BEST-mix 3 - RULES AND INFO!

The simfile competition with the highest completion rate I've ever seen! :D

Re: BEST-mix 3 - RULES AND INFO!

by BLueSS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm

You don't need to post in this thread, just the song reservation/entry thread.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Oni-91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 am

So currently, we're at 21 entries. Which isn't that bad considering not many people sim anymore.
OH, ALRIGHT THEN, IT'S A NEW ONE.
Posting Member

by The Period » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:51 pm

2 questions:

1.- May I include a BGA or BGScript secuence of images and graphics?
If I could, how should be the files (i mean, 640*480 or higher png or jpg on graphics?, 320*240 or 640*480 avi resolution o vids?)

2.- Do you mean by not aliases that we must put our real names in .sm credits?

Thanks in advance.
"Every mistake I make has a proposal, that's why all of them are intentional." - THE PERIOD
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:21 pm

D A N T . wrote:2 questions:

1.- May I include a BGA or BGScript secuence of images and graphics?
If I could, how should be the files (i mean, 640*480 or higher png or jpg on graphics?, 320*240 or 640*480 avi resolution o vids?)

2.- Do you mean by not aliases that we must put our real names in .sm credits?

Thanks in advance.

1 - Yes, as long as it's under the file size limit.

2 - Meaning don't submit under a name different to how you're more commonly known elsewhere. It's difficult to explain, but you can just upload yours in your username. The rule's really there just to make it a truly un-anon contest.
Posting Member

by cpubasic13 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:16 pm

D A N T . wrote:1.- May I include a BGA or BGScript secuence of images and graphics?

Please be sure to understand that many of us do not use the same version of Stepmania and as such BGScripts will not work across versions. I would just need to know what version you are using BGA scripts for and I'll be happy with that instead of going to play a simfile and crashing because I wasn't aware of these scripts.

But for those you have no limits. You can use a tiled 1x1000 gradient image if you want in scripted BGAs given you use it properly. Just keep it under the size limit. Videos, on the other hand, should be restrained to a 4:3 ratio and if you want to get lowest size possible, go 320x240. You can go 400x300 instead and get a bit higher quality, 480x360 if you want to push it more.
Posting Member

by Zounder » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Video's that are bigger than 320 x 240 in Stepmania have a tendency of showing up laggy/stuttered on some computers, but it's becoming less and less of an issue as the average household computer across has gotten stronger over the years.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for the good answers to D A N T .'s questions guys. :)

Regarding #2) No, your real name is not needed. Just an online name that you normally use (so for example, your screen name is ok to use). This is to prevent people from registering with a fake name (like if D A N T . was trying to enter as "BobDole," that would not be ok). :P
Site Admin

by NIQ9 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm definitely in. It's too bad I just found out today lolz.

Just one question, would we be penalized if we had a white banner with just text? My photoshop skills suck xD

also, is there a difficulty limit? There's no way I'm submitting anything under a 9 for the heavy, but most of my files are 10s and 11. If I came up with a good 11, would that be too hard for this since it's old DDR themed?

EDIT: my file is under 10 feet lol.

another question though, if we submit doubles charts, would we get some points on the "presentation"?
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:33 pm

If you blow off the graphics, you will get docked for Presentation. I understand that most people have trouble creating graphics, and I for one can stand to that statement, but at least try to make the effort while creating the graphics.

Doubles, if included, would be included in the Presentation category if whoever judges the file chooses to give points for them. You can't get docked for adding extra charts, whether they be added singles, doubles, couples, or solos charts. You can only gain points, or lose/gain nothing. You'd probably only need the helpful boost in points for extra charts if you need to make up for a poor Presentation score, and in your case with trouble in making graphics, I would advice extra charts if you have the time to make them.

And if you want to just make more charts for fun or practice, by all means do so! I wouldn't mind trying out some creative doubles charts if they're included. ;)
Posting Member

by NIQ9 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Well, I have gfx covered. I may or may not make doubles. depends how bored I am lol
Posting Member

by Oni-91 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 am

NIQ9 wrote:also, is there a difficulty limit? There's no way I'm submitting anything under a 9 for the heavy, but most of my files are 10s and 11. If I came up with a good 11, would that be too hard for this since it's old DDR themed?

As we've seen many times, it's not really the best idea to step a boss chart for a contest, but if you're happy with it...
Posting Member

by NIQ9 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

That's just it though. I don't know the skill level of the judges.

A boss song to me would be a 13 or 14. If the judges have trouble with 9s, there might be a problem D:

My file is labeled a 10, but it's easier than Xepher, Cartoon Heroes, and stuff like that.

It would be really hard on a sightread, but it gets easier with more plays, so I hope these judges are playing these songs more than once.
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

NIQ9 wrote:My file is labeled a 10, but it's easier than Xepher, Cartoon Heroes, and stuff like that.

It would be really hard on a sightread, but it gets easier with more plays, so I hope these judges are playing these songs more than once.

I think all the judges will be able to pass 9's without problems. :)

For judging, the song gets played at least 3 times (once for each difficulty). In terms of replaying charts, it's up to the choice of the judge to do so.

If a chart is properly made in a way that would require a play once or twice before getting it, then you should be fine. If it's very gimmicky though, with something such as unneeded speed mods just to make it "harder," don't expect people to like it much.

But from what it sounds like based on your description, if it's easier than Cartoon Heroes, there shouldn't be any problems at all regarding its difficulty. :wink:
Site Admin

by Ronin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Ossu, get ready for freshman sim ^^.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Speaking as an ex-judge, I personally wouldn't have a problem with a well-executed 10 on Heavy, but I'd prefer anything harder than that to stay as a Challenge or Edit chart. Not everyone agrees with me, however, and I caught flak in one of the later OSCs for entering a file with an 11-foot Challenge chart in the DDR division when there was an ITG division.
Posting Member

PreviousNext