Community Pack - Discuss

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Re: Community Pack - Download & Discuss

by Juub005 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:42 pm

jammitch, measures 33 to the end of 48 is what bothered me. 33 is where your sample starts, and I was disappointed that the steps went into a full stream at that point when all the time the sample looped the rhythm in my head was, well, S SSS SSS SSS SSS... e.g. one with red-blue-red patterns starting on the second quarter beat. I think it wouldn't have bothered me had you not used a full stream earlier in measures 17 to 25, I was basically like why another stream (the stream didn't feel very different from the last one either). Playing it now it doesn't bother me as much as it did before, since you did lead into something different (e.g. with double-steps), but I still would've liked to have seen the above rhythm or something else used instead of a stream. It's still a good file, and I'm pretty impressed by the end.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:09 am

I can hear what you're getting at, but I do think there's enough music to sustain a run there. There's a gimmick to the runs there, where it goes normal -> crossover -> HVAM-style double-stepping -> step-jumps. I would have had a hard time legitimizing that if the entire thing wasn't a run. Challenge plays a bit more with the rhythms.

Video reviews are finally up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ac1JAj9 ... playnext=1
In order:
1) ACID, Breaking Free, Bridal Festival !!!
2) Disconnected, Don't Say Indy, Feel Your Love
3) Fire, Gacha Gacha, Hostile
4) Los Ojos de la Mora, Maniac, Night Flight
5) Nobody, OHAYOU, Stupid MF
6) Take Me Out, Vamos A Bailar, Wolves of the Sea
7) Yaranaika, Discoland

Embedding disabled, comments must be approved, drama causes privating, etc.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by JukuGuy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:06 am

If you actually listen to the full edit of that song, it sounds like it goes on by repeat after once the first chorus is done, then it gets all crazy and wild near the ending (which I had to keep so there would be a more climax to the simfile). There wasn't really that much to play throughout editing the song; hence, the long intro comes in twice and I couldn't really fix anything about it.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 am

Regarding Hostile, yes those crossovers are complex. I knew they would be.

But they are second nature to me. :P
Posting Member

by Leticia » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:26 pm

CoreyBlaze wrote:Since when are headache-inducing sims any good? People complain about ddr's bosses becoming gimmicky and then Ohayou happens. v_v

If you read the stepchart and hit it as if there were no tempo changes and stops at all, you'd get Perfects/Marvs.
This account belongs to Trick Master Mint.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 am

Glad you guys enjoyed Bridal Festival !!!. Regarding the comment on how some of the heavy chart is really easy while some has the harder gallops. With the way the song is during the easy parts (with no strong back beats), it seemed to call for easier steps. I thought of it as a break from all the galloping, in case a newer heavy player (or one not used to swing beats) needed a moment to get his wind/focus/etc.. back or something. Anyway, thanks for doing the video reviews.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 am

Leticia wrote:
CoreyBlaze wrote:Since when are headache-inducing sims any good? People complain about ddr's bosses becoming gimmicky and then Ohayou happens. v_v

If you read the stepchart and hit it as if there were no tempo changes and stops at all, you'd get Perfects/Marvs.

So why have tempo changes and stops anyways? It's a shame to spend time on something that I'll just end up c-modding it.
Posting Member

by Ninevolt » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm

I looked at the video review for Discoland. The reason SM crashed is because your version of SM doesn't support rolls.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 am

That's exactly what I figured. I still haven't fired up 4.0 on my main PC, so I can't offer any real opinion of it yet. I just thought it was funny to leave in there :)
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by Leticia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 am

CoreyBlaze wrote:So why have tempo changes and stops anyways? It's a shame to spend time on something that I'll just end up c-modding it.

Because some of us aren't jerks and can actually appreciate simfile design as an artform.
This account belongs to Trick Master Mint.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Leticia wrote:
CoreyBlaze wrote:So why have tempo changes and stops anyways? It's a shame to spend time on something that I'll just end up c-modding it.

Because some of us aren't jerks and can actually appreciate simfile design as an artform.

Whoa there, I didn't said anything wrong to be called a jerk. Focus on good steps, not overdone and silly gimmicks.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm

But that was what the simfiler wanted to do with that sim. Nothing wrong with that.

Especially given there is no one perfect way to sim a song.
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I love gimmicks and though omyou was great.
This special title makes me look cool.

by creativename » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Oh man, I totally missed Best-Mix #3!

Wolves of the Sea! I can't wait to play that one! :D
Posting Member

Previous