DDR - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

DDR - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

by JukuGuy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Might actually leave some comments this time. After having an upset with my file (I'm a hard ass on myself, don't mind me), I might just blow off some stream by reviewing these songs.

***EDIT:
DDR BRACKET #2 - 1st Set

Mind me being harsh, don't like that I am.. I'm just straight-forward, so hopefully any of you don't take this personally. Just mind I enjoy this pack so far. :)

Radiohead - 15 Step / Telperion

Presentation 4/5
I like how simplistic and raw the graphics are. Neat.

Heavy 8/11
Interesting steps. For stepping such a weird beated song, I give you kudos for creating something really unique. Steps could be a bit more risky, like do something different with the stream of 8ths. Nethertheless, I did enjoy.

Challenge 10/11
Much better than heavy. Everything seems so in sync, tight arrangements, placing. I loved how you placed some of the steps with the effects of the song. ie. those jumps synchronizing with those claps around bar 70 and those long freeze arrows.

Tilt 2/3
I pretty much loved how you took a risk with this simfile. Graphics could do a bit work, but then again, I just love how simplistic it was.

Total: 24/30

Katy Perry feat. Snoop - CALIFORNIA GURLS / will-i-am

Presentation 5/5
Flawless graphics. You got everything going, what else is there to say? Oh, I might also add that you did a cool job with that song cut.

Standard 9/11
Interesting chart. Up until the chorus, I felt like there was some lost connection. ie. bar 26 with those two 8th arrows, I don't quite understand like the meaning behind that pattern. The second chorus, however was a massive improvement from the first. The first chorus seemed, weird for my taste.

Heavy 9/11
There was so much creativity in this particular chart, which is always a plus. Although sometimes, doing too much of it can result me into thinking.. That you overdid this simfile. I felt that the beginning was strong. The mini kickdrums in bar 12 was cool. Jumps felt right. Love the repetitiveness of streams during the first chrous. I think you could just stuck with that on the second chorus, or make streams more longer in the second chorus to build that climax. But since I don't want to run down every single little bit of the chart ~_~ , I'm just going to say this. To sum up, placing is good, solid chart, its just that at times I find this chart a bit too much.

Tilt 3/3
Overall, solid package.

Total: 26/30

livetune feat Miku Hatsune - Far Away / Xythar

Presentation 5/5
Moving banner, check. Cd-title, check. Trippy anime karaoke-type video, check. Thoughtful readme, check. The title of the banner though, erks me, but obviously it wasn't your fault.

Standard 9/11
I think this chart brought you down a bit. Although this may be such a perfect, laidback, standard chart, I didn't really surprised or "jumped out of my seat" sort of thing. Not cause its standard, it just left me a bit of its spark imo.

Heavy 11/11
Amazing. You definitely had me with this one. The only thing I can nag about are those clustered freeze arrows. Other than that, I love the repititiveness of those streams, great patterns. This chart felt to right. I must not complain, no not at all. I can brag about this chart all day long, damn that felt so good.

Tilt 3/3
Impressive. I would definitely keep this simfile, no doubt.

Total: 28/30

Junior - Mama Used To Say / Super_Ray

Presentation 4/5
Simplistic, blue, retro-feel to the graphics. I like the 3D effect to the title. Just docked off a mark for not being as stand-out to as the other sims in this bracket.

Standard 9/11
Jeez, this song brings me deja vu for some reason. This chart I felt also resembled to some DDR song back in the day as well. Although, I actually enjoyed that song, which pretty much states that I enjoyed this chart as well. I found this chart more groovier, cooler. More free-like. Yeah, I just enjoyed it thoroughly.

Heavy 7/11
Eh. This simfile actually made me miss S.P.A.M. I actually should not have ever been so harsh on that simfile, because at least that one was amazing. No lie. This one.. This simfile actually reminded me of some early DDR song. I think it was Get Up N' Dance, with all those long streams or maybe that was Think Ya Better D. Huh. By mentioning those files though, that is where this simfile lies in that some sort of category. Midtempo, dancy, yet.. dull

Tilt 1/3
Beh, I'd always have to compare to what your up against, so I can't really give you the full mark.

Total: 21/30

Eluveitie - Omnos / Dark-Luke

Presentation 2/5
I'm sorry, but if I was forced to make babies with these graphics...
Side notes: I loved that effect you did when you pushed the BPM to the chorus. That was neat.

Standard 9/11
Okay,see. This should have been the heavy chart IMO. I love the tapping part in the beginning. Then it gets repetitive. Other than that, I can't fuss about anything being flawed.

Heavy 7/11
Similar to Cali Gurls, you had way too much things going on with the streams. Although it looked like you were putting some effort, try to work something else out.

Tilt 0/3
Not my cup of brew.

Total: 18/30

Yuko Takehara & Masato Kouda - Theme Of Chung-Li / Hiro Konobu

Presentation 1/5
Clunky, just clunky graphics. Why? Who's whiteshark? Why the fade in the ending?

Heavy 5/11
The only parts I loved were the breakdowns. (Y'know before the madness of streams) Bar 42, with the freeze and the up arrow, this is not the ITG bracket, wake up Mister! Afterwards it just gets messy. Do something else other than step step jump step step jump step step jump, you're being too safe. *sigh* I didn't want to unleash the dragon but you had it in me. =/

Challenge 3/11
I honestly don't know how to "properly" judge on difficult charts like these. (Which is pretty much why I won't be judging files for the ITG bracket.) All I'm going to say this is.. Is it possible to even dance to this, or do we just have to be forced to step one step to another 16thstep with the same foot?

Tilt 0/3
One day you will learn to conquer young one.

Total: 9/30

Based on what I've seen here, there were several standouts, some that left me a mild impression, and one truly, deserving winner.
Last edited by JukuGuy on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by Braeden47 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 pm

+=positive aspect
-=negative aspect
~=neutral comment

15 Step

Presentation: 4/5
+ The steps in the background and banner
+ Full Difficulties
+ Interesting font

Hardest Chart: 8/11
+ Jumps and taps accenting the music
+ Freeze arrows at end
- Some weird crossover usage
- Some parts felt understepped

Second Hardest Chart: 6/11
- Felt understepped for Heavy
+ Follows the music well

Tilt: 0/3
- While different time signatures are interesting, I didn't care for the song and it did not seem like it would be on DDR.
Total: 18/30

California Gurls

Presentation: 4/5
+Video
+Professional looking banner
+Extra Chart
-banner and background look the same

Second Hardest Chart: 9/11
+16th and jump usage
+The freeze usage at the end
-Felt like a typical standard chart

Hardest Chart: 9/11
+Interesting jump based chart
+The 16th usage
+Follows music well
-The spins
~This should probably be a 7 footer

Tilt: 2/3
+Would fit in well in a US DDR game
-Don't care for this type of music

Total: 24/30

Far Away
Presentation: 5/5
+/- Video seems high quality, which causes some lag.
+ Animated banner
+ Full difficulties

Hardest Chart:7/11
+ The freeze arrows following the voice
+ Fits the song well
- The 2 sets of the same 3 arrows
- Feels like a generic US DDR game license chart, but this song doesn't have lots of step potential.
- Steps don't start for a long time

+ The freeze arrows following the voice
+ The 8th note patterns

+ Would fit on the arcade version

Total: 23/30

Mama Used to Say
Presentation: 2/5
-Background is basic
-Banner is the same as background
+Extra chart

Second Hardest Chart: 6/11
+Freezes following the voices
-I felt there should have been jumps on the accents

Hardest Chart: 6/11
-Some 16th patterns in the music were unstepped
-Chart seemed kind of boring
+Use of jumps
+Use of crossovers

Tilt: 0/3
-Song doesn't really fit in DDR

Total: 14/30

Omnos

Presentation: 5/5
+Interesting font
+Professional looking background
+Full difficulties

+Use of taps
+Use of jumps

Hardest Chart: 9/11
+Use of Taps
+8th runs went with the song
-What was that speed change for?

-Doesn't seem like a DDR song

Total: 25/30

Theme of Chun-Li

Presentation: 1/5
-Chart ends at an awkward place
-Background and banner are the same
-Text on a picture
+Full Difficulties

Hardest Chart: 3/11
-This is an ITG chart
-Double stepping in 16th runs is not good
+Freeze and Jump usage

Second Hardest Chart: 3/11
-Double stepping
-Too many stepjumps
-Kind of boring

Tilt:0/3
-Song doesn't seem to make interesting steps.

