BM 4 - OLYMPICS

Negative BPMs?

BM 4 - OLYMPICS

by will-i-am » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Hey guys, I was thinking. The final vote is going on for a while (nearly a whole week) to make sure everyone gets a chance to send in their votes for who they believe deserves to win, so I was thinking to keep the downtime on the site for the time being to a minimum, it may help to re-introduce an aspect seen in previous contests at this site.

Since BLueSS said he wasn't planning on bringing back the OLYMPICS as seen in BEST-mix 2 & 3, I thought, hey, if I'm available to start it, why not do it? I personally enjoyed the last two OLYMPICS because it gave files that didn't make it to further rounds, and last year, files that weren't even in the contest (Community Pack), a chance to shine under the spotlight and get noticed for certain qualities those files did really well that deserved to be pointed out.

It is very difficult to create a simfile that hits every aspect of what makes a simfile really good. You only come by one or two of those simfiles every tournament, which is why they eventually become the contest champions, but unlike like those few elite champions, there are many more winners in the files that were not recognized for making everything right, but rather for making something right. There are many aspects that make up a single simfile, from the seemingly most important: steps, graphics, song choice, and visuals; to the seemingly less important: doubles charts, extra singles charts, BPM gimmicks, and even the most basic required material every file had to have in this contest, the read-me. One or two qualities done well in a file might not make that file as significant as five or six qualities done well in a better overall file, but I strongly believe those one or two qualities deserve the same right to get recognized as those five or six qualities are already getting praised constantly for.

That's why I want to rev this up once again. Not just because it gives us all something more to think about while we're anticipating the final results, but because it brings back every file entered into this competition, from the DDR division, to the ITG division, to even the Community Pack that recieved no real critiquing besides the AIM chat review that took place, together as one for the first time. You have the opportunity to vote amongst ALL 74 SONGS entered in this contest and pick out one aspect at a time from them all that you thought really stood out and deserves to be noted for.

This special extra voting round will consist of many different areas to vote from. It will be in APPROVAL VOTE FORMAT, just like the Final Round Vote currently taking place, but this time there will be a max on the number of files you will be allowed to vote for in each area. VOTERS MAY CHOOSE UP TO 10 SONGS PER CATEGORY, but are of course not required to pick out 10 whole songs. You may vote for just 1 song in each category if you like, and if you decide to vote, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO VOTE IN EACH CATEGORY as there will be many of them to choose from. You can vote anywhere from just 1 song in 1 category, to 10 songs in every category. This is a very loose voting round that is only intended to bring up files that didn't necessarily do the greatest as far as achieving the highest possible place in the tournament, but definitely achieved greatness in one form or another as explained above.

So, without further ado, here are the categories you can choose to vote from:

#1: BEST-song choice
(songs you believe display creativity, are a fitting choice, are thorougly enjoyable to listen to, etc.)

#2: BEST-singles steps
(singles charts, out of all required and unrequired singles charts, you thought were the most fun, most creative, most fitting, etc.)

#3: BEST-graphics
(banner and background you believe display ...)

#4: BEST-visuals
(videos, BG animations, hand-made videos, random movies, etc.)

#5: BEST-doubles steps
(doubles charts you believe display ...)

#6: BEST-gimmicks
(BPM changes, stops, mine usage, roll usage, etc.)

#7: BEST-read-me
(read-me you believe was the most informative, comedic, organized, etc.)

#8: BEST-mix
(cheesy, I know, but for this category the name is definitely appropriate! any file you found to be the most fun to play for reasons whatsoever that would influence you to play the file again, whether it be because of steps, graphics, song choice, creativity, extras, overall package, etc. In other words, this is the "Most Fun" category from last year's OLYMPICS)

Remember, you can vote for as little or as many categories as you'd like, you're allowed to vote from anywhere between 1-10 files for each category, and every file entered into this contest, including the Community Pack, is eligible. To vote, just post them publicly here!

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, please address them below. But for now, VOTE in the FINALS, as that is the main priority, and if you have time, VOTE in the OLYMPICS, too!
Posting Member

Re: BM 4 - OLYMPICS

by Super_Ray » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:46 pm

Mama Used To Say
Love symphony
Groundhog
FU-FA
Revolver Blast
KeYboArDcrAsHer maXimUM

love SYMPHONY

Far Away
Monster oh Monster

All The Right Moves
Epileptic Crisis

I'll update this later...
Last edited by Super_Ray on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by JukuGuy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm totally going to be bias if I comment on any of those topics. :P
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Far Away
Sayonara Heaven
Empire State Glory
15 Step
MAYBE (MIKK REMIX)
Perfume
Future Destination
Gibold (Scandalous Unltd. Remix)

ALL I DO IS WIN (REMIX)
Far Away
Acid Bath

MAYBE (MIKK REMIX)
ALL THE RIGHT MOVES (Danger Mix)
Break Up (DJ CODEMAN REMIX)
I WON'T FALL APART
Don't Stop Believing (Fonzerelli Mix)
CALIFORNIA GURLS
love SYMPHONY
15 Step

Marshmallow
Monster Oh Monster (Remix)
Far Away

windows 98 jam
Marshmallow
Acid Bath
ALL THE RIGHT MOVES (Danger Mix)
End of Distress

ALL I DO IS WIN (REMIX)
Ghosts n Stuff

I'll keep updating this every once in a while. None of the lists are final either.
Posting Member