DDR - Bracket 1.3 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

DDR - Bracket 1.3 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:59 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR - Bracket 1.3 Reviews

by Lisek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:58 am

template:
Code: Select all
[b]Song Title[/b] __ / 30
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#FFBF40]__ / 11 - Second Hardest chart[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 11 - Hardest Chart[/color]
[color=#40FF40]__ / 03 - Tilt[/color]

A Lifeless Ordinary 16 / 30
03 / 05 - Presentation
Pretty nice background. Subtitle and artist on the banner are not readable. Preview is set to ok moment, but it feels a second too long.
08 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Beats 36 - 44 don't fit in with the rest of the chart. Overall, solid chart for standard players.
05 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Nothing special. Doesn't feel like 9 footer, more like easy 8. Good job on syncing the ending. Steps are pretty boring, but playable. Around the center of song I think that it is overstepped.
00 / 03 - Tilt
This song feels more like Rock Band song. Hardly fits into DDR. Too long. No bonus.

LOCA 14 / 30
03 / 05 - Presentation
Ok preview. Could be a little shorter. Banner looks pretty good, thought the text should be bigger. Background looks ok, but nothing special.
07 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
This chart feels understepped in some places. The music gives you many chances for great steps, but you don't use them. This chart is ok, but nothing memorable.
04 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I must say, that I'm disappointed by this chart. It had a lot of potential. The steps are copied from hard and some arrows are added. Many arrows are exactly in the same place (for example beats 33-35). I certainly don't like it.
00 / 03 - Tilt
Only two charts, one of them is copy of another. A 180kb simfile file (!!!). Double looks like autogen. No bonus.

MAYBE 26 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
Preview should be a little shorter to loop. Graphics are excellent. You are getting max from me for such quality.
09 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Some moments were ankward, but overall it's a great chart. Slowdown doesn't feel good for sure. I really liked it. I think, that it should be on hard difficulty thought.
10 / 11 - Hardest Chart
It's good. Just plainly good.
02 / 03 - Tilt
Bonus point for fitting song. Bonus point for at least two bonus charts. Could be a little shorter this cut is more ITGish than DDRish.

Sheep Grassland 05 / 30
00 / 05 - Presentation
Preview doesn't feel like it was set at all. Graphics are not following rules (title+artist on BN, title on BG). I'm disqualifing this file presentation.
02 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
The same patterns are repeating and repeating and repeating. It's bad and boring.
02 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Most of patterns are build wrong. Chart doesn't have any flow. It feels like a bunch of random arrows.
01 / 03 - Tilt
Bonus point for two additional charts. Song doesn't feel DDRish.

STARSTRUKK 21 / 30
02 / 05 - Presentation
Banner is ugly, but at least readable. Background feels ok. Preview is ok.
08 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Main idea of this chart is ok. Flow seems ok. There are some problems with patterns though. Overall it feels fun.
08 / 11 - Hardest Chart
It's fun. Some steps in one part of song feel ankward, but other than that it is good.
03 / 03 - Tilt
To be honest, I can see this song in official DDR mix. It feels very nice. Good job on additional charts. This is only song under 2 minutes in this bracket. The lenght is ideal.

Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku 18 / 30
02 / 05 - Presentation
Text slapped on Azu-nyan face on banner. It doesn't look that good. Text on background looks ok but... it's cutted by default theme and by health bars in ITG. Preview is hypnotising ~_~
It feels like 7-footer heavy at least. Didn't like those jumps on karaoke in the first part of file. Rest of the file seems ok.
07 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Too much of karaoke stepping in first part of song. Like in standard, second part is better.
02 / 03 - Tilt
It feels a little too long. I think that one section should be cut to make it about 1:40~. Bonus point for DDR quality song and for bonus charts.

MAYBE 26 / 30
STARSTRUKK 21 / 30
Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku 18 / 30
A Lifeless Ordinary 16 / 30
LOCA 14 / 30
Sheep Grassland 05 / 30

Overall on bracket:
MAYBE looked like strong file from presentation. I wasn't wrong, it is really fun. I thought, that STARSTRUKK will be pretty average, but it proved me I was wrong. LOCA was the most disappointing simfile of all from this bracket.
Posting Member

by Loki » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:00 pm

If you dont have any objection, i will use your template...
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by Lisek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Loki wrote:If you dont have any objection, i will use your template...

Sure, feel free to, everyone can use it.
Posting Member

by Loki » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:38 pm

I dont really want to review this, cause i dont think i can be objective at all wtih Maybe cause i know the stepmaker and its a good friend.
If i have time after reviewing all the other breakets, i will anyways...
But im sure he did a great work as all of his songs...
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey BlueSS, is the minimum score 1 as you wrote, or did you mean 0?

This is unfinished but I'll put the reviews I did get to up right now.

DDR B1.3
A Lifeless Ordinary
Presentation 3/5 Okay. I wish the title text were more distinctive in the banner. I like the CDtitle :)
2nd-Hardest Chart 4/11 This was very dry. It all blurred together, and the steps should've followed the song a lot less plainly.
Hardest Chart 5/11 Too much... the rhythm with all the 16ths in the intro got repeated too much, and when you had jump-step patterns later on in great number, they weren't really all that fun. The difficulty seemed too high for the song as well - this song is fairly laid back.
Tilt - On both difficulties, you should've put in a slowdown at the end and made those last steps into 8th notes. I also wish the song were shorter. Overall this wasn't that great.

Loca
Presentation 3/5 Good background, but the text really needs to stick out more in the banner - make it larger.
2nd-Hardest Chart 9/11 Very good handling of a slow song. I enjoyed your rhythms and your placement a lot. Some parts may have been better emphasized, and it lost steam towards the end, but this had a lot of style.
Hardest Chart 4/11 Parts of this were great, but it had some big flaws. First of all, this is 9 feet - your positioning is very hard. Secondly, why did you copy and paste parts entirely from Heavy? That being said, it wasn't all bad, although the positioning seemed a little strange, but the copied parts are a big problem.
Tilt
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:31 pm

About Loca:

The Challenge chart is meant to be a more challenging version of the expert chart, pretty much like Daikenkai Expert/Challenge, not necessarily an entirely different chart. Think of it as the expert chart is for lower-level expert players, and the challenge chart for higher-level players who love the challenge of going for tricky AAAs/PFCs. Of course it has some weird positioning (but at 100bpm is totally manageable, it's not like it's double-stepping at 300bpm), and yes, you are meant to spin the "voy a sacarte el instinto animal" part, although you can just "cheat" those by switching feet like you can also do on some songs in DDR such as Ordinary World, My Favorite Things and Saturn, and even 5.1.1. I feel you're being really harsh on my song just because I tried something different, rather than done-to-death bubblegum pop/techno/happy hardcore with formulaic/super-predictable steps. :?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Juub005 wrote:Hey BlueSS, is the minimum score 1 as you wrote, or did you mean 0?

Yes, a 0 is indeed a possible value.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Timer Rabbit » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Urgh. I need a break after doing my votes for Bracket 1.2. (And more brownie talk.)

A Lifeless Ordinary
4/5 - Presentation: I like the graphics... Well it's obvious that I love cpubasic13's graphics to begin with. But yes the small font on the banner is hard to read.
11/11 - Second Hardest chart: Perfect. Just perfect.
11/11 - Hardest Chart: Okay. cpubasic13's charts doesn't dissapoint me. For a rock song into DDR, the chart... Is fun. ;O (And it's hard to find the parts I love the most...)
3/3 - Tilt: Well I think I spoil cpubasic13 a bit to much. But for my view, his files are enjoyable, that I even have his simfiles (from his website). So this simfile did not dissapoint me, even though i'm no fan of (soft) rock.

LOCA
3/5 - Presentation: Background and banner is okay. I don't like the white boarder on the background. And the banner could use some work... Make it bigger, arrange it.. The works.
8/11 - Second Hardest Chart: Okay. You have a excuse. It's not that great, but it's alot easier and easy can go to the theme. (I want to swing/move my body and make a freestyle while playing it.)
7/11 - Hardest Chart: Eh. I don't feel impressed at the Challenge steps. Okay it is challenge and it is ment to be hard. Not it's a bad thing, but if I were to play this, i'd play the Heavy chart more... Because I like the fun more than score.
1/3 - Tilt: This simfile didn't touch me that much. Plus it felt to long for me. :S I don't think this song really needs a Challenge chart and Heavy is okay. You get 1 brownie pts though.

Maybe
(Oh god. FINALLY something I would listen to!)
5/5 - Presentation: I went ahead and played this yesterday. I love the graphics. Very pretty with shiny disco balls.
9/11 - Second Hardest chart: My energy would be drain from those jumps, LOL! (AKA a simular "Love Love Shine" siutation) But it suit the upbeat techno-dance song. So I give a plate full of brownies.
10/11 - Hardest chart: Can't way what's wrong with it. But since the steps fit well, you almost get yourself a golden brownie trophie.
3/3 - Tilt: I want to see this on DDR. Really. Pretty song, pretty graphics, and the steps (especially heavy) is a possibility of going into the arcades.

Sheep Grasslands
(Lolwat. Tekken 6 have a epic yodel?!)
0/5 - Presentation: Grpahics are just slap-in photo stock with no text on the background. Though from you, I can see you are not the kind to make pretty Photoshoped graphics. That's okay for me though. But the sheeps... That's a random choice for a Tekken 6 song. xD Though since you didn't look at the rules, you need to add the song title and artist at the banner and the song title at the background. So yea. No Pts there.
5/11 - Second Hardest chart: I still like the yodel jog. But there are some repeative, that I think you are rushing to get this file done. @.@;
4/11 - Hardest chart: I like the beginning part with the semi-yodel jog. Steps make ma giggle... But not what I image. The steps are a bit... Not suited, overall.
0/3 - Tilt: I could have make the GFX for you, but the scoring will not make much of a difference. *Points to the Lunatic Eyes GFX* There are only a few parts I like, but the overall could use a ton of work. (Oh and have a lolipop for your effort at least~)

STARSTRUKK
4/5 - Presentation: Graphics are pretty and you ahve lyrics. But the banner is a bit to simple. :S
9/11 - Second Hardest chart: I think it's good for a Standard chart for the new Stanard-boomers.
8/11 - Hardest chart: I can see this playing on DDR. Some parts are fun to, so you get some love. (I like the whistle parts too.)
3/3 - Tilt: I think it's a pretty good file. Though my mind kind of have dirty thoughts when I jump on the whistle parts. xD

Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku
2/5 - Presentation: Banner could use some work. (A simple text slap-in over the character stock's face. e.e) I don't know about the background if it's really your work or you just found the texted artwork over at some anime-scan/art website. o-o But I would try to arrange it so the rest of the tiel doesn't have to be blocked at the right-corner. T.T
7/11 - Second Hardest chart: A bit better for a stepchart that follows the vocal and some of the sound effects. AKA I can play this pretty effectly and consider it half-fun.
7/11 - Hardest chart: Odd chart that follows witht he song. I can't see this song being over-stepped.
1/3 - Tilt: If I can use Photoshop, I would arrange the text arrangement at the background and banner. T.T Chart is so-so, so you get 1 Pt of tilt.

Total scores:
A Lifeless Ordinary: 29/30
LOCA: 19/30
Maybe: 27/30
Sheep Grasslands: 9/30
STARSTUKK: 24/30
Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku: 17/30

Okay. I hope I didn't over-spoil cpubasic13. But I adore his works and he doesn't disappoint me. So the scores for "A Lifeless Ordinary" is a bit over-top... X_X Meanwhile I also love "Maybe" and "STARSTUKK", which got pretty good points from me.
Artist logo design by Lord Toon! (You rock!)
Posting Member

by Loki » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 am

[quote="Lisek"]template:
Code: Select all
[b]Song Title[/b] __ / 30
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#FFBF40]__ / 11 - Second Hardest chart[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 11 - Hardest Chart[/color]
[color=#40FF40]__ / 03 - Tilt[/color]

A Lifeless Ordinary 22 / 30
03 / 05 - Presentation
Funny background, also nice bnnr, little overcharged, Miss beg dif, but the bg is fun.
Good charts, really i would play with foot when i have time, i liked them, aso you could fix the end slowing bpm instread of using shorter arrows...
Also on the close end little boring.
Btw i think its closer to a 6 or 7 foot, not 5...
Good job
08 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Alittle overjumping use for me, but it nice. Also quite oversteped for ddr, it's nice anyways, had some fun but too much jumps as i said.
02 / 03 - Tilt
Long but good, i think it can fit into ddr as a known song, ddr not allways necesary to be IIDX, beatmania, tecno, hardcore... im tired of that...

LOCA 20 / 30
03 / 05 - Presentation
Good work, also a spanish song :D Also no other difs, you fail at that to get good points
Good but you could do more, lets see oni.
08 / 11 - Hardest Chart
I liked it :S Don't know what, but also reapeated from other dif and still fits with 8.
Good job on some parts, dont know why i liked but its weird.
02 / 03 - Tilt
Look at sm file: Pump-single, pump halfdouble, pump double, pump couple, ez2 single, ez2 double, ez2 real, para single, para versus, ds3ddx single, bm single???, bm double???, iidx single7, iidx double7, iidx single5, iidx double5, maniax single, maniax double, techno single4, techno single5, techno single8, techno double4, techno double5, pnm five, pnm nine, and on ddr steps, sayis copied from, without explanation of all these with these steps you will reamin with a 0 here, otherways you could get a 2
Edit: Said and done...

MAYBE 25 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
Good quality on all ways. Not much to say, you allways do a greadt job with graphics.
Good, some points not likable at all, but great. I liked. I would play again.
09 / 11 - Hardest Chart
It's good. I really like the crossovers but maybe there are too much. But good as a hard song.
02 / 03 - Tilt
I really enjoied it. Good job on all

Sheep Grassland 04 / 30
00 / 05 - Presentation
-
03 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Not enjoyable, not preety good, nothing to make me play...
0 / 11 - Hardest Chart
It's teps but not really liked, tryed to fit steps with a non really good song...
01 / 03 - Tilt
Not likeable song sorry, too long and boring as a song...

STARSTRUKK 19 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
OK with all. No cd titlte, more difs, also liked bg. But you got lyrics and thats a thing that i dont see here often.
Good but doesnt hook me, good charts anyways
07 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Steps, its steps but im not sure i liked it, also you could do better work on some parts, maybe a small stop
01 / 03 - Tilt
Good but dont liked also good as ddr. I didnt really enjoyed, but dunno what to say.

Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku 20 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
Funny one the bg, also as said its cutet, its not a big deal, all difs, CD tittle.
It's ok, also it's too hard for a 6. But they are good, also not fit exactly with my ddr concept. Maybe lot of karaoke
07 / 11 - Hardest Chart
good but quite over jumped and also too much 1/16 streams. NIces anyways
02 / 03 - Tilt
Good song in general, im close to play again but doesnt gets me.

A Lifeless Ordinary 22 / 30
LOCA 20 / 30
MAYBE 25 / 30
Sheep Grassland 04 / 30
STARSTRUKK 19 / 30
Watashi wa Watashi no Michi wo Iku 20 / 30

Overall on bracket:
I liked Maybe as the most of this subb. Also not much really good the others...

I can see i got tired of reviewing, it's the review which left for me of this bracket, so i did 4, it's a tidy work but i look for everyone tries to review all as the can so we can judge better.
I said that i got tired cause as more as i wrote i write shorter, also my judgement it's the same in what points refer...

Now let's replay what i liked and wait for bracket 2
Last edited by Loki on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by The Period » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 am

Loki, you seems to like messy use of 16ths a lot on simfiles, don`t you?
Well, there's nothing wrong if you like that approach, however.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by Loki » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:20 pm

I see weird the overusage on DDR simfiles...
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Loki wrote:I see weird the overusage on DDR simfiles...

Someone needs to play newer DDR mixes other than Extreme.

I made Loca using Stepmania+ Redux, it seems to have a bug that when you save your stepfile, it will also create all those other additional charts. I never cared too much about it since it doesn't affect anything on the main file, but I must admit I completely overlooked that when submitting the file. You have to open the .sm and manually delete all the extra charts...way too annoying xD! I definitely need to upgrade to a better SM version, but the ones I've tried don't support rolls and that bothers me, since several of the newer files I have done use rolls. And I refuse to use SM4 and its GOD-AWFUL theme/arrows.
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah, that's basically the only real drawback about Redux.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Valex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Is Stepmania redux the newest Stepmania release or am I thinking of something different?

It's not like the extra charts really matter though why are people taking off points for it
Posting Member

Next