ITG - Bracket 1.2 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

ITG - Bracket 1.2 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:59 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: ITG - Bracket 1.2 Reviews

by pyroko » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Ain't that Funny - Sick YG

Hardest Chart:8/11
enjoyable, chart seemed to flow decently well overall.

Second Hardest Chart:7/11
a good, solid chart, but not that fun overall to me.

Presentation:3/5
all charts present, graphics are nothing outstanding, but they get the job done.

Tilt:1/3
while the Expert chart was fun, for some reason the song had me constantly glancing up at the time bar wondering when it would be over.

Total:19/30

Empire State Glory - Dirty Androids

Hardest Chart:11/11
okay, i really, really enjoyed this chart, a lot.

Second Hardest Chart:10/11
i enjoyed this chart quite a bit as well.

Presentation:4/5
simple graphics, but they work well. only having two charts prevents it from getting a 5 here though.

Tilt:3/3
will definitely be playing both these charts again. song itself was good too.

Total:28/30

Perfume - Perfume

Hardest Chart:7/11
this was kind of fun, okay hand placement, but i didn't care for the mines in it very much.

Second Hardest Chart:8/11
not bad either, liked it better than the expert.

Presentation:4/5
decent graphics, but only two charts though.

Tilt:2/3

Total:21/30

Toccata - Banya

Hardest Chart:7/11
not bad, but really not that great either.

Second Hardest Chart:6/11
meh, didn't really like this one much. got bored with it.

Presentation:2/5
only medium, hard, and expert charts. looks like you just pulled the graphics straight from Pump.

Tilt:1/3
an okay file, but probably not one i would play again.

Total:17/30

Yakusoku - MUCC

Hardest Chart:6/11
you had some good ideas, but it didn't tech very well at all.
Second Hardest Chart:8/11
this was a good Hard chart, and a fun seven.

Presentation:3/5
only two charts, graphics are okay, but nothing great.

Tilt:2/3
i'd play the Hard chart again, but that is about it.

Total:19/30

Overall:

Empire State Glory - Dirty Androids: 28/30
Perfume - Perfume: 21/30
Ain't that Funny - Sick YG: 19/30
Yakusoku - MUCC: 19/30
Toccata - Banya: 17/30
Posting Member

by Telperion » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:09 am

with a tip o' the hat to Lisek for review template.

Ain't That Funny 15 / 30
2 / 5 - Presentation
Graphics are OK, but not amazing.
8 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
Eh, it's OK. The 16th bits are probably a bit much for the 8'. It got a bit repetitive towards the end.
5 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Feels really overstepped. I got pretty super surprised at that first run in the beginning, and then I got stuck in some faux spin freezes. The patterns in the verses are much better than the ones in the chorus.
0 / 3 - Tilt
This sim wasn't all that memorable. Now, I know how awful that sounds, and I hate when people say it to me, but I just didn't like the way the charts played out, and it reminded me of my own early sims and trying to cram too much into each difficulty.

Empire State Glory 20 / 30
4 / 5 - Presentation
Graphics are pretty nice. I love the font choice for "Dirty Androids" and the skyline you used.
6 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
Sure, it's a 9' with over 500 steps, but it's not even a hard 9'. It just kind of goes on and on. And on. It's a lot of eighth-note streams without much to break it up - it would have benefited from a bit more air. Placement's OK.
9 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Overall a pretty strong chart. The rhythms I missed when I played the easier chart are all in this one. I really like the way the run at the end builds in difficulty.
1 / 3 - Tilt
Meh, I feel like I'm giving you hell, but I made an Empire State Glory sim a couple months ago that was admittedly full of BPM changes and stop gimmicks, and while playing yours I can't help thinking things like "okay, maybe that drum figure will be stepped this time" or "there should be a break here" and being sad when they didn't happen. This is a decent simfile in its own right, but I feel there's plenty of room for improvement.

Perfume 27 / 30
4 / 5 - Presentation
Graphics are very nice. Cute effect on the BG.
10 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
Solid. A very light chart that really goes well with the song. The placement makes the chart here - even and readable. I hope it doesn't get hated on a la Baby Seal.
10 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Again, very nice placement and lightness. I was really happy enough with the 9', but this chart is a good next-level-up from that. Crossovers might be a bit tricky in context, but I like them that way.
3 / 3 - Tilt
The S-Hard chart just made me super happy in general. The only thing that would make this better is a doubles chart to go along with it. Enjoying the song itself didn't hurt either.

Toccata 17 / 30
3 / 5 - Presentation
Video from PIU NXA, nice. Banner could use some song/artist info.
7 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
I like this chart better than the S-Expert. More interesting rhythms, even if placement's a bit boring. Feels like more of an eight-footer than a nine-footer.
6 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I think it's a 9' (not that that matters). Very straightforward, easy to read, but not all that much going on. I would have liked to see the steps follow the musical progression a bit, but this is OK.
1 / 3 - Tilt
This is one of my favorite PIU songs, but I really just don't like what you've done with it - not enough punch.

