DDR - Bracket 1.1 Reviews

Negative BPMs?

DDR - Bracket 1.1 Reviews

by BLueSS » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:56 pm

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 0-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

You must review all the files in the sub-bracket for your review to count.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: DDR - Bracket 1.1 Reviews

by Juub005 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:27 pm

All criticism is welcome, I just ask that you be as polite as I am (or try to be).

Final scores:

Disappear - 23/30
Engine Sentai Go-Onger 13/30
I Won't Fall Apart 27/30
In the Fire 15/30
Marshmallow 18/30
Song of Storm and Fire 15/30

DDR B1.1
Disappear
Note: Come on, Welly. You're not the only one who saw that loophole in the rules (I did...) Also, I did this review before I read that the harder charts were beta charts, so I plan to switch and review the easy charts. Bluesy will probably make me anyways :P But you shouldn't really submit an unfinished to a tournament, esp. when it's the harder charts that need to be finished... although it's true you could call the files with only 2 hard-level charts or at least 1 hard-level chart incomplete. In any case you get two reviews for free :)

Presentation 3/5 Minimalist, but acceptable. (Text appropriately stylish, background image is nice, but using a picture of the group isn't a very original choice...)
Second-hardest chart 11/11 Perfect beginner chart. Beginner charts are not very hard to make but sometimes they're made very badly and this was not the case here.
Hardest chart 7/11 The first chorus was reeeeally boring. The fact that it's 1 foot doesn't mean you had to do what you did there. Apart from that it was fine and you recovered later.
[[[[[[[Edit Standard 3/11 You better not be one of those people who thinks that if a chart is x feet, it should be x feet throughout... because this is certainly not 3 feet throughout. That's fine, but the first verse and the second chorus are just not interesting at all.
Edit Heavy 8/11 A good 5-footer. I've stepped this song before myself, and I was pleased by the originality of the rhythm choice (and the fact that you somehow didn't use ANY of my rhythms, haha). It gets a little awkward at times but the awkwardness is rather easy to ignore. It flows very well.]]]]]]
Tilt 2/3 Call this the Maltese sympathy vote for the UK.

Engine Sentai Go-Onger
What is a go-onger?
Presentation 4/5 The alignment is odd in the banner... you should've centered it like in the background. It's like you're avoiding the CDtitle. (If that's what you're doing, make a transparent CDtitle!) The background is very pretty.
2nd-Hardest Chart 5/11 Some of that positioning got stale... it felt like there was too much lingering on the left and right arrows. There was something relatively unexciting about this.
Hardest Chart 4/11 The patterns here weren't very interesting. You used a lot of arrows but didn't do much with them.
Tilt 0/3 The style of steps here felt robotic, including Double Heavy. They really had none of the playful musicality that was in the song.

I Won't Fall Apart
Presentation 5/5 I've gotta be honest... it feels as though I've seen this exact text before, the stuff in the banner, I mean. The CDtitle is great and so is the background, though.
2nd-Hardest Chart 10/11 Really close to 100% awesome. The only part that I didn't like was the beginning of the chorus - I felt like that didn't hit as interestingly as it could've and it's too bad. But seriously -- this was extremely lively and I really enjoyed it, awesome job.
Hardest Chart 9/11 Pretty interesting, I like. Great intro! The first half of the chorus - the small sections of solely quarter notes don't seem justified. Meanwhile the second half of the chorus is pretty awesome actually. Could be just a tiny bit more interesting but it's fun to hit all those different jumps and stomps. I wonder if this could've been better with a little more following the vocals?
Tilt 3/3 A well done file.

In The Fire
Presentation 3/5 It's okay, decent choice for background image. You should do more to the text.
2nd-Hardest Chart 5/11 Calling this 8 feet is false advertising, just look at that groove radar! This should be a 9. The beginning was quite good. The sections that were copied and pasted weren't good enough to see them repeated - they follow the song's rhythms a little too closely to be all that enjoyable. Then, the chorus had really uninteresting rhythms (following the vocals and then long streams).
Hardest Chart 6/11 Was this made to be like a DDRMAX-style chart? If so, I think you came pretty close, but you overdid it. There wasn't really a break from intensity in any of this, and it felt like you made this chart to be played with a bar. Altogether it feels like overkill. Still, each section is fairly interesting.
Tilt 1/3 Be careful with copying and pasting - make sure it's good enough to do it again.

Marshmallow
Presentation 3/5 It's okay. Artist text should've looked different from title text, and it doesn't stand out. Good color choice with title. Not a big fan of the CDtitle...
2nd-Hardest Chart 6/11 Some sections were fun, but overall this felt pretty flat. Those quarter streams got really boring.
Hardest Chart 8/11 A speedup very well handled - I've never seen that before in a Stepmania chart. Well done. You chose a song with a lot of interesting rhythms to follow, and you followed them deftly. I
wish the positioning were a little more creative, though.
Tilt 1/3 - I wish the cut were a little shorter, especially since this song was not pleasurable. Also, the steps are lacking a certain spice to it.

Song of Storm and Fire
Presentation 1/5 The text isn't very interesting in font choice or otherwise, and the beveling in the banner isn't pretty. And an anime screen capture or wallpaper isn't generally a creative choice (I didn't think it was here, either).
2nd-Hardest Chart 5/11 My eyes widened when I saw the groove radar. Too hard for 5 feet, and that section with the freezes RDLDRULUR etc is perhaps too hard for Standard - if someone doesn't get how to do that they're going to fail. Freezes very often too long, and the jump section has the same problem as in your Heavy chart. Decently fun but you should cool the difficulty a little.
Hardest Chart 6/11 Ok, I enjoyed this way more than I was supposed to! By that I mean, there are what I'd call amateur mistakes here. A lot of your freezes are unnecessarily long, and the part after the pause with little action didn't seem like a good idea. Also, the part with so many jumps was acceptable, but then you did it again and that was a very bad idea - it needed to be something different. However, this chart was great at building with the music, and the last 8 measures were really cool.
Tilt 3/3 - This was the file where the steps felt the most musical to me, and it shined not just by comparison. Amateur mistakes can be forgiven in my book.
Last edited by Juub005 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Posting Member

by Loki » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 am

You didnt talk too much about tilt... and another thing, im spanish, can you explain what exactly is tilt?xD

EDITED to avoid double post:

Disappear 10 / 30
I dont know what steps look, i will for the not edit ones cause edit cant be used...
03 / 05 - Presentation
Normal, accetable, nothing really to say, the girls are hot but its not enought... Used the same image and modifed, not really special for me...
04 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Alteast you tryed it, i think you had time enought to do something little hard and leave the easy steps as a complementation
03 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Maybe its 1 foot or 2, but this is not a song, if you give this synked to anybody could do more in 15 mins. I dont think it's much to be on this contest. By the other hand, i would animate you to continue, you did an excelent work if its one of your firsts songs...
00 / 03 - Tilt I dont think you desever anything for an unfinished work as this...

Engine Sentai Go-Onger 19 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
Very nice, i like it, missing video or atleast a good CD tittle to get a 5.
07 / 11 - Second Hardest chartExciting song make steps really fun and lovely, atleast it's fun to dance, nothing much to say....not excelent
07 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Happy song as i said, you could do something better and less repetitive in some ways, but good one to want to play again in other moment...
01 / 03 - Tilt
You did a song, its enought to get something...

I Won't Fall Apart 23 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
If i can put a 4.5 i would put... It's nice but not exactly what i would want... great cd tittle, very acording bg and background without looking exactly repetitive but it is in fact, and thats what it makes me the 4 and not the 5, but i give 5 for making all dificulties....
09 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Good for a dif chart, really nice, but i dont think the arrows like LLD or anyithing like XXY fits much. I dont like too the end, it doesnt fits too. But good job btw.
08 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Nice, but i wasnt exactly what i spected after playing dif. Close to jump abusing, also funy. You could do something better in my opinion but its a song stye and you follow it fine... Good job as a entire song.
(Still dont like the end part)
01 / 03 - Tilt
I dont really feel the song but you did it

In The Fire 17 / 30
04 / 05 - Presentation
Average, not fits all with the tittle and font not much original or great. No CD tittle also. I was 3, but i give 4 for making all dif.
07 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
In my opinion 6.5 xD... Really too hard song for a 8, and if this was itg it could be 10... Not all fun but fine, its playable.
Did i said too hard to be enjoiable... the word is not hard, it's change dificult during the song, too hard in some parts...
05 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Definettly this is like a ITG song... Really hard, do you have seen anything like this on DDR with 9 foot? (Discarding konoko...)
Dont like, funny but too hard, when i play ddr i dont look for that hard steps, not ddr essence for me...
01 / 03 - Tilt
You work you get 1

Marshmallow 28 / 30
05 / 05 - Presentation
Good Bnner but strange, also big cd tittle for me...
But the video is really really great and fun, its really gooood, it deserves the 5 for that, i really enjoyed the first play. Thanks for that fun moments...
09 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Nice and fits really good with the difficulty, and the slow parts are really in a good position...
11 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Speed up remembers me to Robotix, but its on a diferent way, i dont feel it on the song, but the rest is really fun, except too much repeating steps, or jacks, call it as you want. Any other part of the song it's really really really fun and good, this is getting one of my favourite songs... really fun to play with feet...
03 / 03 - Tilt
Really really great, fun and hook me...

Song of Storm and Fire 14 / 30
03 / 05 - Presentation
(2.5 in my opinion) I dont like banner, bg its quite good enought, what does mean that cd tittle? i supouse it's your stepmaking sign....
04 / 11 - Second Hardest chart
Too fast start, you dont give time to get the song before the first step. Also little dificult for a 5 including that crossovers...
Too much juuuumps, and then that freezes kills me... the next would be quarter streams not? (I say all of these asuming this is a 5 foot, also the steps doesnt fit at all...
06 / 11 - Hardest Chart
Yeah, the end is fine, but after playing it, i dont think its good enought to want to play again in other moment... Also too much jump and too much fast start.
Acceptable in my opinion but not the best.
00 / 03 - Tilt
It doesnt get me... you would get a 1 if you had done a readme...

