DDR - Bracket 2.2 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

DDR - Bracket 2.2 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR - Bracket 2.2 Reviews

by JukuGuy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 pm

DDR BRACKET #2 - Set 2

San, MIKI-CHANG, Shouchiro - FU-FA / Greg

Presentation 3/5
Banner could do a little work. Don't just lay it out in some neat fashion, do something creative with it. Although the background is very pretty.

Heavy 6/11
A bit too safe, it really needed some breakout to it. Most of the time it was pretty much generic. Tighter placing would do too.

Challenge 7/11
Okay, I actually enjoyed this more. I like the stream patterns, its bits and turns. I didn't really like what you did around bar 31, with the out of nowhere jumps. For such a mellow, happy-go-lucky song, you don't want to actually overexaggerate the steps. Not only cause its challenge either. Yeah, the jumps pretty much pushed it a bit too far. But if this were to be judged from an ITG perspective, that would be .. Normal? (Again I'm no ITG expert); but needless to say, this isn't the ITG bracket either.

Tilt 1/3
I'll give you a point for the attractive, glowy background. Teehee.

Total: 17/30

Noisia remixed by Scratch Perverts - Groundhog (Beat Juggle) - Groundhog / Jammitch!

Presentation 4/5
Polished graphics, plus the one included from Dj Hero. I actually despise (for lack of a better word) lyrics being put into a simfile because their such a distraction.

Standard 8/11
Alright, it follows the yepadeyapyap as I mentioned earlier. So basically this time, I'll just point out the parts I didn't like. On my perspective, I think you could've done something else with those stream arrows starting in bar 37. A tad too safe for my liking. Bar 71, could be the same pattern as you did with those single 4ths that followed the simple snare drum effect. Or maybe left that bar as nothing cause it's only that beeping noise that's going on. Uhh, kinda repetitive, but it needed to be that way since basically all your charts follow the instruments. Decent.

Heavy 8/11
Since the song is a bit cliche itself, the scratches, the noise, the british (or so I think) dude that talks during those long pauses. Thus, the steps were pretty much obvious and straight-forward; so don't try to think you're in any kind of surprise. In other words anyways, neat placing for such a "boss" song with all those 16ths/12ths/24ths notes.

Tilt 2/3
Point, because Dj Hero is.. THE BOMB. And another for, a decent overall package. Not a full mark; a bit gimmicky for my taste.

Total 22/30

EDIT: Jeez, I'm all over the place with this one. My apologies. :S

Akiko Shikata - Katayoku no Tori / Nusa

Presentation 4/5
Having the same title font and same size as the author's text tells me on how less of an effort you've done with that banner. Similar to Fu-Fa, the background however, is prettyful. I'll give you a mark for that trippy video, otherwise.

Standard 9/11
Same as I said about heavy. Just more simple, relaxing. I enjoy.

Heavy 8/11
So you've made this a 24th beat sort of chart. (Interesting...) Uhh, based on that, it was pretty hard to have a mark on you for this one, because it just solely reflected on stepping through the vocals. I find it pretty impossible to step such a song as this one. So, I guess I'll just have to give you props for setting up a neatly constructed chart, as well as having balls to tackle a song such as this one.

Tilt 2/3
This simfile had that unique quality, something irrelevant to any other simfile I've played so far.

Total 23/30

Quartissimo feat. martina - love SYMPHONY / Juub_005

Presentation 5/5
Masterclass graphics, that cheesy eurofest video.

Standard 7/11
Just nitpicks on some little things that bugged me. That part where you used those two short freeze arrows during that first stop was great. That fitted. The second time you did it, you kinda overdid those two a bit. I think that was it, (LOl) Well the minor part. The major part is, I couldn't feel out of anything from this chart. Maybe its cause of the monotonous beats, the steps, I don't know. As a whole, it just felt.. Dull

Heavy 10/11
Unique set of patterns. I love how those long freezes of arrows later on connect with those streams. Nice pivital 'dance' movements, different movements I'd say. Just great.

Tilt 0/3
Cheese. It's like a 'Venus' commerical song reject. "(Imagine you and me, we'll fly above the sea)." I didn't like the fact that when I had to re-evalute the steps, I was forced to loop play this song over and over...

