Negative BPMs?

Re: DDR - Bracket 2.3 Reviews

by t7r » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:44 am

...and here it is

Alejandro (Don't call my name)
Lady Gaga
BPM 099

Presentation: 1/5
Though the banner is probably intended to look like some of Lady Gaga's recent album covers, the result turned out quite bad. I think that there would be a bit space around the text then the banner would look better IMO.
The background is pretty much a resized version of the art of the single; I didn't like it either. Everything looked pixelated.
The audio is too soft though. Looks like someone forgot to increase the volume by 6 dB after cutting it in Sony ACID Pro?! Correct me if I'm wrong. The song cut is horrible, it got quite off-rhythm towards the end.
Syncing is bad too. I tend to miss steps just because of timing. There are also parts where I can't tell if a step is really an 8th or a 16th.
Second Hardest Chart: 7/11
Some parts were good, but as #Infinity said, most of the chart was overboard with karaoke. Some of the karaoke parts were good (the ones toward the end of the song specifically). Some of the freeze arrows do not really match with the song.
Hardest Chart: 5/11
I really didn't like this chart. As stated in the Presentation part, I couldn't tell if a step is an 8th or a 16th. A lot of the 16th runs are really unnecessary and don't follow the rhythm. I didn't like the overusage of the freeze arrows in the middle of the song as they just don't fit with the music at all IMO.
Tilt: 1/3
Aside from providing a video, I don't see why I should give this simfile additional points though. Sorry Loki but you need improvement in presentation and step creation. I look forward to a better version though. :D
TOTAL: 14/30

Ghosts n Stuff
Deadmau5
BPM 064~128

Presentation: 3/5
I like the banner, but for some reason, I don't really like the background. Sure it looks like the banner, but I'm not really fond of how the text was placed in the background. Wish it had a bit more variety though.
Song cut was great, but the slowed down part was a bit too long. BPM changes were appropriate like the IF YOU WERE HERE remix in DDR X2.
Second Hardest Chart: 10/11
This chart could've been perfect. I noticed that a freeze arrow was a bit offbeat with the song. Other than that, the chart is great overall. Nice job.
Hardest Chart: 9/11
Pretty much the same reason as above. Love it, except for a few offbeat freeze arrows. Could've been better if it followed the rhythm.
Great job making very interesting charts. +1 for you. :D
TOTAL: 23/30

Gibold (Scandalous Untld. remix)
Cardopusher
BPM 142

Presentation: 5/5
I like the banner, background, everything. Song cut was awesome too. Great job!
The graphics remind me of Chewphoria's graphics for some reason.
Syncing is great too. AAA'd Expert on my first try.
Second Hardest Chart: 10/11
The steps here are perfect for a beginner who would want to try out more difficult patterns. There's this part with 16ths or 12ths that would easily throw off the player but nonetheless good job.
Hardest Chart: 11/11
For a 9-footer, this wasn't retarded. It's also very unique and has variety. The chart is unique in such a way that the steps aren't found in any ordinary DDR song, with the gallop-stream-jump combination which was executed very well. It also has variety in such a way that aside from the gallop-stream-jump combo, the 12ths were done well and they follow the music. Perfect.
Tilt: 2/3
This is for making a decent simfile with decent steps and a decent presentation.
TOTAL: 28/30

Monster oh Monster
Blue Monster and Bikki
BPM 150

The banner and the background look good, but the text is a bit too bright in such a way that it's not that readable from afar.
Props for the creativity in making your own video though.
Syncing is perfect. Song cut felt quite long but that's probably me.
Karaoke overload. I didn't like the freeze arrows in "you can't say no!"; they were too offrhythm and they don't follow the music at all.
Again, karaoke overload, though the chorus portions were well-done. Nice job using 16ths properly.
For being creative with the video; it's kinda cute too. Here's your 2 points.
TOTAL: 21/30

Sound Above My Hair
Scooter
BPM 148

Presentation: 0/5
Banner looks cheap and way too effortless. Not much detail, and it's too pixelated. The Alejandro banner actually looks better compared to this.
Background is also horrible IMO. Still quite pixelated.
The last part of the song sounded horrible. Seemed like a bad song cut right there.
Song went offsync towards the end.
Reminds me of Get me in your sight (AMD CANCUN MIX) Expert without the freezes. There's just... a lot of freezes. Pretty average chart.
Hardest Chart: 6/11
Some 16ths and freeze arrows (more specifically the ending parts of the longer freeze arrows) don't follow the music. Not to mention this is very similar to the Standard chart. This chart could've been better executed without all those freeze arrows.
Tilt: 0/3
Not enough reason to give bonuses.
TOTAL: 13/30

Recap:
Gibold (Scandalous Untld. remix) - 28/30
Ghosts n Stuff - 23/30
Monster oh Monster - 21/30
Alejandro (Don't call my name) - 14/30
Sound Above My Hair - 13/30
Last edited by t7r on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by Miki » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Grading
Presentation - /5 - Given based on background, banner, background video if any.
Second Hardest Chart -/11 - Usually played second.
Hardest Chart - /11 - Usually played first.
Tilt - /3 - Given for extra (and good) charts, informative/funny readmes.
Comments: Has no bearing on grading. Overall impression.

Marks
+ Good things.
- Bad things.
~ Neutral things.

Alejandro - 13/30
Presentation - 0/5
- Plain banner with just text.
- Audio seems to be too soft.
~ The background just goes black for me. Is there a way to fix this?
- Song is cut at an awkward spot.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 6/11
- I think most of the steps are supposed to go with the vocals, and if so, some of them aren't even on the vocals. For example, the "around you" part with the freeze.
Hardest Chart (Challenge) - 7/11
~ Some fun parts towards the beginning, but the rest is not very organized.
Tilt - 0/3
Comments: I was excited to see this song on the list of entries but this file is just disappointing and poor.

Ghosts n Stuff - 23/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Nice looking banner and font. Matches the song nicely!
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 8/11
~ For some reason I expected a less freeze heavy chart, but oh well. Still somewhat fun.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
+ Simple file, but very enjoyable. Nice variety and fun patterns.
~ The freeze going with the sound effect scheme got old really fast and pretty much to the point where I don't want to step on the freeze out of the fear of triggering that creepy high pitch sound effect.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner charts.
+ Informative ReadMe. I didn't know Valex was attractive.
Comments: Nicely done. I could see this in a DDR mix.

Gibold - 24/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ More radioactive green! But nice to look at overall.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 9/11
+ The steps made me feel like I was playing another song. Simple, but fits the music very well.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 9/11
~ The beginning was dreadful, but the middle was super fun and the patterns were spot on.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Doubles!
Comments: The song starts to grate on my ears after a couple listens, but it does make for fun steps.

Monster Oh Monster - 20/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Plain but happy graphics.
+ Background video! Although it's terrifying.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 7/11
- Lacks variety and even more dreadful than playing on heavy.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 8/11
~ Follows the vocals a bit too much for my taste. But other than that, has some fun moments.
Tilt - 1/3
+ Light chart.
Comments: I agree with your boyfriend.

Sound Above My Hair - 17/30
Presentation - 1/5
- MSPaint banner and background. At least use the transparency option for the font.
- Song ends abruptly.
Second Hardest Chart (Standard) - 7/11
- The beginning plays just like heavy because the freezes are the same. Not very original.
Hardest Chart (Heavy) - 8/11
~ Overall okay. The steps for the vocals at the beginning were annoying, but later the steps gets a bit more fun.
Tilt - 1/3
- Doubles! None of them seems to be finished though. Are we supposed to jumpstyle during the time the steps end and the music ends?
Comments: Not a very polished file.

Overall comments: Ghosts n Stuff and Gibold...the green triumphs! Although I personally like Ghosts n Stuff more, I have to give it to Gibold for the fun steps and patterns.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:17 pm

DDR B2-3
Alejandro
Presentation 0/5 The banner looks okay, but it needs way more effort. Don't just use an album/single cover for the background. Also, the cut is bad (random ending), with the volume too low and those random loud sounds near the end -- why???
Second-hardest chart 7/11 This is okay, but some of the 16th rhythms are rather awkward. Following the song closely worked reasonably well, for the most part.
Hardest chart 3/11 Not great. You just seemed to be trying to follow the vocals too precisely. There's a good amount of double-steps that seem to have no purpose, and the intensity is not justified when you start using a lot of jumps.
Tilt 0/3 The loud noises in the audio are completely unprofessional, as is the sync that seems to wander, and it's apparent this was rushed. And I don't recall having seen "Don't Call My Name" as part of the title anywhere...

