BM5 - SCHEDULE, RULES, and SCORING

Re: BM5 - SCHEDULE, RULES, and SCORING

by joe2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:33 pm

hellrazor wrote:neither is it fair that someone submitted their file three weeks ago because of the pending deadline only to see it get extended 2 more weeks.

Yeah it is. That person could use that time to tweak their file further, or send in new files, if they felt like their submissions were rushed. There is a difference between that and giving someone more time than someone else.

k//eternal wrote:i like how the extension alone was two weeks and people are making a fuss over a few hours

Normally I would agree with you, but considering a shitload of submissions were just finished in the past couple days, even with 2 whole extra weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if the last submissions scraped by barely in time. Since the deadline just seems to be 'whenever you feel like it' it doesn't really matter, though. I guess I'm not used to rules this loose, coming from comps with more rigid submission rules/deadlines/etc.

I'm sorry if my criticism is unwelcomed, but it's really hard not to compare this to other events.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:02 pm

joe2 wrote:Normally I would agree with you, but considering a shitload of submissions were just finished in the past couple days, even with 2 whole extra weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if the last submissions scraped by barely in time. Since the deadline just seems to be 'whenever you feel like it' it doesn't really matter, though. I guess I'm not used to rules this loose, coming from comps with more rigid submission rules/deadlines/etc.

I'm sorry if my criticism is unwelcomed, but it's really hard not to compare this to other events.

Speaking for myself, my last minute submission was not a procrastination issue but I decided on working on a second file because of the extension. I don't see how the time-zone is a "loose rule" the whole WORLD operates by this rule all the time, it's globally accepted, if you have to fly to Tokyo for a meeting you can't expect it to be in the middle of the night because that's the time your body is used to being most active, the world revolves around the sun not you. And you may not enjoy this contest, it's not about being "strict and precise" it's more about being fun and enjoyable, because that's really the point of machine dancing, exercise and have fun doing it.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:09 pm

hellrazor wrote:I don't see how the time-zone is a "loose rule"

I wasn't referring to that. Nowhere in the submission rules does it say any deadline whatsoever, it merely says 'August 19th'. Even if it was the '11:59 in your timezone' I would have been okay with that, since it would be clearly in the rules. Instead we're just left here guessing what the deadline is. For all I know, the deadline could have been 12:00am today.

hellrazor wrote:And you may not enjoy this contest, it's not about being "strict and precise" it's more about being fun and enjoyable

I wasn't referring to the contest itself at all. I was talking about having simple things set in place that should be taken for granted. As I said above, we shouldn't have to be guessing the deadline because the rules are vague about it. I'd also disagree that technical files have no place in machine dancing, but that's not even related.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:26 pm

joe2 wrote:I wasn't referring to the contest itself at all. I was talking about having simple things set in place that should be taken for granted. As I said above, we shouldn't have to be guessing the deadline because the rules are vague about it. I'd also disagree that technical files have no place in machine dancing, but that's not even related.

I somehow also thought the deadline was last night as well, at least I got my file done yesterday and not today, I was also hoping the deadline was last 12:00 yesterday so that Best Mix 5 would be released today.

And who said anything about 'technical files have no place in machine dancing'??? Steps that go well with the music are usually fun to play heck I mostly play my ITGStyle folder more than anything else because I enjoy challenges and I find those songs and steps very fun, I just meant the rules aren't strict they are basically a set of bare minimums and voting is simple as well, it's a loosely defined contest meant to simply be about having fun.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:34 pm

hellrazor wrote:And who said anything about 'technical files have no place in machine dancing'??? Steps that go well with the music are usually fun to play heck I mostly play my ITGStyle folder more than anything else because I enjoy challenges and I find those songs and steps very fun, I just meant the rules aren't strict they are basically a set of bare minimums and voting is simple as well, it's a loosely defined contest meant to simply be about having fun.