Total 22/30

Deluhi - Revolver Blast / tsugaru7reveng

Presentation 2/5
DDR Universe-esque graphics. (Usually I could care less about them, but since it's a competition, might as well think differently). So, no brownie points there. I'll credit you though for the awesome sauce quality video.

Standard 8/11
I think you were double stepping (not the bad one everyone seems to be flickering about) some parts too much. Other than that, good.

Heavy 9/11
Those repetitive left right left right and so forth streams actually work for this song. It reminds me of those fast DDR indie rock songs, like Volcano, but obviously a miles better chart than Unreal. Everything flowed well up until that slowdown part on bar 42. I think you could clean that up a bit. Maybe add less arrows, or remove those freeze arrows. As a whole anywho, its just the slowdown parts I didn't like; But the rest are pretty effortless.

Tilt 0/3
Stop yelling at me!!!! :(((((

Total 19/20
Last edited by JukuGuy on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:03 am

JukuGuy wrote: Noisia remixed by Scratch Perverts - Groundhog (Beat Juggle) - Groundhog / Jammitch!

Challenge 8.5/11
Compared to heavy, this is no different. Just more difficulty. I rather enjoy the patterns more here than heavy. Speaking of it being DDR-related, is this scale (11 foot) referring to the new X scale? (...)

Groundhog has no Challenge; only an Edit. Judge the two hardest non-edit charts. For Groundhog, this is Standard and Heavy. Also, whole numbers only per BLueSS' post above. (I have a hunch that this will lower my score, but w/e :))

The edit should be an 11 on a sort of blended DDR Extreme / ITG difficulty scale.

I agree that it's gimmicky, although I think all boss songs should be somewhat. But I don't think it's cliché, at least not in its gimmick. And it's really that gimmick that screams "boss song". I know this chart won't be for everybody, but I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. :D

And if you think the lyrics are annoying, you should be glad I didn't do intentionally annoying BG animations to persuade you to quit like I was thinking of. :twisted: I understand the sentiment though - I hate random movies as an "extra" myself.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Miki » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Grading
Presentation - /5 - Given based on background, banner, background video if any.
Second Hardest Chart -/11 - Usually played second.
Hardest Chart - /11 - Usually played first.
Tilt - /3 - Given for extra (and good) charts, informative/funny readmes.
Comments: Has no bearing on grading. Overall impression.

Marks
+ Good things.
- Bad things.
~ Neutral things.

FU-FA - 23/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Nice banner and background.
+ Lyrics!
Second Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
- Flows nicely, fun patterns with variety. I like the end how the steps go with the rise and fall of the bells.
~ The clap-clap thing is starting to grind on me.
Hardest Chart (Challenge) - 8/11
+ Fun streams with the occasional 16ths.
- I don't think the jump stream was really necessary.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Standard, Light, and Beginner charts.
+ Doubles! Although it has a few leaps that I think I wouldn't be able to do.
Comments: Sana makes everything sound so magical!

GROUNDHOG (Beat Juggle) - 21/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ cool looking banner and background.
+ Lyrics!
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 7/11
+ Gets pretty fun towards the end and the overall rise in difficulty fits.
- I have been pretty quiet about this, but I extremely dislike how freezes hang an 8th over another step, as seen towards the beginning of this chart.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 8/11
~ The steps feel fine, although it's quite tricky and sometimes too overwhelming for my taste (but I suppose that's the point).
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner charts. Both are nicely done.
+ Informative ReadMe.
Comments: Although this is slightly out of the ordinary with the long pauses, I can see this in DDR if it were a bit more polished.

Katayoku no Tori - 20/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Nice banner and background with nice fonts.
+ Background video.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 7/11
- Some parts feel understepped and sometimes patterns continue even though they don't fit well.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 7/11
~ I am not sure if I really understand the steps. Most of them seem to be vocal.
- The BPM stop seemed nice, but then the vocal sets back in and it just felt awkward.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner charts.
+ Informative ReadMe.
Comments: I don't really get this file. It seems very rushed.

love SYMPHONY - 21/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Background video.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 8/11
+ Plays much like the heavy chart. Still kind of fun.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 8/11
~ The freezes seem quite essential to this song, but using it for the violin and during the vocals makes it hard distinguish the feel of the violin and the vocals part.
~ I don't quite agree with the BPM slow down.
Tilt - 1/3
Comments: Glorious Eurovision!