Disappear 10 / 30
Engine Sentai Go-Onger 19 / 30
I Won't Fall Apart 23 / 30
In The Fire 17 / 30
Marshmallow 28 / 30
Song of Storm and Fire 14 / 30

I think i did my best...
If im not objective tell me.
Also apologize for my english...
I spect i will do the other sub-brakets later... now im doing the second one

EDITED TO ADD TILT AND COLORS WITH TEMPLATE OF Lisek
Code: Select all
[b]Song Title[/b] __ / 30
[color=#40BFFF]__ / 05 - Presentation[/color]
[color=#FFBF40]__ / 11 - Second Hardest chart[/color]
[color=#FF0000]__ / 11 - Hardest Chart[/color]
[color=#40FF40]__ / 03 - Tilt[/color]
Sorry for my english
Posting Member

by Timer Rabbit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Hello! I'm new here, but I bet some people know me... But yea, just be fair that i've been lurking at this forums because one of my friends participated in this tourney... And it wouldn't be fair if I did download it but did not put my review. So.. Here it is! (Help me if I did a blooper on the scoring system.) And mind the talk of brownies.

Dissapear
2/5 - Presentation: Plain and simple portrait background with text slapped in from Photoshop. It's okay though. And I think it had a video, rigth? I havn't seen the vid yet, but ATM i'm lazy to fix the file.
3/11 - Second Hardest chart: Setting to Autoplay on Beginer so I can view the chart. Alot more newbie-friendly with less freezes.
4/11 - Hardest Chart: I'm playing the Light chart. If I know from memory, i'm not allowed to rate any Edit charts... It's not that great, but at least the arrows match the song.. So it's okay...
0/3 - Tilt: No words to spit out. :S

Engine Sentai Go-Onger
Ryu* is love.. End of story.
4/5 - Presentation: Oh god the background is pretty. Banner is good too, but I did not see the CD image.. Which I think that explains the song title scooted to the left? I still like it though. :)
9/11 - Second Hardest chart: Oh god darn it. I like the Standard chart more. Well i'm more of 7-footer player. So if this goes onto a DDR game, i'd so play this song first on the Standard Difficulty! Though some parts make me want to trip, but that can be forgetfull if I can get my DDR pad pluged in...
7/11 - Hardest Chart: NNNNGGGHHHH!!!!! Average chart or not i'd play this song like crazy just because i'm a Ryu* fangirl! Though it's not that great, I have fun at certain parts.
2/3 - Tilt: I don't know what that means. But any Ryu* fangirl like me would play any Ryu* song on DDR...

I won't Fall Apart
4/5 - Presentation: Graphics look nice, enough to be on the DDR machine.
6/11 - Second Hardest chart: Eh. Cookie cutter much? Though it's still more fun and relaxing than the Heavy chart... Overal I got the average look. :S
8/11 - Hardest Chart: Lot more fun than the song above me. It goes well with the song, but not sure on the jumps. But you get extra brownie points anyway.
1/3 - Tilt: You get something at least. I would play this on DDR, but not much as the above song. :3

In the Fire
3/5 - Presentation: It's okay. Though I like the renders and all, it doesn't suit the title. But i'll still give your brownies for even dong better GFX than what I can do... (If you want to see what I mean, stay tuned to Hiro Konobu's file...)
7/11 - Second Hardest chart: If you didn't know, I was looking at Loki's review.. So sorry if my words are simular to his. But it's true that the chart feels like a ITG chart. But the Heavy chart looks alot more funner nad have interesting steps. But again, doesn't have the DDR feel, so you get half the brownies.
5/11 - Hardest Chart: Ooh a Challenge! But oww! Feels like a ITG chart allright. X_X It's fun for my keyboard, but I can't image this on DDR (unless Komami decides to bring charts like this one day onto the arcades...)
1/3 - Tilt: I'd play again for keyboard. On pad? Not much.

Marshmallow

Oh god. I'm hungry now... Or if you think of the more adult image... >< I love the song though.
5/5 - Presentation: The graphics are so-so. But the movie is like the ultimate eye-candy with a dance and a cute mashmallo guy. God I want to take the mashmallow guy!!!! Oh but you get brownies with icing! <3
10/11 - Second Hardest chart: (Man. It sucks that i'm be scodded by my mom during a game. T.T) Ahem. I like the standard chart more for this song. Don't know what is wrong with it too to get a 10.. But I guess you can say it's hard to find the perfect file for me.
9/11 - Hardest Chart: Whoh! Speed gimicks! But for a song with a 8-footer.. I'd play it even if it means to fail. It's like a guilty pleasure...
3/3 - Tilt: No need to say more. <3

A Song of Storm and Fire
OMG I love that track from Tsubasa! (Yuki Kajiura touched me when I used to watch .hack//SIGN...)
2/5 - Presentation: Graphics are... So-so. Not that good, but I think you and I are at the same level. Except I could have picked better font, find a non-squished Tsubasa wallpaper/artwork (with artist credit please) and do some tweaking to make it decent. (Stay tuned once I point out at my rushed GFX for Hiro's files...)
5/11 - Second Hardest chart: Cookie cutter. Though the jumps are okay if you are burning carbs.
5/11 - Hardest Chart: A simple straightforward stepchart that I can't ask more about. I like the end though. But that's it.
0/3 - Tilt: Average file. Not that great and I know you can do better than that. @.@

Total:
Dissapear: 9/30
Engine Sentai Go-Onger: 22/30
I won't Fall Apart: 19/30
In the Fire: 16/30
Marshmallow: 27/30
A Song of Storm and Fire: 12/30

Yea. I wasn't lying. I like Engine Sentai Go-Onger and Marshmallow from this bracket.

P.S. Tell me if I did something wrong? I still don't get the tilt other than "cookie-cutters" of the second hardest chart.

P.P.S. I'll get to Bracket 1.2 once I feel better. I only got 2 songs rated so far in my Notepad...
Artist logo design by Lord Toon! (You rock!)
Posting Member

by Braeden47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Disappear
Presentation 1/5
Graphics are decent but not professional looking. Needs some harder difficulties. The standard and heavy should be regular
charts instead of edit. I was very bored playing this song.
Second "Hardest" Chart 4/11
An okay beginner chart, but arrows are too spread out even for beginner,
"Hardest" Chart 4/11
This would be a fine beginner chart, but too easy for light and way too easy for the hardest difficulty.
Tilt 0/3
Where's the harder difficulties?
Total: 9/30

Engine Sentai Go-onger
Presentation 4/5
The graphics are good, but the song title is kind of difficult to read. Bonus for full difficulties.
Second Hardest Chart 7/11
There seemed to be several parts consisting of easy quarter note streams. This seemed like more of a 6 footer. More 8th notes
could have been added.
Hardest Chart 9/11
I liked the freeze arrow and jump usage to accent the song. It's a good 9 footer. I don't care for the LDRDLURUL style

crossovers.
Tilt 3/3
I could definitely see this song in DDR.
Total: 23/30

I won't fall apart:
Presentation 5/5
The graphics look like they would be in a DDR game, and there are full difficulties.
Second Hardest Chart 8/11
Better than the heavy chart. This should probably be a 6. I liked the parts with 4 8th notes at the beginning of the song
Hardest Chart 6/11
I thought I saw a few double steps. Not a fan of the jumps near the streams. There were some parts of the songs with no
steps. This should be rated an 8.
Tilt 2/3
This sounds like a good DDR song, but the charts and ratings could use some minor fixing.
Total: 21/30

In the Fire:
Presentation 5/5
The graphics are interesting, they remind me of IIDX. Bonus for making full difficulties.
The 16th usage here was more reasonable, but this is more of a 9. It has the same 4 jumps problem as challenge.
Hardest Chart 6/11
This would be a good ITG 10, but you went a little overboard on the 16ths for a DDR chart. The 8th note crossovers were good,
but I did not care for the 16th crossovers. The series of 4 jumps with freeze arrows could lose the freeze arrows, they don't

sound like they go to anything.
Tilt 2/3
This is a little ITGish for DDR.
Total: 22/30

Marshmallow:
Presentation 5/5
The graphics look like they were from a DDR game. Bonus for including the video and full difficulties.
Looked like a typical standard chart. It could use a few more 8th notes, there seemed to be a lot of quarter note runs.
Hardest Chart 9/11
The speedup was interesting but seemed out of place in a nonboss song. I liked the taps to accent the claps.
Tilt 3/3
Full difficulties, a video, and an interesting set of speed changes and stops. This seems like it could be a OMES song in

DDR.
Total: 25/30

Song of Storm and Fire
Presentation 2/5
The banner is okay, the text in the background is hard to read and looks like it was quickly added to the picture. There are full difficulties.
Second Hardest Chart 3/11
Too unbalanced in difficulty, there are easy parts and crossover streams. Should probably be rated higher. Didn't like the
forced crossover freeze arrows.
Hardest Chart 5/11
Too many quarter note jumps and freezes. The chart had a lot of drill patterns . It didn't follow the music and seemed to
switch from streams to freezes or jumps randomly.
Tilt 0/3
Song does not really fit in DDR.
Total: 10/30

Scores
Disappear 9 / 30
Engine Sentai Go-Onger 23 / 30
I Won't Fall Apart 21 / 30
In The Fire 22 / 30
Marshmallow 25 / 30
Song of Storm and Fire 10 / 30
Posting Member

by Greg » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:18 am

Disappear 08/30
01/05 - Presentation
The banner is nothing special. The picture is stretched and the title is overlapping the girls' faces. The background is just a gradient with a photo, but the title looks quite good.
03/11 - Second Hardest chart
Only 3 points, cause it's just a beginner. As for a beginner chart it's okay, but it's definitely not a chart for a tournament...
03/11 - Hardest Chart
Seriously, a light chart being the hardest chart in a song? Plus it's just the beginner chart with a few arrows added, it's mostly exactly the same as the beginner chart.
01/03 - Tilt
1 point for the bonus, edit charts. I don't understand why are they put in the edit charts, you could put them in the standard and heavy charts, maybe then you would get more points...

Engine Sentai Go-Onger 25/30
04/05 - Presentation
Very nice graphics, though the title in the BG is hard to read and the one in the banner is a bit too big, you can hardly see anything except for it.
09/11 - Second Hardest chart
Cool chart, I bet standard players are gonna enjoy the jumps, they go along very well with the song!
09/11 - Hardest Chart
Great stepchart, it's a really cool 9 footer :) It has nice streams and it reflects the music very well.
02/03 - Tilt
Tilt for the double charts :) They look very fun to play, I wish I had 2 dancepads to check them out :) Too bad you didn't include a CDTitle and lyrics, it would be 3 points then :P

I won't fall apart 20/30
04/05 - Presentation
Very good, I like the graphics :) The BG looks great, maybe I would only try to change the background colour in the banner, but still, it looks great.
08/11 - Second Hardest chart
Nice, DDRish (xD) stepchart. Really fits this category. Too bad there are also some double-steps, IMO they really spoil the fun while playing a song...
08/11 - Hardest Chart
Also very nice chart. It's fun to play and it reflects the music well. But it contains some double-steps, too :(
00/03 - Tilt
There's not really anything to tilt it for. The CDTitle is nothing special.