Total: 7/30

Omnos: 25/30
California Gurls: 24/30
Far Away:23/30
15 Step: 18/30
Mama Used to Say: 14/30
Theme of Chun-Li: 7/30
Posting Member

by Miki » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Grading
Presentation - /5 - Given based on background, banner, background video if any.
Second Hardest Chart -/11 - Usually played second.
Hardest Chart - /11 - Usually played first.
Tilt - /3 - Given for extra (and good) charts, informative/funny readmes.
Comments: Has no bearing on grading. Overall impression.

Marks
+ Good things.
- Bad things.
~ Neutral things.

15 Step - 21/30
Presentation - 3/5
+ Neat background.
- The glossy font doesn't seem to match the background though.
Second Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 7/11
~ While the rhythm at the beginning is good, the patterns have an awkward flow.
- There was a part near the middle where I feel it could use another freeze. Some other parts just have slightly awkward steps that I didn't really agree with.
Hardest Chart (Challenge) - 9/11
+ At first I didn't get the beat, but then when I did, it all made a lot sense.
~ Lots of variety and never gets old. However I am not sure I understand a few steps.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Standard, Light, and Beginner charts. Standard was nice, but Light wasn't that good though.
+ Doubles! Heavy looks fun actually.
Comments: I thought I would dread playing this entry, but now I find it very creative and fun.

CALIFORNIA GURLS - 22/30
Presentation - 4/5
~ Colorful and fun background, although slightly messy fonts.
+ Background video! Hotness and whipped cream ahoy.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 7/11
~ Not sure if I agree with some of the steps towards the beginning, but gets pretty fun towards the end.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
+ A lot of variety for what I originally thought a plain song.
~ There were a few parts during the Snoop vocals that I think could be stepped a bit harder.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light chart. Plays fine.
~ Doubles! However it doesn't play like a doubles chart. Most of the steps were crowded on one pad and then repeated on the other. It feels more like one singles chart but split into two pads.
+ A neatly formatted ReadMe, although not very informative. Also, reppin' Cali.
Comments: Yay for more Katy Perry!

Far Away - 25/30
Presentation - 5/5
+ Animated banner! It scared me when I first saw it. Whoosh!
+ Background video. I haven't seen another floating star-shaped dancing stage since the Hot Limit video. Which can be seen here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9vGib6CmY
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 9/11
+ Lots of fun, and the the steps fitted the song so well. Slightly more memorable than heavy.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
+ Lots of variety and fun patterns.
~ I just played it a minute ago and I don't remember any specific parts that stand out, just that the steps felt nice.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner charts.
+ Informative ReadMe.
Comments: I thought I would dread playing this entry, and I did (her voice gives me a creepy feeling). The steps were great though.

Mama Used To Say - 19/30
Presentation - 3/5
+ Plain background, but it works.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 8/11
~ Better than heavy, most steps fitted the music well. But 4 freezes on the left? I know it's balanced out later but come on :|
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 7/11
- I seriously expected a lot more funky steps to a song so chill and jazzy. The 8th stream was fun but didn't fit the song so well.
Tilt - 1/3
+ Light chart.
Comments: I didn't expect to see this type of song in this competition, so this was a nice surprise!

Omnos - 22/30
Presentation - 4/5
~ Cool banner with neat text. But why is the artist text larger than the song title?
~ Background video! Since the singer was still mouthing words at the end, I take it that the video wasn't cut properly at all.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 8/11
~ Fun overall, but nothing particularly memorable.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 8/11
~ The streams at the beginning and the end were pretty fun, but I wish there was a little bit more variety.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner charts.
+ Doubles!
Comments: I didn't expect to see this type of song in this competition, so this was a nice surprise (just not as nice as Mama Used To Say).

Theme of Chun-Li - 19/30
Presentation - 3/5
~ Font and background are okay. Creepy yellow glow though.
Second Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 7/11
~ The DR jump with the U hand plant is unintentional, right?
- The step-step-jump scheme got old very fast.
Hardest Chart (Challenge) - 8/11
- I didn't really like the stream at the beginning. The switch from two arrows to another set of two arrows feel random and didn't fit.
Tilt - 1/3
~ Standard, Light, and Beginner charts. Some of the steps in Light feel a bit too hard for a 4 though, like the short 8th streams. PLayed more like a less-hard version of Standard.
Comments: The way I see it, this song only has two parts, and it gets repeated twice. Certainly not the most interesting song, and this file isn't helping with making it more tolerable.

