Questions regarding feedback you got for your file...

Drunk Russians, drama with vegetables, and lots of approval voting!

by Aki » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:21 pm

RVN-G wrote:2) Well, some are ok, some aren't. I believe some judges aren't good at playing DDR at all.

Exactly. But for the one who read this and bitched over the phone, back off. You know who you are.

Am I right RV?
Posting Member

by BLueSS » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:31 am

Even with the proposed changes to the winter BEST-mix, I'm still making feedback an essential part of the contest, even without "judges".

Hopefully it'll be more accurate this time around, with more useful comments that will actually help improve your file.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) Feel free to add more as well if you want.
[I make the rules around here]
Site Admin

by Juub005 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:36 am

And for the record, the "/" in my banner wasn't meant to represent "of". It was added to separate the different pictures in my graphics. I know I might have taken the title of my song a little too literally in my graphics, but I really had no choice. Those hours spent after the deadline was set were reserved for creating graphics, which I had all but 1 day to complete. The reason why my simfile was the last to be submitted and the reason why I held up the competition from going any further was because I had to finish up my graphics. If I killed some anxiousness before the files were announced, I'm sorry.

Your graphics weren't bad (they've certainly improved); they were just funny.[/quote]
Posting Member

Re: Questions regarding feedback you got for your file...

by lrxevan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:01 pm

1) Sure.

2) Accurate? That depends. Do I believe their complaints were valid? In some cases, yes. In most, no. I believe the judges played the file once and wrote out their first impressions, but as for really considering why I may have done something a certain way, no, I do not believe they did that.

Take for example a certain file sanchny was playing of mine. He thought that a stop I did was bad, and asked me to double the length of the stop to start it earlier. Once I tried it his way, he had me put it back the way I had it (and we worked something out so that it satisfied us both, but the length of the stop stayed).

There are plenty of times where judges (this is why I don't usually judge) don't really have time to deliberate over every choice made in a stepfile and really consider thigns fairly, so they end up skipping over important aspects of a file.

"These gallops don't make sense." Not gallops, but that's okay. If some of the judges had tried editing the file to suit their purposes they would have found that it was better off how I had it just in terms of aesthetics and rhytmic integrity.

3) Not really. Most of the time, I do what I want. Feedback is nice, but only so I can see if what I like to do conicides with what the public really wants to see. I'm finding that it usually doesn't. My files have high production value but aren't very popular, and that shows. I'm okay with it. When I want to, I can create files whose sole purpose is to be popular with the community (pop, Inspiration) and I've already proven that I can do it, so I don't think anyone questions that anymore.

4) In this tournament?.... no.
This special title makes me look cool.

Re: Questions regarding feedback you got for your file...

by Wellian » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:31 am

lrxevan wrote:There are plenty of times where judges (this is why I don't usually judge) don't really have time to deliberate over every choice made in a stepfile and really consider thigns fairly, so they end up skipping over important aspects of a file.

"These gallops don't make sense." Not gallops, but that's okay. If some of the judges had tried editing the file to suit their purposes they would have found that it was better off how I had it just in terms of aesthetics and rhytmic integrity.

Well, frankly, they should make time. One play is not enough to properly analyse anything but the most generic of files.
Posting Member

by jammitch! » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:25 pm

If you have a half an hour or more per file for 25 files over the span of a week, knock yourself out.
Posting Member

by will-i-am » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 pm

I play each chart only one time for PR's per file and it takes me no less than about 15 minutes for each song. I can only imagine how hard it is to make a "fair" judge review.
Posting Member

Previous