In the fire 16/30
04/05 - Presentation
Nice graphics, this red theme goes along with the song well.
06/11 - Second Hardest chart
It's too hard to be a 8 footer. I would call it a hard 9 footer. Double-crosses in an 8 footer chart? That's a bit too hard. Also, it feels like the chorus could be stepped more exactly, some streams feel like they were starting one note too fast/late.
06/11 - Hardest Chart
It's definitely not a 9 footer! IMO it's 10 footer. It has quick streams on 16th, they're too hard for a 9 footer. Plus this chart is copied from the heavy chart with arrows added, it looks almost the same.
00/03 - Tilt
Nothing to tilt it for. No CDTitle, bonus charts or lyrics.

Marshmallow 18/30
03/05 - Presentation
The banner and the BG look nice, the title is quite similar to the original logo, but it's a bit too wavy. The colors are nice and fitting very well.
07/11 - Second Hardest chart
Nice and easy chart for the standard players. The chorus is more energetic than the rest of the song, I like it :) Good 6 footer.
07/11 - Hardest Chart
The steps perfectly reflect the music, but for some reason it's not so fun to play... it's hard to say why, some of the streams just feel boring. I like the spins :) They're easy and fit the moment in the song.
01/03 - Tilt
1 point for the funny video :P

Song of storm and fire 12/30
01/05 - Presentation
The banner is terrible, it has boring colors, the titles are too dark, it's hard to read. The BG is quite good, but you've just added a plain text on a picture, nothing special.
05/11 - Second Hardest chart
Holds aren't supposed to reflect the moaning of the singer, you've exaggerated with them in the chorus. There's also too many jumps in the song and I think that not many 5 footer players can do crossovers, that's why they can be a bit too hard for a 5 footer.
06/11 - Hardest Chart
Again, the same thing with the holds and jumps, too many of them. Some streams are nice and fit the song, but other than that, it seems boring.
00/03 - Tilt
Nothing to tilt. The CDTitle is... weird, it's just a head without any title or anything...

Disappear 08/30
Engine Sentai Go-Onger 25/30
I won't fall apart 20/30
In the fire 16/30
Marshmallow 18/30
Song of storm and fire 12/30

My winner is definitely Engine Sentai Go-Onger :) Disappear takes the last place and the most disappointing (but not the least!) was Chmurek's chart, Marshmallow, I expected something Gee-like from him :(
Posting Member

by Miki » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:32 am

Grading
Presentation - /5 - Given based on background, banner, background video if any.
Second Hardest Chart -/11 - Usually played second.
Hardest Chart - /11 - Usually played first.
Tilt - /3 - Given for extra (and good) charts, informative/funny readmes.
Comments: Has no bearing on grading. Overall impression.

Marks
+ Good things.
- Bad things.
~ Neutral things.

disappear - 11/30
Presentation - 2/5
+ Cool font.
- Group picture background is not very original.
Second Hardest chart (Beginner) - 4/11
- Played like basic but with less freezes.
Hardest chart (Light) - 4/11
- Pretty dull even for basic steps. Could have been way harder for a 1.
- Some steps could have set to maybe the beat instead of the vocals.
Tilt - 1/3
+ Edit charts ._. Not particularly spectatular ones though.
Comments: I am sad to see that the first file of Best Mix 4 bracket 1 sub-bracket 1 is this. It's like some vile attempt to get people to hate this song.

Engine Sentai Go-Onger - 23/30
Presentation - 3/5
+ Super Sentai! And super cool artist fonts!
- I am not totally liking the song text. Seems a bit too fuzzy to be readable.
Second Hardest chart - 9/11
+ Follows the music more so than the vocal, which is actually way more fun!
Hardest chart (Heavy) - 8/11
+ The 8th note runs are fun! Also they follow the vocals/music very well. However...
- That seems to be all this song is except towards the end with the jumps.
~ I like the occasional hits with the music, but they feel a bit lacking in power. For example, adding a jump after the "whip" sound effect takes away from adding a step to the sound effect.
Tilt - 3/3
+ Light and Beginner chart.
+ Doubles!
+ Informative ReadMe. I PLAYED THE FILE BEFORE READING IT GEEZ
Comments: This feels like it could go on a DDR Mix in an alternate universe.

I WON'T FALL APART - 23/30
Presentation - 4/5
+ Official looking, cool purple background.
- The green song title looks so radioactive and vomit-inducing...
Second Hardest chart - 9/11
+ Simple, but not boring steps. Well-timed jumps.
Hardest chart (Heavy) - 8/11
+ Large variety within the steps, easy but fun. I liked the triple 8ths going with the vocals.
- The ending seems a bit odd. Maybe my speakers aren't loud enough but I can't figure out what the steps with the freezes follow.
- The freezes at the beginning didn't seem all that necessary.
Tilt - 2/3
+ Light and Beginner chart.
+ Very complete ReadMe.
Comments: Solid, official-looking file. The only thing that bothers me is the ending.

IN THE FIRE - 17/30
Presentation - 3/5
- The text doesn't seem to blend into the background.
Second Hardest chart (Heavy) - 7/11
- The opening could have been something other than constant freezes.
~ Plays a lot like Heavy, just no 16th runs and a bit more balanced steps.
Hardest chart (Challenge) - 6/11
- To confirm my suspicions, I ran the chart through a stepchart generator, and just as I had thought, the 8 measures at the end is the same as the streams at the beginning. Not very original. People stopped doing that since 3rd Mix (I think).
- I am not really liking the freezes going with the vocals.
Tilt - 1/3
~ Standard, Light and Beginner charts. Standard chart is okay. The beginner chart has too much LR and UD action though.
Comments: I have never played Walk It Out, but I surely don't want to walk to this song. I would probably just run in fear or being in the fire or being on fire or something.

Marshmallow - 23/30
Presentation - 4/5
~ Fluffy font, but a picture of the food item is not so fluffy...They look so dried out.
+ Background video! Gigantic walking marshmallow!
Second Hardest chart (Standard) - 8/11
~ Feels okay, gets pretty fun towards the end. I think this can be slightly harder though.
Hardest chart (Heavy) - 10/11
+ Fun chart, nicely balanced between vocals and music.
+ The slow-downs and the speedups are well-timed.
Tilt - 1/3
+ Light and Beginner charts.
Comments: The song is really catchy and cute, which really helps with playing this file since it's a bit long.

Song of Storm and Fire - 15/30
Presentation - 2/5
- Text doens't blend with background.
- Mismatch between banner and song title.
Second Hardest chart - 6/11
- Plays suspiciously like the heavy chart! Just with more jumps during the chorus part.
- The ending LRL, RLR sequences seems pretty lazy.
Hardest chart (Heavy) - 7/11
~ Has a few fun parts, but lacks variety. The freezes felt short.
Tilt - 0/3
~ Light and Beginner charts, but both seems awkward at parts.
- No ReadMe?
Comments: Personally, I would never step a song like this, but this was a good attempt at doing so. It is a beautiful lyrical song but the steps felt bland.

Overall comments:
Technically speaking, I WON'T FALL APART is the most DDR-like and the most polished, but I personally like both Marshmallow and Super Sentai Go-Onger a lot.
Posting Member

by The Period » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 am

:arrow: DISSAPEAR (8/30)
1ST EDIT (2/11)
I knew this issue have come: A 3 footer hardest chart.
it's nice but kinda repetitive in patterns and easy, I don't know how should I handle this last thing.
2nd EDIT (4/11)
Is nice but I don't liked that 3-4,3-4 step, and also you may used better that nice background beating to enrich your steps, and patterns become boring in some parts.
PRESENTATION (2/5)
Simply but OK
TILT (0/3)
Because you tried to make fool of us with such charts.

:arrow: ENGINE SENTAI GO-ONGER (22/30)
I had expectations about this after playing those DDR poor official steps.
STANDART CHART (7/11)
Too easy for a 7. Great patterns but that beat feeling as Standart chart was not completed personally speaking, sure, I am considering that is just a Standart chart.
HEAVY CHART (8/11)
Nice stepping but those crossovers are trilled I mean everybody knows those crossovers.
I personally didn't like that 1-2^n or 3-4^n continued stepping in some parts.
I felt you should put a jump instead of single taps in some measures.
Freezes are predictable and I used to penalize it when using F-F-F on mid-high bpm songs, that's how you get this 8.
PRESENTATION (5/5)
Sweet graphics.
TILT (2/3)
Extra charts.

:arrow: I WONT FALL APART (23/30)
STANDART CHART (9/11)
Everything was OK, but I personally prefer a single double stepping instead of 1-2, 2-1, 4-3 or 3-4. Nice freeze placement and SEB as song choice is made for da win.
HEAVY CHART (8/11)
-Those freezes at the opening killed my taste.
-Jumps are OK
-Those 16th steps on measure 22 fits the music but doesn't feel good while playing.
-I guess that in measure 27 and 28 you avoid a first step that would make that part "too karaoke" but an awful effect is that cuts the flow and doesn't appeal to the dancer. That doesn't happen on measure 29.
-16ths on measure 30 are epic.
-Double stepping on measures 43, 44, 45, 47, 48 and 49 were AWESOME!
PRESENTATION (4/5)
Arts is good as usual but not groundbreaking.
TILT (2/3)
Extra charts.

:arrow: IN THE FIRE (18/30)
HEAVY CHART (7/11)
-Measures 16-17 and analogous in the whole song felts ITGish.
-Freezes on measures 37-38 and analogous fits the song but doesn't appeal to me.
That's all because those were all patterns used.
ONI CHART (6/11)
-The same as heavy but worst because of so many 16ths, and we are on
a DDR bracket, I consider that would be OK if it were like a Trip Machine style, but its more like a Red Zone.
PRESENTATION (4/5)
Not great graphics but suits well.
TILT (1/3)
Extracharts but penalization for harder charts.

:arrow: marshmallow (23/30)
STANDART CHART (8/11)
I can just speak of your effects, because everything was OK:
-The STOP thing was nice as usual.
-You boost up on M53 is a FAIL for me. Fits the song but was absolutely not funny, is disgusting to catch the jump on M59 at that BPM.
HEAVY CHART (8/11)
-same as STANDART, those 16ths in your song are not disgusting but is mainly a karaoke stepping, I penalize your continuated 'cause lack of creativity in that measure.
PRESENTATION (5/5)
Good graphics and a vid... well everyonw loves vids I will be mad if I dont`t consider a Vid.
TILT (2/3)
Extra charts and I think is difficult to make those bpm changes, I would like to know how to do that.

:arrow: A SONG OF STORM AND FIRE (9/30)
STANDART CHART (3/11)
-Your runs are so basic that makes your song feels with lack of character.
-WHY?! What do you wanted to express on M35-36? Those ugly freezes feels too ITG-ish
-M47-54 absolute awful, reminds my past BM3 entry and makes me understand why I had lost... well my runs were harder to understand.
-You failed in step transition from sound before M63 and After M63.
HEAVY CHART (5/11)
-Beginning OK till M5, after that it becomes repetitive and uncreative.
-M13-17 are too basic runs.
-M35-37 shows better use of freezes than Standart.
-M47-54 changed runs, but freezes still kill that measure.
-M55-60 were basic but not disgusting, you made an acceptable transition there.
-M61-63 is thrilled and uncreative
-M63-67 is acceptable.
-M67 till the end is OK
PRESENTATION (1/5)
Simple. But Banner was too dark.
TILT (0/3)
I don't get along with your approach.

Resume:
1.- I WONT FALL APART (23/30): That's what I expected.
2.- marshmallow (23/30): Is the 1st time I dislike a BPM change from you.
3.- ENGINE SENTAI GO-ONGER (22/30): Is a power song, I liked the rythm but expected more variated patterns.
4.- IN THE FIRE (18/30): I know that your assist-tick sounds exactly the same as your song but that's not enough to win a contest.
5.- A SONG OF STORM AND FIRE (9/30): You must practice and practice, but not making stepcharts, play DDR instead, find the charts that you love to play and ask yourself what does this chart has that makes you love to play it, once you know, you can start thinking about what others like from playing in DDR style, then you will be able to offer quality simfiiles.
6.- DISSAPEAR (8/22): I don't know your intentions.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by Greg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:17 am

The Period wrote::arrow: DISSAPEAR (8/30)
1ST EDIT (2/11)
I knew this issue have come: A 3 footer hardest chart.
it's nice but kinda repetitive in patterns and easy, I don't know how should I handle this last thing.
2nd EDIT (4/11)
Is nice but I don't liked that 3-4,3-4 step, and also you may used better that nice background beating to enrich your steps, and patterns become boring in some parts.

According to the rules, the edit charts don't count:
BLueSS wrote:- Judging will only involve the 2 hardest charts in the file (excluding edits)

So the second hardest chart in Disappear is beginner and the hardest chart is light.
Posting Member

by The Period » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:58 am

Really?
Then its score will become worst!
No matter what, he will be in last place for me.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:49 am

Chart grading standards:
11 - Flawless chart. Floors me nonstop beginning to end. Unlikely to ever be found.
10 - Exceptional chart. Displays technical excellence along with engaging, interesting and creative patterns throughout.
9 - Excellent chart. Displays strong technical expertise with a few nitpicks. Patterning is entertaining, but may have brief periods with room for improvement.
8 - Great chart.
7 - Good chart. Technical aspects are generally good with a few noticeable flaws. Patterning is generally entertaining, but may lack creativity or interest at times.
6 - Above average chart.
5 - Average chart. Technical aspects may have some noticeable flaws. Patterning remains fun enough to be worth playing, but may be overly predictable and have significant room for improvement.
4 - Below average chart.
3 - Poor chart. Technical aspects may have some significant flaws. Patterning is bland throughout, or actively un-fun in parts, to a degree that would discourage you from playing the chart.
2 - Bad chart.
1 - Awful chart. Technical aspects may have severe flaws. A chart that is not fun from beginning to end; an incoherent, rambling mess.
0 - Severe technical errors that make a chart unplayable.

Presentation: 2 / 5 is average. Extras and attention to detail move that up. For example, a 5 / 5 file might contain a full set of single and double charts, good art, a lyrics file and a CD title. A 0 / 5 file breaks several rules regarding minimum presentation standards.

Tilt: At my whim. Most files get 2 / 3 unless I really decide I want to tilt a file. Mostly, I use this to single out music I hate :)

Most files will score between a 15 and 18 overall; a really good file will crack 20.

======================
DDR B1.1
======================

Disappear: 9 / 30

Light: 3 / 11
* I'm trying to figure out if a blatant attempt to stick to the letter of the rules while violating the spirit is a severe technical error. I don't think I'm going to go that far...
* But this is dead boring even for a light, and even considering the song. There's so little room for creativity in such an easy chart that you have to really knock it out of the park if you're going to pull

this kind of stunt, and you put up a snoozer. Yeah, it's technically fine, but there's no stepcharting skill demonstrated here.
* Also, during the slowdown, the bass drum is clearly going at the same rate.

Beginner: 3 / 11
* Same as above.

Presentation: 3 / 5
* Basic art
* Good cut
* Four charts
* Sample ends randomly

Tilt: 0 / 3
Trying to dodge the rules = ultra-fail.

