BM5 - SCHEDULE, RULES, and SCORING

Re: BM5 - SCHEDULE, RULES, and SCORING

by BLueSS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Digital Love wrote:Hey

I'm new to this and just wanted to run something by the admin real fast. The two songs I've edited down clock in at 3:04 and 3:05 respectively, with no steps occurring after the 3 minute mark. The couple spare seconds are merely for smooth fade out purposes, is it okay to leave them in or should I edit right down to 3:00?

Exception granted. I hate bad fade-outs. (although I'm also not a fan of 3 minute songs...)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by joe2 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Question - any reason why releasing submissions on other boards during comp is not allowed? From my understanding this is public voting anyway, and obviously submissions can't be edited once sent in, so...
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:38 pm

joe2 wrote:Question - any reason why releasing submissions on other boards during comp is not allowed? From my understanding this is public voting anyway, and obviously submissions can't be edited once sent in, so...

Simple, if someone downloads your FILE on another site and likes it then comes here and votes, they only have experience with your single file. Or what if someone comments that your fade-out is bad so you fix the fadeout and re-submit on another site. In order to keep the competition fair to ensure no file tweaking and nobody is downloading only a few files a mass release without sharing on other sites is necessary.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:58 pm

hellrazor wrote:Simple, if someone downloads your FILE on another site and likes it then comes here and votes, they only have experience with your single file.

best-mix #5 rules wrote:All forum members (except newly registered voters with no posts) can vote for as many files as they want to win BEST-mix.

While your point isn't necessarily wrong, the rules already safeguard against this. It's set so that essentially only people with some established history on this site, entering or not, can vote. As such, there shouldn't be any excuse for not having access to all the files. If someone from another board were hypothetically to come here, register, and want to vote, they wouldn't be able to due to post count.

hellrazor wrote:Or what if someone comments that your fade-out is bad so you fix the fadeout and re-submit on another site.

I don't exactly get what you mean by "another site" (unless you mean mediafire or something), but if this is released cross-board during the voting period, it doesn't matter, since to my understanding submissions are locked after midnight tonight(?). In other words, I wouldn't really be able to change anything about my submission at that point.

hellrazor wrote:In order to keep the competition fair to ensure no file tweaking and nobody is downloading only a few files a mass release without sharing on other sites is necessary.

File tweaking: The only time this is allowed is before the deadline, by sending in extra revisions/files/whatever. I'm talking about releasing after the deadline has passed, when you can't even do that stuff anyway. Very likely, I would tweak my cross-board copies of my file based on feedback, but none of that can affect the submission already set in stone.

DLing a few files: these would only be accessible to people who cannot even vote in this competition due to the 0-post vote ban anyway. A lot of this seems to be hinging on hypothetical crazy stepmania fanatics that would be willing to rig online stepmania competitions. Even if upon release I flat out told people to vote for me and no one else, there is a rule already in place to block that.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:27 pm

OK, since nobody's brought it up yet (except for joe2 who briefly mentioned it above) and I'm a lazy butt: are files due midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow night? Please say tomorrow night
Image Image
Posting Member

by Lisek » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Since I remember it has always been to DEADLINE DAY 23:59 of your local time.

So this BEST-mix deadline is 19th August 23:59 _insert here your time zone_.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Lisek wrote:Since I remember it has always been to DEADLINE DAY 23:59 of your local time.

Really? This technically gives some people more time than others, just saying. For example, 11:59pm for me would only be 8:59pm where Telperion is.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Just submit your stuff before you go to bed Sunday night or Monday morning. BLueSS will make a last call post before he confirms the submitted entries. And if things work out in your favor, maybe he'll let a late entry or so sneak in since Division 1 isn't getting released until Friday.
Posting Member

by Valex » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Just don't submit your stuff
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 am

joe2 wrote:
Lisek wrote:Since I remember it has always been to DEADLINE DAY 23:59 of your local time.

Really? This technically gives some people more time than others, just saying. For example, 11:59pm for me would only be 8:59pm where Telperion is.

That's the point of time zones...

Also for releasing files on other sites, imagine if a previous member here downloaded your file and then logged in to vote for it without downloading Best Mix 5, or if you do tweak your file and someone downloads it and replaces their official file with your refinished file and forgets what they did then votes according to your refinished work. Or do you know the concept of dual contingency, such that two things have to happen for a failure, 1st you have to be a member to vote and 2nd the simfile must be exclusive to BestMix5 until the contest is over, it's double protection. Finally BlueSS makes the rules around here, you can follow the rules closely or risk disqualification.
Posting Member

by joe2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:41 am

hellrazor wrote:That's the point of time zones...

So even though this tournament started at the exact same time for everybody, you're 100% ok with it ending at different times for everybody? How is that fair or have any semblance of sense? There is a reason why other comps always have start/end dates in one timezone.

hellrazor wrote:Finally BlueSS makes the rules around here, you can follow the rules closely or risk disqualification.

I am well aware of that, thanks for pointing it out! I posted my thoughts here since it seems pretty clear the rules already in place, if anything, make crossposting viable. I have not broken the rules, nor do I plan to. I merely sought to question a rule based on an incredibly unlikely hypothetical situation.

edit: Look, I'd rather spend this comp looking at simfiles instead of debating over stuff that'll be meaningless in a month or two anyway. I still stand by what I said earlier, but I don't really want to drag this into some shitflinging mess. I apologize for any perceived "drama" (even though I thought we were just debating...) and hope to just let this go.
Last edited by joe2 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Posting Member

by Lisek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:44 am

Simfile contest Image
Drama Image
Posting Member

by Aki » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:32 am

We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by hellrazor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 pm

joe2 wrote:
hellrazor wrote:That's the point of time zones...

So even though this tournament started at the exact same time for everybody, you're 100% ok with it ending at different times for everybody? How is that fair or have any semblance of sense? There is a reason why other comps always have start/end dates in one timezone.

Guess what, some people celebrate the New Year before others, and some people go to work at 7am but it's only 2am my time, or if I call my family in California when the sun goes down, it's only 6pm their time and they're still enjoying the sunlight.

We live on a globe based on solar cycles, time zones are intended so that the majority of the world can enjoy daylight. Getting your file submitted by the end of today may not be exactly fair but neither is it fair that someone submitted their file three weeks ago because of the pending deadline only to see it get extended 2 more weeks.

So if I woke up 3 hours before you because we're in different time zones and I have to submit my file 3 hours before you what is the problem?
Posting Member

by k//eternal » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 pm

i like how the extension alone was two weeks and people are making a fuss over a few hours
Image Image
Posting Member

PreviousNext