New Look

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

New Look

by will-i-am » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Cool.

But it's not winter, you know. ;) lol, it looks good anyway. I'm assuming the background image is of a DDR pad?
Posting Member

Re: New Look

by BLueSS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 pm

It's 90+ degrees here in Seattle, and supposed to be hot all week. I thought a "cool" looking theme might distract from the heat a bit. :P

Besides, it's winter for any participants that might be living in the southern hemisphere. ;)

And no, not a ddr pad. Random brushes I have in my photoshop collection.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Hainaut » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Looks pretty good! I like the new mix banner.
Posting Member

by Super_Ray » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 am

BLueSS wrote:It's 90+ degrees here in Seattle, and supposed to be hot all week. I thought a "cool" looking theme might distract from the heat a bit. :P

I thought the northwest was supposed to have cooler weather. It's crazy hot down here in AZ!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 am

We normally do have cooler weather in the PNW, but for whatever reason we're actually getting a summer this year! Supposed to be up to 101 today! :shock:
Site Admin

by Oni-91 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:26 am

Our summer was last month. We're in a large amount of grey at the moment, and will be until about February when it snows.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 pm

Not a fan of the whole "busy-looking background with some stroked white text slapped on it". Sure, I think I did that a few times for some my old sims graphics but c'mon it's 2009 digital art has evolved.

Just some constructive criticism, no offense intended :mrgreen: .

And yeah, blue is win for the summer, damn you global warming!
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

What has digital art evolved to recently?
Site Admin

by Zounder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:08 pm

BLueSS wrote:What has digital art evolved to recently?

I sat here for awhile trying to think of either a digimon or pokemon pun in response to this, but ultimately failed.

Anyway, site does indeed look good. =D
Posting Member

by CoreyBlaze » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm

Most commercial ads and modern layouts now use grittier, urban-ish, less "organized"-looking graphics and fonts instead of most techno-ish and futuristic look from the earlier 2000's. The background in the new site banner has the first style, and the font definitely belongs to the latter style. The background is so busy and has so much detail that makes the font look incredibly dull and lazy. Please notice that I didn't said bad, but it makes the lack of detail in the text a lot more evident than in simpler graphics.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 pm

CoreyBlaze wrote:Most commercial ads and modern layouts now use grittier, urban-ish, less "organized"-looking graphics and fonts instead of most techno-ish and futuristic look from the earlier 2000's. The background in the new site banner has the first style, and the font definitely belongs to the latter style. The background is so busy and has so much detail that makes the font look incredibly dull and lazy. Please notice that I didn't said bad, but it makes the lack of detail in the text a lot more evident than in simpler graphics.

Or this could be my attempt to bridge the two unique styles into something that reflects both the nature of old simfile competitions by using the older art style, plus the new "current" nature with the chaotic background which represents this urbanized style. By combining both the old and the new, if forces the viewer to think about both periods (if they have that frame of reference), creating a unique mental image that cannot be evoked by defining the art to only one style

:wink:
Site Admin

by Oni-91 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:52 am

I thought modern art was that ultra modern look using 90s German fonts (like the font that my sig's in).
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by Aki » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 am

It's DDR OSC once again xD
We're all soldiers now.
Posting Member

by Juub005 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 am

BLueSS wrote:
CoreyBlaze wrote:Most commercial ads and modern layouts now use grittier, urban-ish, less "organized"-looking graphics and fonts instead of most techno-ish and futuristic look from the earlier 2000's. The background in the new site banner has the first style, and the font definitely belongs to the latter style. The background is so busy and has so much detail that makes the font look incredibly dull and lazy. Please notice that I didn't said bad, but it makes the lack of detail in the text a lot more evident than in simpler graphics.

Or this could be my attempt to bridge the two unique styles into something that reflects both the nature of old simfile competitions by using the older art style, plus the new "current" nature with the chaotic background which represents this urbanized style. By combining both the old and the new, if forces the viewer to think about both periods (if they have that frame of reference), creating a unique mental image that cannot be evoked by defining the art to only one style

:wink:

LOL Don't give me bad memories of art history class :P

Yeah Corey I've noticed that that's the style that's everywhere now, even if you look on a container of Oxi-Clean or some commercial product. Not sure why that is.
Posting Member