----------------------

Engine Sentai Go-Onger: 22 / 30

Heavy: 8 / 11
* The ending was a bit uninspired with just the jumps.
* Generally, I saw a lot of the same patterns, or mirrored patterns, and I felt like I tended to face one way (espeically right) a little long.
* Still, the chart is generally pretty fun.

Standard: 8 / 11
* I still see a bunch of mirrored patterns, but in general I think it's a good cutdown of the Heavy chart, if a bit formulaic.

Presentation: 4 / 5
* Art is a bit hard to read due to the echo and the font, but not bad
* Good cut
* Seven charts
* Good sample

Tilt: 2 / 3
I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

I Won't Fall Apart: 18 / 30

Heavy: 6 / 11
* The opening freezes are nice.
* Measure 16 leaves you crossed over into a freeze and having to turn fully away from the screen. It's possible to avoid it with an earlier double-step, but it's hard to predict that. It's a minor flow hitch, but worth noting.
* I also pity (slightly) the player who bites on the Afronova at measure 24; another run whose consequences are hard to predict.
* Similar things continue to occur throughout the step jumps. There's usually plenty of time to recover, but it's really hard to know if you're trying to get people to flow or double-step ahead of time.
* The step-jumps and patterning may push the difficulty to an 8, but it's close.
* The last 8 measures are really dull; consider a different cut.
* Generally, it's OK, but definitely needs some polish

Standard: 6 / 11
* I basically have the same comments as the heavy, except for the step-jump bit. It's somewhat fun, but the patterning feels unpolished.

* Good art
* Good cut
* Four charts
* Good sample
* CD title

I don't feel like putting much effort into tilt, so 2 is the default unless I say otherwise.

----------------------

In the Fire: 22 / 30

Challenge: 8 / 11
* I like the opening. Very technical.
* On the verses, rather than running seven notes and leaving the 8th out (xxxxxxx-), I think the music lends itself better to leaving the 7th note out (xxxxxx-x). The vocals clearly come in on the last eighth beat of each measure.
* Why'd you do gallops in measure 31 but not in 35? It's the same music.
* Measure 37, even though it's short, is NASTY for a 9. If you must do a sixteenth note crossover, don't do a full pad swing (486) at this difficulty. Consider a pattern like 48286 instead.
* The eighth note jumps are a bit dull, comparatively. But the end patterns are nice.
* Short freezes remain a personal pet peeve.
* Generally, there's more to like here than to dislike.

* I'm hard-pressed to find much else to complain about on this one though. I'd probably suggest not doing the step-jumps after the 16th bursts, (it's not unprecedented, but it's a lot for an 8), and maybe mixing up the patterning a bit more, with a few more turns.

* Good art
* Good cut
* Five charts
* Good sample

----------------------

Marshmallow: 20 / 30

* I like the taps to the claps.
* I don't know if I'm a fan of the freeze overcrossover (as in, the one that fully turns you away from the screen during the slowdown), but it's slow enough to be workable.
* I think I could do without the second slowdown.
* Measures 45-53 are a bit dull... a break is okay, but these jumps aren't really one, and they aren't that fun either. I'd consider cutting this part and using something else in the song to keep it interesting.
* And then the speedup... industrial-grade score-o-cide. It seems like a neat idea in theory, but there isn't really much a player can do to do this besides memorize, which is not my idea of a good time. I'm cool with it on Challenge, but it's rough on Heavy. It also makes it harder to choose the right speed mod to use. It appears to be well-synched, though.
* I don't want to overstate these problems... the remainder of the chart is very good, but I think the middle could be replaced with a different part of the song and it would turn a good chart into an excellent one.

Standard: 6 / 11
* I felt like I was going 1, 2, 1-2-3 the entire song, with very few change-ups. It felt very repetitive.
* The patterning feels fine. There may be a few places where you tend towards one side a little bit, but it's not overwhelming.

* OK art
* Video
* Good cut
* Four charts
* Good sample
* CD title

----------------------

Song of Storm and Fire: 14 / 30

Heavy: 5 / 11
* Those first notes are really hard to latch on to. Leave 4 or so measures of lead time for most songs.
* A full freeze spin is a bit un-DDR-like, but I don't think it's too difficult in context here.
* I think my big problem with this chart is that the song never really goes anywhere. You keep changing up the patterns to try to keep it interesting, but none of the individual patterns pull me in, and the repetitiveness of the song doesn't do you any favors. It comes across as straight-up mediocre.

Standard: 5 / 11
* I like the rhythms early on - they do well for Standard - but the patterning is still dull.
* I'd advise against crossovers like that in Standard. Once you throw one of those down, it's a minimum of a 6, maybe a 7. They do exist on Standard (Twilight Zone) but they're very rare.
* Same with the double jump.
* The jumpy section is also dull.
* Those freeze crosses are a bit of a conundrum... easy for a Heavy player, but likely to throw a Standard one for a loop early on. Again, I'd recommend a 6 for this.

Presentation: 3 / 5
* Basic art
* Video
* Good cut
* Four charts
* Sample ends randomly
* CD title
* No readme?

Tilt: 1 / 3
This song is super-dull.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:01 am

All reviews counted, including The Period's score for Disappear.

No more reviews will be scored for this bracket.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin