, didn't want to offtop in the judging thread so a quick, little offtop here:
hellrazor wrote:it looks really interesting (swords, dragons, castles, I actually WANT to watch this)

Don't xD I actually don't recommend Zero no tsukaima, maybe just the first series, it gets stupid later ("I'll be there for you" is from the last, 4th series) xD
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 am

Greg wrote:BTW, didn't want to offtop in the judging thread so a quick, little offtop here:
hellrazor wrote:it looks really interesting (swords, dragons, castles, I actually WANT to watch this)

Don't xD I actually don't recommend Zero no tsukaima, maybe just the first series, it gets stupid later ("I'll be there for you" is from the last, 4th series) xD

LOL, warning accepted.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

jammitch! wrote:ITG peeps:
The two long form reviews of The Day that the Earth Stalled note that the mines are too close to the notes. Guess I've been bad at mines (and playing on crappy soft pads) long enough to miss that. If 1/8 @ 182 BPM is too close, would 3/16ths work?

ATTENTION! ALGEBRA ALERT!~

Poking around in the OpenITG default metrics tells me the mine window is 70 ms and the Great window is 102 ms, so in order to allow the player to keep combo in any way possible without hitting a mine, you need a minimum of 172 ms separation. (If you care about Goods, the total time is 205 ms; if you want to hold them to Excellents, allow 113 ms total.) One beat at 182 BPM is about 330 ms, so one eighth => 165 ms and 3/16ths => 248 ms. Yes, 3/16ths should work fine. Also, don't forget that ability to read between the mines (har har) is important in a playable file, so even more spacing may not be a bad idea if possible.

tl;dr: rule of thumb is 172 ms separation, which in this case means one eighth is too short but 3/16ths is OK
Image Image
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Telperion wrote:Also, don't forget that ability to read between the mines (har har) is important in a playable file, so even more spacing may not be a bad idea if possible.

For this particular file, I intend reading it to be some part of the difficulty, so I don't want to pull them too far apart. But thanks for doing the math!
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

speaking of judging by song choice, i was looking through the reviews just earlier. #infinity, if you read this, you've seemingly got me down points for the music in both heavy and presentation. is your issue with the chart itself or mostly the song?

if the former, it'd be nice if the review reflected that better! otherwise, maybe consider docking further on presentation or tilt and reviewing the chart for what it is?

either way, thanks for taking the time to write full reviews, that's quite helpful :)
Image Image
Posting Member

by Zounder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 pm

I don't want to speak for infinity, but I think he essentially meant that the steps didn't fit the song, and thus the deduction under heavy was for the steps. For example, I felt Fireflies' chart was a bit too busy given the song choice so I took points off for that reason, but I actually love the song choice there.
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

i don't think most people would posit that if there are a lot of things going on in the song, the chart should be LESS busy. but if that's really what's being said, i'll respect his opinion :)

just a clarification from the source would be nice, at least
Image Image
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I'll try to get some quick reviews in tomorrow. Played most of the DDR entries on pad up to bracket 1-3 but not sure if I will have time to do slightly in-depth reviews or stick with approval votes.

Not sure which ones I liked the most so far. Kind of liked Sumire September Love, tweet tweet, and Russian Unicorn so far, but that isn't taking into account anything but the charts I played. Bubble Pop I liked a bit if just for the turns being done good.

Didn't really see anything too amazing though in terms of blowing me away. Seems like a majority of people tried to keep it safe and while this means some good stuff, it also means nothing too out of the ordinary. With this being the final contest, I was expecting a lot of crazier entries. Oh well.

I played all the ITG entries on Expert at least. Not on pad but that is due to lack of stamina at 4 panel these days. Not exactly sure if I liked a lot of what I saw there. Might have to play them again since I played them all at like... 4 am or so.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm

cpubasic13 wrote:Seems like a majority of people tried to keep it safe

I think bracket 4 has a lot of ambitious charts. Unfortunately I can't review that bracket since I am in it but I will post my thoughts on the songs I haven't commented on yet from that bracket at some point in this thread.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Aped was the only one I could see taking chances since it is a pretty strange genre for such an occasion, but then again I have yet to play any of 4 on pad so I can't say for sure.

The audio quality for MLP Extended Theme is pretty bad though. The volume is really low compared to the other songs around it.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Zounder wrote:I don't want to speak for infinity, but I think he essentially meant that the steps didn't fit the song, and thus the deduction under heavy was for the steps. For example, I felt Fireflies' chart was a bit too busy given the song choice so I took points off for that reason, but I actually love the song choice there.

Yeah, I docked points for Heavy because I thought the steps were confusing to follow, and that's basically due to the limitations of the song (I gave a much higher rating to Standard, as you can see). I thought it seemed overstepped because the song seemed trebly and thin, and therefore wasn't able to support 9-foot steps as well as 7-foot ones. The point I took off in presentation, on the other hand, is simply based on the fact that the song itself is inexcusably messy and melodically incoherent, and I felt that that affected how "presentable" the simfile was.
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 pm

hmm. that's surprising to me, but whatever. thanks for the clarification :)
Image Image
Posting Member

PreviousNext