The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Re: Community Pack - Download & Discuss

by BLueSS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am

If everyone is enjoying it, I see no reason to stop having Community Packs. :D
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by will-i-am » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am

Nice. The thing I like the most about it is that we have to follow the rules for the Judged portion so we have some sort of competitive feature, but then the Community Pack is just an open pad pack where anything goes and no one feels held back since it's just for fun.
Posting Member

by Chmurek » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:52 am

Dark Luke wrote:Oh, 3/4 means 3 quarter notes per bar - 3 red notes per bar. Which should not have purple notes on the beats. So the song is 190 quarter notes per minute

Depends on what you consider the main beat. For me it would be the main drum which hits at 63,34 BPM (in your file, every third red arrow).
Please notice, that if we treat that drum as a red arrow, then the rest of the clapping goes perfectly on purple arrows like this:
http://a.imagehost.org/0051/threefour.png

Just like bag in DDR Extreme is set to 65 BPM. It doesn't suddenly become 195 BPM when the bagpipes start playing faster, because the drum is still consistent. The bagpipes are 1/24th and 1/48th notes.

You've just multiplied it by 3 so that each purple arrow became a red arrow. But then again, it's only an aesthetic thing. Other than changing the note colors it doesn't affect actual gameplay in any other way. If I remember correctly, 1/24ths and 1/48ths are a pain to read in ITG, because they blend with 1/12ths, so I can understand why you are making your files that way.
That guy who made stuff like Rockhill / Vodka / Artillery / Gee
Posting Member

by Dark Luke » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:08 pm

Chmurek wrote:
Just like bag in DDR Extreme is set to 65 BPM. It doesn't suddenly become 195 BPM when the bagpipes start playing faster, because the drum is still consistent. The bagpipes are 1/24th and 1/48th notes.

Actually, Bag has a different time signature then Los Ojos. Bag's proper tempo should be dotted-quarter=130 (as in IIDX) with a time signature of 6/8 or 12/8, putting red arrows as dotted quarters notes. DDR halved the BPM of Bag, becoming dotted-8ths=130 (dotted-quarter=65) with time signature in 12/16 or 24/16.

And for Los Ojos, 190 is not a multiple of 3. If cutting the bpm to 1/3 the bpm will become 63.333333333333333333333333333333333333...
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by Xythar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:31 pm

will-i-am wrote:lol what's up with night1.mp3? Is that really dj Taka? Haha

No that's from a really old Mafia game, don't ask :P

I didn't even make that front page
Posting Member

by lrxevan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:28 pm

ITT: A bunch of people who don't know how music works. :P

BPM is not something that is readily apparent by listening in most genres of music. Just because a heavy beat equates to a quarter beat in dance/pop music doesn't mean it does in most genres.

Say you have a rhythm in triple meter. The beat is, to your ear:

1 2 3 1 2 3.

Great. But wait. You don't know what the 1, 2, or 3 are. They could each be an eighth note, meaning the time signature is 3/8. They could be quarters, making it 3/4. You just don't know.

When you step a song with a weird or interesting meter, (not 4/4, I guess) you are making your best guess as to what time signature it was written in. Time signature is everything when figuring out a BPM.

Therefore, slowdowns and speedups are entirely subjective. We have our own standards as to what makes them make sense, but I assure you that using the "the song doesn't really slow down" argument is pretty much futile when trying to show someone a slowdown or BPM change/decision was a bad idea.
This special title makes me look cool.

by Dark Luke » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi everyone! I've been playing around some php and came up with this: Pack songlist parser / stepchart submission to itgfreak stepchart generator!

http://r21freak.com/darkluke/bm3community/ - Song list and stepcharts for BM3 community pack

Attached is the source php for this thing. (Of course, requires a php enabled web host)

How this php script works:
-index.php parses every sm file it finds inside the directory where the php files are located, and makes a song list along with all difficulties from it.

Example folder:
astepfile.sm
astepfile2.sm
index.php
smsend.php
stepfile1.sm
stepfile2.sm

-Each difficulty rating is a clickable link which calls smsend.php which reads the sm file and sends it to itgfreak's sm parser for stepchart generation.
Attachments
songlistparser-src.zip
php code for this songlist parser (now with css)
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
Last edited by Dark Luke on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Featuring over 70 songs, complete singles/doubles, difficulty 1-14 - click on banner to see songlist, view stepcharts, and/or download the pack
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:28 pm

irxevan wrote:BPM is not something that is readily apparent by listening in most genres of music. Just because a heavy beat equates to a quarter beat in dance/pop music doesn't mean it does in most genres.

Man if I simmed a raggaecore song that would be the perfect example. See this, especially around 0:52 since that is a good example of what you mean.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:26 am

Nice tool there, Dark Luke. I'll probably use that in the future if I need to.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:06 am

Night Flight is so goooood it's my favorite I love it <3

Fire was very nice too, as well as In The Ruins.

I read that chat log about the community pack, what's wrong with karaoke steps if they are fun? Karaoke is bad when lyrics are very sparse in the song and that's the only thing you follow, leaving a lot of empty space between arrows, which doesn't happen with Vamos a Bailar. >=(

Bridal Festival was pretty interesting. Don't Say Indy felt a bit offsync in some parts but it still was fun, and I hate whoever made Ohayou.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:48 am

To the chat review:
* I put a bit of context about the 12th note jumps in the readme. DTX was supposed to have a new step type called the "decoy". It was kind of like a mine, except that it looked more like a normal arrow, and you actually have to step on it (not hold it) to make it go off. So the idea was that you'd be doing a twisting run around two arrows, say U and D. The first beat you'd have a real arrow on L and a decoy on R, then it would switch for the second beat, then for the third beat they'd both be real and you'd have to jump. It doesn't translate quite so well without decoys, but I left it in there regardless. There's one other song from DTX that I was considering for the community pack, but it just doesn't work without the decoys, and it's unplayable with them as mines.
* There shouldn't be anything fancy in the chart besides mines.
* I'm not sure who rageatm005 is, but can you give me the time in the song where the rhythm bothered you?

Videos are still coming, I swear - I'll probably work on them tonight.
A crossbeats REV. stream? On Twitch? It's more likely than you think!
Posting Member

by x0_000 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am

CoreyBlaze wrote:I hate whoever made Ohayou.

ha ha ha
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:41 am

x0_000 wrote:

ha ha ha

Do you happen to be...the receiver of my hate??
Posting Member

by Leticia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 pm

CoreyBlaze wrote:
x0_000 wrote:

ha ha ha

Do you happen to be...the receiver of my hate??

Oyahou was the best chart in the pack.
This account belongs to Trick Master Mint.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Leticia wrote:Oyahou was the best chart in the pack.

Since when are headache-inducing sims any good? People complain about ddr's bosses becoming gimmicky and then Ohayou happens. v_v

I'm joking about the whole "HATE" thing btw, but I do disagree a lot with that kind of gimmicks.
Posting Member

PreviousNext