Yakusoku 18 / 30
4 / 5 - Presentation
The banner/BG combo is uncomplicated, but still pleasing.
5 / 11 - Second Hardest Chart
More of an eight-footer. Those spins aren't easy to read in time. This chart is going to get rated very badly by most people because it's much more of a DDR-style chart in terms of placement than ITG-style.
7 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Interesting placement ideas, executed with varying degrees of success. The beginning worked out fine, and I enjoyed the crossovers. The middle got really spin-convoluted and I couldn't read it at all.
2 / 3 - Tilt
I like the song, and I like the fact that you tried some turns and stuff that most simfile makers just avoid in general. String them together a bit better and you've got my vote for sure.

Overall:
Ain't That Funny 15 / 30
Empire State Glory 20 / 30
Perfume 27 / 30
Toccata 17 / 30
Yakusoku 18 / 30
Image Image
Posting Member

by x0_000 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Bracket 1.2 needs some lovin' (caveat: The normal score I'd give for a solid chart is 10/11, 11/11 is for the stuff that I really really really like [that's 3 reallys!])

Ain't That Funny

Presentation - 3/5
The banner idea is good, but has some room for improvement. The text could be stretched out further, mainly. The BG's more lacking though, slightly low res image from IGN with higher res text looks sloppy. At least you admitted that in the readme! The readme was... well it was very similar to what I did minus the last sentence so yeah.

Second Hardest chart - 6/11
It was a chart. It could have done better to stand out, and given the repetitious nature of the song it could have been more varied to compensate. Or at least if it was different during the second run I apparently didn't notice. It's at least serviceable so you get more than half.

Hardest Chart - 7/11
Standard steps and overall works with what the song gives, although as an ITG expert chart there shouldn't really be any doublestepping, which was present at a few points. Cute thing with the mines around 2/3 through the song.

Tilt - 2/3
Well, you have extra charts. That puts you ahead of everyone else in the sub-bracket in that area, apparently!

Total 19/30

Empire State Glory

Presentation - 4/5
Although I know ITG's graphics are sometimes... slapped together (for lack of better term), the banner's artist bugs me. Maybe it's because the beveling doesn't work well with the theme (ROBOOOOOTS) and font choice. The idea behind the banner and BG is straightforward, works well, although I think the black in the BG (ok, there's actually a small amount of unnoticeable noise but whatever) could use something to spice it up. Maybe a Matrix-type effect or some other sci-fi thing.

Second Hardest chart - 9/11
It was pretty good! The only thing I really disagree with is the rhythms at measure 17: I'm pretty sure all the steps in that measure are off by a 16th or something, because everytime I go through that area something muffs up. Otherwise it was enjoyable!

Hardest Chart - 9/11
The parts trying to follow the snare/hihats before the first stream (which are quiet on the setup I'm using) felt forced, and I don't really know what to suggest since what I *would* suggest was done in the other chart. Still, other than that the rest of the chart was great, and the streams look like they'd be fun if I could do them :P

Tilt - 1/3
You get points for the ITG banner, but that's about it?

Total 23/30

Perfume

Presentation - 5/5
The readme was a readme. Graphics are solid, although the "spray" looks tacky in the BG. Kind of on the pink side.

Second Hardest chart - 8/11
I don't really get the point of the triplets, they don't seem to go with anything and they spoil the rhythm. Also not a fan of the one hand where your feet are on LR and you hit down since that's a bit awkward on pad! The ending is also weird, I can't seem to time that last sixteenth properly, mainly because the three gallops preceding it aren't time to go with the first note of the musical triplets. The last thing that is bothersome are the 12ths at the beginning that lead into a freeze; first, there's a gap in the 12th that really wants to be filled since the musical arpeggio doesn't stop for the entire measure, and the freeze is on an 8th, when it would be a lot better timing-wise if it were on a 12th. Aside from these complaints, the rest of the chart was good.

Hardest Chart - 7/11
Part of this chart feels like it's being hard for the sake of being hard. It started off pretty well, but then a bunch of different things pop up that ruin the flow. The 12ths at the beginning suddenly switch the 24ths at the end, and although the audio cues are hinting at that, I don't feel it's strong enough to warrant that. Even if it is, breaking it up into 2 sections of 24ths breaks the flow, if you wanted the added difficulty here you should have made is a solid block of 24ths. The second time this pops up you use a roll, which Would work here if you wanted an easier difficulty. Then, starting at measure 41 these unwarranted mini-16th streams pop up which don't make sense aurally, and if you really wanted them you could have made them follow the background synthwork. At measure 48, some rolls would work instead of the freeze gallop things. Then at measure 49 we have these steps that don't really go with anything obvious and seem to be there just to amp up the difficulty. This general problem is what's really plaguing the file, if it weren't for those it would be a lot better. (It also doesn't help that this song really sounds like the expert should be 9-10.)

Tilt - 1/3
No Roll version and extra graphics gets some tilt, but neither is significant enough to get that much tilt.

Total 21/30

Toccata

Presentation - 3/5
Readme's pretty sparse. The BG is good but where is the banner? The BG doesn't cut it for the banner since the artist needs to be on it.

Second Hardest chart - 9/11
I'm pretty sure that the jump in the middle of the stream at measure 37 is a mistake, and if it isn't then I'll have to dock MORE POINTS because yeah that doesn't fit at all. (And I will dock a point for this because it should have been ironed out during testing.) Overall, I enjoyed the chart. I don't like the speed of the song, but that's not as relevant. One thing I would change are the lone freezes that are an 8th long to 3 16ths long but at this point I'm nitpicking.

Hardest Chart - 10/11
OVerall very solid expert chart, just some really minor double stepping cropped up (measure 34 is the one I remember.) Definitely something I would try out at the arcade, if there were an arcade with r21 anywhere nearby. This chart also furthers my point that this song should be faster argh.

Tilt - 2/3
Ooh shiny movie

Total 24/30

Yakusoku

Presentation - 4/5
Readme, okay posterized graphics although the gradient in the banner artist is out of place. Something tells me the words Cut Out are involved, mostly because the vectoring isn't exactly clean. I'll give you an extra .5 and round it up to 4.

Second Hardest chart - 6/11
The rhythm choices were interesting, but the step placement was less than stellar. The main beef I have is the rampant double stepping. Unless there's some kind of blatant audio cue that calls for it, I'd rather not see double stepping because it ruins the flow. Then again, I don't understand much about the mindset of those that play 7s a lot (the only ones I play are on double, and those definitely don't have doublesteps; also a reason I don't like doublesteps.) I don't really have much else to say <_<

Hardest Chart - 6/11
Yeah, this basically has the same pros and cons as the other chart, although the double stepping is a bit less rampant. Not by that much, but it was pretty not double steppy at the beginning. I mean, clean it up and it could be a lot better.

Tilt - 0/3
This basically has nothing extra going for it.

Total 16/30

Final score thingys and thoughts:

Toccata - 24/30
Basically I want a faster version of this song and some minor fixes to the chart. The movie is what pushed this to the top of the bracket in the end.

Empire State Glory - 23/30
The song choice itself put some awkward choices in the two charts unfortunately, but it pulled through otherwise. Really wish I could actually pass this level of difficulty so I could actually play and enjoy this even more.

Perfume - 21/30
I wouldn't say great song choice out of personal preference, but it definitely lended itself to some good ideas. There were some weird choices in the expert chart and overall it felt like it was trying too hard... to be hard.

Ain't That Funny - 19/3 0
Repetitive song choice, unfortunately as is everything from the Mad World OST (I was contemplating making some files to their music at one point but you know repetition and all that) and some slowdowns or stops at appropriate moments would enhance the file a lot.

Yakusoku - 16/30
I don't like double steps because I mainly play doubles and apparently that bleeds over to my single play or something. Also I don't play 7s on single anymore either so you get possibly biased judging, I guess.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am

Chart grading standards:
11 - Flawless chart. Floors me nonstop beginning to end. Unlikely to ever be found.
10 - Exceptional chart. Displays technical excellence along with engaging, interesting and creative patterns throughout.
9 - Excellent chart. Displays strong technical expertise with a few nitpicks. Patterning is entertaining, but may have brief periods with room for improvement.
8 - Great chart.
7 - Good chart. Technical aspects are generally good with a few noticeable flaws. Patterning is generally entertaining, but may lack creativity or interest at times.
6 - Above average chart.
5 - Average chart. Technical aspects may have some noticeable flaws. Patterning remains fun enough to be worth playing, but may be overly predictable and have significant room for improvement.
4 - Below average chart.
3 - Poor chart. Technical aspects may have some significant flaws. Patterning is bland throughout, or actively un-fun in parts, to a degree that would discourage you from playing the chart.
2 - Bad chart.
1 - Awful chart. Technical aspects may have severe flaws. A chart that is not fun from beginning to end; an incoherent, rambling mess.
0 - Severe technical errors that make a chart unplayable.

Presentation: 2 / 5 is average. Extras and attention to detail move that up. For example, a 5 / 5 file might contain a full set of single and double charts, good art, a lyrics file and a CD title. A 0 / 5 file breaks several rules regarding minimum presentation standards.

Tilt: At my whim. Most files get 2 / 3 unless I really decide I want to tilt a file. Mostly, I use this to single out music I hate :)

Most files will score between a 15 and 18 overall; a really good file will crack 20.

======================
ITG B1.2
======================

Ain't That Funny: 20 / 30

Challenge: 8 / 11
* The freezes in measure 8-9 cross over but never unwind. It can be double-stepped because the freezes don't overflow, but it's not recommended.
* A fadeout ending is kind of weak - a cut right at measure 69 would have worked well.
* The first time I played this I thought it was a bit repetitive, but it grew on me.
* Generally, I appreciated the consistent difficulty and found the patterning interesting and varied.

Heavy: 7 / 11
* A minor nitpick, but there's a place where you transition from a 1 jump to 84. I wanted to take my left foot to the 8 rather than the right. It's not wrong, but it's always good to consider transition.
* I can't put my finger on any one thing, but I found the patterning on this one a notch down from the Challenge. Still not bad.

Presentation: 3 / 5
* Basic art
* Good cut
* Five charts
* Sample start OK but length off
* .old files in folder

Tilt: 2 / 3
I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

Empire State Glory: 23 / 30

Challenge: 9 / 11
* I like the patterning. It does a good job of balancing syncopation with runs, and steps up the difficulty at the end without being too overbearing.
* My primary concern is that the 24ths may be overkill, but they're not unprecedented either.
* Measures 69 and 70 may actually be TOO MUCH constant turning. It's the only part I noticed some significant repetition.

Heavy: 9 / 11
* It does a pretty good job of differentiating itself from the Challenge without going off the wall.
* I'd personally have rather seen more syncopation and less run between 66 and 74, but that's a matter of taste. I don't really feel those gallops though.

* Good-ish art
* IIDX song
* Two charts
* CD title
* Good sample, if short

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

Perfume: 19 / 30

Challenge: 7 / 11
* I generally like the mine patterns here. But not the mine right after the 16th in measure 50, unless ITG machines have *really* tight timing.
* I like the 24ths, but I'm not sure why there's breaks in the pattern to drop back to 12ths. I don't hear a change.
* Nice general flow and use of crossovers.
* There's a short *roll* in measure 48. What's the point?
* I don't hear what you're trying to go to in 70-72. The previous pattern was repetitive, but it was actually in the music.
* I also don't see the deal with the rainbow gallops.

* I think you should have stuck to all twelfths during measure 15 rather than leaving gaps.
* I enjoyed the syncopated rhythms during the verse.
* I did not enjoy the chorus. You alternated between 3 16ths and a jump with no musical cue to trigger it. At least the 8th note jump had a vocal part to trigger it.
* Holding left-right and having a down hand is not recommended. Up is much less painful to hit.
* Measures 71 and 72 have no turns. Mix it up!

* Good art
* Good cut
* Two charts
* Blank CD title?
* Good sample

----------------------

Toccata: 19 / 30

Challenge: 8 / 11
* The first four measures tilt left pretty strongly. It improves later, but you could still stand to turn a bit more.
* Despite the relative lack of turning, it's still pretty fun.
* Measure 30 has a crossover that never crosses back. It's slow enough to double-step, but still.
* I like the mix of rhythms throughout.

* I like the walks here better; they fit more with the music.
* Measure 14 has another crossover that's never uncrossed. It might not be how you intend it to be hit, but it's the most likely way it will be hit.
* I don't follow the step-jump in measure 37. It's not really an appropriate way to deal with the little drum burst there.
* Pretty fun, if a bit uninspired.

Presentation: 2 / 5
* BG from PIU
* Banner is crop from BG without song name and artist
* PIU Movie
* PIU song
* Three charts
* CD title needs transparency
* OK sample

----------------------

Yakusoku: 10 / 30

Challenge: 3 / 11
* The opening's rather fun.
* I was left backwards for a freeze in measure 19. After that, the flow degrades quickly. The quarter-note spins are bearable, but with the sixteenths mixed in it gets ugly fast.
* For the most part, the rhythms are good, but there were a few gallops around measures 45-50 that I didn't quite get.
* It doesn't affect the chart any, but the entire thing should be moved up one beat so the measures line up with the music.
* All in all, this chart feels unpolished for the latter 75% of the song.

Heavy: 3 / 11
* Again, the rhythms are nice, but the patterning is a bunch of spins bridged by a bunch of double-steps. With this many double-steps, I'd definitely call it an 8.
* The lack of flow is somewhat tempered by the fact that there's fewer sixteenths... until the sets of 3 sixteenths show up.

Presentation: 2 / 5
* Decent art
* Good cut
* Two charts
* Random sample

A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:25 am

All scores for this sub-bracket counted. No more scores will be added in after this post.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin