Bracket 2 - RESULTS & SCORES *now online*

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Bracket 2 - RESULTS & SCORES *now online*

by BLueSS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Link to Scoring Sheets and Judge's Comments

The top 4 from each bracket will receive:
1st Place - 1.5 extra votes in the final round (.5 for tiebreaking advantage)
2nd Place - 1 extra vote
3rd Place - 0.5 extra vote (.5 for tiebreaking advantage)
4th Place - No extra vote

As this is the first time late entries have been allowed, it was interesting to look at how the penalty affected the scores.
Had both files not received the penalty though, they would have ended up at 5th for Negai and 7th for China Discotica.

Sonic Speed Riders, the fan favorite did not do well with the judges at all. :o

AND WHAT IS WITH 3 FILES WITH TEXT ON CLOUDS FOR THEIR GRAPHICS?! lol. Did we run out of creative juices?
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

Re: Bracket 2 - RESULTS & SCORES

by Oni-91 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:41 am

Shock! Horror! Intrigue!
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

Re: Bracket 2 - RESULTS & SCORES *now online*

by Juub005 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 am

I'll consider it a 5th place :P I knew after Bracket 1's results were released that the late penalty would give me no chance, but it was interesting to see my results anyway. Huge shame about Sonic Speed Riders.

Also, text on clouds is a fairly easy way to do graphics, especially when you have an hour to do them.

Congrats to the four who advanced :)
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 am

Fan favorite didn't advance and I got beat by a file that was re-released? This is madness!

lol, but congrats to you top 4. I'm a bit disappointed my file didn't do any better, but oh well, maybe next time I guess. I'm just really glad that Gee advanced since it was my favorite file from the bracket along with China Discotica, although that didn't advance either.

SONIC SPEED RIDERS wasn't my favorite file, but if it came in first during the PR's and got that bad of the judges review to land it in 8th just goes to show how much judges can change scores at the last second. I think next time we do this, it shouldn't just be the very top files moving on to the finals from each bracket. I remember in past tournies where practically over half the entries in each bracket (and brackets were bigger back then) moved on to the next round, since as we can clearly see hear, judges can affect results by a lot. There wasn't a Wildcard round this time either. And that one time DJ Potatoe was a jugde... well, let's just say the finals for BEST-mix #1 would've totally been screwed had we used the system used here.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:44 am

LK4D4 wrote:Well done BG and Video (although Video size is not to size requirement).

...Am I missing something?? :|
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:00 am

omg I did it :shock:
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 am

Rank 13 out of 16 (10 out of 16 in PRs) :cry: (lol cold noodles excluded)
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by Xythar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:48 am

The start of Colorful Cookie Standard was meant to be a throwback to Candy* Standard. :P
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:08 am

I was gonna say a ton of that file reminded me of Candy☆ and I also got a Sweet Sweet ♡ Magic feel from it during the 16th freeze section. I want to commend you for using hardly any cross-overs, especially during the 8th streams at the end, although you still could have varied the patterns differently. It really reminded me of some of the DDR MAX/MAX2 songs and how they had little to no cross-overs, but were fun and challenging even without them.
Posting Member

by LK4D4 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:44 am

will-i-am wrote:
LK4D4 wrote:Well done BG and Video (although Video size is not to size requirement).

I was looking at the size of all the videos, judging based on quality ("most people" play with a 640x480 or higher resolution) and going with the "Background" rules as a guideline... albeit, there is no mention of video quality, thus I did not take anything out less it be choppy quality (bad rendering). I just wanted to make note of the size issue. Though some odd sized multiples were present (see "Lost", "Sugar Before.." and "Addicted to Bass").
Posting Member

by Zounder » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

It's funny cause Juub was asking me on AIM while he was making his file if clouds had been used yet in images, I said no having only been able to see bracket 1 at that point. :D
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:40 am

Haha :P I also realized right before I submitted the file that the end was more boring than the rest (re: BlueSS comments) and was like oh well maybe I'll fix it after the contest.
Posting Member

by Xythar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:30 pm

will-i-am wrote:I was gonna say a ton of that file reminded me of Candy☆ and I also got a Sweet Sweet ♡ Magic feel from it during the 16th freeze section. I want to commend you for using hardly any cross-overs, especially during the 8th streams at the end, although you still could have varied the patterns differently. It really reminded me of some of the DDR MAX/MAX2 songs and how they had little to no cross-overs, but were fun and challenging even without them.

Hardly any should be 'none' unless I missed someting :P But thanks, DDRMAX was what I was aiming for (as one of the seemingly random background videos may have implied ;) )

LK4D4 wrote:
will-i-am wrote:

I was looking at the size of all the videos, judging based on quality ("most people" play with a 640x480 or higher resolution) and going with the "Background" rules as a guideline... albeit, there is no mention of video quality, thus I did not take anything out less it be choppy quality (bad rendering). I just wanted to make note of the size issue. Though some odd sized multiples were present (see "Lost", "Sugar Before.." and "Addicted to Bass").

The standard size for simfile background videos is 320x240 in almost all cases. The ones I used were taken straight from the official packs of videos ripped from DDR. I've only seen a couple of simfiles with videos at 640x480 and those are usually complained about because they can kill the framerate on many older computers, not to mention that a full length video at 640x480 would have be encoded at much worse quality to fit within the size requirement and Stepmania I'm pretty sure scales it down to 320x240 anyway.

So yeah, simfile videos should be 320x240.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Juub005 wrote:Haha :P I also realized right before I submitted the file that the end was more boring than the rest (re: BlueSS comments) and was like oh well maybe I'll fix it after the contest.

I don't think there's any real need to fix it. It was fun for what it was.
Posting Member

by Jezendar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm last in the bracket, eh? Ah well, entering a rushed file will have that effect. I'll make sure I'm paying more attention next time around.

On the plus side, coming in last with a final score of ~16/25 shows just how good the simfilers around here are!
I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. - Popeye the Sailor Man
Posting Member

Next