REVOLVER BLAST - 23/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Background video.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 9/11
+ Loads of fun. The plain freezes during the first slow down makes it much more dramatic.
- One minor thing is the freeze-step-step-step scheme got old and I wish there were a bit more variety.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
+ I didn't like this chart at first, but the second time I played it I find lots of things I like. Lots of fun runs, and even the double taps I hated at first fits the music very well.
Tilt - 1/3
Comments: I thought I would dread playing this file, but it's actually really fun. It certainly grew on me really fast.

Overall comments: FU-FA is a clear winner for this subbracket - nice presentation, fun steps, magical Sana. I was expecting Groundhog to be the next top one, but I guess REVOLVER BLAST was just too fun to ignore.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Miki wrote:- I have been pretty quiet about this, but I extremely dislike how freezes hang an 8th over another step, as seen towards the beginning of this chart.

They overhang by a 16th, not an 8th. The freezes are one full beat in a pattern of 3/16th steps, and I made them that way because if they were any shorter you wouldn't actually have to hold them to get full points, which is one of my pet peeves. You're allowed yours, just know it's done with intention, and it's not slop.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Xythar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm told they actually tightened up the grace period on freezes in DDR X2, interestingly.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm

FU-FA 23 / 30
4 / 5 - Presentation
Nice graphics. Lyrics were a great inclusion.
9 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
More reasonable and DDR-style than the S-Challenge. This chart definitely should have been the highest difficulty. Felt just a bit repetitive, but in the end it really fits the music well.
8 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I kind of felt stuck to the pad playing this chart. It's very ITG-ish, something you can see in its use of jumps and 16ths, and probably would have fared much better in the ITG tournament. Flow's really good, though. I doublestepped the first few measures, but it felt totally natural to do so.
2 / 3 - Tilt
I like the song :) I was curious about how your S-Standard was, so I tried it, and it's more of a 6-footer, but not bad. There's a lot of candling in all the charts; you could stand to mix things up a bit. I really liked the D-Heavy, but it was a bit stretchy and felt like the same rhythms as the singles.

Groundhog (Beat Juggle) 25 / 30
4 / 5 - Presentation
Lyrics are absolutely necessary in this sim the way the steps are set up, I'm glad you put them in. Graphics are good, but don't seem quite coherent thematically.
9 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
That ending was really hard for an 8. The freezes are a bit complicated for DDR (I understand why you're doing it, and I've done the same before). But other than that, splendid, and a great companion chart for the S-Heavy.
10 / 11 - Hardest Chart
The only beef I have with this chart is that it feels so very ITG. Aside from that, it was amazing fun. Awesome setup against the lyrics, strong placement against the music.
2 / 3 - Tilt
Love this song. Great step placement sells me so fast.

Katayoku no Tori (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Opening) 19 / 30
5 / 5 - Presentation
Everything's here. Except for lyrics, but I won't mark off for that.
5 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
Instead of being the slow, soothing 5' I really wanted to see, it was a somewhat overstepped 6' with not much placement variety. I'm kind of sad.
8 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Follows the lyrics much too much. In some places it's OK, but there's drum lines that could be used instead of irregular parts of verses. It'd tie everything together much better.
1 / 3 - Tilt
Triplets <3, and it's the perfect song for them. I wish the charts had been more polished for it.

love SYMPHONY 21 / 30
5 / 5 - Presentation
Banner/still BG looks a little goofy, but that's just my opinion. Inclusion of the BGV makes up for most of it ;)
7 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
It started out really nice, but when the half-BPM section started, the chart began to lose a lot of its focus. Some strange patterns going on there. I can't put my finger on it.
8 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I like the use of freezes to force crossovers. I don't really like how run-dependent the steps were, and how much the violin was used. But somehow or other, it worked.
1 / 3 - Tilt
It's a cool song. But then again, I tend to enjoy Eurovision/DDR fusion, so yeah.

REVOLVER BLAST 21 / 30
5 / 5 - Presentation
BGV and nice simple graphics.
7 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
This is harder than most eight-footers I've come across. Those sudden crossovers. Ouch. But what are you gonna do with a song like this?
8 / 11 - Hardest Chart
It's a more fun NGO, but it's definitely more like a 10-footer. That's basically it.
1 / 3 - Tilt
I was going to say I don't like this song, but then I remembered how much I play Dawn of the apocalypse on PIU and gave it up.

Overall:
Groundhog (Beat Juggle) 25 / 30
FU-FA 23 / 30
love SYMPHONY 21 / 30
REVOLVER BLAST 21 / 30
Katayoku no Tori (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Opening) 19 / 30
Image Image
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am

FU-FA
presentation- 4/5
Nice graphics. I really like the bg. It would've been cool to see the pop'n character involved in the graphics, somehow.
heavy - 10/11
really nice chart. it had a lot of variety and went with the music very nicely.
challenge- 6/11
This felt really overdone- like it was difficult purely for the sake of being difficult, especially with the jumps. I don't think the difficulty of the steps really fot the song very well. I was okay with the 16ths, but it was the crazy jump streams that killed this for me.
tilt- 3/3
I'm giving you a full because the heavy chart is awesome. I'd definitely play it repeatedly at the arcade.
total - 23/30

Groundhog
presentation - 4/5
The graphics are pretty cool. watching the lyrics between the steps was kind of cool, too.
standard- 10/11
I really like this chart. It was a good standard chart for a boss song. It's challenging, but not so hard that it would shatter the confidence of an up and coming player.
heavy- 7/11
This was an interesting concept. I liked the beginning, but I didn't care for some of the step placement and useof jumps towards the end.
tilt- 3/3
I'm giving you full points because I love the unique concept of this simfile and also the awesome standard chart.
total - 24/30

Katayoku no Tori
presentation- 5/5
I like your multi-colored text in the title and the bg vid was nice, too.
standard- 7/11
This was okay. I like your use of breaks, allthough it did come off a little karaoke-ish.
Try not to hug the vocals so closely with your steps, also, the part around the pause is pretty akward.
heavy- 8/11
This wasn't a bad chart at all. There were couple areas I didn't care for (particularly around the bpm pause), but i enjoyed the overall product. It went with the music nicely and wasn't overdone.
tilt- 2/3
I like the unique song choice. Also, thankyou for not making an overcooked challenge chart.
total -22/30

Love Symphony
presentation- 5/5
Nice graphics. I really like your text for "symphony". Love the vid,too.
standard- 9/11
I like this chart a lot. It does have some similaritiesto the heavy chart, but it also has enough to make it uniquely it's own chart. I also like it being a 7, but a fairly easy one. You don't see stuff like this in DDR too much anymore.
heavy -11/11
Wow. I love how you used the pause and I also love your use of freezes. Really fun and unique chart here. It has some fun, but tricky patterns that will keep players coming back to try and master them.
tilt- 3/3
a definite keeper.
total - 28/30

Revolver Blast
presentation- 5/5
I like the graphics and the bg video
standard- 8/11
I like what you did here with the progressing difficulty as the song goes on. I do think it needed
a little more punch, but it was still a good chart.
heavy - 9/11
I like what you did here a lot. The steps fit the music nicely and it's a challenging 9 that isn't
stupidly difficult. Some of theareas are kind of repetetive, but it's still a cool chart, overall.
tilt- 3/3
Pretty cool sim here. I'd definitely play this again.
total- 25/30
Posting Member

by Timer Rabbit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Okay. Peeking this bracket and I SEE BATTORA! <3 So I have to do this even though i'm pretty worn out from writing my votes in DDR Bracket 2.1.

FU-FA ("Fly Up, Fly Away", for those who don't know what FU-FA ment.)
5/5 - Presentation: Pretty nice and dreamy graphics. :) Though sad that there is no Pop'n character art. Q_Q But it meets the standards with the Read-Me added. :)
8/11 - Second Hardest Chart: (Note i'm still in shock and full of jitters.) The chart is good and slightly not like my version of FU-FA or a close cousin of "White Lovers".
8/11 - Hardest Chart: Since this is a Challenge chart, I understand that you want to put your hardest steps into FU-FA. But those jumps are a bit to much for my taste and difficulty. But overal, the chart is like what how I vision and did my own FU-FA chart a long time ago. (When PmM15 came out.)
3/3 - Tilt: Not sure if the Challenge chart will make it to DDR, but you just had my vision when making a "Sequel" to "White Lovers", which appeared on DDR Extreme. <3 So either way with neat GFX works and a read-me, you pass.

Groundhog
(Hey Jammitch, are you going to do one of those video reviews again?)
5/5 - Presentation: Thanks for the read-me and nice "grungy" (lolwat?) GFX~ Though I don't think putting the text on the corner of the background graphic is a good idea, since that is where my score bar is covering at. (FYI i'm using one of k//Eternal's themes... Specifically the AOI:reSAPHIRE theme.)
9/11 - Second Hardest Chart: Okay perfect placing of steps and such. Do I need to say more before my brain gets raped?
9/11 - Hardest Chart: TBH: That is a cleaver chart for a BOSS song! I can't see nothing wrong when I get this "ahahaha.wav" on my face. Can't say it's good or bad, but it's good to pass with a laugh.
2/3 - Tilt: I want to see this being played on pad. There are some flaws, but the rest is good and again got a good laughing juice for a few seconds. xD

Katayou no Tori
(That is when my Umineko no Naku Koro Ni references comes in...Be warned...?)
4/5 - Presentation: BATTORA!!! (Twice I said his name by now.) Decent graphics and the hot manz in the GFX... But I think the arrows and/or life bar for 2P will block his poor face. Oh and just noticed the font size relationship with the song title and artist title. Work on that a little please. D: BUT, I give more pts for the high-quality video for the uber-fans! (Yes I went fangirl squee. :S)
8/11 - Second Hardest Chart: It was okay, and it would be a ideal foot level for heavy.
9/11 - Hardest Chart: Why do I seriously like this chart for a 147 BPM song... I think it sort of fits I guess. Can't see what's wrong with it, but I sure want to play this on pad 'cause Umineko x StepMania = A trollfull of fun. But in standards of DDR rules... I guess it's acceptable for those who want a 8-footer on a non-sugar high song.
2/3 - Tilt: Work on place Battler a bit better and I would give you love. I like the video quality (like Mashmallow from Bracket 1) too, so you get that 2 Pts. Oh and if Umineko fans want to collect files like these, I sugegst this simfile for your collections~ :)
OTHER: Did you know that there's a Exit Trance remix for Katayou no Tori? If you (Nusa) are reading this, I would love you more if you can step that too. (Like a challenge-only chart of the song like how DDREX did their works...)

Love SMPHONY
4/5 - Presentation: I like the font for the graphics. Very pretty. Background is full of meh though. Could use some creativity here, but it passes. Oh and nice vid~ Oh and thanks for the read-me. I think i'll look up at the font you used~ :)
9/11 - Second Hardest Chart: Same as Heavy. Only lighter. Again still interesting enough for it to pass.
9/11 - Hardest Chart: Kinda slipped on the holds. :S But it's a good chart. Just got distracted by the (great) video.
2/3 - Tilt: Overall, I like the banner more than the background. Song choice is very nice for DDR and like the video. (And I like classical remixes too~)

Revolver Blast
(Shifting to 2.5 speed for this. Normal songs I go for 3 speed.)
5/5 - Presentation: Graphics it's simple yet fits the theme. So it's acceptable. :) Video is in nice quality, which I like~ <3 Oh and had a read-me~
10/11 - Second Hardest Chart: Even the standard chart fits. What. The only thing I slipped off is the BPM changes.
10/11 - Hardest Chart: Whoh. Total brain fart! But it follows well with the guitars/bass... Perfect for your insane BPM-change (though not in a crazy way) boss song. Though the only thing I don't like (personally, not as a whole) is the BPM changes! X_X But I guess that is something worth playing over and over...
2/3 - Tilt: Eh. Loud visual kei.. If people like this kind of crazy songs like this onto DDR, it pass. Though my brain will go crazy after finishing Bracket 2.2 votes. :S I'm just not a fan of the OMG BPM changes.

Overall scores:

FU-FA: 24/30
Groundhog: 25/30
Katayou no Tori (can I just call it "Seacats"?) : 23/30
Love SYMPHONY: 24/30
Revolver Blast: 27/30

Overall: I did not expect the scores to end like that. Personally for a picker's choice, I like my Seacats. But Revolver Blast had a nice boss feel for the metal fans. Second place for ANOTHER Boss song with Groundhog. 3rd place end up a mix between FU-FA and Love SYMPHONY. But I think overall this Bracket is my favorite. :)

Now I should stop and take a break. Hopefully i'll work on DDR 2.3 tomorrow.

P.S. Please don't take my "<3" so seriously.
Artist logo design by Lord Toon! (You rock!)
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:59 pm

All scores for this sub-bracket counted.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin