Best version of StepMania to use?

Best version of StepMania to use?

by BLueSS » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:32 pm

When BM4 was underway, I had Stepmania 4 installed and it seemed to be ok.
Stepmania's latest version (SM5 Preview 3) has problems syncing videos to files. SM3.9 can't handle ITG rolls/mines.

What's the recommended SM version everyone should be using to play the files these days?
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: Best version of StepMania to use?

by Lisek » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm still using 3.9 for DDR files and ITG for ITG files :P

For those who like to have one build SM3.9+ had roll support I think.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm still using 3.9 for DDR as well, but I was away from the community for awhile so I don't know if there is a new DDR standard.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

StepMania 4.0 with a proper ITG2 theme and many features of the ITG PC theme = best for home use, also has support for SMOnline, combine that with Calorie Counter, 3D arrows, scripted courses, Survival mode, Oni Mode, Endless Mode, Dance Magic mode, Arcade modes, extremely stable, and a functional TUTORIAL has StepMania ever been better?

StepMania 3.9+Redux is just additional functionality to my previous SM3.9RC4 which I've been using for a long time as well, it supports Rolls and Mines, and all those lovely SM3.9 themes. It's definately a +up from 3.9 but nowhere near as good as my 4.0 build.

StepMania 5.0 is a crunch back to the basics I thought and I'm too fond of my 4.0 build to downgrade to 5.0, although I have seen some lovely 5.0 themes, if only there were ITG 3D arrow noteskins, every 5.0 build I've seen has ugly looking arrows IMHO.
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I pretty much just stick to 3.9, since it has the broadest compatibility with themes, note skins, etc. It's pretty much the point where the SM team got the program "right," as far as I'm concerned. In the case of having to play a chart with mines, I generally use 3.95 instead because I can perfectly emulate ITG 2 with it.
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm

I use 3.9+ Redux for both stepfile development upstairs and my basement's stepmania PC.
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 pm

#Infinity wrote:I pretty much just stick to 3.9, since it has the broadest compatibility with themes, note skins, etc. It's pretty much the point where the SM team got the program "right," as far as I'm concerned. In the case of having to play a chart with mines, I generally use 3.95 instead because I can perfectly emulate ITG 2 with it.

Get the 3.9 +redux package, it's just going to be files that will over-ride some of your existing 3.9 files. It will enable extra precision for synching, support for some newer +redux themes, and support for Rolls and Mines without losing anything (full SM3.9 functionality). Not sure if it replaces 3.95 though, I haven't tried honestly. In singles mode if you change the difficulty enough it scrolls into Doubles mode, that's strange but also neat just be aware if somehow you switched to doubles without expecting to, you can continue scrolling down to get back to singles.

I also didn't install it over a Vanilla 3.9 but my bastardized 3.9RC4, I had to fix the speed mods back to how I wanted them on the default theme, so be aware of that but you don't need to get a fress 3.9 install either.
Posting Member

by Zero-X » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 pm

I use 3.9 for almost everything, and OpenITG for simfiles with rolls. I have SM5 too, but I just use it to appreciate new themes and files with jacket support.

I recently noticed that, among these three, 3.9 is the only that supports the #LASTBEAT tag (and similars), at least for me.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 pm

3.9+ Redux has everything you need to make DDR and ITG files and is the best looking DDR simulator, unless the team attempts to mimic X2/X3. Although not without its quirks, like auto-gen charts including, but not limited to PIU, IIDX, and pop'n (WTF!?) upon editing difficulty rating and saving, it features rolls, which is a necessity if you want to play ITG files properly, wrap-around scrolling in Edit Mode, which saves loads of time for me since my WIP folder is at the end of the list (will-i-am Originals), and the little things like switching between game style while changing difficulty, although you can get confused hitting up or down too quickly, and added ITG mods.

#LASTBEAT works in 3.9+ Redux, too.

I'm pretty sure 3.9+ Redux replaces 3.95 cuz I specifically made a separate 3.95 folder in my SM directory with all its files in case 3.9+ Redux fucked me over. But it didn't! Thanks, Archer! :D
Posting Member

by Valex » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 pm

From what I've heard the saving of the autogen files in 3.9+ is a setting that can be turned off

I'm on a Mac, so my options are a bit more limited. I use 3.95, but it's really crashy, and I wouldn't recommend it. Assuming you're on Windows, OpenITG is good for ITG stuff, though it's obviously not DDR-style
Posting Member

by Jezendar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 pm

BLueSS wrote:Stepmania's latest version (SM5 Preview 3) has problems syncing videos to files. SM3.9 can't handle ITG rolls/mines.

I don't like the sound of that; I used SM5 alpha 3 to create my two entries, one of which has a video. Also, I'm pretty sure SM3.9 can handle mines, it's just the rolls it couldn't handle.

By the way, I never could find a download link for SM4 anywhere on StepMania's website, despite the fact that 3.9 is still present. Is SM4 actually still available?
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. - Popeye the Sailor Man
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:58 pm

BLueSS wrote:Stepmania's latest version (SM5 Preview 3) has problems syncing videos to files.

It shouldn't, though. The latest build fixed a whole lot of video issues (due to codec problems many of the programmers did not know how to fix) and so far every video I've seen in a simfile has worked perfectly fine. Might be an issue with various video formats, so might want to see if someone posted a bug about it and if it is being fixed. Chances are any problems will be fixed, but priority goes towards more important features (such as reworking the current editor to be more user friendly, for example).

hellrazor wrote:if only there were ITG 3D arrow noteskins, every 5.0 build I've seen has ugly looking arrows IMHO.
http://jousway.co.uk/Unlimited_Stepman_Works/_Noteskin/SM5/Dance/ here you go. Should be able to spot the ITG conversions here, and updating SM5 to a newer build when they are available shouldn't outdate them. I have some themes and noteskins from older SM5 builds that still run perfectly fine although the creators may update the theme to work with new features if needed.

Jezendar wrote:By the way, I never could find a download link for SM4 anywhere on StepMania's website, despite the fact that 3.9 is still present. Is SM4 actually still available?
Nope. SM4 was pretty much forgotten about and never close to completion.

I've been using SM5 since the days it was under sm-ssc, before it was even readily available to the public in alpha stage. Really stable, very smooth, not too many bugs that would interfere with my normal usage, and vastly improved features to allow much better themes and such. Plus it has split timing support, which is very handy for PIU, as well as heavily optimized keysound support in case I want to try my hands at IIDX stuff now and then.
Posting Member

by Aki » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:08 am

3.9 all the way. SM5 is just for swag, and to see if they have made an accurate DDR X2 and X3 theme yet

though, I use OpenITG for well uh, ITG :\/
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Akira wrote:SM5 is just for swag, and to see if they have made an accurate DDR X2 and X3 theme yet
There are already works in progress for these themes, however I find them to be pretty bland. Much prefer original themes over recreations.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Jezendar wrote:By the way, I never could find a download link for SM4 anywhere on StepMania's website, despite the fact that 3.9 is still present. Is SM4 actually still available?

If you want I can upload it for you, I swear by it and I have no doubt it's the best version so far.
Posting Member