Community Pack - DISCUSSION

Negative BPMs?

Re: Community Pack - DOWNLOAD & DISCUSSION

by Juub005 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

That's cool, I might be late though. I really have a lot of work to do today.
Posting Member

by Valex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Also I don't think I have it on my profile but my AIM name is jberk0416 (I am bad at AIM names)
Posting Member

by Braeden47 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:00 pm

I'd like to join in the community review, my AIM is BraedenRacer.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:38 pm

I'll be on in 10 minutes and message you guys. IGN is williamusic.
Posting Member

by Valex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 pm

What the fuck is an IGN
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Agreed with above. Where are you, will?!
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh yeah SN LOL k I'm online now. Sorry guys for the wait!

...been playing too many mmo's recently. :roll:
Posting Member

by Xythar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm

*Braeden47* (11:19:56 PM): who the hell rated this a 7?

It's a Sunkiss*Drop 7. 8)
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:38 pm

LOL nice.

btw you shoulda joined us! I tried to make the time sorta convenient for you, too. Were you at work or just busy doin' stuff or something?
Posting Member

by Xythar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:44 pm

I was at the arcade, unfortunately. Then I got back about 2-3 hours ago but I had to do some cleaning up as well.
Posting Member

by JukuGuy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:25 am

Xythar wrote:
*Braeden47* (11:19:56 PM): who the hell rated this a 7?

It's a Sunkiss*Drop 7. 8)

Sunkiss my bum.

Valex wrote:What the fuck is an IGN

some gaming review site. And yes, mmorpg's are quite addictive.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 am

will-i-am (10:56:51 PM): what's edit like

Challenge and Edit have the same rhythms (or very close), hence the identical groove radar. Edit was the first draft, but after I made the doubles chart super-twisty, they had me go back and redo the patterns on the challenge chart to also be super-twisty. So if you don't like the "double-steps", play the Edit instead. Or play the undercharts, which aren't so super-hard and still (IMO) fun. They even give you gimmick clues if you pay attention. (No such niceties on Master, sorry.)

Speaking of which, I went through the Challenge chart and found maybe five double steps. Most of these had a full beat or two, and one had a mine to cue it (it goes 28-86-4282628, and the double step is 6-4). There definitely are some, but it's not the whole chart. Some of the patterns are really difficult to read through though. Do I expect anyone to be able to read that on a first play? No. Nor on a second or third. I can't read it when playing on keyboard either. But there is a way through it. It's supposed to be a stupid hard boss song.

If you'd like me to put up an annotated stepchart for this one to demonstrate, I can do that.

As for the mines, if you think it's hard now, most of the mines were supposed to be decoys, which were mines that only went off if you actually stepped down on them (as opposed to leaving your foot there), but they'd look a lot closer to arrows than mines would. I have a noteskin I can upload if you'd like to see what difference it would make, but imagine the jumpy miney part as a series of four arrows, with two red and two orange, coming at you at 380 BPM.

So if I left you in a position where you could not avoid a mine, I'm sorry about that. It probably should be a decoy, but I didn't have any time to tweak it. And even if I did have time, I'd rather preserve the original DTX chart as much as possible. Same with the few remaining double-steps.

This was done three years before Pluto Relinquish, so I'm glad to hear the gimmicks still hold up. :p

braeden:
I've always wondered about how much that other chart was based off of a leaked version of this one, and tweaked to meet ITG sensibilities, vs. redone from the ground up. They shared enough of the gimmicks to make me wonder. That's part of the reason I wanted the original out there, for better or for worse.

I'm still trying to parse what you mean by this comment, since it didn't sound like you played the light chart:
that chart fails light!
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Xythar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:34 am

Oh yeah I had my friend try Epileptic Crisis the other day and he was going on about ITG Rebirth too. Was the song originally created for DTX?
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 am

Yeah, it definitely was, and this is definitely the first chart to this song. I found the old ITG Rebirth forum via Google and saw a few other early DTX songs in there, like Cherry Blossom Whirlwind, Sonic Vision, Burning Me Up and Rock Steady. (Most of these were cut from DTX, which is why I did charts to the last two in the past.)

DTX wasn't trying to match ITG's step sensibilities - we were trying to bring our own style to the table - so it's quite probable that an ITG player would prefer a chart made by an ITG player to my chart.

After digging out a video of the ITG Rebirth one again, I see patterns in it that are straight-up lifted from my chart. Not many, but there are a few. Compare 0:14 and 0:24 here to my chart. Most of it's pretty different, thankfully, including a few of the gimmicks. Notably, I noticed that the same gimmicks were used in the repeating part of the song both times. For the DTX version, Phrekwenci wanted the first part to be gimmick free, and the second part to lead in with the same steps, but with different gimmicks, to trip the player up.

Without knowing the whole story behind the other chart I can't exactly say anything about its inspiration, but I wanted to get this out there and get some credit for it, as I consider this to be one of my masterpieces.

History lesson:
Canblaster was contributing songs to DTX, ITG3 and I think even NeonFM, before they all died. Which is fine - the man's an amazing musician, and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of his songs that were going to be on the game (see the last two above). I have an ITG 3 pack with a song called Dream into Nightmare which is basically the same as EC (right down to the Nightmare alias). And towards the end of DTX's slow death, I think we were trying to play nice with ITG and there were going to be some crossover song series - I think Disconnected and Futurescope. But the whole thing imploded after that.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

PreviousNext