Ghosts N Stuff
Presentation 3/5 Ehh, it's ok. It gets the job done but I'd have liked to have seen more done with the text, especially in the BG.
Second-hardest chart 6/11 This is a song with a lot of rhythm, but you just played it straight. I realize it is Standard, but it used to be called "Trick" too... do a little more with it. I didn't find any particular part too interesting, except maybe a part with the freezes at the beginning.
Hardest chart 7/11 This also could have been a little trickier. I liked it better the second time I played it, so it's not bad overall, but some things still bother me. Listen carefully to the song - there are two freezes in this in particular that I feel do not hit on the right note. And in the slow part, it feels like you were having trouble deciding what to follow.
Tilt 1/3 Download the radio edit or something - the mixtape end is awkward. This is a great song with a lot of quirks and the charts don't really play with you like the song does.

Gibold (Scandalous Untld. Remix)
Presentation 3/5 Is this DDR font fan day or something? The banner actually kind of works, but the background is tacky with the effects on the Gibold text.
Second-hardest chart 9/11 This was for the most part great, but I felt like it didn't lead to anything in the end.
Hardest chart 6/11 Some parts are interesting - I like the crossovers combined with the stomps. A lot of this is overkill. I think you got a little too excited with the "break!" part, and the parts with all the 12ths are a bit too straightforward. I mean, they're hard, yeah, but not too creative. This seems a little anticlimactic as well. I wasn't really buying what you did here.
Tilt 1/3 The tempo should really be half in the beginning. The beat feels like it's half-tempo, and on top of that it would've given you somewhere to go with the song and delivered the "Break!" part more forcefully. Could've been more exciting.

Monster Oh Monster (Remix)
Presentation 3/5 That looks like "B1144," not "Bikki." Your "remix" and artist text in the banner is too small, and the color scheme doesn't really work. Overall it's bland, but professional.
Second-hardest chart 3/11 Your positioning was really, really dull. And this was more like 4 feet, not 6, and not a good 4. It just felt like the same thing over and over again.
Hardest chart 5/11 Repetitive rhythms and very repetitive positioning didn't help. Karaoke in the chorus the first time wasn't a good idea. Some parts of this were good, but a lot of it felt rather common.
Tilt 0/3 Not feeling the steps, and the song cut was too long (which hurt you and added to the repetition).

Sound Above My Hair
Presentation 0/5 This really, really distracted from the colorful, rave feel of the song. Why on earth would you make a set of graphics whose color scheme is basically shades of gray, to this song? The random text box in the BG and the banner are really not great.
Second-hardest chart 6/11 It's okay, but a bit harder than it needed to be. And still it could've felt a little more exciting. That part with the freezes that end just before the next freeze-jump: leave that in ITG.
Hardest chart 3/11 The fact that the chart description is "Copied from" tells the whole story. This felt way too similar to the standard. There was one part that was really, really good (the only part that felt significantly different), but that was it.
Tilt 0/3 Starting with a copied version of an easier chart was a really bad idea. Also, your presentation - why???

Final results
Alejandro - 10/30
Ghosts N Stuff - 17/30
Gibold (Scandalous Unltd. Remix) - 19/30
Monster Oh Monster (Remix) - 11/30
Sound Above My Hair - 9/30
Posting Member

by t7r » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 am

complete review now up finally
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 am

Alejandro
presentation - 0/5
The graphics are pretty tacky and the volume on your song is waaaay too low. Also, don't put "steps by..." in the sub title. That's way tacky. You don't see stuff like B4U (steps by...) in DDR
2nd hardest chart- 6/11
This was decent. A little too karaoke in some parts, but it shows potential.
hardest chart- 5/11
This needed a little work. I would have gone with standard/heavy instead of heavy/challenge. A really fun standard chart could have been made for this instead of and somewhat overdone challenge chart.
tilt- 0/3
This needs a lot of work. There's a free music editing program called audacity and you can use it to raise the volume of your song. Also, stop putting "steps by..." in the sub title.
total - 11/30

presentation- 4/5
Your graphics are pretty nice and I like your bg video. Did you make that yourself? It's funny/creative and goes with the song nicely. Only negative here is that the song cut is a little long.
2nd hardest chart
7/11
It was a little repetitive, but I still liked it okay. It reminded me a little of some of the standard charts in DDR Max with your use of freeze arrows.
heavy- 8/11
This was a pretty energetic song that went with the song pretty nicely.
tilt- 2/3
This is a pretty nice package, overall. The bg vid is especially interesting.
total -21/30

Ghosts n Stuff
presentation - 4/5
nice graphics, good song cut, good job overall in this department.
2nd hardest chart- 7/11
These were a little dull, but they fit the song okay.
hardest chart- 7/11
This was an okay chart. Nothing was really memorable, but nothing was really offensive, either.
tilt- 1/3
I might play it a few times again in the arcade
total -19/30

Gibold
presentation - 3/5
The graphics are okay, but some of the effects on the text are kind of tacky. Song cut is good.
2nd hardest chart- 10/11
This was really cool. I especially like your use of freeze arrows that go with the music nicely. One of my favorite charts in this bracket.
hardest chart- 9/11
The steps are pretty intense, but I think it fits the song. The song does have a menacing sort of sound to it.
tilt- 3/3
I'd definitely play this again. I think it's the best in bracket 2.3
total- 25/30

Sound Above My Hair
presentation- 0/5
Tacky ms paint graphics and what's up with the ending of the song cut?
2nd hardest chart- 6/11
This has some potential, but there were a lot of parts with tacky karaoke freeze arrows. Those make a file look amateurish.
hardest chart- 5/11
This felt like standard, but with more 16ths thrown in in some parts.
This could've been a little more creative.
tilt- 0/3
Not something I'd play again.
total - 11/30
Posting Member

by pyroko » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

have at you.

Alejandro
Hardest Chart: 7/11
decent, you did what you could with the song, and i liked most of it. the ending started getting a little wonky though.
a good step down from the hardest. but still nothing great.
Presentation: 0/5
only two charts, pretty terrible graphics, a low quality video that does not play in stepmania, and absolutely terrible audio quality. oh, and don't put "steps by ___" in the song title; it is not part of the song's title, and just looks tacky.
Tilt: 0/3
i don't like this song to begin with, you had decent charts for it, but the quality of everything overall hurts those pretty bad.

Total: 14/30

Ghosts n Stuff
Hardest Chart: 8/11
i really wanted to like this more, but there is way too much that doesn't tech for me to.
same as above, this was a good standard chart for the most part, but suffered from the same problems.
has all its charts, simple graphics, but they work decently. end of the cut sounded like it was going into another song, or was i hearing things?
i like the song itself, and with a little work, this could be a really good file.

total: 20/30

Hardest Chart: 10/11
a great, varied, fun chart. i quite enjoyed most of it, especially the mini-jacks.
Second Hardest Chart: 9/11
also good, if kind of boring/generic. also agree that it should be rated lower (i would say that is a five)
Presentation: 5/5
easy, medium, and hard charts present, clean, simple graphics that work well with the song. loved the video.
i wanted to hate this file so much because of the song, but the charts are good enough i just can't.

total: 25/30

Gibold
Hardest Chart: 10/11
some awkward stepping here and there, but this was very fun overall.
Second Hardest Chart: 8/11
also good, but still with some awkwardness to it. and i think it is underrated for its difficultly due to some of the rhythms involved.
Presentation: 4/5
all charts present, graphics have too much neon green for my taste, but they look good regardless.
don't like the song itself; but i would play this again just for the charts.

total: 24/30

Sound Above My Hair
this was pretty fun. easy, but enjoyable.
Second Hardest Chart: 8/11
a little odd stepping, but a good, easier version of the Heavy; do think it should be rated a seven though.
Presentation: 1/5
has all charts, graphics are pretty bad though, are you the same person that stepped Future Destination in the itg division? same comments regarding the background.
good enough for the song, and i like Scooter, so i would play this again.

total: 20/30

Overall:
Monster Oh monster: 25/30
Gibold: 24/30
Sound Above My Hair: 20/30
Ghosts n Stuff: 20/30
Alejandro: 14/30
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Chart grading standards:
11 - Flawless chart. Floors me nonstop beginning to end. Unlikely to ever be found.
10 - Exceptional chart. Displays technical excellence along with engaging, interesting and creative patterns throughout.
9 - Excellent chart. Displays strong technical expertise with a few nitpicks. Patterning is entertaining, but may have brief periods with room for improvement.
8 - Great chart.
7 - Good chart. Technical aspects are generally good with a few noticeable flaws. Patterning is generally entertaining, but may lack creativity or interest at times.
6 - Above average chart.
5 - Average chart. Technical aspects may have some noticeable flaws. Patterning remains fun enough to be worth playing, but may be overly predictable and have significant room for improvement.
4 - Below average chart.
3 - Poor chart. Technical aspects may have some significant flaws. Patterning is bland throughout, or actively un-fun in parts, to a degree that would discourage you from playing the chart.
2 - Bad chart.
1 - Awful chart. Technical aspects may have severe flaws. A chart that is not fun from beginning to end; an incoherent, rambling mess.
0 - Severe technical errors that make a chart unplayable.

Presentation: 2 / 5 is average. Extras and attention to detail move that up. For example, a 5 / 5 file might contain a full set of single and double charts, good art, a lyrics file and a CD title. A 0 / 5 file breaks several rules regarding minimum presentation standards.

Tilt: At my whim. Most files get 2 / 3 unless I really decide I want to tilt a file. Mostly, I use this to single out music I hate :)

Most files will score between a 15 and 18 overall; a really good file will crack 20.

======================
DDR B2.3
======================

Alejandro: 14 / 30

Challenge: 5 / 11
* Closer to an 8 than a 9.
* The rhythms are OK, but the patterning is rough. There's just a couple of awkward double-steps in there, and the other parts tend to tilt one way or the other too much. This needs a lot of polish. I remember reading somewhere that this was rushed; assuming I remember correctly, it sure seems like it.

Heavy: 5 / 11
* Pretty similar comments to the Challenge. OK (but predictable) rhythms and unpolished patterning make for a pretty mediocre chart.

Presentation : 2 / 5
* Basic art
* CD title without transparency
* Two charts
* Good sample
* Video (doesn't play in SM for me)
* Audio WAY too quiet
* Abrupt cut
* What's with the loud noises in measure 37?

Tilt: 2 / 3
I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

Ghosts n Stuff: 21 / 30

Heavy: 8 / 11
* Pretty sure the note right before measure 7 should be on the 8th note, not the sixteenth.
* I generally thought this was a solid chart. It didn't do anything too remarkable, the rhythms were a bit predictable, and there were a few rough patches but for the most part it was pretty fun.

Standard: 8 / 11
* Again with measure 7.
* A pretty solid standard chart. Not really much to point out or complain about; strictly by the numbers.

Presentation : 3 / 5
* Good art
* 4 charts
* Sample could be cleaner

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

Gibold: 18 / 30

Heavy: 6 / 11
* The rhythms are interesting, but I definitely think there's a few places where the patterning is rough. See masure 17 - the vast majority of players will leave the left foot on down and be messed up for the second run. * Same with the gallopy parts - it's hard to do this without some quick double-stepping.
* There's some fun to be had here, but it needs some critical polish.

Standard: 6 / 11
* While I think this chart had more solid fundamentals, it also lacked some of the charm of the heavy, mostly in regard to the rhythms. So it about evens out.
* I don't think I'd advocate doing the full turn (4862684) for a Standard player.

Presentation : 4 / 5
* Good art. I see that copy of 2070 Polyester I dug up somewhere is still getting good use.
* 4 charts
* Good sample - actually more interesting than the song is on the whole

----------------------

Monster Oh Monster: 21 / 30

Heavy: 7 / 11
* The rhythmic parts are fun, but the patterning is a bit repetitive and could use a bit more turning, especially during the runs.
* I wish more of the 16th bursts had patterns like 824 and less had ones like 842 that require a full-pad foot swing.
* The song's also a bit repetitive.
* Overall, it's solid, but definitely could use a few tweaks.

Standard: 7 / 11
* There really isn't much to say about this chart. It's totally formulaic. Not a surprise in sight.

Presentation : 5 / 5
* Good art
* 3 charts
* Sample needs tweaking
* I'm assuming that video (really panning over stills) is homemade, as I don't see it anywhere else in reference to the song. Full credit on that one... although I'd recommend doing it as a BG animation rather than an AVI next time. :)

Other thoughts:
This is kind of the deconstruction of the bubbly girl/deep-voiced man bubblegum pop genre, isn't it?

----------------------

Sound Above My Hair: 13 / 30

Heavy: 6 / 11
* The opening of this song is a great example of when karaoke steps aren't a good idea. There's plenty going on in the music; doing it this way just leaves tons of gaps.
* The burst in measure 23 and 24 doesn't line up with anything.
* After that, the rhythms clean up somewhat. It's still not great - the patterning needs some polish and I think it could definitely use a few more gallops in there - but it's much improved.

Standard: 3 / 11
* Large swaths are identical to Heavy. If you only write one and a half stepcharts, I'll grade you as such.
* The patterns that are changed don't turn nearly enough.
* In measure 33, you start a repeat of the chorus with the 8th notes, but bring the 16ths back one measure later, which just feels odd. It's OK to use the 16ths sparingly in Standard, but don't foist them on the player in the middle of a part that doesn't change without any reason.
* A step-jump is not a good way to close a Standard chart.

Presentation : 2 / 5
* Basic art
* 4 charts
* Bad sample
* Abrupt cut
* Heavy is titled "Copied from"

A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

I just got to read through this year's version of the age-old double stepping discussion. :P

So few things change around here. haha

Anyway, all scores counted for this sub-bracket.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Previous