My apologies, let me clarify on a couple things:
-I misinterpreted "strict and precise" as relating to simfiles, not competition rules.
-I have no problems with the structure of best-mix as it is. I think public voting is a cool thing and the way it's set up seems to be easy enough to apply to submissions.
-Even if the deadline had been last night, I think brackets are still another week, right?

Anyway, considering that debating doesn't really have any effect on the rules, I think I'll leave off here. I'm sorry to anyone who felt offended/whatever, and hopefully there's no hard feelings. Just here to play some simfiles.
Posting Member

by Aki » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

You two, stop arguing and just finish your files if you feel that your masterpiece needs a year to finish. Here, have a read:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ingFunGuys
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub

We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Okay, so

• All the current "arguments" are just misinterpretations from the discussion about time zones.
  • It's already been established that the deadline is flexible within August 19th (matching the overall tone of the contest). That's all everybody originally wanted to know. Nobody was trying to dodge the deadline.
  • If file submission is opened at the same absolute time for everybody, and the contest organizers wish to be strict, it should also be closed at the same absolute time for everybody. None of that silly time zone business. I've helped run contests on Z-I-v before and a deadline given in UTC is usually best.
  • A deadline extension isn't unfair to the early birds. Nothing in the rules said you can't re-submit before the deadline if you make changes or revisions.
  • Why are we still here.
Image Image
Posting Member

by Aki » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:38 pm

^Image
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 pm

joe2 wrote:Question - any reason why releasing submissions on other boards during comp is not allowed? From my understanding this is public voting anyway, and obviously submissions can't be edited once sent in, so...

It's the rule: Files are exclusive to this contest until it's over. You can feel free to link to the full pack on other sites as a way for people to get your file, but no re-posting just your file anywhere until the contest is over.

joe2 wrote:So even though this tournament started at the exact same time for everybody, you're 100% ok with it ending at different times for everybody? How is that fair or have any semblance of sense? There is a reason why other comps always have start/end dates in one timezone.

will-i-am wrote:Just submit your stuff before you go to bed Sunday night or Monday morning. BLueSS will make a last call post before he confirms the submitted entries. And if things work out in your favor, maybe he'll let a late entry or so sneak in since Division 1 isn't getting released until Friday.

hellrazor wrote:Getting your file submitted by the end of today may not be exactly fair but neither is it fair that someone submitted their file three weeks ago because of the pending deadline only to see it get extended 2 more weeks.

Anyone that submitted early was able to re-submit a file before the extended deadline. I have generally always been a little lax on the midnight deadline, as long as when I'm going through the files the next day (whenever that happens to be), they're all there. It's going to be the same this time around; I won't have time to check the files until tomorrow, but I will be looking at the timestamps of the PMs sent in.

I'll be making a separate thread with the entries received tomorrow, so everyone's clear which ones were submitted in time.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Also, this. :)

k//eternal wrote:i like how the extension alone was two weeks and people are making a fuss over a few hours
Site Admin

by BLueSS » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Bracket 2 has been officially extended another week (Or sooner, if enough reviews come in).
If It closes sooner, the *very quick* wildcard round will immediately start.
Site Admin

by Greg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:36 am

I've been wondering - what about the usual Community Pack for this BEST-Mix?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 am

Greg wrote:I've been wondering - what about the usual Community Pack for this BEST-Mix?

http://best-mix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=560
Site Admin

by Greg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am

BLueSS wrote:
Greg wrote:I've been wondering - what about the usual Community Pack for this BEST-Mix?

http://best-mix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=560

Yeah, but I mean the actual Community Pack like with the previous editions, where anyone can participate and send something new, instead of their old files.
Posting Member

by Powaznyczuowiek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm

yeah, previous CP was good because simfiles like "all the right moves" (which don't fit any of the conventions) could be posted, and everyone could participate. It's the last BM, so it's kinda not fair, that no one can show their charts only because (s)he found best-mix pretty late. And even if someone participated in 2 best-mixes he can't show his new steps. Why release sim which have been released and everyone knows it (or can download any time) ? This makes no sense to me...really
Posting Member

PreviousNext