BM 4 - RULES & SCORING METHOD

Negative BPMs?

BM 4 - RULES & SCORING METHOD

by BLueSS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:27 am

These rules are a change from what they have traditionally been.

RULES:
One entry per person / per category. You can submit 1 for DDR and 1 for ITG, for a total of 2.
This is NOT ANONYMOUS! - I will not accept aliases. Make a file, and stick your name on it.

General Guidelines
- 20MB zip file size limit
- .SM or .DWI File
- Files to be played in Stepmania 3.9a or 4.0 - any extras that don't work in both versions take note *People may not see your extras*

Stepcharts - Required
- ONLY 2 CHARTS ARE REQUIRED - Why? We're all busy: busy to make files, busy to play & judge files, and if we're all honest these are the charts everyone will play.
- Judging will only involve the 2 hardest charts in the file (excluding edits)
- For DDR Style: No Mines, Rolls, Handplants, shock arrows, etc.
- For ITG Style: All of the above can be included.
- Extra charts may earn you points in the "Presentation" portion of the judging, along with other bonuses like videos, or REALLY good graphics, or funny readme, etc...

Song - Required
- .MP3 or .OGG required. 128 bitrate or higher.
- 0:50-2:50 minute length.
- No restrictions on song picked, however excluding any song with excessive profanity or vulgar content. If someone already registered the song you wanted for this tournament; convince them to change it, or tough luck - pick another.

Banner - Required
-PNG
-256x80 px, or higher multiplier (RECOMMEND at least 512x160)
-AVI Banner optional (Normal PNG Banner Must be included if using an animated one)
-Artist and Title required.

Background - Required
-PNG
-640x480 px, or higher multiple (RECOMMEND at least 800x600)
-Song Title required, Artist optional.

OTHER STUFF
-Readme files: Include one.

SCORING:
All Scoring for the first round will be via public reviews.

There will be 2 brackets, randomly divided. Each bracket will be split into 4 sub-brackets (or less, depending on the # of entries).
The top 50% from each sub-bracket will move on to round 2.

SCORE CRITERIA: All scores must be whole integers between 1-max
/5 - Presentation (2 being "average")
/11 - Second Hardest chart (4-7 being "average" for a chart)
/11 - Hardest Chart
/3 - Tilt
--------------
Max of /30 points

ALL JUDGING MUST HAVE FEEDBACK ON WHY IT WAS GIVEN THAT SCORE! Judging without feedback will NOT be counted in any situation.

Everyone is free to add a Public Review (PR), which will consist of a scoring sheet (using above criteria) for each song in a sub-bracket. The PR scores are then averaged together and the top move on.
You are not allowed to judge any bracket or sub-bracket your song is in!

Round 2 will be a head to head to head (3-way) vote to knock 1/3 of the songs out.

The final round will be 1st round average + points added from a final poll using approval voting (value/weight TBD).

So if there are 40 songs, 20 move onto round 2. 14 songs then go to the final vote.

TO ENTER:
Click the link in the grey box above that says "Reserve your BM 4 Song"
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: BM 4 - RULES & SCORING METHOD

by will-i-am » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Whoaa, only 2 charts. This will be pretty chill then.

But only one entry? I think everyone was under the assumption that we could submit an entry for both DDR and ITG.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:47 pm

will-i-am wrote:But only one entry? I think everyone was under the assumption that we could submit an entry for both DDR and ITG.

I think this is what he means...
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 pm

will-i-am wrote:But only one entry? I think everyone was under the assumption that we could submit an entry for both DDR and ITG.

You can have 2 entries, one in each category (DDR, ITG). I forgot to edit that part when editing the rules from before. :) I fixed it in the original post.
Site Admin

by Dark Luke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:05 am

The 2 hardest chart in each of your songs (maximum 2 songs - 1 DDR, 1 ITG) will be judged. This means you can have a maximum of 4 judged charts in this tournament.

BTW it's been too many years since the number of required number of charts is less than 3 for a DDR style competition! (Tournamix 1?)
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by LK4D4 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 am

ITG question: May we use the "rumored" Lifts? Also available for use in SM4 (don't know about 3.9a).

Also a note to people: making 3+ charts gives better presentation than 2. And make Doubles charts so I have something more to play with. ;D
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 am

Dark Luke wrote:The 2 hardest chart in each of your songs (maximum 2 songs - 1 DDR, 1 ITG) will be judged. This means you can have a maximum of 4 judged charts in this tournament.

Yes, max of 4 judged charts. :) Any other charts are padding for presentation.

LK4D4 wrote:ITG question: May we use the "rumored" Lifts? Also available for use in SM4 (don't know about 3.9a).

Also a note to people: making 3+ charts gives better presentation than 2. And make Doubles charts so I have something more to play with. ;D

Lifts... I remember hearing a bit about them and no one I know liked them. If they're not playable in 3.9a, it might not be good since some won't be able to play your file; but I won't prohibit their use. If you file can't be played by potential reviewers (the public) then it's not my fault.
Site Admin

by Aki » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 am

Does 3.9a support rolls? 3.9 doesn't, and my entry have them. (Made on OpenITG)
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Telperion » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 am

What kind of info should we put in the readme?
Image Image
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 am

Akira wrote:Does 3.9a support rolls? 3.9 doesn't, and my entry have them. (Made on OpenITG)

I think they work in 3.9a but I wouldn't know. I use sm-ssc exclusively now so...
Posting Member

by Aki » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:07 am

We'll have 3.9a users to answer that then. I only use 3.9, and OpenITG.

Telperion wrote:What kind of info should we put in the readme?

Basic song info, step info, your contacts, and a little blurb. You don't have to be VERY elaborate about it, but it's up to you on how you write it.

It can even be a clever message, and does not have to do anything about the stepfile at all, but it's just me. :P
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am

Scoring method added to the original post. :D
Site Admin

by Miki » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:11 am

Do the background and the banner have to be original artwork? I am thinking of cropping the album cover and putting on the song title and artist. Is this allowed?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Miki wrote:Do the background and the banner have to be original artwork? I am thinking of cropping the album cover and putting on the song title and artist. Is this allowed?

Yes, that is allowed; however if you just add the text over the art MSPaint style, I want to warn you that you will receive criticism for it. :)
Site Admin

by Miki » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:56 pm

I did that for previous tournaments (MSPainted the text) and no one called me out on it :|

But the text will be somewhat nice. Thank you for the reply.
Posting Member

Next