ITG - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

ITG - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: ITG - Bracket 2.1 Reviews

by Valex » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 am

Bloody Tears (IIDX Edition) 21 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
Pretty graphics, pretty video, full set of charts, nice!
09 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
I liked this a lot better than Expert. My main complaint was that during the first 8th run (during the organ part) it seemed a little forced, it would have worked better with a less intense pattern. Also during the main chorus there were a few parts where there was a gap between the notes; it was only like a quarter note long but considering how intense the song is it still felt weird to not be pushing arrows. But other than those minor complaints I thought this was pretty good!
05 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Around measure 12, there's an awkward jump that might force you to doublestep.
The organ part after the speedup was pretty weird; you're pressing the same 3 arrows, but the organ's going all over the place, it would've worked better with a more free-flowing stream (I realize you did this later on but it still should be the same both times)
The 16th part was missing a LOT of rhythms. And I mean a lot; you basically only stepped half the song. And it'd be fine if this was the DDR bracket, but this isn't the DDR bracket. The slowdown was missing a lot of rhythms as well; it should have been a 16th run but you made it an 8th run because...
Also that many jumps that quickly isn't really fun; change some of them to single notes (the rhythm goes like DUN-DUN-dunDUN-DUN-dun, and the lowercase duns should be single notes)
Overall I didn't like it that much :(
02 / 03 - Tilt
Good presentation, good hard chart, and I feel bad for giving you no points before so here's 2 points

DJ, Take Me Away 17 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
Graphics were cool I guess, also full charts.
06 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
It seems like with the beginning scratching part you always seem to never want to carry on a stream of notes into the next measure and you always end it with a jump or something. It's kind of odd.
At measure 12 that jump-hold went on for too long, there should have been two 16ths before the drill started and if you're gonna have a 16th drill put all of the 16ths there!
Measures 8, 23, 40, and 48 are all the same musically and they're stepped completely differently each time.
Overall it was very inconsistent rhythmically.
06 / 11 - Hardest Chart
The scratching part was understepped; 16ths where there should have been 24ths, some scratching ignored, etc.
I hated the hand part, I have no idea why there were even hands and it would have made a lot more sense to follow the synth instead of the beatboxing.
The main chorus was good, except for a few parts where the flow of the 8th notes didn't work; for example, measures 33-34 were just a mess. Doublecheck where you place the arrows.
Also at the very end, the crossovers into the jump seem really unfun.
Needs a lot of work imo
01 / 03 - Tilt
I wasn't a big fan of this.

End of World 25 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
I thought the text was kind of ugly on the graphics, to be honest. Also light, standard, etc. and a doubles chart!
08 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
The mines were a little intense in this, especially for a 9 footer; you always have to lift it up right after you press it, and that's a little too much.
The 16ths in measure 44 were a little extreme; I liked the roll before it, though it would have been better if you used two arrows. However I DIDN'T like the roll in measure 62, and the roll in measure 70 should both start on the same beat, one arrow should be a quarter note and one should be a 16th note right after it.
Other than those things I was a pretty big fan of this, though.
09 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I started off pretty disappointed, because there were some awesome amen break patterns in the beginning you didn't follow. In addition, the notes were wrong in measures 13-16, though you started following it correctly afterward.
I liked how you followed the guitar in measure 22, though I'm not sure why you added mines, though I'm not really perturbed by it because the mine part does look fun.
I LOVED measures 38-46, and thanks for not following the part where the drums just spaz out, haha.
I didn't like the jump-3 16ths-mine part, but you quickly switched it back up to the way it was before.
Overall, once this chart got going, I really liked it! :)
02 / 03 - Tilt
Not perfect, but very good.

Krazy Krokodile 27 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
Two sets of graphics, pretty charts.
09/ 11 - Second Hardest chart
In the beginning, there's nothing going on except the vocals, but you used freeze notes instead of following the vocals, and that was weird.
I didn't like the use of gallops in the first verse, it seems like they're just there cause you insist on having notes on the quarter/8th notes at those points and you'd be better off getting rid of them.
In the beginning of the main chorus there's an awkward doublestep, which I'm guessing was just a mistake.
No other problems; good job!
10 / 11 - Hardest Chart
My only real complaint with this was in the beginning, where you didn't follow the vocals and just used long freezes instead (again).
Other than that it was basically perfect, I have no complaints.
03 / 03 - Tilt
Best file in the bracket.

MENTAL MELTDOWN 15 / 30
04/ 05 - Presentation
Graphics were good looking but unfitting with the song imo (I don't see how you could listen to this song and not visualize like technological computery graphics). Also full charts, etc.
06 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
First off, what was up with measure 25? Afronova walks in 16th streams aren't fun
Measures 43-47 were more crossover heavy than Expert. This is bad.
Also there were a lot of parts where you had a lot of stuff to follow but instead you just put in a bunch of 16th streams. It was a big letdown, like... I don't have a good analogy but you get the point.
I was pretty disappointed with it.
05 / 11 - Hardest Chart
There were so many parts of this song that seemed way too hard to be fun, and I will list them right now:
- the Afronova walk 16ths into jumps at measure 25
- the parts where there were 4 triplet jumps in a row
- measure 40 (I can't even describe it, it's just a disaster)
- the quick crossovers in measure 47
- Basically, you were ridiculous with the crossovers

Overall, you went way too overboard with trying to make this hard, and didn't really focus on making it fun.
00 / 03 - Tilt
Far too hard to be fun, at all.

Overall ranking:

1. KRAZY KROKODILE (27/30)
2. end of world (25/30)
3. Bloody Tears (21/30)
4. DJ, Take Me Away (17/30)
5. MENTAL MELTDOWN (15/30)

Ugh this took so long
Last edited by Valex on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:26 am

This bracket needs more reviews! Please review it. :)
Site Admin

by jammitch! » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Chart grading standards:
11 - Flawless chart. Floors me nonstop beginning to end. Unlikely to ever be found.
10 - Exceptional chart. Displays technical excellence along with engaging, interesting and creative patterns throughout.
9 - Excellent chart. Displays strong technical expertise with a few nitpicks. Patterning is entertaining, but may have brief periods with room for improvement.
8 - Great chart.
7 - Good chart. Technical aspects are generally good with a few noticeable flaws. Patterning is generally entertaining, but may lack creativity or interest at times.
6 - Above average chart.
5 - Average chart. Technical aspects may have some noticeable flaws. Patterning remains fun enough to be worth playing, but may be overly predictable and have significant room for improvement.
4 - Below average chart.
3 - Poor chart. Technical aspects may have some significant flaws. Patterning is bland throughout, or actively un-fun in parts, to a degree that would discourage you from playing the chart.
2 - Bad chart.
1 - Awful chart. Technical aspects may have severe flaws. A chart that is not fun from beginning to end; an incoherent, rambling mess.
0 - Severe technical errors that make a chart unplayable.

Presentation: 2 / 5 is average. Extras and attention to detail move that up. For example, a 5 / 5 file might contain a full set of single and double charts, good art, a lyrics file and a CD title. A 0 / 5 file breaks several rules regarding minimum presentation standards.

Tilt: At my whim. Most files get 2 / 3 unless I really decide I want to tilt a file. Mostly, I use this to single out music I hate :)

Most files will score between a 15 and 18 overall; a really good file will crack 20.

======================
ITG B2.1
======================

Bloody Tears: 14 / 30

Challenge: 4 / 11
* There's a few big things working against you here. Namely, that song has obvious rhythms, that I've played the IIDX chart a bunch, and that I've seen other simfiles for it.
* The opening patterns are a bit dull. Most of the other 8th runs aren't much better.
* I like the one crossover step jump in measure 11, but I think the step jumps are better when they don't involve two feet moving.
* I could do without the speedup. (The slowdown and pause are good though.)
* I'm not sure about measure 28, but you could probably take it a few ways.
* Measures 30-37 have what the ITG players would call a "lack". The notes that are cut out feel like they've been removed for no reason.
* The jump patterns in 38-45 just feel random. For example, 40 and 44 have no body shifting at all; 42 has a dangling crossover.
* The run before the slowdown is an improvement.
* Nitpicky: for measure 55, I'd probably have gone with just two holds - one on the first beat and one on the third - and extended them over each other, as I there's not actually a note of the same prominence at the fourth beat. If you wanted to use that note, there's a 16th note run waiting instead.
* An oddly missing note in measure 57.
* For the slowdown, this is a Challenge, so consider using the 16th note stream.
* Not much point in the freeze at the end either, unless you're going to extend it past the pause.
* The end is like the middle again; unsurprising considering the song.
* Despite the bevy of comments, it's generally an OK file, but I've seen better to this song. I think the positioning could use a bit more thought, and I'd like to see a more thorough exploration of the rhythms in a Challenge chart.

Heavy: 6 / 11
* I think this is an improvement on Challenge. The simplified rhythms fit better here, and while I still think the patterning could stand to be more creative overall, I think that it was definitely more fun in places. I liked the half-speed Drop Out run in measures 20-25.

Presentation: 4 / 5
* Good art
* CD title
* 5 charts
* Sample could use some tweaking to loop cleanly
* Uncut IIDX song
* IIDX video

Tilt: 2 / 3
I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

DJ, Take Me Away: 25 / 30

Challenge: 9 / 11
* I like the crossover in measure 5.
* The handplants are generally good, and in a good place in the song to use them. I'd recommend having less of the hands on Down though, as that usually requires contorting or turning away from the scren. Down's a better arrow for the foot to be on.
* I could do without the spins, and I also might advocate against the 16th not step jumps in a 16. And, well, I still hate short freezes.
* That said, I thought the sixteenth runs were well used, varied, and not overwhelming. The whole song kept it fresh the whole way through. I see enough room for improvement to not give this a 10, but it's probably my favorite ITG file out of all of them (mine excluded :D) It reminds me a lot of the ITG 10s I actually like.

Heavy: 10 / 11
* I would have liked to see a few more 16ths in measures 5 and 6.
* The middle and freeze parts were nice cut-downs from Challenge and retained the creativity without the difficulty.
* It keeps things mixed up throughout the end run very well too.
* I really have nothing bad to say about this one. The best chart in the competition so far

Presentation : 3 / 5
* OK art
* 5 charts
* Sample could use a few tweaks

Tilt: 3 / 3
For absolutely nailing it.

----------------------

End of World: 17 / 30

Challenge: 5 / 11
* You don't quite nail the chimes in measure 12.
* I'm a little confused about the positioning in measures 15 and 16.
* I'm not a fan of the mine parts. In most of them, you have to pick up a foot to avoid the mine, then move your planted foot to start the run. Doable, but probably ends up with the player hitting a phantom note or doing a high jump.
* I'm not sure about the freeze in measure 33 either, or the jump in 37.
* I also don't think the handplants fit.
* Measures 59 and 60 need to improve transition. The player will cross over at the end of 59 due to mines, but then have to go backwards into 60.
* I like ending the freezes to the last two notes. Clever.
* I don't mean to be so negative; it's not bad per se. But the rhythms are erratic (in how they line up with the song) and the patterning is just mediocre.

Heavy: 7 / 11
* I enjoyed the step jumps, but the two in measure 15 just come out of nowhere considering the steps on either side.
* I have the same concerns about the mines and the offbeats in 33 and 37 here as well.
* I generally think the patterning is better than Challenge, but it's still just too erratic for my tastes.

Presentation : 3 / 5
* Good art
* 5 charts
* Bad sample
* Uncut IIDX song

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

Other thoughts:
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this song, but I don't think it steps well.

----------------------

Krazy Krokodile: 20 / 30

Challenge: 7 / 11
* A little surprised you left out a run at measure 18 - one with 24ths in it, no less! There's a few other places where runs could be added if you saw fit.
* Measure 58 could use a bit cleaner transition.
* I like the freeze-jump parts.
* Good use of turns and crossovers, although I think the patterning could use a bit more polish on occasion, especially towards the beginning.
* Feels a lot like a MAX-era Eurobeat chart, of all things.

Heavy: 7 / 11
* Measures 50 and 51 need a turn somewhere.
* Most of the runs are good, although there's a few transitions that are a little off.
* Overall, solid, but needs some polish.

Presentation : 4 / 5
* Good art
* 5 charts
* Good sample

----------------------

Mental Meltdown: 19 / 30

Challenge: 8 / 11
* The patterning on this was really tough. It took me a few tries, but I always found a way through it.
* I'm not 100% sure about the rhythms in measures 12 through 14.
* This grew on me as I figured it out. It's pretty fun.

Heavy: 5 / 11
* The even measures in the opening should have the step on the third beat 1/16th later.
* Measures 7, 8 and 9 are identical. I think they need to be toned down for this difficulty, but they at least need to be original.
* The eighth runs and rhythms before the break are pretty fun.
* Same with measure 25. Good in a 12, way too hard for a 10.
* I don't think I agree with the rhythms after the pause though. It seems like the notes omitted are chosen at random.
* 43 to 46 are again too similar.
* This chart suffers from two related problems: too many concepts cribbed from the challenge, and inconsistent difficulty because of it. I'd much prefer to see new rhythms on Heavy applied to make a solid 9 rather than grabbing parts of Challenge to make a 10 (and the Afronovas are better suited to an 11 or 12).

Presentation : 4 / 5
* Good art
* 5 charts
* Good sample

A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:11 pm

All... 2.... reviews counted. Thanks for the 2 reviewers for this sub-bracket. :)
Site Admin