Review your OWN Bracket - DDR B1

Negative BPMs?

Review your OWN Bracket - DDR B1

by The Period » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am

REVIEW YOUR BRACKET!

:idea: Why a place to review your own bracket?
Because YOU also deserve the rights to say something about those files on your bracket.

:arrow: Rules:
-Review other files in your Bracket except yours.
-Always Give others feedback to fix their mistakes.
-Be RAW but polite when judging
-Please don't start a fight. I consider you mature to accept judgement. I don't wanna see another drama like last year.

Simmers allowed to post a review here:

:arrow: [DDR-B1:1]
wellian
(simmer of Engine Sentai Go-Onger)
#Infinity
Skyline
Powazny czuowiek
k~Chmurek

:arrow: [DDR-B1:2]
djKEN
jukuguy
sanchny
Lisek
The Period
aurae

:arrow: [DDR-B1:3]
cpubasic13
CoreyBlaze
Kewing
MixMasterLar
Miki
Ronin

Everyone else may comment simmer's judgement.
Enjoy.
Last edited by The Period on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

Re: Review your OWN Bracket - DDR B1

by Loki » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

Racism with ITG?
This means you dont care about all... i think...
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by The Period » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:17 am

No way, I will make more topics for B1-ITG, B2-DDR y B2-ITG, but I'm at work and don't have time enough for all this right now.

@Miki: I misunderstood concepts. Sorry for my bad english.
Last edited by The Period on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by Miki » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:50 am

The Period wrote:No way, I will make threats for B1-ITG, B2-DDR y B2-ITG, but I'm at work and don't have time enough for all this right now.

Point proven.
Posting Member

by Loki » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Ok ok im sorry
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Here are some reviews for the other files (excluding mine) in my bracket:

DISAPPEAR:

"Not A Medium": (10/11)
This was pretty fun. It's kind of like a crossover between a Light and Standard chart, so it'd be excellent for players who are practicing to break into Standard. The note placement was consistent and smooth throughout. Probably the only nitpick I'd make would be that I'd prefer a lighter approach to the slowdown phrase, since the lack of a backbeat makes it feel like it should be a break, not a continuation of similar difficulty to the rest of the song.

"Not A Hard": (9/11)
I really liked this chart. It's very simplistic and not particularly challenging, but it doesn't really need to be. Placement was really good, though you probably could've experimented with a few double-steps to make it a little more exciting. This didn't really blow me away or anything, but it was quite satisfying.

Presentation: (3/5)
I don't really like the graphics. While they're nice and crisp resolution-wise, the title text looks quite goofy and I don't like the banner's layout. Using a photo of the song group is appropriate enough, but also rather safe. Mp3 quality and other miscellaneous details are good, and Beginner + Light are included.

Tilt: (3/3)
Probably not the greatest file I've ever played, but I'd definitely play it again.

FINAL SCORE: (25/30)

ENGINE SENTAI GO-ONGER:

Standard: (7/11)
This was technically sound throughout, but not particularly special or exciting compared to other speed/hardcore charts. The use of jumps on the 8th notes during the verse was a little awkward to me, and the freeze-jumps that force the player to crossover their foot repeatedly stands out a lot difficulty-wise. The progression in this chart was okay, but not prominent enough to make it stand out. I know that there usually isn't as much room to be creative in easier stepcharts, but still I felt like you could've worked this to feel a little less safe and predictable, as it seemed like something was missing. Not bad, just not that creative.

Heavy: (9/11)
I liked this quite a bit, actually. It's a very streamy chart, but it has very sound note placement and a logical pattern structure, making it work quite well. I thought it was odd, however, that the ending of this was actually the easiest area, as it makes the chart feel a little anti-climactic. I'd probably suggest using the jump patterns during the first half of the chorus, and the twisty streams during the second half instead. Much more creative and fun than Standard, though.

Presentation: (3.5/5)
The banner for this looks overworked and a bit unpleasing to the eye imo. I'm not a fan of the font choice for the title text, and I feel like there's just way too many different colors all over the place, making it look a tad messy. The background is okay, but the miscellaneous logo needs to go, as it makes it look unofficial and obviously-ripped. The rest is fine.

Tilt: (2/3)
Not really the mots original simfile, but a solid one, nonetheless.

FINAL SCORE: (21.5/30)

IN THE FIRE:

Heavy: (8/11)
A pretty solid, if fairly expected eurobeat stepchart. The synth was very good for the most part, but I really don't like the forced jumps that were thrown into the streams. For the most part, the placement was quite sound, but many patterns felt a bit generic to me, especially during the chorus. The use of crossovers and jackhammers add some nice variety and make the chart more fun, but I'd maybe add a few more breaks to better-distinguish the vocal phrases.

Challenge: (5.5/11)
This is the type of eurobeat stepchart that I generally really don't care for. The nature of this chart either felt very forced (anytime the synth came in with 16ths) or just really uncreative (during the vocal phrases). Most of the placement was okay (yikes at that 16th lick right before the chorus, though), but in my opinion, it feels like this is just hard for the sake of being hard and isn't particularly fun.

Presentation: (3.5/5)
The graphics for this are well-laid out and easy to read, but a bit formulaic-abstract to me. The grainy drop shadow looks pretty bad in the background's title text, and I really think it'd look better if you just dropped the small inner-shadow. The rest of this is good, though.

Tilt: (2/3)
A solid, if not entirely creative eurobeat simfile.

FINAL SCORE: (19/30)

MARSHMALLOW:

Standard: (10.5/11)
Very nice overall! This had excellent flow, good placement, and a nice difficulty progression. Although some note patterns started to feel a little stale early on, the chart became more interesting and variable later on, making it a fun package that retains its fun value throughout.

Heavy: (9.5/11)
Like Standard, this started off a bit samey, but became progressively more interesting as it continued. I felt like you could've been a little craftier with the note placement (i.e., by adding some a few-doublesteps in-between the streams) to break up the repetition and hold my attention a bit more, but it was still a very technically sound chart that definitely did the song justice.

Presentation: (4/5)
I really find the text in these graphics to be quite tacky - there's way too much bevelling and the shadow is too deep, making it blend poorly with the backdrop image. It doesn't really match the very cartoony vibe of the song, either. The inclusion of a video and Beginner + Light charts bump up this score a little more, however.

Tilt: (3/3)
A very cute file that I'd definitely keep!

FINAL SCORE: (27/30)

SONG OF STORM AND FIRE:

Standard: (5/11)
While I'd say this is definitely playable, it's got quite its share of rough edges and needs some work in many areas. First of all, the difficulty of the steps feels really inconsistent throughout; while the opening felt incredibly easy and like a Light chart, the inclusion of patterns such as long crossover streams and double step-jumps pushes the difficulty way beyond that and constrasts very awkwardly. Second, I thought that the freeze notes were often held too long - most of them should have ended on the same note that the next one began and not gone on for another 8th-note. Finally, I found this chart to be very karaoke in a not-so-good way. While it's generally effective to mostly follow the melody directly, I didn't think the clunky feel of this stepchart matched the smooth drive of the song. In my opinion, the notes patterns should have been generally more consistent and progressed smoother throughout.

Heavy: (7/11)
This works a bit better, in my opinion, though it could still be improved in some places. The earlier phrases are again structured somewhat clunkily, with an overly-stark constrast between long streams and breaks that didn't match the mild, subtle feel of the song. Freeze notes were still held for too long, and sometimes their placemend would be overworked. The later half of this chart, however, was actually quite fun. I liked the smooth and consistent note placement, and the variety was approrpiate enough to fit the track.

Presentation: (1.5/5)
The banner's construction is a bit awry to me, as it's made to look as if the artist title is really the song title and vice versa (since the former is larger and placed above, not below the song title). The inner shadows look bad, and the font choice is uninteresting. The image used in the background looks quite nice, though I think the text is a little too unsubstantial. BlueSS required you to include a readme, which you did not, so I'm docking an additional point for not entirely following the rules. Also, the banner's song title does not match the song wheel.

Tilt: (1.5/3)
Definitely needs more work to be a fully-polished package, but it also shows a lot of promise.

FINAL SCORE: (15/30)
Posting Member

by Greg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:22 pm

I know I'm not supposed to post in here, but sorry, I just need to say something.
First of all, seems a lot of people haven't read the topic with the rules carefully. You DON'T judge the edit charts, they DON'T count...
Secondly, what kind of feedback for a max tilt point is: "Probably not the greatest file I've ever played, but I'd definitely play it again."? xD
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Greg wrote:Secondly, what kind of feedback for a max tilt point is: "Probably not the greatest file I've ever played, but I'd definitely play it again."? xD

I'm generally used to factoring extras into the presentation grade, not the tilt grade, which I kind of just rate based on my overall impression of the simfile, regardless of the individual scores I gave it elsewhere. I'm not actually entirely sure if this is the case in this contest, but that's how I'd best guess it.
Posting Member

by Skyline » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:32 am

#Infinity wrote:The grainy drop shadow looks pretty bad in the background's title text, and I really think it'd look better if you just dropped the small inner-shadow. The rest of this is good, though.

yeah.. :cry:

For whatever reason all art for this tourney came out crap in between PS render->png save, and I didn't notice it until after submission/deadline.

Just need to put in more QC time in the future. gotta take it on the chin this time 'round
Posting Member

by Wellian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:50 am

#Infinity wrote:the title text looks quite goofy

Care to elaborate? I know the layout is horrific (best I could be bothered to do in 30 seconds, any more and it would have been far too much effort for a placeholder) but is it the wrong font, or effect...?
The newbies don't get me. :(
Posting Member

by Lisek » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Just wanted ot give my Trzy Grosze about bracket DDR 1.2

Cheer Train - it has one of ugliest graphics in whole history of Best-Mix. Expert chart feels so ITGish that at first I thought that this was this contest joke entry.

Don't Stop Believing - this song gives me pre-Extreme feeling. Pretty nice graphics, good steps.

Our Songs - simplistic graphics. Flow feels bad in this song.

Paranoia HRX - I'm f-ing proud of this simfile. I love playing it ;)

Sai wa Nagareta - once again song with so-so flow.

ZAMURAI - it's weird song. Awesome musically but totally not fitting in DDR music terms. Heavy is super fun. Expert is meh, just hard.

Also, totally NO LOVE for all those mp3 files on all songs other than mine. Shame on you D:
Posting Member

by Hainaut » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Wellian wrote:Care to elaborate? I know the layout is horrific (best I could be bothered to do in 30 seconds, any more and it would have been far too much effort for a placeholder) but is it the wrong font, or effect...?

Yeah, the font I thought was a little too quirky to fit the song, but I also thought that the black/white gradients used in both the fill and the outline looked rather tacky. It's just a bit confusing and unpleasing to the eye, in my opinion.
Posting Member