Overall comments: There were lots of surprising song choices and steps in this bracket. Far Away is a very clear winner for me. My scores put California Gurls and Omnos next into the top 3, but I can see 15 Step advancing as well.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:21 pm

15 Step
Presentation 4/5 Exactly 15 footprints, haha. The title text could be a little more interesting (maybe different style from artist text would've helped?) but it's fairly good.
Second-hardest chart 11/11 Very well organized and very cool. The breaks in between the steps remind me of the CUBE from DDR 5th, though the song is way different, and they added a lot to the charm of it.
Hardest chart 9/11 I wasn't quite feeling this one as much, though it was quite good. It seems to be a pretty improvisational song and I would've liked the steps to be just a slight bit more improvisational.
Tilt 2/3 Songs that are in 5/4 and sound good are few and far between. This does that (though I am not really enamored for Radiohead's vocalist), but for DDR it's kind of a snooze and I felt myself getting a little bored. But that double heavy chart was pretty good, and it's nice to see a 5/4 time stepped so handily.

California Gurls
Presentation 5/5 Very colorful and lively text and backdrop
Second-hardest chart 11/11 I was wondering whether I was going to buy the pattern in the chorus that went SS_SSSS (where each S is an 8th note and _ is a rest), but then I did. It moved very, very well.
Hardest chart 11/11 Extremely creative and well patterned rhythmically. One of the best charts I've seen in a while.
Tilt 3/3 Way to make a song I hated really enjoyable, geez! Everything here was great.

Far Away
Presentation 5/5 The title text in the graphics is not a style I'm used to seeing, but it was well executed, and I think it's clever how the text worked in the animated banner.
Second-hardest chart 11/11 This was just magical. The steps flowed smoother than Katy Perry's butt in the video in the last entry. Jokes aside, wonderful job, and the ending made me smile. Oh, how I miss our stepfile tournaments of old...
Hardest chart 11/11 Very well done also. The pattern in the middle (meas. 34) with the freezes was a good surprise to add a little novelty, and the tiny sort-of-twists in the patterns do a good job at giving the chart just the kind of character it needs. Altogether this is a classic.
Tilt 3/3 Incredibly polished and just well done everywhere.

Mama Used to Say
Presentation 5/5 The graphics fit the throwback style of the song just perfectly. Your CDtitle is pretty big but even that helps with the style!
Second-hardest chart 11/11 Great ending, and great use of double-steps and crossovers.
Hardest chart 11/11 I was waiting for the part where the chart would be really good and it hit right there at the end with the streams. That made this chart feel just right, and the patterns were really diverse. Quite brilliant.
Tilt 3/3 Lovely all around. The fact that it's an awesome song helps too.

Omnos
Presentation 3/5 Decent. Some may think it's clever to make the artist text, and not the title, the focus of the graphics. Here, though, it just makes things confusing, especially when it sounds like she's saying "Eluveitie" in the song. Also, the style of the text is too ordinary. Try using several outlines or using different fonts for artist and title.
Second-hardest chart 9/11 There's one part in this that makes things less interesting, where you have quarter streams followed by patterns with 8th notes (before the chorus). Apart from that it's pretty good, especially the chorus and the end.
Hardest chart 7/11 Argh, that stream in the beginning and the ending really bothered me. The steps were inconsistent - the drums you were stomping to were the same each time, but each time you used a different number of stomps, and it just felt weird. Apart from that, it was okay, but kind of plain.
Tilt 2/3 The song didn't give you much to work with, and it made the single charts pretty uninteresting. The double heavy chart, however, was great - that stomp pattern I complained about in single heavy works much better across two pads.

Theme of Chun-li (Marvel Vs Capcom Ver.)
Presentation 2/5 Decent background image, but the text isn't that great. Make that glow smaller so it becomes an outline, and use anti-alias. I also suggest not using that font.
Second-hardest chart 7/11 Not bad. The long streams are acceptable, if not necessarily the best pattern possible. The jumps get kind of old. What was up with that hold, though?
Hardest chart 8/11 Kind of a soft song for an 11-footer, don't you think? Also, I think it was 10, not 11, and I don't recall 11 ever being a valid DDR rating under this scale (this is certainly not an 11 under DDR X's rating scale either). That aside, this was pretty lively and you accomplished what you were aiming for. The double-steps were fine, except for one of them that was rather painful. Also, having a step right at the precise end of a jump-freeze is not really DDR style.
Tilt 2/3 It's a decent file, but the song is a little too soft for me to feel it fits in DDR.

Final results
15 Step: 26/30
California Gurls: 30/30
Far Away: 30/30
Mama Used To Say: 30/30
Omnos: 21/30
Theme of Chun-li (Marvel Vs Capcom Ver.): 19/30
Posting Member

by Timer Rabbit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:04 pm

15 Step
3/5 - Presentation: Since Bracket 1, I didn't bother to look at the read-me's. Had what it qualifies, but I think the "15 step" title on the background to scoot up a bit, as the score boars will cover the title. (At least place at the middle or something. Appearance is so-so, but didn't attract me much.
8/11 - Second Hardest chart: The heavy chart suits the song's mood/genre more. It just felt a bit empty when I hold on to the freezes.
8/11 - Hardest Chart: Hmmm... Nothing bad in this chart. Like the read-me, I think I can play fine with no-bars. The only semi-funny part is the Freezes and jumps.
2/3 - Tilt: A different choice, but I won't mind a song like this with this challenge chart into DDR.

California Gurls
5/5 - Presentation: LOL Makes me miss summer already. Very nice and handy read-me. :) The graphics meets the standards for the DDR arcades and ooh a video! :) (Though I kinda got distracted by the video itself. I never seen it and never expect California to be full of candy... (FYI I live in Cali, so yea. :P) To the point I got distracted for a bit, haha~
9/11 - Second Hardest chart: No need to say much. Still carry the same interesting taste of stepcharts while making a little boogie
9/11 - Hardest Chart: Can't say it's good or bad, but I think I just have a blast playing a chart with a bit of jumps and other moves I can't speak of.
3/3 - Tilt: If looking for lisences with decent steps that I would even play, California Gurls is the best candy to beat~

Far Away
5/5 - Presentation: The moment I see that there is a animated banner, I was like "Yay!". The Background is okay, but pretty. Then hearing the music-same, I was like "OMG!!!" I LOVE Project Diva! Bringing this song and video into Best Mix 4 is a BIG PLEASURE for me to hoepfully not fail for the fans like me! :) So presentation meets the standards~ :)
8/11 - Second Hardest chart: Nothing special on it. But again there is nothing wrong that can cause a simfile to go havoc.
9/11 - Hardest Chart: I have to play twice for this one 'cause the BGM is a total eye candy for me, haha! Not as creative as the above song I rate on, but it meets the standards for a fun and decent DDR chart. :) I like the right timing for the jump-freestyle action. :)
3/3 - Tilt: Wish that Komami can ask Sega to make a "DDR: Project Diva" mix, because the video x DDR-interface is super-sweet. Meets the standards and MAN I want more Project Diva files like this!

Mama Used to Say
4/5 - Presentation: Uuuu~ Got read-me, and decent graphics (but the CD-title is a bit... Simple?). And a pity that the last-submition can't add the video. :(
7/11 - Second Hardest Chart: Eh it's like a heavy chart, only major arrangements. Though the same matching freezes are still here. Not a bad chart to have a bit of freestyle.
8/11 - Hardest Chart: Eh it's not that bad. I'm not into the 80's, but some parts are fun and well-fitting to the song.
1/3 - Tilt: Maybe you can add the video after the tournament? Then i'm sure it'll be decent for DDR. Well even without it, it did made it to the standards.

Ommos
4/5 - Presentation: Not much in the read-me but the general info. GFX is decent, and wow there's a video! Song looks interesting as well.
8/11 - Second Hardest chart: Okay. That chart is a bit better thant he real heavy chart.
7/11 - Hardest Chart: I'm not to sure if this long-run chart matches the song. But it is fun for my one-hand practice. So you get something at least.
2/3 - Tilt: Decent graphics and a video, but not sure if I want to see this on DDR. Stepmania, yea. Pretty nice song though. I would give a few bitty points if maybe you can add the translation of the song into the read-me. xD

Theme of Chun Li
2/5 - Presentation: URGH!!! Okay. This is going to get a bit personal. First, I should have told Hiro Konobu to make me write the Read-Me for the Graphics Division. As so you know, the GFX is RUSHED and I am NO graphics pro. In simple put: Crop and arrange the artwork stock from Safeborou, insert text with limited text effects from Photoshop Elements 3.0, oh and the "Art by _____" is a way I put credit for any artwork I found and use on StepMania. So that why I don't feel bad for the artist's efforts, and that it's how I did like how Renard did with his GFX in the MungyoDance series. :S So yea I deserve to get a whammy. T.T But to tell you, I enjoy doing some text arrangements, even though it is NOT my best work.
4/11 - Second Hardest chart: I'm still in the shock from the Presentatin branch. But the chart... It's so-so. But could use some work and maybe creativity. But at least it's paddable.
4/11 - Hardest Chart: I don't know how to rate on this one. I assume this is ment to be a BOSS CHART for a mix of DDR x ITG. :S (And eh. I'll work on to get a AA later. The shock from the Presentation comments made me feel like I got stabbed by a stake. Oh and not commenting on the final holds.
1/3 - Tilt: I know Hiro's works won't make it to the DDR Idol, but I wish there is a way to hire a better GFX artist to do the file for Hiro. If it wern't for me, he will get even more negative points, seeing that he can't make good ones either. (And I don't think he owns Photoshop either.)

Final Scores:
15 Step: 21/30
California Gurls: 26/30
Far Away: 25/30
Mama Used to Say: 20/30
Ommos: 20/30
Theme of Chun-Li: 11/30

Final words: Okay. I really like Far Away and California Gurls (even though i'm not into today's pop...). 3rd place is a tie with Mama Used to Say and Ommos. Chun-Li got hit really hard, even though I play a ton of Hiro's works before and work with him with my choppy graphics work. T.T But please be careful when to comment, 'cause I lurked at Best Mix 3 before, and even understand that my GFX need a TON of work! </3

Now hopefully i'll rate the next branch. After recovering from my shock.
Artist logo design by Lord Toon! (You rock!)
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Chart grading standards:
11 - Flawless chart. Floors me nonstop beginning to end. Unlikely to ever be found.
10 - Exceptional chart. Displays technical excellence along with engaging, interesting and creative patterns throughout.
9 - Excellent chart. Displays strong technical expertise with a few nitpicks. Patterning is entertaining, but may have brief periods with room for improvement.
8 - Great chart.
7 - Good chart. Technical aspects are generally good with a few noticeable flaws. Patterning is generally entertaining, but may lack creativity or interest at times.
6 - Above average chart.
5 - Average chart. Technical aspects may have some noticeable flaws. Patterning remains fun enough to be worth playing, but may be overly predictable and have significant room for improvement.
4 - Below average chart.
3 - Poor chart. Technical aspects may have some significant flaws. Patterning is bland throughout, or actively un-fun in parts, to a degree that would discourage you from playing the chart.
2 - Bad chart.
1 - Awful chart. Technical aspects may have severe flaws. A chart that is not fun from beginning to end; an incoherent, rambling mess.
0 - Severe technical errors that make a chart unplayable.

Presentation: 2 / 5 is average. Extras and attention to detail move that up. For example, a 5 / 5 file might contain a full set of single and double charts, good art, a lyrics file and a CD title. A 0 / 5 file breaks several rules regarding minimum presentation standards.

Tilt: At my whim. Most files get 2 / 3 unless I really decide I want to tilt a file. Mostly, I use this to single out music I hate :)

Most files will score between a 15 and 18 overall; a really good file will crack 20.

======================
DDR B2.1
======================

15 Step: 25 / 30

Challenge: 9 / 11
* My main complaint here is that there are numerous places where the patterns are just walking back and forth for a semi-extended period (e.g. 848262848). It works OK with the speed, but I'd like to see a bit more varied patterning in some of these places.
* Good use of crossovers.
* I'm not sure I would have gone with the freeze break around "measure" 58; it kind of breaks the flow.
* Still, a really fun chart overall.

Heavy: 9 / 11
* Again, my main issue here is that the positioning is a bit back-and-forth. It's worse towards the end - see measures 70 and 71.
* Nice use of rhythms. Overall, still fun.

Presentation : 5 / 5
* Good art
* 8 charts
* Good sample, if a bit unorthodox
* I'm wavering on this 5 because I would have liked to see even one more little extra, but I'm going to give it to you regardless.

Tilt: 2 / 3
I'm not usually a fan of art rock, but the rhythms on this gave you a lot to work with.

----------------------

California Gurls: 20 / 30

Heavy: 7 / 11
* My main problem with this chart is transition. Each individual run is fine, but none of them flow. It's not a problem per se at this speed, but it makes the whole chart feel disjoint. Given the simple, poppy nature of the song, the package really has to come together to stand out, and it just doesn't.

Standard: 7 / 11
* I'd watch out with that crossover in measures 43 and 44.
* I think the disjointedness is more acceptable in a Standard than a Heavy. Still nothing really stands out about this chart.

Presentation : 4 / 5
* Good art
* CD title
* 4 charts
* Good sample
* Video

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

Far Away: 22 / 30

Heavy: 8 / 11
* Just what we needed, another Freckles. I chose that as the comparison due to the crossovers, but this is a cookie-cutter 7 that would be good for warmup, cooldown or AAAing, but isn't going to be very memorable otherwise.

Standard: 8 / 11
* Bog-standard Standard.

* Good art
* Animated banner
* CD Title
* 4 charts
* Good sample
* Video

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

Other thoughts:
* Couldn't you have picked something from Skate 3 instead?

----------------------

Mama Used To Say: 19 / 30

Heavy: 7 / 11
* The opening is a bit quiet; consider waiting until measure 9 to start.
* This is probably a 6. It's really simple.
* I would have loved to see a chaos pattern to the chimes or whatever at the end. As it is, this is a sound chart, but not particularly interesting.

* The first four measures are exactly the same. The same thing comes up in reverse later.
* I'd probably avoid those crossovers in a 5.
* Again, nothing too memorable here.

Presentation : 3 / 5
* OK art
* CD title
* 3 charts
* Sample ends abruptly

----------------------

Omnos: 22 / 30

Heavy: 9 / 11
* A more interesting 7, for sure. A couple gallops, a few taps, even a few basic step-jumps keep it mixed up. There were a couple of places where the patterning was dry for maybe a measure or so, but it cleaned up quickly. Good job.

* I'd back off the double taps on Standard in favor of stationary 3 sets (e.g. 484); using the same foot twice in a row, even without movement, is harder than alternating feet.
* Still a decent chart, but not as interesting as the Heavy.

* Good art, although the song name should be more prominent than the artist
* 7 charts
* Bad sample
* Video

----------------------

Theme of Chun-Li: 12 / 30

Challenge: 3 / 11
* Yeah, the opening run's in the music, but I'm not sure you need the whole thing. If you want to go that way, and you want to go with the long in-place runs, at least put the transitions in places that warrant it, or at least on the measures, rather than the random places it changes now.
* Continuing on, there is no eye for foot placement or transition. The sixteenths are all lined up OK, but anything bigger than that shows no thought for player position. And the sixteenth runs alternate feet but otherwise just feel random.
* The song basically repeats itself twice, so that doesn't help.

Heavy: 4 / 11
* At least this time the opening transitions in a pattern, although now it contains a double-step that looks like a crossover.
* The step-jumps are kind of fun, but every single one leads with the right foot.
* The repeat has short freezes and pseudo-hands which are just kind of sloppy.
* It's a little better than heavy, but it's still repetitive, unpolished and randomly patterned.

Presentation : 3 / 5
* Basic art
* 5 charts
* Bad sample
* Video

A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:15 am

Timer Rabbit wrote:Ommos
4/5 - Presentation: Not much in the read-me but the general info. GFX is decent, and wow there's a video! Song looks interesting as well.
8/11 - Second Hardest chart: Okay. That chart is a bit better thant he real heavy chart.
7/11 - Hardest Chart: I'm not to sure if this long-run chart matches the song. But it is fun for my one-hand practice. So you get something at least.
2/3 - Tilt: Decent graphics and a video, but not sure if I want to see this on DDR. Stepmania, yea. Pretty nice song though. I would give a few bitty points if maybe you can add the translation of the song into the read-me. xD

Final Scores:
15 Step: 21/30
California Gurls: 26/30
Far Away: 25/30
Mama Used to Say: 20/30
Ommos: 20/30
Theme of Chun-Li: 11/30
3rd place is a tie with Mama Used to Say and Ommos.

4+8+7+2=21
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:55 pm

All scores for this sub-bracket counted. And I got the 21 score for Osmos. :)
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin